• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Any player that isn't ******** in the DI department won't let you put more than 40 on them.
Maybe... but then how does that explain how I can get at least 47% each combo? And that's WITHOUT the follow up. Obviously everyone I play can't be DI ********.

And really it's not too hard, because even if the combo ends early I can still follow up 80% of the time because my opponent is so close.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
I had a blast playing on Wi-Fi with Iblis and Rookie. I found out that the 3 of us all think VERY SIMILAR! We all usually started are matches off the same, Short Hop Lasers were thrown out or we always tried to start off some sexy PWG chains. Fox is too good. I think Rookie has some serious getting back to the stage skills. I was amazed at the angles he hit. Iblis wishes he was as sexy as me =(D.

Shintarru

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1676-4016-3956
I 3rd that lol I really need to play other good foxes to see how I compare.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
I could say lulz wifi and lulz wifi dittos to prove something but hey, why ruin anyone's fun.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
OK I added the following people to my brawl friend list:

Monkey
Lightning
Iblis
Kheldar
Jiggly Zelda
ShinTarru
Rookie
Marsulas
NeverKnowsBest

If I added you and you ever want to play me, hit me up on AIM at tmeleeguy, ok?

A few things to note... I will not be using these as any sort of ranking system, or proving grounds for Fox... I don't really care how I stack up against anybody on wi-fi, so nobody should feel bad for playing me or something...
I would kinda appreciate the same courtesy...

I really dislike lag, but I'll try to play anybody.

I am hardly ever on... so good luck catching me, but when I am on, it'd be a lot of fun to play.

Dxkid

Smash Apprentice
I just saw your matches Light and they were epic

ill like to brawl you one day or anyone here on the board

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
contribute to the thread don't post random stupid things >_>

Fox is pretty versatile and has an ability to combo, also he get's an Usmash to kill for sure around 100%

see? that is a contribution

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Unless of course you are posting common Fox knowledge that does not apply for all character matchups.

Fox has a heck of a time combo-ing Luigi due to his massive priority. Fox's versatility is taken away too, because he must stick to simple hit-and-run tactics that build damage at a slower rates. In fights against heavier characters such as DK, I've hit them around 120% with a fresh upsmash, and with proper DI they still won't die, plus the fact you usually have to chain into it instead of using it as your approach.

What people tend to overlook about Fox is his shine, sure you can't wavedash it now... but it's still a very reliable gimp move unique to Fox. It stalls him, giving easy recovery for Fox, and a hard time for the opponent. Plus, it is a unique move that can be used over and over again. Not many characters get as many chances to land an easy spike, except for Metaknight's Dair and ROB's Fair lol.

Of course this is all known in the macthup thread, which is more serious, but this is general Fox discussion and I think it's important to know whether a player mains Fox or not, and where we can possibly help improve their gameplay.

This is just a minor warning to prevent future flaming, I know I'm being a bit of a hypocrite, but instead of saying "why did you post and waste this space?" You might want to consider asking, "oh great you main Fox! How is your ability with him? Would you like some dittos, here are some threads designed to improve your gameplay!" Because seriously, isn't that what the Fox boards strive for?

MAH BOI!

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Fox's Jab?

I see Fox's jab can be used as a frametrapper (let me finish Zhamy :) ) I have been messing around and I noticed that most people can't react fast enough or it's a frametrap. Well we already know that Dair to Jab is a true combo. Nair isn't a true combo but works just as well...... Plus most moves don't come out faster than 4 frames so.... Jab(x2)>Shine is a good frametrap. I'm starting to think that the Jab can become a good part of his Metagame. Jabx2 is reconmended if you think they're to far away.

(As what I think are Frametraps)
Frame Trap Combos I have used:

SH Nair FF>Jab(x2)>Shine

SH Dair FF> Jab(x2)>Shine

Jab(x2)>Shine

Jab(x2)>Grab (should be known)

SH Dair FF>Jab(x2)>Grab>Dthrow>FH Fair

SH Dair FF>Jab(x2)>Grab>Fthrow

SH Nair FF>Jab(x2)>Grab>Dthrow>FH Fair

SH Nair FF>Jab(x2)>Grab>Fthrow

Jab(x2)>Dsmash (underrated)

All the Dsmash strings are the same as the jab>grab minus the grabs and throws

Tell me what you guys think and if any of things work for you or if some one could make sure my frame data skill (which are really questionable) is correct.

Zeton

Smash Lord
NNID
ZetonX
I see Fox's jab can be used as a frametrapper (let me finish Zhamy :) ) I have been messing around and I noticed that most people can't react fast enough or it's a frametrap. Well we already know that Dair to Jab is a true combo. Nair isn't a true combo but works just as well...... Plus most moves don't come out faster than 4 frames so.... Jab(x2)>Shine is a good frametrap. I'm starting to think that the Jab can become a good part of his Metagame. Jabx2 is reconmended if you think they're to far away.

(As what I think are Frametraps)
Frame Trap Combos I have used:

SH Nair FF>Jab(x2)>Shine

SH Dair FF> Jab(x2)>Shine

Jab(x2)>Shine

Jab(x2)>Grab (should be known)

SH Dair FF>Jab(x2)>Grab>Dthrow>FH Fair

SH Dair FF>Jab(x2)>Grab>Fthrow

SH Nair FF>Jab(x2)>Grab>Dthrow>FH Fair

SH Nair FF>Jab(x2)>Grab>Fthrow

Jab(x2)>Dsmash (underrated)

All the Dsmash strings are the same as the jab>grab minus the grabs and throws

Tell me what you guys think and if any of things work for you or if some one could make sure my frame data skill (which are really questionable) is correct.
I've known about the frame trap combos for quite some time, these do work, but it really depends on how the opponent DIs and what character the player is using. One thing about fox I know though is that with his speed you can pretty much combo 1 attack to another. So where this info is pretty accurate there are many variations on what you can do before, after, or even between these combos.

(Ex: SH DAir>Jab(x2)>Ftilt or DTilt>SH Illusion Fox (pref. short Illus. so you can have a good placement on what you can do next depending on you spacing.) and after this you could probably pivot wave grab them because they will probably shield to defend themselves.

lol I Guess what I am trying say is fit fox with the right tech. for each character or situation.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Yeah me and monkey noticed you can even crouch cancel your jab(x2) and lead it into another, then grab. I think it depends really on the player and character your fighting than it is combos, but honestly I am glad Iblis brought this up. I've noticed that after jabs my opponents seem to stall a bit.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
let me finish Zhamy
Hahahaha. I love the jab; I seriously do. People will fall for the oddest frame traps, and if you do it correctly?
They guess right: Spacing resets.
They guess wrong: Eat damage.

crifer

Smash Lord
yeah i really like jab...

a question that I ask myself:
So do fox and luigi cover all matchups well???
just curious bc samboner plays both and said something like that.
Discuss!

SnowballBob33

Smash Ace
I used to main TL for a while, but then switched to fox cuz i liked his speed and combos. Then i had sum bad or annoying matchups so I picked up wolf who is nice, for ppl like jiggz, kirby, mk, lucario, ness, lucas, zss, pika, shiek, yoshi, and sonic. most I have only played online though so idk.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey guys. You don't know me. I ditched the Fox boards a while ago and went to the Toon Link boards because TL is my secondary.

Anyway I'm really into testing and figuring out anything new (half the reason why I left). I really like what this thread is trying to do and I just want to let you know it has my full suport.

I'll let you know if I figure out anything new for Fox thats worth reporting. So far I haven't found anything exept that you can get more horizontal recovery if your higher up and you cancel the Fox Illusion about half way. The reason for this is if you don't cancel the Fox Illusion, at the end of it Fox will fall straight down for a second or so before he can DI towards the stage. But if you cancel it, you get to DI straight away. I know, it's not much, I can only see this being helpfull if you jump out to kill someone and you need that little bit extra to get back on stage.

But as I said I'll let you know if I figure out anything new and usefull. (feel free to let me know if anything I say is known, that way I'll get closer to finding something that isn't known)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom