• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sailboat

Smash Cadet
I'm obviously not good enough to critique your video, but I do have a suggestion. Your problem in that fight seems to be my problem also: I need to work on spacing. When I watch some of these video's I can clearly see that I'm not spacing properly. I have difficulty keeping Sonic at a proper distance with my sword. With slower characters I feel it's a bit easier, but with Sonic moving at the speed he does I have such a problem with him getting in behind my sword.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Someone please critique one of the sets I posted. :[
I'll critique this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0F7pY9qYtE&fmt=18

0:11 - Bad spacing, a better opponent would've punished you for that.
0:19 - Yet again, jumped right into a grab.
0:36 - Ill Dash Attack. Even though it works, DB would've been the ebst option for punishing.
0:56 - Your DB strikes shield, twice. So you... continue it? If it strikes shield twice, stop it and go for the grab, or shieldbreaker. You get grabbed.
1:02 - Whiffed Fsmash, bad ledge pressure. You get put into a bad situation instead.
1:08 - WTH??? You just flop back down, literally inviting your opponent in to kill you, which they did. Even if your objective isn't winning, don'tmake it easy for them.
1:32 - Punish rolls with DB, not unsafe Fairs.
1:34 - Wow, wasted shield. You could've easily punish that whiffed smash.
1:46 - Bad dash Attack habit we have here. Luckily you aren'tpunished each time.
1:50 - Jumped straight into the ****.
1:56 - Baited your counter, or misfired your counter. You get punished.
2:03 - Bad ledge spacing, you should know the distance of Zelda's UpB by now.
2:05 - Bye bye stock. You need to learn how to mixup your recovery.
2:34 - Learn to powershield Din's Fire.

Misfortunate, you were better (well at the start of the match) then your opponent Sword. You need to work on your spacing. This caused a few unsafe, whiffed, or punished attacks. You jumped into the **** a lot aswell. Finally, work on your ledge game. Otherwise, decent Marth.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Critique: Dark Shifter

0:01 ~ 0:10 - Lol @ stalling with dash dancing.
0:12 - Unneccesary shielding. Learn to save shield energy.
0:16 - Why are you standing around? THIS IS KIRBY!!!! You apply the pressure, not wait for him to come to you. Catches you with a dash attack.
0:20 - Bad ledge spacing, as in too much spacing.
0:21 - Powershield to.. shield? He's lagging and its your perfect chance to DB or UpB. You get punished.
0:29 - You need to learn the match-up. Your letting Kirby pressure you, very bad. You get grabbed.
0:49 - Predicted Nair ledge recovery, even I saw it. You lose a stock.
0:53 ~ 0:57 - Whoa at all the whiffed attacks. Your just flinging your sword out there now, hoping for some damage.
1:02 - Your whiff a grab, he rolls in front of you... and you sidestep... Bad, could've did a DB here. You end up in a combo of sorts.
1:38 - Yo roll twice, giving up a lot of stage control, and puts you in a bad position. He takes a stock.
2:02 - He just rolling round and round, and you fail to capitalize.
2:06 - You coulda just SDI'ed back out of his jab.

Umm wow, that was kinda... bad? You need to practic spacing, and aim for your opponent. Go review the match-up for Kirby, and probably a few characters while your at it (can't hurt). Hit the basics, and improve.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Critique: GatoradeEnjoyer

0:05 - You get Bair'd. Know why? It's because your giving the GnW stage control. Maintain pressure.
0:09 - He shields, so you shield. Ok thats just a defensive move. But then after he shield drops, you sidestep? Either UpB, swat him, or jump to regain stage control.
0:12 - Your completely missed him with that DB. You should've stopped it right there; you get grabbed.
0:19 - Three Dtilts? You should've approached with an Fair or DB.
0:28 - Retreating again are we? This is GAME AND WATCH. You apply constant pressure, not run away to allow him more room.
0:38 - He's shielding on the ledge, you should read him and do a ledgehopped aerial or shieldbreaker. He could've punished you for that get up attack.
0:46 - Perfect chance for an early Bair kill. Don't be scared to approach GnW.
0:54 - Whiffed Fsmash, you get grabbed.
1:00 - Again allwoing him to return safely? Shame.
1:07 - Another whiffed Fsmash. A DB or grab would've ***** him there.
1:14 - Refer to 0:46 and 1:00.
1:32 - Why'd you jump for the ledge? It's a horrible spot for Marth to be. Your ledge hop gets predicted and shielded. You get punished. Twice.
1:40 - He shields and you run. Aye, punish that with a grab.
2:02 - Your bad sidestep spam habit gets punished. You lose a stock.
2:12 - Fair? Uair would've worked better here.
2:14 - Refer ^
2:49 - Whiffed Fsmash. You nee dto read up on punishing with Marth, a Usmash would've killed him there.
3:00 - WTF??? Jumped right into the ****.

Ok your Marth is decent. However, oyu need to learn match-ups better, and go read up on punishing moves correctly. Also, don't be hesistant to be a little more aggressive, you missed out on a lot of opportunities to kill, and ended up taking damage yourself.

gatoradeenjoyer

Smash Rookie
Rikkuko: thank you very much for breaking down my Marth. These are very helpful and I will put them to good use. I will send another video in about a week. Again thank you very much for the help.

-Gatoradeenjoyer

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Rikkuko: thank you very much for breaking down my Marth. These are very helpful and I will put them to good use. I will send another video in about a week. Again thank you very much for the help.

-Gatoradeenjoyer
Np, I dont even mind you calling me Rikkuko lmao (just for the future its Rukkiko*) And i'll be around for your next video. Send me a PM if need be.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
2 many counters...

just a thought.

actually those counters were fine ...... idk why you said that roofl :laugh:

the only problems i saw was only some certain points with his grab which would be he wouldn't do grab at zero fthrow nair then either wait for them to to airdodge and grab them again or fsmash them.....

and up b out of kirbys grab combo cause you can !

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Ok so I knowww this is WiFi, BUT, there was really and truly hardly any lag at all. kismet is my best connection, and in some parts of the vid it was actually lagless on my end. I've only had that happen like twice lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmFNnq-wdIM

Looking for ZMT or Steel2nd critique plz, Kadaj if he is willing since he is my favorite Marth lol. :D
You don't trust me? Gosh...

MikeSanti

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5242-9800

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
Game 1:

Choppy video =/

:20 Less double jump. It’s a telegraphed aerial approach and exposes marth’s weakness below him. Also, was that a dair? Don’t do those. Also, space the aerial at least. Don’t just drop on him like its going to do anything, he’s got a bigger stick. You’re lucky he did a backthrow instead of CGing you to the other side for 20+ more damage.

:26 unnecessary ledge dancing. Recognize the limit of his reach, you should have just held the edge til he whiffed and ledgehopped in to punish. Miss opportunity.

:38 Full hope nair? If you did that on purpose don’t. if it was an accident work on ridding yourself of it.

:48 Could have upB’d on reaction to the dash attack. Those should not hit you very often.
On closer inspection it appears you spotdodged and got punished. Pick your spots when to shield and when to dodge.

:53 You used your double jump too early and too high. Not only were you punished for it, you lost it as an option when he was at the ledge giving him an easy ledgeguard. Also, his invincibility ran out before you go there, you could have UpB’d him for a stagespike and reversed the situation in your favor. More importantly you would have survived as opposed to getting kicked by his foot.

:58 that’s what you get for going for the stage.

1:00 you used your jump too early again, luckily this time he missed the killing attack and was forced to send you back to the stage.

1:26 you did the right thing by getting behind him and punishing, but if you had reacted a bit sooner you could have charged a smash for more damage.

1:33 again with the early double jump.

1:42 a good sequence until it appears you attack in the wrong direction and then jump when he was right on you. Rolling, spot dodging, or simply shielding might have worked better here.

2:01 be careful with the bair approaches. They arent’t the safest ways to attack someone.

2:18 that’s right DDD, eat tipper.

2:24 dancing blade on shield should not be completed unless there is a chance of shield stabbing or shoving them off a ledge and hitting them that way. No chance of either at that range. Cancel and pray, or cancel into something else, like shield breaker.
2:33 could have followed him off the edge with 1 more attack?

2:35 I haven’t seen you get him into that many edgeguarding situations, but here you could have met him up top with a fair instead of whiffing the nair.

2:36 you back off way too much.

2:37 shieldbreakers are not meant to be whiffed.

2:40 stop backing off so much, you’re giving him too much room to land comfortably.

3:03 DDD used Body Slam! It’s super effective. Don’t get grabbed. Time your spotdodge better. Upb.

3:15 punishing an fsmash with an untipped fair?

3:22 typically we take caution when we jump directly under anyone who can form a long hitbox under them. Space a little better and you could have caught him on the side with an uair.

3:27 the umpteenth time hes inhaled you. Watch those spot dodges. He likes to inhale as he lands. Roll behind him when you see it or smash him as hes coming down with it.

3:40 good job going for the ledge, but you still used your jump really quickly.

3:50 again with the breathing room.

3:52 Run and DS his face in….a fair is not gonna kill him at 150 on the stage.

4:06 Marth is a beast in the air, i would have gone up to get him instead of waiting to get inhaled again.

4:13 DB, not Fair.

4:47 ledgehopped uair with the timing varied so your sword hits him away before your body breaks the horizontal plane of the stage. Would have hit him out of the inhale and gotten you safely onstage.

4:51 go after him with an uair.

4:57 you faired him out of an inhale on a previous sequence only to have him inhale you once again.

5:00 this time your quick double jump does definitively cost you a stock, and the game.

An oppoent who can chaingrab well would have murdered you. Work on your spacing as well as recognizing patterns and opportunities. For instance, those landing inhales could all have been punished with a roll behind him or jumping over him as he came down and dropping into his face during his lag.

You get predictable with those double jumps, he knew you'd do it and went up to intercept you every time. you got lucky sometimes but usually got punished. save the double jump. you also need to apply more pressure and more intelligently.

don't back down when hes recovering, go after him and do what you need to do get him and keep him off the stage. its as simple as throwing out an fair at him or pretending like your going to attack him to bait a reaction and responding to that.

time your spotdodges better, mixing in more tilts when your pressuring him helps too.

finally, shieldbreaker mindgames.

i'll do the rest of the video if nobody else does it but too tired atm.

MikeSanti

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5242-9800
Game 1:

Choppy video =/

:20 Less double jump. It’s a telegraphed aerial approach and exposes marth’s weakness below him. Also, was that a dair? Don’t do those. Also, space the aerial at least. Don’t just drop on him like its going to do anything, he’s got a bigger stick. You’re lucky he did a backthrow instead of CGing you to the other side for 20+ more damage.

:26 unnecessary ledge dancing. Recognize the limit of his reach, you should have just held the edge til he whiffed and ledgehopped in to punish. Miss opportunity.

:38 Full hope nair? If you did that on purpose don’t. if it was an accident work on ridding yourself of it.

:48 Could have upB’d on reaction to the dash attack. Those should not hit you very often.
On closer inspection it appears you spotdodged and got punished. Pick your spots when to shield and when to dodge.

:53 You used your double jump too early and too high. Not only were you punished for it, you lost it as an option when he was at the ledge giving him an easy ledgeguard. Also, his invincibility ran out before you go there, you could have UpB’d him for a stagespike and reversed the situation in your favor. More importantly you would have survived as opposed to getting kicked by his foot.

:58 that’s what you get for going for the stage.

1:00 you used your jump too early again, luckily this time he missed the killing attack and was forced to send you back to the stage.

1:26 you did the right thing by getting behind him and punishing, but if you had reacted a bit sooner you could have charged a smash for more damage.

1:33 again with the early double jump.

1:42 a good sequence until it appears you attack in the wrong direction and then jump when he was right on you. Rolling, spot dodging, or simply shielding might have worked better here.

2:01 be careful with the bair approaches. They arent’t the safest ways to attack someone.

2:18 that’s right DDD, eat tipper.

2:24 dancing blade on shield should not be completed unless there is a chance of shield stabbing or shoving them off a ledge and hitting them that way. No chance of either at that range. Cancel and pray, or cancel into something else, like shield breaker.
2:33 could have followed him off the edge with 1 more attack?

2:35 I haven’t seen you get him into that many edgeguarding situations, but here you could have met him up top with a fair instead of whiffing the nair.

2:36 you back off way too much.

2:37 shieldbreakers are not meant to be whiffed.

2:40 stop backing off so much, you’re giving him too much room to land comfortably.

3:03 DDD used Body Slam! It’s super effective. Don’t get grabbed. Time your spotdodge better. Upb.

3:15 punishing an fsmash with an untipped fair?

3:22 typically we take caution when we jump directly under anyone who can form a long hitbox under them. Space a little better and you could have caught him on the side with an uair.

3:27 the umpteenth time hes inhaled you. Watch those spot dodges. He likes to inhale as he lands. Roll behind him when you see it or smash him as hes coming down with it.

3:40 good job going for the ledge, but you still used your jump really quickly.

3:50 again with the breathing room.

3:52 Run and DS his face in….a fair is not gonna kill him at 150 on the stage.

4:06 Marth is a beast in the air, i would have gone up to get him instead of waiting to get inhaled again.

4:13 DB, not Fair.

4:47 ledgehopped uair with the timing varied so your sword hits him away before your body breaks the horizontal plane of the stage. Would have hit him out of the inhale and gotten you safely onstage.

4:51 go after him with an uair.

4:57 you faired him out of an inhale on a previous sequence only to have him inhale you once again.

5:00 this time your quick double jump does definitively cost you a stock, and the game.

An oppoent who can chaingrab well would have murdered you. Work on your spacing as well as recognizing patterns and opportunities. For instance, those landing inhales could all have been punished with a roll behind him or jumping over him as he came down and dropping into his face during his lag.

You get predictable with those double jumps, he knew you'd do it and went up to intercept you every time. you got lucky sometimes but usually got punished. save the double jump. you also need to apply more pressure and more intelligently.

don't back down when hes recovering, go after him and do what you need to do get him and keep him off the stage. its as simple as throwing out an fair at him or pretending like your going to attack him to bait a reaction and responding to that.

time your spotdodges better, mixing in more tilts when your pressuring him helps too.

finally, shieldbreaker mindgames.

i'll do the rest of the video if nobody else does it but too tired atm.
Thank you for your critique and as to the dair statement yes, I never do it but sadly at times my cstick fails miserably. I'll start saving that double jump, and sorry for the choppy video.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Ok so I knowww this is WiFi, BUT, there was really and truly hardly any lag at all. kismet is my best connection, and in some parts of the vid it was actually lagless on my end. I've only had that happen like twice lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmFNnq-wdIM

Looking for ZMT or Steel2nd critique plz, Kadaj if he is willing since he is my favorite Marth lol. :D
Ok, lets see...this is wifi so its impossible for me to critique this perfectly. I can easily go over every mistake but its unneeded so I will go over the important ones.

:25 to :32- There was a lot of unnecessary shielding here. I assume you were anticipating the phantasm, but you have better options then to hold your shield. Spot dodge, jab, or perfect shielding is your best bet, if you know hes going to phantasm. In this case he didnt and you tried a dancing blade into an up b way too early on in the match and got punished for it. This also put him on the offensive which is bad.

:39- Your wasting your shield by doing this. The phantasm makes a noise when its used, just shield then. You made it easy for him to return to the stage by staying close to the edge and standing there. One of if not the best position for Marth is when his opponent is on the ledge.

:48- You messed up your return to the stage. I would of dropped low and grabbed the ledge. By going for the stage with a laggy up b, you got punished and knocked back off. Now at :51, This situation is tricky and dangerous. You need to make it back on the ledge or stage but your too low for the stage. You could of used dancing blade once to stall in the air and then up b, using the hitbox to knock falco off the ledge. This caused you to lose a stock at 92%.

1:00 to 1:04- Looks like wifi made you both mess up. Its obvious you shouldn't counter here, but yeah.

1:12- From the position it was pretty obvious he was going to phantasm to the stage. I would have returned to the stage and punished by knocking him back off.

1:21- You air dodged and he didnt throw a move. I know he was baiting, but he doesnt have anything in that position that beats your fair anyways.

1:29- The dair you did here got you knocked off the stage, and eventually ko'd because you were impatient on the ledge, take your time when your on the ledge or your going to get ***** every time your knocked off.

1:40- You keep missing dolphin slashes, I dont know if its wifi or you, so I cant say much. Glad the next one hit though, it only hit because Kismet decided to reverse grab, Marth is able to be chaingrabbed if its done perfectly for 2 dthrows.

2:09- You jumped over Falco, Marth is horrible above his opponents.

2:23- Dont attempt this, it never works lol.

2:34- You did a dancing blade upwards, good sign, but you failed to follow it up with anything. Bait an air dodge and juggle him with uairs or grab him as he hits the ground.

2:50- Another missed opportunity to juggle.

3:20- You had the control for his entire stock up to this point. You lost control because you released your shield and got hit for no reason at all. All you had to do is shield grab him.

3:26- Looks like wifi kicked in here.

3:43- Wrong time to use Dancing Blade. You should use it to punish the opponents mistakes and lag, not after a dash.

3:47- Yet again, dropping and using up b to the ledge would of been a safer option.

3:53- This never works.

4:00- You did a short hop dair, dont. The phantasm was obvious, your best bet would of been to return to the center of the stage and bait him.

4:16- You did another short hop dair, seems like a bad habit, or you want to be flashy idk.

4:28- You punished his bad use of lasers and hit him with an usmash to win.

You seem to have trouble noticing when you can attack. A lot of the time you had Falco, in the air, and stood there with your shield out. When Falco is in the air or off the ledge, be aggressive. Dont use shield breaker or dair, both moves aren't good and are outclassed by other moves. You did do a lot of good things, like dancing blade mixups and dtilts were used as well. When Marth is near Falco, Marth should win and come on top. This didn't happen a lot, however it may be wifi.

Use more jab and nair to help space. You need more uthrow into uairs. You full hopped a lot and weren't punished for it, probably cause of lag. If it was offline I assume you would of made less spacing mistakes and timing errors, like at 3:26. Otherwise, keep up the good work.

nintendoboyyy22

Smash Journeyman
Thanks alot man. I'm learning alot just from the critique you guys are giving me, and playing great people.

I remember at my first irl tournament, and I was in the finals, I got nervous and forgot what to do. It's like I forgot how to use Marth altogether. But learning the inside's and out's of Marth really helps in these situations. I can stop, take a deep breathe, and remember what to do.

Thanks for the tips, bud. I'll keep practicing and taking what you said into account.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Critique: Xisin

0:10 - You should try angling your shield up here, the tornado wouldn't have shield stabbed.

0:53 - He baited that reaction(whiffed Usmash) and punished you for it after his air dodge.

1:06 - Refer to :10.

1:22 - Dsmash at that range? MK's may hit you, but Marth's won't hit MK in that position. DB would've been better.

2:11 - You do realize your playing Overswarm right? pros like that will punish yo ufor repeatedly doing the same ledgehop attack over and over again. You lose a stock.

2:43 - Thought you were gonna get a free DB or grab here huh? Well you got predicted again, and he instead gets the grab. Remember hs Gair cnacels all landing lag, try baiting it out with an Ftilt or Dtilt.

2:53 - Marth's roll sucks, and that Dair taught you that. he was shielding, so you had the advantageous position, and you wasted it.

3:33 - Be careful, your jumping into his attacks.

4:10 - Not only are you wasting shield, you wasting an opportunity. He's shield after approaching you, perfect chance for a SB or SH aerial. Both of you drop shield, and he Shuttle Loop's you for the stock.

Your Marth is very good. However, your ledge recovery and mixups get predictable. Watch yourself over and see how many ledgehopped Fairs you did. Work on your recovery game and your good to go =]

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Xisin, in game 1, you Usmashed too much. Usmash has a pretty large hitbox, and can be used, but don't use it too much. I only use it when I know I'm going to land the hit. Watch out for that especially, because your opponent capitalized on it.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Also, when you got gimped, I think if you did not do DB, you would have made it.

Oh and nice work with counter. ^_^

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Well I only saw the first video so all I have to say is nice stage control and you need a better opponent i'm to lazy to go into even more detail
lol go ahead stunt your stuff.

Critique: GPEternity

0:26 - Bad spacing nd timing. You get punished.

0:42 - Bad ledge trap, you should've spaced yourself to avoid that ledge getup attack.

1:25 - An Nair would've killed here.

1:33 - You mistimed your air doge, and get punished.

1:44 - I know you corrected yourself, but instead of FF over him, you could've DB'ed, it's safer.

2:16 - You have to program tilting into your muscle memory, it isn't to hard.

2;59 - Bad spacing, and you should practice SHFF attacks.

3:12 - Whiffed Dsmash. You lose a stock.

You need to pla ya better opponent, because your Marth is decent. Go into practice and just fling attacks out, get a feel for Marth's movements. Also, go play level 3's to correct some spacing.

Ill finish this after CoT4 live stream =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom