• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This is dead, look for the new matchup thread. Be sure to read the rules.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I personally like fighting on BF, but that could just be that I like playing on it against my friend's style of toon link.

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm tired :ohwell:

Panix

Smash Ace
Toon link runs the air, Battle fields is his domain. best place to fight him is probably on FD or Lylact cruise, or even smashville

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Toon link runs the air, Battle fields is his domain. best place to fight him is probably on FD or Lylact cruise, or even smashville
Well yeah out of neutrals.
Watch out for Norfair, he can pretty much spike you with no fear, cause the lava.
Personally I love Battlefield against TL, but I do play aaaaaaaaa lottttttttt of Battlefield, so the advantages TL has(Air control, campness, etc.), I usually get around it, and since the little guy is so light, a well placed down air should kill him fairly early.

beenman

Smash Rookie
toon links up air is a real problem whenever i fight him, he can bait the air dodge and when it finishes (air dodge), he still hits with it

Lawlmahbawls

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, T Link's Up Air is a monster against Snake. It lasts FOREVER and wrecks cypher recovery.

Also, kinda useful tidbit. Snake's jab stops Toon Link's Boomerang and Arrows.

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
Jase chill man its all good dont feul the fire find a nicer way to approach rudeness like I did.

Lets not be so hott headed.
:D
k?
yea sorry dude dont wanna be like that and i'm not usually

oh, and by the way jase

quoted from dark nemisis:

Snake is the closest thing to "broken" in this game.

With his godly tilts and grenade cooking, he can both outspace and outcamp Tink with ease.
Toon link has no advantage in this match up, but there's still hope.

Never, NEVER approach a Snake head-on. His tilts have a ridiculous range with an invisible hitbox.
Also, watch out for his grenades. If they're cooked, they will almost certainly hit, which gives him enough time to execute the Mortar Slide.

So if you can't camp or approach, what are you supposed to do?
Well, in this fight, your Boomerang is your best friend. It's good enough to stall his nikitas and stop his grenades. SHDA is really useful against any Snake to.
Since you outcamped and outranged, Tink will be in a great disadvantage. But due to his fast running speed (RUN! NEVER jump towards a Snake), you can easily run in and punish his lags.

Also, Snake's airgame sucks. Bring him up in the air and rack up damage. You can also gimp his recoveries easily.

Long story short: Toon Link is in a great disadvantage. But with smart play, mindgames and(smart use of) projectiles, Toon Link does still stand a chance.

One of Toon Link's hardest match ups.

30/70
*coughs* i never said anything about takeing a snake head on.

but i will apologise to you i did go a bit over board i dont know wat the hell i was drinking when i posted that and i will thank you for the advice i'm sure it will help if we ever review the match up on our boards again (aint gonna stay the same ^^)

but yea i like yoshi's for snakes and lyat cruise is ok but only my preferences.

NeoCrono

Smash Ace
Watch out for the zair, it could really mess you up and set you up for the D-throw to b-air combo. But otherwise then that, snake can out camp Tink and your tilts should do the job. Also be careful how you recover, cause he could dair spike you or set you up for a bomb spike

Panix

Smash Ace
yea sorry dude dont wanna be like that and i'm not usually

*coughs* i never said anything about takeing a snake head on.

but i will apologise to you i did go a bit over board i dont know wat the hell i was drinking when i posted that and i will thank you for the advice i'm sure it will help if we ever review the match up on our boards again (aint gonna stay the same ^^)

but yea i like yoshi's for snakes and lyat cruise is ok but only my preferences.
Is this the Jase who had a toon link Stuff animal in his sweater at Viridian city?

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
His dair spike kills you at really really low percentages if they get it off. But just make sure you recover intelligently and don't try anything stupid with off-the-edge edge guarding and you will be fine.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Yeah basically, for off the edge games, rely on your mass amount of projectiles, don't do anything risky, one mistake and you're getting down aired. Don't try to DACUS too much, his projectiles will stop you, as will most of the rest of his arsenal.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Blodhoundz

Snake cant crouch under zair unless they use it at the begining of thier SH for some reason.
Mostly its used where it autocancels. Its laggless.

And close range Snake ***** us >.>...
We can still do stuff but his tilts are near overwellming close range.
Ah yeah.

Most of the time I see TL zair is at the start of his sh so he can combo into nair, that's why I assumed Snake could duck it. My mistake.

NeoCrono

Smash Ace
When I play a toon link (or when I'm toon link and I'm going against a snake) Toon links will most likely have a steady stream of SHDA to mess up you DACUS, so DACUS intelligently. Nade camping is your best friend in this match up :)

yellowroy

Smash Ace
Panix what did you place? Also that tournament was ****. but mango? he wasn't there, unless it was someone using his name.

Panix

Smash Ace
Panix what did you place? Also that tournament was ****. but mango? he wasn't there, unless it was someone using his name.
I thought it was mango, it was a good jigglypuff. and he had his tag was mango, maybe i got mind****ed. who knows.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Mango doesn't play brawl anymore..

And if you were talking about a melee puff, he doesn't really play puff anymore either LOL. He plays fox, falco, and captain falcon from what I've seen/heard.

Panix

Smash Ace
Mango doesn't play brawl anymore..

And if you were talking about a melee puff, he doesn't really play puff anymore either LOL. He plays fox, falco, and captain falcon from what I've seen/heard.
people should stick to their tags. lol. I sware though. a short fuzzy haired kid (a bit chubby too) was playing with the tag mango, he also used ZSS aginst black waltz olimar.

yellowroy

Smash Ace
Lol.

My friend beat the fake mango in friendlies on the little t.v. he beat everyone he played so he just left to sign up for teams.

I don't think that the mango was that good.

Panix

Smash Ace
Lol.

My friend beat the fake mango in friendlies on the little t.v. he beat everyone he played so he just left to sign up for teams.

I don't think that the mango was that good.
i beat dah mango =o i thought I was gawdly for winning against mango

Panix

Smash Ace
Panix next time you go tell me to get some friendlies.

Were you the one with the black vans and the long hair?
I was the one with the black beanie visor, black sweater, small but growing gotee, and short hair.I was really quiet, and also was near lightxdreams laptop alot. I also was drinking alot of pepsi that they were selling.

back to the match-up....

i vote 40:60 in snakes favor

on a side note:

I suck on wifi. can't space and keep suiciding.

Panix

Smash Ace
that's it? no more discussion? well any other snakes or TL mains have some input or ratio they want to put it? mostly i see alot of 45:55 snake's favor.

Sandst0rm

Smash Cadet
*sigh* My snake was beasting everyone at a tournament here in NC (carolina games summit) until I played this crazy toon link. I didn't know how to handle him at first b/c all the aerials that kept me back and then he arrow canceled so I had to shield or get hit even if I stood back. Near the second stock I started waiting and then just hitting with the broken tilts or power shielding into grabs. I got him down to 118% on that last stock but I died from a nair before I got in that **** utilt. The tournament was a ****ty tournament though b/c they were 1 round matches...I might have been able to win if it were best 2/3. =/

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Sand storm just try to mess with Toon Links crappy Zoning in to the mid range
Only reason why its 55:45 in my eyes is the ability Snake has from his broken speed and power on his tilts is because Toon Links fails bad against Snake Long range and once Snake gets control of the stage the match is Snakes hands down.
But Toon Link being just alittle better than Snake mid range and challengeing Snake close range.
Is what makes it difficult for Snake.
Snakes close range out beats toon Links barely just like the visversa for mid range.
Toon link can combo Snake to kill % some what.
But Snake can still get damge in and Toon Link dies really early against Snake cause of his light wieght.
If both Snake and Toon Link are at kill % if the Snake is calm and plays like normal he will kill Toon Link before he dies.
but a smart Toon Link can put the pressure on Snake making him go kill crazy, but at high lvl play Toon Link will die b4 snake if they both are at kill %.

Let you guys in on a little secret if we are at kill % and its like gah they aren't dieing just SH or FH a bair while we are facing you Toon Link has a blind spot about olimars up b direction above him.
We dont really have a move to stop it from hitting unless we see it coming.

Sandst0rm

Smash Cadet
Yeah, this guy was really good with the pressure. He totally controlled the stage on yoshi's island. But still, I found my options limited. My grenades were used against me if I tried to cook them he got even closer but still spaced out of my tilts and then arrow canceled. I got my kills when I played really really aggressive but in controlling the stage, which I did very well in all other matches, I was totally beaten by TL. My movement was very limited, even with snake dashing and the dash attack. =/

I'm pretty sure he knows how to play snakes though. It was a 1 round match. He picked olimar at first and then I picked snake, not really as a counterpick. Then he just took the marker off olimar and counterpicked Toon Link. It kind of made it okay for me to do the same thing and say, well actually I want to use falco, but I didn't want to be lame. I guess I should have done that b/c I really wanted to win, though the prize wasn't money. ._. Note to self: Don't ever go back to CGS.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I get a bit of snake practice. I say its about 60 40 Snake. We can hang with them in dealing damage, maybe even deal damage faster. But snake kills use so fast and easily, it puts us at a slight disadvantage. But Toon link is still sexier, hands down =]

A vid for help on deciding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBuQJ5OnzRY <3

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Does anyone else have anything to add? We've been on TL for over a week, so if not then we'll move on to another character. Any suggestions?

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Ok. I don't have much luigi experience so I won't be that much help here. But we'll move on to Luigi.

If you still have something to add for TL, go for it. Just cause we are discussing a new character doesn't mean we can't still go back and look at old matchups.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
OP updated with a link to the TL discussion. I'm going to go create a thread in the Luigi boards so we can get their opinions on the matchup as well.

LUIGI. GO!

Top Bottom