• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Sonic:

Introduction: The Sonic ditto/mirror matchup. No matter what you call it, it's probably the most difficult, if not awkward matchup you may ever play in your competitive career.

Why? In essence, your opponent is you. He has the same tools; which means the same strengths, the same weaknesses, the same possibilities, and the same... Well, you get the point. Everything you can do, your opponent can do, and perhaps better. Or worse.

In theory, this matchup is suppose to be dead-even. In reality, there's no way to accurately calculate the effort you'll have to put in to get a win in this kind of battle.

Behavior: Out of all the possible combinations you could mix and match in Brawl, there's just no way to look at this particular match from a completely objective view and be able to draw any rational conclusion.

The only thing that separates you and your opponent is the playstyle. If you want to know how to counter a playstyle, you may as well look at a Sonic guide that talks about such different ways that the character programmed into this game can be played.

And then toss that mindset out the window.

Sonic is a character that lives off punishment, all the while staying uncommitted to his approaches. That's the general gist of this character, and that alone allows Sonic (the character) to be played in a multitude of ways. Amongst different Sonics (the players), playstyles will vary from the most conserved; playing by the book, to the most radical; objective analysis is null with them.

Neither of the extreme playstyles can be predicted though, despite the implication given by the former. A sonic who plays by the book is bound to do everything and anything 100% right and leave you will very little options due to the opponent playing absolutely safe. On the other hand, somebody who tends to experiment more with the abstract varieties will reap more rewards from their actions; and while the risks are still minimal, they're worth it.

A perfect hybrid mix of the two is probably the mark of the best Sonic player on this Earth. Neither extreme cannot in theory; or practice, succeed due to the not-so-obvious, but still just-as-gashing flaws in their gameplay.

Anybody that is well-versed with this character reading this will understand that Sonic as a character wasn't granted the luxury of some other characters to have any one good obvious option to abuse at any one given time, and will realize that there is only so much Sonic can do on his own before the player controlling the character will have to outperform the opponent in order to claim victory. However, Sonic was given enough that a player willing to put the effort into it can, and will come out on top of every hurdle thrown their way.

How does one face an opponent who has the same undying determination to go through with playing a mirror matchup knowing that such an opposing mindset cannot easily be dwindled?

How to Win: That question every player asks themselves time and time again, but especially now the answer becomes so blurred that only through enough experimentation and trial & error can a conclusion be drawn.

This becomes not a place or time to think about how the characters are paired, but rather, conflicting playstyles of the opponents behind the characters. It is ultimately up to you to know Sonic's options beforehand, adapt to the stimuli your opponent gives you, and answer accordingly.

A perfect mirror watch would always end in a stalemate or a tie. Both "perfect" Sonics would acknowledge that committing the first act may put them at the disadvantage, and would thus respect each others' options and never approach.

This is not to be confused with high or top level play between two persons who are skilled with the one character. To some degree, the matches will take a long time, but this is where the theorycrafting stops.

Humans are flawed, and make mistakes. This is where the battle starts to take course, and it is from the point mistakes are made that a victor shall be decided.

Not always is the aggressor at a disadvantage. For other matchups this would apply moreso, or not at all; but in a mirror match, both players will know the best way to approach their character and as the match continues to drag out, figure out ways to approach their rival.

It truly is a battle of wits.

Commonly used moves: Sonic as a character has moves with uses at certain given times. Some options will become more apparent than others at times. As a note, he always has an answer to your response. It becomes emphasized in this matchup being that everything becomes a risk; even doing nothing.

The following is to be used as a rough guideline. Nothing here can be taken literally and be applied with great success. At the same time though, it might just give you the edge you need over your opponent, it all depends on who it is. You are expected to have an idea of which of Sonic's moves are used when, how, where, and why. You are also expecting your opponent to know/expect this too, and as a match is played out, expectations are set lower an and lower until a winner is decided.

Bair - Sonic's most versatile aerial attack. It kills, it walls, it pressures, it racks up damage, and in certain situations sets up for combos/strings. There isn't much that can be done about this attack if used properly.

Uair - Another formidable aerial. Any non-equipped attacks cannot answer to the range + agility that this attack possesses. Set-ups for strings with the first hit and if the second hit doesn't come out or connect. Virtually no cooldown lag from a short-hop, minor cooldown lag otherwise, and only minor landing lag. Mistiming can lead into minimal to heavy punishment.

Fair - The last aerial that you should be consciously aware of. It comes out fast, can slip in through shields and poke; especially on platforms, and manages to rack up some okay damage. Getting the heavy landing lag can lead to considerable punishment, can be SDI'd out of for quick aerial punishment, and most of the time will not rack up anymore than 8% even though it is capable to get 14% damage fresh; all the while stile having some cooldown lag even without receiving the previous-mentioned heavy landing lag.

Spin Dash - Sonic's "defensive" special attack. It has invincibility upon release, and can be used to counterattack. Can be jump-canceled with a double jump or go into VSDJ from its grounded charge. On hit, poorly set-ups up into combo attacks. Takes a fairly long time to charge, very weak regardless of charge, and the Spindash roll takes a while to come out and a low charge will have this move both roll out slowly and deal even lower damage.

Spin Charge - Sonic's "offensive" special attack. The aerial version possess a unique multi-hit property and works very well for racking up damage, setting up combos, and at higher percents/no decay, kills. Can be shield-canceled upon landing and double-jump canceled, and on block has a couple of ways to make this move avoid punishment assuming the opponent guesses wrong. Low range keeps this move mainly as an attack used to punish, even though more often than not it's used as an approach.

Spring Jump - Comes with more than just a spring coil. Equipped with a lot of gimmicks, there are a lot of things to mention about this one move alone. Used to complicate predicting of landing, guarantee recovery, meddle with the opponents' head, and to make Sonic just slightly harder to punish on his way down back to the ground. Can be used anytime Sonic is in the air and isn't in his Spring-Jump animation (that means it can be used as a follow-up from Spindash Jump and because the opponent usually doesn't expect a Spring, the spring coil projectile hits a lot of opponents after the first attack gets blocked/shielded). Improperly used can lead into devastating punishment, if not self-destructs.

DTilt - Quick attack on the ground meant to be used for a variety of things but loses utility as the opponent gets higher up in damage. Sets up into combos/chains, used as a quick counterattack, and can somewhat keep a shielding opponent pressured. Improperly spaced on block lead into punishment; whiffs moreso.

FTilt - Yet another quick attack on the ground meant to serve specific purposes at certain moments. Does 11% fresh if both the torso and leg hits connect, Sonic's safest + fastest ground attack, and with reasonable cooldown. Not enough to avoid quick, long-ranging punishment however.

Dash attack - A far-reaching, fairly quick attack that will occasionally set-up into strings/follow-ups, camp landings, and occasionally sneak in places. Fairly unsafe on block (unless it hits immediately as the first hitbox comes out and hits the back of the opponents shield(in most cases)), and at low percents usually leads into being punished.

Not-so Commonly used moves:

Homing Attack - Only guaranteed good as a way to stall recovery and give Sonic an extra vertical/horizontal boost in recovery. Serves as a very situational mix-up and does 8% on hit fresh. The start-up on this lag is too much for it to be used from a combo string; but that's why it's "situational." It works on opponent who aren't expecting it, and usually don't because they know that this move is bad and it shouldn't be used for much of anything. The cooldown is equally abysmal and makes this move a high risk, medium reward (if even that) type of move.

UTilt - The anti-aerial. Comes out before a normal human can react to it, does 14% fresh if all hits connect, can be used to pressure/poke opponents on platforms, and serves as a back-up/desperation killer. Unfortunately, it lacks horizontal range, has a hefty amount of cooldown, and must be used sparingly.

FSmash - Sonic's strongest kill move in terms of knockback. Comes out somewhat slowly and the cooldown is something to scoff at (for them). 14% damage uncharged fresh, 20% charged fresh. Mainly used (correctly) as a punisher, and less often properly used to punish a predicted action. High risk, high reward. "Deceptive" range, with deceptive being a loose term thrown in. Unsafe on block.

DSmash - Second strongest kill move in Sonic's arsenal. Equally as slow to come out as forward smash, this move posses more utility at a slight price of the degree of "presence" its utility has. Used to punish a landing, has hitboxes that stay out for a relatively long time, and is for the most part safe due to the low cooldown on the last part of the hitboxes, and has nice shield pushback/shieldstun from the first parts. A quick, long-reaching attack can be used to counterattack from block with some success. Nothing too bad about this attack when used correctly.

USmash - A sparingly used move meant to challenge/respond to aerial approaches upon release with its one(?) invincibility frame and disjointed hitbox that encases Sonic. May be used to rack up damage, but if the move whiffs it leads into heavy punishment, and if blocked is not that much better off. Pressures a shielding opponent on a platform, if not shieldpokes them. Can be used to camp landing situationally thanks to Sonic's blend of movement speed and traction. Mediocre damage even if all hits connect, and charged.

Dair - A quick way for Sonic to get somewhere below him. Does 6% fresh, has a hitbox around his foot, and possess a stall-then-fall property that can be used every now and then to throw off an opponent that intended to punish Sonic's "proposed" landing site. Can lead to somewhat heavy punishment if predicted, and getting the heavy cooldown lag with this attack makes it even moreso unsafe to use with an opponent nearby. The attack is usually used with a different intention aside from direct attack and is mainly used to keep the opponent guessing with him in the air.

Nair -A quick but low-ranged attack with a considerable amount of animation frames. Racks up 11% damage fresh and if the first hitbox connects. Can be used to set-up strings, and sometimes used as a finisher from a combo/string. Can kill if fresh and the opponent is at a high percent. Reasonable landing lag. Average move.

Ledge get-up >100% - Two hit attack that sometimes pokes opponents/shields waiting for you at the edge of the stage with invincibility. If blocked however, the resulting punishment afterwards becomes especially hard-hitting due to the stage boundary closely behind you. Use with extreme caution. It may be worth noting that the first hitbox has an unusual property with the angle it sends the opponent at; which in most cases is towards Sonic so that it leads into the second hit; when the second hit doesn't connect strange things happen.

Ledge get-up <100% - Nothing too special. Comes out fast with invincibility, and does slightly below-average damage. Not safe on block. High risk, low-medium reward.

Recommended stages: Go wherever you are more comfortable on, or the stage your opponent plays worse on. It's a mirror matchup, anything about a stage you pick, your opponent can abuse the same things too. Any stage hazard that isn't there, neither of you can take advantage of, or be taken advantage of.

Matchup verdict: gdjgnzuhuipznhurzhnurhnu0hurpheryje

That's the only thing that will be on your mind after this. You were probably already insane before, but after this, you will be.

=========================================================

Yep. Definitely looking forward to any criticism from other people. I also specifically left out some information like Sonic being cypher-gimped because I am assuming high-top level play in my write-up, which as we all know it rarely, if never has the opportunity present itself. I'm also real skeptical of my write-ups for specific attacks, and how to counter them from there. I'd really like some input on how I could make it better, and without any input I have to assume I did a goodjob/the best possible job that could be done.

The matchup verdict I left as is because once again I've been working at this for a bit and after some time there's just really no way for me to have sum it up in a short manner. Anybody who can help is highly encouraged to tell me how to fix it/put a more proper closing in. Try to avoid more gibberish/spam though, it's already obvious it's quite difficult, no need for "confirmation" posts.

I'd also really appreciate it if anybody can tell me anything I left out/should add into the guide. Many thanks for reading! I really hope this helps out anybody that (still?) plans on playing this matchup out. I am a bit sad to see how so many from this community despise this matchup, but I suppose I can see where they are coming from.

I personally love it, being able to see what different things I can learn from, and the pursuit of knowledge is worth it to me in the end, no matter the procedure it's acquired from.

Also, while I'm not forcing anybody to play a certain way, I encourage more of you to try to go through with this. Yes, I know it's boring; yes, I know it's hard, but then again, so is Sonic. and this is just one more matchup. You may have trouble with Meta Knight, Lucario, Olimar, Pikachu, Snake, Marth, whoever.

Okay, I think I'm done with the motivational speech. I don't know how else to put it, or how to put it better. Do work, get work done, you're all doing a great job, you got this, I still think we have a ways to go but regardless, yada yada yada. Moar Sawnik dittoz dammit!

By Kinzer

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You still have yet to answer my question.

Regardless though, does Tenki's MeatKnight thread apply to dittos?

It would seriously be nice if we had some kind of reference, but as I've been doing so far, making it from scratch isn't so bad.

If I'm not miSteaken, Sonic can punish himself's Bair with somethimg like a tilt attack, sure we all know it has some pushback and lag, but we all know how commited he is do that Bair. Not only that but it would probably be much better to stay grounded in this ditto match.

Thoughts?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Seeing as how it's not character specific it could.

I thought Tenki though would've gathered to data from heavy analyse from his own playstyle and the few times he would fight us over Wi-Fi to see what we all were doing wrong.

He did a d*** fine job at that too.

Because he had to tell me I was Spring -> Dairing too much.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Regardless though, does Tenki's MeatKnight thread apply to dittos?

It would seriously be nice if we had some kind of reference, but as I've been doing so far, making it from scratch isn't so bad.

If I'm not miSteaken, Sonic can punish himself's Bair with somethimg like a tilt attack, sure we all know it has some pushback and lag, but we all know how commited he is do that Bair. Not only that but it would probably be much better to stay grounded in this ditto match.

Thoughts?
Sonic's B-air is shieldgrabbable, especially if you do a falling early b-air, since the shieldstun ends earlier (more time spent falling) and it gives the opponent more time to react
Tenki's thread DEFINITELY applies to dittos. That's where he got the info right?

LMAO Just copy and paste that.
lol

Yes and no.

It definitely applies to dittos. In fact, you could do more, like the one I mentioned earlier where you do an early spring to punish a predictable spring use, which I can remember pulling off on CiTH and iSpiN (lol, that one time when you were all about spinshot and kept springing when you were recovering - I think that was one of our last games - its been a while o_O; )

As for the thread, it's not all from dittos - like punishing SDR>aerial, I got that from watching other people play vs Sonic (cough, Ally's Falcon vs Sonic), or were done to me.

And infamously, the D-throw DI+tech+free followup was confirmed in a Sonic ditto.

:O

That would be secks to have only Dthrow > tech battles.
Like secks where noone's ever on top and you're constantly punching and kicking the other person in the face because you want to be the one on top.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Like secks where noone's ever on top and you're constantly punching and kicking the other person in the face because you want to be the one on top.
I really, reeeeally want to sig this...... but I just can't lol.

Wow.

Sonic dittos are 70:30 Sonic and eh has a 0-steak combo and doesn't afraid of anything.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
...Why does that sound so familiar with the false SBR?

Sure you give them some love, and yet they still make you feel bad because...

...You know what... I'll just leave it at that.

Small tidbit : DTilt is probably punishable OoS, so be smart and don't use it in a Steak ditto 'less you tend to hit with the very tip of the shooz, you should be worrying about your opponent doing this if something is wrong with them should they use it.

Browny

Smash Hater
the dumbest sonic dittos are when both players spam ASC and ALWAYS shield cancel it into a grab. you all know the types of vids, im sure weve seen em on youtube...

seriously one of the worst dittos ever when played like that lol

Tenki

Smash Hero
the dumbest sonic dittos are when both players spam ASC and ALWAYS shield cancel it into a grab. you all know the types of vids, im sure weve seen em on youtube...

seriously one of the worst dittos ever when played like that lol
Sonic's F-air beats ASC.

lol problem solved

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Wouldn't anything with a little bit of disjointedness beat Sonic's ASC?

Unless I'm miSteaken, the hitbox for ASC is the outline of his hurtbox, right?

I'm sure you could probably even Nair Sonic out of ASC.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I don't know about N-air, but I did notice at one point that Sonic people have this horrible tendency to repeat moves when they get interrupted.

Like, I F-air you out of ASC, and the next thing you do is charge ASC again and get F-aired off the edge.

and +lol if it's homing attack.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
the first one to see the attack plan of the other has the advantage first. if for example, the sonic loved Fsmash then I'm probabaly gonna be more movement oriented. if they like grabs, then i should be ready to spot dodge for them. if they like spins more, if they like bair more. i gotta try to pick out those kind of things quickly.

to me that's the hardest part because if its a good sonic, then most tactics they know and use. its a massive mindgame fest sometimes. lol. im gonna stop talking now. i kinda wing it against a sonic as sonic, and just try to be the better player.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
No doubt, having more knowledge on your own character will help you, as you will have more tools, and not really having a style will have you in not getting punished so much.

It could just be that being the better player here, will get you the win, unlike say D3 dittos where it's just "Get the first grab and you win... GO!"

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Almost finished...

Ike ~Character Matchup 33

I fight for my friends

Introduction

He can kill anything in one ****ing hit.

With his movement being on being slow and hinded with a slow attack speed. But will being blessed with some of the largest ranged attacks in the game, with amazing kill ability and 4 spikes to boot.

Jokes on his taunts, forward smash of a nuclear war head. N00b bait, bad rep :( Has the same assumptions as Sonic, slow and easy to gimp, so other character boards listing this as 70:30 to them is a common sight.

Behaviour:

Ike wont just throw out laggly moves that Sonic can easily punish, rather he would use his quicker attacks such as his jabs, Nair, Fair. Ike may hinder Sonic's areal approaches with Uair, Nair and a retreating Fair.

He can avoid your spring by sliding under the lips of certain stages (final destination, smashville). Expect for him top DI towards the stage and try an aether.

Not the easiest to juggle either. If you try an Spring > Uair, you may find your Sonic eating an eruption and getting star KOed at 20% at least. :(

Ike will be spacing his nair so that the tip hits putting Ike in a very good spot and out of Sonic's grab range. Nair also is easily followed up by a jab or grab. Fair will be more used if Sonic comes into the air against Sonic or just to mix up approaches. Fair also has IASA frames so do be careful when trying to punish a fully spaced Fair.

Ike will sparing use any of his smashes. Sonic is too maneuverable to be hit normally by a smash but usmash can sometimes be used when Sonic happens to be in the air, but never will Ike use a smash when Sonic is on the ground. Thats just giving Sonic free damage.

Also be warly of Ike's move reliable killing moves, bair, utilt, and uair.

Commonly Used Moves:

Jabs:
Ike has and amazing jab. At 16% damage, can be jab cancelled into a another jab or tilt. And can kill if it's fresh. This is going to hurt.

Ike's jab, when timed correctly, can beat out spindash.
So yeah, don't approach him with spin dashs and charges.

But on that note, Ike's jab is a little slower than Falcon/Snakes' auto-jab, so it's easier to hit and power shield between his jabs than it is to hit between theirs.

Fair:
Ike's Fair is the largest ranges aerial attack in the games. And it can kill as well. Therefore approaching by the air for Sonic can be difficult since it's out range all your aerials. Instead, stick to a grounded approach. With Sonic's speed, you should be able to punish retreating fairs.

Nair:

This will hit in front of and behind hit and can be auto cancelled making it difficult to punish. At low percentages, it can be followed by an up tilt or another Nair.

But dash > shield can work. Depends on slide.

But Ike can also grab if you keep dash shielding

Up smash:

This like many of Ike's moves can kill you around 110%. It can be used to punish you if the player correctly predicts an air dodge/spot dodge.

It's often used to edge guard, covering also of area if used right. When used under a platform, it's cover the entire platform.

Usmash is slow on start up and release, but it starts charging by 10 frames. Ike's dsmash is faster than two of his tilts. Comes out in 13 frames, just like his utilt. however dsmash leaves Ike open for so long and its job is usually covered with usmash.

Usmash has 20 frames of IASA, so do keep that in mind if he hits you from the front of Usmash that he doesn't jab you all of a sudden when you attempt to punish.

Down tilt:

Don't hang on a ledge to long...

Dair:

The 3th most powerful spike in the game. This can kill you, spring or no spring.

Up tilt

It can be jab canceled into and has a lasting hitbox.

Hinders Sonic aerial approaches, it can kill Sonic 110+%,

How to Win:

Especially because he has a larger range then you, this can be achieved by adding pressure by trying to bait reactions while keeping at a moderately safe distance.

Try and not leave yourself in a position to be punished since Ike can punish you harshly. And remember that he can kill you quite early.

Well the thing is that Sonic can switch his form of approach. He can cancel his running with side B then spin charge.

So in terms of prediction, I think Ike may have a harder time since Sonic has more options approach wise and does have the ability to deal with jabs and Nair.
His dash shield grab is unusually good and can push through Ike's Nair and jabs.

You can gimp him with a spring, but it's not as easy as it sounds. Ike can DI under the lip of the stage, and still recover by Sliding his Aether upon it. He also has super armor frames in his Anther. If he ever tries to recover by quick draw, air dodge in it's path, and he'll fall to his doom. Before you go chasing Ike off the stage, try and not get a Fair in the face... Mind his Dair And Aether spike if Some how you ever get below him.
Hindering you spring.

Recommended Stages:

Ban-
Battle field, Delfino and Pirate ship

CP-
Firgate Orpheon and Final destination

Matchup Summary:

:sonic: :ike:
50:50 Even
So how is the write so far? Did I miss something?

Edit: Oh snap! Accidental double post D:

Sorry Xiivi. :(

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ikes will also forward smash when you are on the edge, outside of your ledgehop airial range, hoping for you to walk into it.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Forward smash is situational, you will only get hit if you are being predictable/********, it is too GD slow to be used for anything except "oh God I hope he falls into it..."

And yeah, I guess I will have to put it down as 6:4 Lucario's advantage, though I've no objections.

P.S. you spelled "Frigate" wrong, Chis.

Fix that.

There's that, and Dair also has a nice little sex-kick attribute to it if the spiking hitbox doesn't connect, make mention of that.

Speaking of sex, Tenki talks like he knows how it goes down... >.>

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
dude, trust me, ive play two of, possibly THE two best ikes in the country.

if theres any match i have experience in its this one.

has hard as ike hits, theres going to be many occasions where you are in the situation to fall into or ledgehop into a f smash from ike, good one can space that shiz, the same way that they hyphen smash if you are falling from up high.

its more like " man i really hope I can time this right because the other guy really doesnt have any options other than to air dodge into it"

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I just hope that you remember to not do anything but an ledge-dropped SDR-pivoted Bair when risking it with Ike on the ledge KID, if anything I would just want to Spring through that shizz and try not to get land-camped on the way back down.

Especially not with how Sonic gets around on stage should you ever have to fall for something such as Ike's FSmash. I could understand if this was D3 but Ike is not broken or cheap in any way (except maybe Jabs and FSmash if you're bad and get killed by them at 30%, but that's stretching it already).

P.S. I used to play Ike as a main and would still use him in tourney play, so I would at least hope I am basing off my posts with experince from both sides of the matchup.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ledge bair will miss ike if he spaces correctly

yes, springing over him while he is forced to be stationary is the best move it seems.

just saying, being in a postion to get smashed by ike is not hard, and its not an infrequent occurance.

just watch for it. ike mains know that their character is bad, and will thus go for the early kill whenever they can.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Sonic dittos seem very reliant on playstyle. An offense heavy Sonic seems to win out more easily unless the other Sonic tries to be 100% defense and simply waits for misteaks.

The first one to figure out any habits and flaws the other seems to have will have the advantage here as Sonic relies heavily on unpredictablility and both people knowing the character cripple that slightly. In fact,figureing out your opponent can very easily determine the outcome if he doesn't learn to mix it up quick enough.

Of coarse the one with more tools at his disposal will be better off. (lol I still can't spinshot on the ground :urg:) This is a complicated player heavy matchup.

But on the bright side it's 100:0 Sonic's favor lol

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Haven't we already done Ike?

If we're going back through characters, there's a fair few that I can reasonably question, Yoshi for example.

Disadvantage? Really? :\

infomon

Smash Scientist
Have any high-level Sonics fought any high-level Yoshi's? I doubt anyone really knows how it'll work out. Yoshi has two grabs with great follow-ups, and grabs tend to eat Sonic hard. However, Yoshi's grabs may be avoidable and are certainly punishable if they miss. I don't know how any of that would work out at top-level play.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I've played a fairly passable one offline.

Yoshi can't kill for ****. This is not player specific, it's down to the nature of his non-existant awkward kill moves and that Sonic is generally a difficult character in his nature to hit with slow moves.

There wasn't a part of Yoshi's gameplay that I found particularly a bother. Pivot grabs are difficult to deal with to start with, but it gets easier as time goes by. This is pretty much all they can do against Sonic's "run em down" tactic, and it just becomes easy to deal with thanks to the nature of the cancellability of Sonic's "approaches".

I'm ill and frazzled, so that may not have made any sense :\

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ive played 2 great yoshis actually.

yoshi has to be frame perfect to pull a follow up after the CG, or even to do the CG in the first place

Tenki

Smash Hero
I thought you just had to buffer a dashgrab as soon as you could move.

=/

I mean, that's 'frame perfect', but it's not like you have to delay a certain amount first, I think lol.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Had some good Sonic dittos with a good Sonic under green lag. :D

-Shouldn't be defensive
-The most predictable one loses

More laters.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Rick, I think we got the peach matchup pretty much done, both boards agree it is 6:4 Peach's favor, and for more or less the same reasons.

Unless something new is found for either character (and works on said character... doest he Bear/Bair trap work on Sonic? Lol), nothing will change.

Roy we're going over a Sonic ditto first, if people want to bring up old matchups, it's because they personally are concerned with it/they are the ones managing the write-up, such as Chis' situation with Ike when he brought it up.

I'm starting to see how you should play Sonic as Sonic, but I want to see other people's opinions since I don't have too much if any information I could personally contribute.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Everyone who has write-ups to do should probably get working :p
Kinzer, if you want me to do a write-up for you which you can copy paste, just tell me, you got a lot of work.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I know G2, In fact since I probably have the time right now, I'll see what I can do about the multiple incomplete write-ups that I have to do.

...So I herd ya liek LukaweeO's!

Top Bottom