• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Thanks Flamingo for the complements!

The Fthrow->Grab can also be done with Dthrow->Grab, and you have more options (IMO) to combo out of the Dthrow.
I'm trying not to roll so much now, but I'm so use to rolling that it's pretty hard not to. If you want to see my replay against a pro Falco, look at Kismet2. I'm pretty even against his Falco (his main), but I got lucky on the recorded match :chuckle:.

Thanks for the critique :)
Yeah I watched them all, and the things I listed pretty much went for all the vids.
--He never missed a laser cancel (if that's what you call it). Dude, he was the sickest Falco I've seen. (Although haven't seen many) But dude, congrats holding your own against him.

jc_off_the_heezay

Smash Apprentice
Here is a vid of my Sheik. Critique!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmxERbDlhxk
working at.
Well try to be careful using tether recovery as you see in first stock you got TO predictable.
Also when you dash mix up your attacks. Do back flip fairs.
The start randomly back flip fairs to mind game.
Try fairing back onto the stage a bit.
It's a good mind game. Just drop from edge jump and fair onto stage.
Aim and be a bit more pacient with your vanish kill attempts.
At end you should of played safe and got to edge quick.
You don't always have to be aggresive using sheik.
Marth has no projectiles! Camp with Neediles. Get him to come close and then space your *** off. XD

Pros:
You do have a good sheik I love you Ftilt set ups into another moves at times.
Overall good match.
Nice damage rackage. :p

Look back I ,y last post I have new matches edited in. CRITIQUE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
B U M P

will people please read the forum stickies first and view the usable threads before posting
critiques should go here.
edit: >__>
it's stickied now

Jo0

Smash Cadet
Moving from my thread earlier(Sorry for not noticing this before)

I know I'm not that good with Shiek, but I'd like to know what people think of it. I've broken some of my old habits recently and I think this replay shows where I am with my shiek as of now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDvBhJqoA9E
Here's my replay to the last post to it.

Sorry Voyeur right after I posted this I saw the new thread. I'll be sure to post my next vids (if any) when I get them. Thanks for the input by the way, yeah Usmash is my habit from being zelda I switched to shiek a few months ago I knew it was a problem but I figured I can kind of grow out of using Usmash and start using Dsmash more.

D

Deleted member

critiquing vids of 3-stockings....

???

not many ftilts vs the sheik

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
Remember to PM East if you want your vids Featured on the front page in the first post under the critique section so they aren't lost in the thread's posts.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
@ Stealth3645
Pros: Awesome use of DACUS and grab release, good spacing. You used Jabs well against mario and your edge guarding is really superb.

Cons: you don't always have to use the invincibility frames of the ledge during your opponent's respawn. Use the platforms and Sheik's over all agility against certain opponent's that can get easy spikes, like Marth.
Use Jabs more if your Ftilts are to early to keep a lock and try to use Rapid Jabs to cancel simple projectiles like Mario's Fireballs or a Pikachu's Jolts. It keeps you free from being grabbed during your shielding or forcing a roll dodge to a fixed spot.

It's probably better and preferred after you die and your opponent is at 100%+ to turn to Zelda to get the easy KO

Tips: It's hard to think of during the moment but try to visualize where you will reappear when forced to Vanish to the stage and how your Wind hitbox can push your opponent away from you to cancel your landing lag.
Don't be scarred to Fair recovering Ness/Lucas' or try to snipe with needles during PK Thunder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ speeding_sonic
Pros: pretty good but should probably challenge yourself with fighting better opponents

Cons: Used Vanish a lot (I do this too), try to use the chain more to recover and get back and Vanish only when it's necessary

Tips: Don't get up so early, you're still invincible for a while, you lost an easy edge hog kill on the first match and almost could of lost the last kill by going up early with the last stock on Link.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@JOTH

pros: good follow ups during edge guard

cons: should camp more with needles against opponent's who have no ranged projectiles like Falcon and others, force them to come to you. Think you should fight some better opponent's to base their skill more to see where you're at

Where is your Ftilt (Ftilt-lock)? you could be doing that SOO much more

you were doing Random Upsmashes and fsmash or repeated grabs when they're not necessary. Wait and watch your opponent where they're going to move and don't waste frames of you whiffing the air.

tips: learn to chain lock and chain guard, I just picked up like yesterday and got ***** in matches against Sinking. It's real useful though
Don't try to Vanish glide on YI....XD

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Flamingo's new cucumber videos.

I've got new vidzz. "When will they be posted?" you ask, whenever East gets back and updates the front page! Or I will post the links whenever someone says "YAY YAY FOR FLAMINGO DAY!"

Whichever comes first, friends.

Oh, and by the way, I used the tag "TREY" in all 3 rounds of the money match.

Edit: Also, I did the exact thing I said not to do, and lost because of it. Don't do it!

PS: If you guys watch all of my videos (Which I hope you do...) it will be much appreciated. If you guys are planning to only watch one, watch the third one. In the third video, it appears that our Utilt spikes. I used the Youtube revision mode to point this out to you. (It might have happened on more than one occasion, I recall a viewer saying that it spiked earlier in the match too, idk.). If I get a supporting second opinion on whether the Utilt appears to function as a spike, I will make a new thread.

Soooo, tell me what you guys think of my spacing, style and overall performance. (I try to work on aerial spacing every time I play, please tell me how much I've progressed) And also feel free to discuss what appears to be an Utilt spike. Thanks guys.

Edit #2: Actuallly... I JUST CAN'T WAIT vs. OmniOstrich MM Best of 3 Merry Flamingo Day! :p
My Sheik is kickin'!!! xD

PSS: Stealth, did you get enough critique for your set of vids? Sorry if I posted too early without you getting all he advice you wanted. (Let me know soon, and I'll edit this post and take everything out). Just trying not to be a douche.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
YAY YAY FOR FLAMINGO DAY!!!!!

I'm okay with you posing up your vids. My sheik has changed quite a lot since the vids. So I will probably just be told what I am already doing.
Thanks for your concern though :bee:.

I'm going to another tournament next week, so I'll most likely have new vids of my improved sheik :chuckle:.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
@Flamingo:

pros: Good Sheik game and your opponent knew what he was doing too so, yup. you play norfair really well, yours was really over aggressive with hazards
good use of Vanish recovery to wind in last match but....

cons: Try to just reappear down so the wind blows them back even during Shield. you didn't needle snake as much as you gould of, don't let him cook those nades. 1 needle is even fine. I feel you let him set up the field a lot, I play aggressive with snakes so hmm.

tips: Ledge drop to Nair recovery during campy mortar Snakes if the missles are comming down over the ledge. Don't Shield to early on the wave of lava, and your vanish can hit them if they're in an upper platform while in the bubble to use it to your advantage.

I personally try to do what I said above, then chain grab a ledge with it still hanging, wait for the time and B to gain invincibility

spike: it did seem to have that meteor mash property of a hit to it, but when could some one ever get the Utilt to work in that situation to do it down off the ledge. But yeah usually Utilt hits them up, that clearly sent Snake down.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
@Flamingo
WOOT!!! Another green sheik :bee:
As I watched you matches, I noticed that you play a lot like I use to. So I feel like I can really help your sheik. Also, I noticed you tried the Fthrow -> Grab on snake during the first match. It works, doesn't it :p?

Critiques:
Don't do what I use to do. Don't jump off and chain the ledge when someone respawns. It puts you at a disadvantage. Especially against snake. A good snake player can guard the ledge really well with full hop Nair and Utilt.

NEVER roll behind a Snake. Like you said in your third vid, you lost because you rolled too much. If the snake can predict you doing this, he can and will turn around and Ftilt you. I learned this the hard way by losing to a snake that did this in a tourny :(.

Find a better time to switch b/w sheik and zelda. I noticed one match where you hit snake really far off the ledge with over 140%, and you just stood there. Then after he got back, you tried to switch. If you make a side kill with zelda, you have to be fast in switching back to sheik or else the opponent will hit you.

Don't use vanish so much. I know it's a great kill move, but you should use it when the enemy can't do much to avoid it.

Be careful using the Ftilt on Snake because snake can pull out a grenade and blow you both up, ending the lock.

Tip:
One thing I found against Snakes is that you can do the Fthrow ->Grab much easier than other characters. Usually, snake will try to air dodge, resulting in another free grab. Sooner or later, they will pick up on this and try doing aerials. If you can predict when he will do an aerial, you got another free grab since he has so much landing lag. If he jumps, then punish him with sheik's air game, or try to grab again.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Diddy [Nannerz] 1

I like how you made sure that you used his banana's to your advantage. He spotdodged quite a bit. There was a point where he did it like three times in a row. Down Smash more to punish. Zelda's glide toss is pretty much amazing. I'm surprised you didn't do many glide tossed smashes [Up Smash would have been ****]. Transforming on the level while Diddy is there is a bad idea. He punished you in the best way possible by planting a banana at your feet, and as soon as you lost your invincibility you would trip and take a forward smash to the face. Lol at the Diddy's recovery attempt barrel kill. I didn't see that one coming.

Diddy [Nannerz] 2

Nice onto-level heel when you took diddy's first life. Was the music from Megaman?

I'll get to more later...

Villi

Smash Lord
You don't have to do them all or at all if you don't want; you can also just be entertained by Sheik winz except for the Diddy ones which are not winz. lol Or tell me if I did something stupid that I should fix.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Nah, I'd be more than happy to. Cause watching other peoples videos gives me ideas how to improve my game too.

**RESERVED FOR VILLI's EVENTUAL CRITIQUE** hehe

Ok, after watching the diddy vids, I'd say you did about all you could do vs. the banannas, keep the fight close to him and pressure his shield with ftilts and the like... I'd like to see a little more ftilting, and possibly a little more needle usage, but you did well. And although I know nothing about Zelda, you have a good one. One thing I might suggest is that you keep on glide tossing, but once you glide toss, do like a Dsmash or Usmash afterwards. When I fight Diddys with my Meta Knight, I glide toss often and find that I can KO easily this way. (Glide toss->Dsmash/Fsmash)

Overall in the diddy matches, I was pleased that you used his bananas against him, a lot of people don't do that, and slip until they die.

AND I LOVE THE JAB COMBOS. They are good. And especially good when they are used near the ledge and your opponent wants to DI twoards the stage rather than away, thus taking more damage.

(Specifics)

Vid 1 vs Diddy
-Where is the Dsmash? I never saw it. I often use this to punish spotdodging, and it's a quick punisher. Especially since you like to Down+B for the kill, I suggest abusing Dsmash for damage (it can do as much as 20+!)

-Good OoS Nairs for quick punishment and comboing. Good Fair momentum cancelling (DI or whatever)

Vid 2 vs Diddy
-I know Yoshi's Island is small, but watch proximity to your opponent when using your needles, I saw more than one occasion where you got punished for using needles too close to your opponent.
-SEXY ledge drop Lightning Kick.

Yay more Dsmash!! (Isn't it great?) More needles too, but in wrong places quite often. But it is hard to use needles against that Nannerz guy cause he likes to be up in your face pressuring you with bananas. Likewise you pressured him quite well.

Good job overall despite losing twice hehe. But Diddy Kong is an extremely difficult matchup, as is an extremely WEIRD matchup, which requires Sheiks to kind of not play how they normally would be able, with bannanas being in the mix.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
Critique this match!

This is me vs. dNes of the sonic boards, on a little late night wifi. One thing i think i needed to do more in this match was Nair, i see some situations where that would have been more helpful than the other **** i did. And i also revolve majority of my game around sheiks grabs just because if i guess how a person reacts to a grab i KNOW what to do and what works. But it's hard catching sonic...on wifi. But other than that please critique.

I've been playing sheik competitively in the smash scene for 3 years (second to my ness in melee for anyone that cares).

I will be in a small 30 or so man tourney on Sun so maybe i'll get some vids from there.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Villi your getting really good, your mistakes are happening less and less.

Flamingo

Smash Lord

This is me vs. dNes of the sonic boards, on a little late night wifi. One thing i think i needed to do more in this match was Nair, i see some situations where that would have been more helpful than the other **** i did. And i also revolve majority of my game around sheiks grabs just because if i guess how a person reacts to a grab i KNOW what to do and what works. But it's hard catching sonic...on wifi. But other than that please critique.

I've been playing sheik competitively in the smash scene for 3 years (second to my ness in melee for anyone that cares).

I will be in a small 30 or so man tourney on Sun so maybe i'll get some vids from there.

WEEEIRD!!
What happened at 1:22? You just like fell off the ledge and went down.. And Sheik made a sound. It was like a ledge drop while on the stage..

Critique
At like 3:10 (and one other time) where Sonic is recovering vertically while you are on the stage, dangle the chain off the ledge... It screws him up real bad. The chain in general isn't bad against Sonic... I pull it out whenever I am up a life... good 20 or so damage before he Springs me.

Chain drop->Vanish... Got predictable. Good mindgame at first, but doing it multiple times can get ya punished I would think. I would have been sure to stagespike you after the second time. (Sonic might have trouble with that though...)

Good platform vanish glides though... you made sure they were unpunishable.

Did I already say more needles? Sonic's fast, but needles still work, and screw his Side+B and Down+B approaches I'm pretty sure.

Good air game, combo stringing, etc... Moar Ftilt.... Use Sheild-cancelled dashes...

PS: Wifi is a wh*re. Can't tell much from a wifi match though to be honest.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
Thanks for the critique flamingo. Umm at 1:22 i think i just ran off stage and it didn't hit me that i ran of stage lol.

That little 30+ man tourney is today, hope someone takes recording equipment. I'll let you know how i do.

East

Crappy Imitation
@ <3: You haven't seen SinkingHigher use the chain. When we played he worked my *** with it and even chainguarded me to a death.

Edit: Valentines Day Matches

vs. ZSS [Blade1844]~*Now with more failed Dacus attempts*~

vs. Zelda [Powuh_of_Pie]

Pie dodges like there's no tomorrow, and I don't know how to punish it except dodge back and Dsmash...
I don't know how to DI. How do you do so?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
@ <3: You haven't seen SinkingHigher use the chain. When we played he worked my *** with it and even chainguarded me to a death.

Edit: Valentines Day Matches

vs. ZSS [Blade1844]~*Now with more failed Dacus attempts*~

vs. Zelda [Powuh_of_Pie]

Pie dodges like there's no tomorrow, and I don't know how to punish it except dodge back and Dsmash...
I don't know how to DI. How do you do so?
East just grab Pie when he SH airdodges around everywhere. Every character has 2-4 frames of landing lag where they are vulnerable. It may not seem like it but if you can predict where they are going to land you can punish then everytime. Utilt will probably also work since it is a multi-hit move.

When he spotdodges on the ground......just jab. There were a bunch of times where he abuse spotdodging and you could have charged a dsmash or jabbed him.

Oh and this is one of the best instructional videos out there for DI if you don't know what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQIy7P7RWo

It is specifically for Link but the same principle remains. For Smash DI purposes Link players use their fastest aerial which is bair. Sheiks fastest is nair but you should use fair because it has the quickest duration.

I WRECK DI, i don't know how to explain it though, much less type it out.

Some one please fill me in on key CHAIN tactics.
Go read Sinking Highers guide......that's what it's there for.

Also if anyone could help me out by uploading some videos for me it would be much appreciated.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
You played seamlessly that first stock of the second match (though the Pit did think its only attacks were Dash Attack and F Smash). Villi, the more I watch you, the more impressed I become. Keep up the progression. I'll edit with some critique later, but to be honest a lot of it will come down to playstyle preference, your Sheik game doesn't have much in the way of obvious errors.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Woah. In the first game, did the chain just do ~100% to the Pit?! Unless that Pit played is extremely bad at TDI/SDI, I need to use A LOT more chain.

East

Crappy Imitation
Goodness Rathy, you've gotta find a better mode of transportation than rolling. You're also spot dodging way too much. If you weren't rolling you were running. Walk don't run unless you need to. 2nd Steel wrote up a guide detailing what I'm saying in the Tactical Section. When you run you shut out many many options you have, but by walking you have a lot of things you can do.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but you should have no need to approach Wario. Needle camp the hell out of him. I'm pretty sure you can just shield the bike and then pivot grab him. Speaking of grabs, nice grab release to Up smash death. Use Directional Influence. You lost your first life at 92%. I'm pretty sure that you could have lived longer if you DI'ed the hit.

P.S. I've got some videos coming of a very very very small [8 people] tournament from yesterday

Top Bottom