• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with kirby

ChozoAce

Smash Cadet
k my bro mains 4 different ppl i have no probs with any of the except kirby. I donno maybe because i play him alot he can see everything i throw at him he knows all my tricks.

but what bothers me is that kirby has no lag on barly any of his moves. he grabs after i do ANYTHING and hes impossible to spike. i dont know wat to do against him.

So im asking you what is the best approach, what should i be using more often against kirby and anything extra you guys can throw in.

Uffe

Smash Hero
You main Ness? :confused: I would have never guessed. Okay, so it'd help if you told us what he does, but I might already have an idea of what he's doing.

In the first part of the fight, Kirby will most likely grab > f-throw > uair > if not grab > f-throw > grab > f-throw > uair. Is that even possible to pull off? No idea. That's what mosts Kirby's I've fought like to do when I'm at 0%. For his Final Cutter, if you're at a distance, just absorb the beam that fires out. I do believe Kirby is light, right? Juggle him with PKT. It's best to use the tail of PKT, too. If he decides to use his Stone, the tail will sustain him in the air. That's the part where you must figure out how to escape from getting hit. I usually hit myself away if it's possible.

When you're off the stage, Kirby's got many options of how to defeat you. He can use his Drill Kick, he can use his Stone above your PKT2 to avoid getting hurt in the process or he can suck you up and spit you out. Of course they usually like to use the Drill Kick or Hammer on you. Whatever the case, there is a way to work around these. Save your second jump. At least you can use uair, fair, nair, dair (if he's below you for some reason) or you can just simply air dodge. As for his Stone, that's difficult, but not very many Kirby mains use this one.

If he sucks you up, it's not impossible to escape it. Usually I end up footstooling Kirby when I escape and if necessary, I use PKT2. Does this Kirby just f-smash over and over again? If so, try to dair him. I'm not exactly sure that'll work, but it's worth a shot, I think. I've been lacking in the Kirby match up department lately, but there might be others that have greater ideas.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
I haven't played many tourney kirbys but as Uffe said, Dair CAN be useful, whenever they try to grab you, dash attack or fsmash. Idk the match up ratio but my friend plays kirby pretty well and it can be an annoying match up for me.
Watch out for kirbys upb when near the edge of the stage cause like ikes upb it can gimp you, and try to absorb it when you can IF he uses it as a recovery. Also any Down b's, idk if kirby mains use them often but if they do i'm sure they do it at times itll actually hit you.
And it is possible to spike kirbys but you have to be very creative in how you do it simply cause they will expect it, cazcombo can work if you know the angle since kirby doesn't get too much movement on each jump alone.

I'd stick away from using pkfire except to catch the kirby off gaurd? Simply cause kirby can get out of the pillar fairly easy since he has multiple jumps.

Levitas

the moon
Watch for his fsmash. You probably won't be able to react to it, since the cue is so late into its startup. It kills pretty early, too.

If he sucks you up, he gets PK flash, which is clearly the most broken move in the game. When this happens, consider it a game loss. Also, he's wearing a hat.

His bair is almost as good as DDDs, so when recovering make it a priority to get to the edge or stage before he can set up an edgeguard.

The fthrow uair regrab is legit at low percents for most character to a certain percent. They'll try to finish it with something like reverse utilt to as many bairs as they can get away with. DI to escape it as soon as possible, but don't jump out too soon. If you think you can nair in time, do that instead.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Watch for his fsmash. It kills pretty early, too.
This is true. I think it's lame that Sakurai's little ***** has that type of power.

If he sucks you up, he gets PK flash, which is clearly the most broken move in the game. When this happens, consider it a game loss. Also, he's wearing a hat.
This hat is totally useless on Ness. They should have stayed with PK Fire. :laugh:

Anyway, pretty much what Levitas said. ;)

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Kirby`s tough...at low percents I say play defensive, since Kirbys just want grabs at low percents (kinda how we want grabs at high percents xD)

Ok heres an incredibly dumb tecnique that has worked before...If you pk thunder a kirby will ussually use rock to smash you or at least get away. One time a kirby used rock above me but a platform was above me (he canceled out my pkt when he went rock.) I charged up a pk flash and he stayed in his rock, naturally. BOOOOOOOOOM! A strong PK Flash will knock him out of rock and send him flying. This is really situational, but o so satisfying.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Damm, Levitas is here, he got more Ness knowledge than me, but I have Kirby and Ness knowledge because I main these two. >=D

Have anyone try PK Thunder camping? It really wokrs on Kirby if you get him in the air, just don't hit him directly, just circle it around him. But too approch him, Ness has a great F-Air, so I'll approach with that, watch out for Kirby's F-Smash, it's effective but easily punished, so grab him when you get the chance and make use of Ness's grab combo's. Don't approach from the ground, Kirby has more range on the ground than Ness. Also Kirby's B-Air is easily spamable, so beware of that to.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Damm, Levitas is here, he got more Ness knowledge than me, but I have Kirby and Ness knowledge because I main these two. >=D

Have anyone try PK Thunder camping? It really wokrs on Kirby if you get him in the air, just don't hit him directly, just circle it around him.

A smart Kirby will Fair any PKT and negate the thing.
Kirby only outranges with fsmash. Down/Up smash aren't that good, they have bad ending lag, and a good spotdodge -> grab can punish effectively. His most dangerous tools are bair, fsmash, dair, and hammer. When Kirby tries to use cutter to recover on the stage, the best thing to do is back off and absorb the cutter wave.

Levitas

the moon
Kirby is fun to play as. It's kinda cool that he drops a star on hard landings but not soft ones. Too bad about his severe weakness to characters like marth.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Marth outranges and zones the heck out of everybody. XD

Don't bother answer my last question, I'll just lurk look around on the Kirby boards.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
A smart Kirby will Fair any PKT and negate the thing.
Kirby only outranges with fsmash. Down/Up smash aren't that good, they have bad ending lag, and a good spotdodge -> grab can punish effectively. His most dangerous tools are bair, fsmash, dair, and hammer. When Kirby tries to use cutter to recover on the stage, the best thing to do is back off and absorb the cutter wave.
He won't kick it if your crafty with PK Thunder, as I said, you may have to circle the PK Thunder to trick your foe because Kirby can't kick the tail of it and get rid of it like that, he has to kick the head. Your right about Kirby's most dangerous tools, though you should add Air Hammer instead because the ground hammer lacks range and timing. And the Final Cutter part, a lot of good Kirby mains won't use it as a recovery most of the time and little for a projectile. If they do use it, it would mostly be close up to Ness when Kirby's in the air or when he's comming back, so remember that when Kirby come's back, don't expect the Final Cutter to come all the time, Kirby has one of the most unpredictable recovery in this game.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
The best approach against Kirby is the one where you don't approach at all.

FlashGamma

Smash Cadet
Master the sour spot Dair. Since it sends the player sideways, they'll almost always DI incorrectly. Plus, it doesn't matter how many jumps you have if you get spiked horizontally off the screen. =P

Top Bottom