• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WWYP X - A Loaded Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Wow, I can't believe we've all ready reached the tenth WWYP. Oh how time flies! But I get ahead of myself: Welcome to the next installment of the infamous SWF writing contest:

Write With Your Power X!

Overview

For those that are familiar with the competition, welcome back. For those that are new, a brief explanation will do. WWYP is a contest for aspiring writers where a prompt is selected (a war story, a story within a story, etc.) and all entrants must write a story related to the prompt and then are finally judged against a rubric with the top three placers earning marvelous prizes, the most sought after being the Smash Writer title and it's snazzy orange name and maybe something on the side! ;)

This contest, the prompt is a little different from the ordinary one. Typically, it's a straight shoot with a basic premise and maybe a little excessively droll for first time write. So, with the often present help of a certain some one, I picked a prompt that was some what done before, but has a new spin on it: "Three People. One Gun. One Bullet. Go." That's it. It's up to you. Can end any way you want and have any people you want. I would also like to point out the gun is just a device that is not necessarily set in stone for you. It could be a wizard's staff or mystical tome or anything else with one last fire remaining in it. The "people" could be fairies, robots or pollywogs. You guys have a lot of freedom in this and you best use it well :chuckle:

Now, to the rules.

Rules

1) NO PLAGIARISM- If your entry is found to be plagiarized, you will be banned from the contest and further repercussions will be enforced. Do not do it. Period.

Deadly Turnip Corollary- No posting any stories that have been previously posted on another forum or website, even if you were the original author. All stories must be first seen here to be eligible for competition.​

2) Post your story in a thread before the deadline - Currently, the deadline is negotiable. I'm aiming for a month deadline (3/8/09), but that can easily be changed upon several requests. When you post your thread, make the title of the thread "WWYP X -*Your Story Title Here*" and I will sticky it and you will be set. However, the stories will be locked at least by midnight on the deadline and you will no longer be able to edit them, so make sure you have it exactly the way you want it by the deadline. Also, post the word count at the beginning of your story just so we have a ball park estimate of how long it is.

Also in regards to this, CK and I have decided on having a "Set in Stone" date option. For those that have judged before, you know how hectic it is to get all of the entries done once the deadline hits. So, if you finish your story and PM me telling me your story is absolutely finished in every way shape in form, I will lock the thread and CK and I will judge it whenever we have the time and record the comments/scores. So there should be no difference in the final placings and CK and I will have an easier time judging :)

3) Follow the Word Limit - The word limit for this contest is between 1,000 and 2,000 words. These boundaries have a little leeway (if you have 2,200 words you're perfectly fine) but if you write a 10,000 word story then it will be taken into account in the judges placings. The word limit is there to help you learn how to edit your story and to make sure it doesn't branch out past the short story genre. Also, if you go over by a substantial amount it will hurt you significantly. Scores for each category in the rubric are not individually posted, but they are factored in and losing 1/4th of your score because you wrote an epic will probably knock you out of the top 3.

4) Have Fun - Really, the point of this contest isn't to just win or place, but to write something you enjoy and have a good time doing it. So try to place, but don't be discouraged if you just barely miss the cut.

And on line with the last rule, Crimson King and I decided to have an option available to new entrants that may be a little intimidated in entering a a writing contest for the first time. For them, they can have their story reviewed and critiqued by the judges but not actually have it scored against the other stories. If some one wishes to do this, just make the title of your thread "WWYP X - *Your Story Title Here* (NS)" so we know it is a Non Scoring entry.

Judging

Currently the judges are:
1) Me
2) Crimson King
3) Jam Stunna

Anyone with known writing experience (preferably a past winner) that wants to judge can take the 3rd judges spot. However, I promise on all that I can promise on that He who must not be named will have no part in judging whatsoever.

The Judging Rubric

The judges will grade the stories based on the Scurvy Rubric, listed as follows:

Adherence to Prompt -
Virgilijus - How interwoven is your story to the guidelines? If the prompt were a genre, could some one read it and instantly know the prompt was fantasy or satire? If they can, you followed it well. If not, you avoided it too much. Also, the prompt should be well utilized: a story that requires a mythical object should use it for all its potential worth, not merely mention it and check it off the list.

Matt - These points should be easy to earn. How well did you engage the guidelines? Did you engage them creatively? Did you engage them with your power? If I ask you to use a gun in your story, will you give me knife? Take risks, but don't disregard our basic expectations.

Tone -
Virgilijus - The overall mood of the story; the feeling that you get when you read it. This is made up by the setting, characters, dialogue, and the imagery. Unless it is directed by the prompt, the tone for each story should be different, but they should all impact the reader. A good tone should get the reader immersed in the story, whether or not it is from blissful country sides or horrifying mad men. How real is your story in the readers mind?

S*** - Tone is made up of character (do your characters seem real? do they talk real? are they interesting), setting (Does your story have a sense of place? Of time? Are we always oriented?) and imagery (can we see what's going on?)

Style -
Virgilijus - This is what separates your story from others of the same plot. How do you describe people, actions, and places? What rhythm do your words have? How quickly do you move the plot? Style is your paintbrush to show why your painting of little girl is different and more powerful than some one else’s.

S*** - The most technical of the categories. Did you use proper spelling and grammar? Did you try to push the envelope with your sentence structure? Did you construct the plot in a significant manner? This category relies heavily on phrasing and specifics.

Enjoyment -
Virgilijus - Enjoyment is the immediate and long lasting appeal of your story. While we were reading it, was it a page turner? After we finished, did we sit and think about the theme or the final scene? Is your story an accomplishment, or just words with a beginning, middle and end?

Matt- An enjoyable story brings plot elements and theme and, frankly, everything listed above together in a way that is both memorable and engaging. We're talking about the WOW factor here, and these types of points aren't easy to earn.

The judges will only present the final placings of the contestants once the contest is over.

Awards

Due to the new "Free Avatars for Everybody" policy here at SWF, the awards have changed slightly.

1st Place - Smash Writer Status, Custom Title, and direct input into the next Contest
2nd Place - Smash Writer Status and a Custom Title
3rd Place - Smash Writer Status

Any questions? Concerns? Comments? Insults directed at S***? Ask away! :)

And remember to...

Write With Your Power!

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
STory?

Interesting prompt. I like it. I probably will not have time to write an entry this time, despite that I want too.

Now that I said that, all money goes on me being the first person to put an entry up.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I'm considering entering, providing I can think up a story idea... Generally I suck at writing short stories. I have to write an "epic" or nothing at all, but perhaps I can change that... *goes somewhere quiet to think*

If the prompt were a genre, could some one read it and instantly know the prompt was fantasy or satire? If they can, you followed it well. If not, you avoided it too much.
Could you clarify this please?

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I like this prompt. It's already got me thinking of ideas. Just like Airgemini this will also be my first WWYP contest. Good luck everyone.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Ah, interesting. Hopefully I will find time to put up an entry for this.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I've got a question regarding the prompt. Are only 3 characters allowed total? I'm just wondering if we can have a few secondary characters just as long as the story primarily revolves around 3 main characters and the firing object.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
CK caught me for censor dodging the name S*** and he didn't even infract me. Softy.
Virg needs to make a user blog advertising this :)

Virgilijus

BRoomer
Could you clarify this please?
Essentially, we shouldn't have to get out the magnifying glass and take notes just to see if you followed the prompt. If we asked you to write a science fiction story, then we should at least part way through that it is a science fiction story. If the story is about a unicorn, the unicorn shouldn't show up in the absolute last sentence so you can say "See! It has a unicorn in it! :)"

I've got a question regarding the prompt. Are only 3 characters allowed total? I'm just wondering if we can have a few secondary characters just as long as the story primarily revolves around 3 main characters and the firing object.
You can have more than three characters. But I'd like to tell you a quote I remember from Kurt Vonnegut (who knew a wee bit more than I on the subject of writing): "A short story has room for 1 1/2 characters". That's not to say others can be introduced, but with the three characters you have, you won't have time to give a lavish back story to each without bogging the story down in minutiae. But yes, you can have as many characters as you want. Now, it's up to you if that is that is a good idea ;)

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I've been at this prompt for the last hour and a half and I must say it's a challenging task for sure. I've got a base down for the setting and the situation but deciding where it goes and making the character personalities fit it in a logical way is a puzzle. I wonder what the process is going to be like to build-up, take-down and then rearrange a short story in a 28 day period. I hope to improve greatly within the time frame from where I start today to where I finish by March 1.

So far the best advice I can give to the new writers is to take a little bit of time each day to make the story the way you want it to go rather than proscrastinate and have the pressure of the deadline dictate how it winds up.

26 days left. Good luck.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Raise hands if you want Jam to be a judge.

I say this because his comments on stuff is deadly accurate. While I am a good editor, I suck at critiquing on a level understandable to the average writer. If you are doing it for fun, my reasonings for editing will not make as much sense, but Jam can and does a great job at it.

Just saying...

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Does the "gun" object have to be a weapon of some sort or can it be anything with one last use, or "bullet"?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Does the "gun" object have to be a weapon of some sort or can it be anything with one last use, or "bullet"?
This contest, the prompt is a little different from the ordinary one. Typically, it's a straight shoot with a basic premise and maybe a little excessively droll for first time write. So, with the often present help of a certain some one, I picked a prompt that was some what done before, but has a new spin on it: "Three People. One Gun. One Bullet. Go." That's it. It's up to you. Can end any way you want and have any people you want. I would also like to point out the gun is just a device that is not necessarily set in stone for you. It could be a wizard's staff or mystical tome or anything else with one last fire remaining in it. The "people" could be fairies, robots or pollywogs. You guys have a lot of freedom in this and you best use it well :chuckle:
So, yes.
It doesn't have to be a gun.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
i guess that means i have to win

i started writing my story tonight, it will probably be finished this weekend and up early

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
"Three people. One gun. One bullet. Go."

This sounds like fun. Good thing I remembered this existed (with the hiatus and all)

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
...I just randomly ventured into this area through a series of links, and I'm glad I did.

I'm actually aspiring to be a writer, so this should be good practice. :3
I just hope I don't butcher it all to hell too badly...that'd really suck. The prompt is pretty good too, but like other people said it's rather challenging. I have an idea, but to make it work I'm thinking I need to include backstory...but hopefully I can work around that. :\

Actually...right now I'm just hoping I can get this done before March 1st without having the two papers I have due this month for literary analysis getting in the way. D:

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I have a few ideas, but I'd need to clear a few things first.

First of all, is any specific content banned? I'm including terroristic threats, some bad language, and 1 bad scene (you know what kinda scene :p). Is anything like that bad to have in?

Second, the theme. Does it litterally ahve to be 3 people, 1 gun, 1 bullet, or can you use symbolism for it? Like, 3 bad situations, but only time to personally deal with one. (that's another idea i have).

3rd, and this is my biggest block, the word limit. Even three thousand words gives me a little more room to work with. So, around how many words can we still have before points start being reduced?

I really hope I do good enough to have my name in Orange. That would be sweet.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
Anything is fair game in terms of content, though some are definitely frowned upon. Namely smut. But moderate violence and threats and terrorism and suicide and drugs and cursing are all allowed.

The scenario is three people and one weapon with one last use. You can write a story about three different situations, but it will be deducted.

Word limits help you become a more efficient writer: everyone can ramble on, but it takes skill to be able to reduce a story and still keep all of the content. It's up to the judge's discretion to deduct points, and anything they consider significantly over or under the word limit will be subjected to deductions.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I'm done with mine (finally). I would like for somebody to take a look at it for grammar and spelling errors. Any takers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom