• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Awesome Official Weekly Fox Doubles Thread--Week 14/15: Pikachu

Sukai

Smash Champion

Stickies would be epic...
But it probably not necessary....
Thanks Kheldar...
-.-

This is a thread about the Characters who does well with Fox in doubles.
And who doesn't.....
n.n

We discuss why this character or that character does well or does not do so great with Fox, and if possible, the respective character mains will contribute.

This thread will be updated weekly with a random pick of my choice.

The chart will be from 1 to 10, 10 being the highest. 1 being the lowest.
The ranking works on Fox/Fox = 5--that being average, from there, other characters will be ranked based on this average estimate, will they perform better, or worse than this?
Kudos to Zhamy for clarifying the need for a better ranking description.
If possible, I'll also provide a quick summary on why this character does or doesn't do so well when teamed with Fox.

Week 1
Wolf

Summary:
I honestly think Fox/Wolf wouldn't make a very good team. They both(Wolf especially) have issues with being gimped. Their move sets are similar, there isn't much uniqueness to the team. The only real strength I see if Fox's strong aerial game and Wolf's strong ground game put together.
Week 2
Snake

Summary:
Fox and Snake's contrasting styles make them a wild and dangerous team to fight against. They both compliment each other well and can more than make up for each others' weaknesses. Fox dominates the skies while Snake and his fancy traps and Godlike tilts dominate the ground. Both team mates have reliable kill moves that can take out the other team around 100%. Fox just has to watch out for Snake's explosives or he'll eat an early death. If the Snake is any good he's not going to die anytime soon...Snake is fat as hell and his partner has the speed to quickly rush to his aid if he's ever in trouble...
Week 3
Link

Summary:
First of all, Fox and Wolf are just as bad as Fox and Fox. Really.

Now, link and fox are not the best. All their strategy lies in having projectiles flying everywhere, and quickly dashing in and out of oblivionbattle. And not getting gimped. (people are still forgetting the length of zair...)

Fox will have to dodge links projectiles crap, and keep up with the other team. Link will have to stay on the stage.

There, my two cents. oh the rating, 3/10

epic.
Week 4
(a bit late, sorry)
Peach

Summary:
Turnips! Have the Peach throw them upwards and airdodge/aerial into them. Once caught, you have a cute new approach. Turnips are awesome in teams - made better if the partner has a good glidetoss.

Though, I thought Fox has a really "eh" one?

You get the stocks! I'm not an expert on Fox, but from the several I've played I came to the conclusion Fox can KILL. Peach is amazing as a damageracker - just watch as the percents shake up to 100%, then zoom in with a signature usmash. Peach's ability to float on a different plane then the rest of the characters also helps in not getting killed herself. It's a really awesome combination.

Toad tricks! As a counter, Toad is only "adequate", but in teams, Toad can be used to his full extent. Have Fox start bombarding with lasers and Peach use Toad - you now essentially have a high ranged, high knockback fan of spores to use at any moment. Normally, this works well with any projectile partner - but with Fox's lasers, I can't think of any other projectile best suited for it.

It works by hitting Peach from any angle, but it'll throw the spores out in front of her. Awesome as an edgeguard.
Week 5
King Dedede

Summary:
DDD sets you up for upsmashes really well, and can be done at pretty much any point in a fight.
Week 6
Wario

Summary:
I've never teamed with a Fox to be honest. He'd be an amazing partner under all circumstances except aiding you when you are being gimped. He does not have multiple jumps or a projectile, and hitting someone up with the bike is easier said than done. As far as damage racking/tanking/setting up kills he's great, though. You cover ground really quickly as well so you can help him out of grab releases as needed.

I'd say an 8 or 9 b/c of how good he is in teams in general and as a partner, no 10 b/c he can't really save you if they've gimped you kinda far.
Week 7
JigglyPuff

Summary:
Jiggs in general is very good on teams. She can't be gimped, can save fox from gimps. Her aerials can setup a fox up-smash. Phantasm is great for getting Jiggs out of rest lag.

Fox: great ability to get vertical KOs, has a projectile. Very fast grounded
Jiggs: great ability to get horizontal KOs, has incredible aerial maneuverability and speed.

Really dangerous, maneuverable and fragile team. 8/10 due to the insane KO potential and speed.
Week 8
Bowser

Symmary:
Fox does the damage, Bowser does the killing. The spikey turtle is generally a beast in teams, and a good Fox-Bowser-Team using Fox' speed and Bowser's defense and weight correctly can absolutely destroy.
Week 9
Mewtwo

Summary:
Some guy]lol mew2 isnt in brawl nub.[/quote] [SIZE="5 said:
Week 10
Sheik[/SIZE]

Summary:
I think is better to stay with shiek... the speed of the match with fox and shiek together is so fast that it can cause the opponent to make a lot of mistakes and two things can happen: 1) sheik can get the opponent of the stage and try to gimp him/her while fox take care of the other one, or 2) while one or the other is comboing one of the opponents the other comes and finish it with a simple but devastating up smash that both have. The only problem is that both are lightweight so they to be careful with taking to many damage. With this team even pika can be such a problem for fox because sheik would help him almost inmediately. In my opinion this is the best team so far we have discussed, I really like it. By the way, the next one can be Marth-Fox? I am really interested in that one.
almost 5 weeks later

Week 14/15
Pikachu

Summary:

M@v

Subarashii!
I honestly think Fox/Wolf wouldn't make a very good team. They both(Wolf especially) have issues with being gimped. Their move sets are similar, there isn't much uniqueness to the team. The only real strength I see if Fox's strong aerial game and Wolf's strong ground game put together.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
No to Wolf/Fox. There's nothing to complement each other. There's no synergy. They don't have spacing or movesets that really complement each other. They both have the same kind of weaknesses (exacerbated on both sides).

Zhamy

Smash Champion
3 out of 10 on a good day. There's nothing you particularly gain from using Wolf as your teammate.

Also, what is this scale based off of? Getting a "feel" for doubles teams isn't particularly effective, so I suggest you rate these in relation to a Fox/Fox team, where that would be 5. Or if not that, some other standard that has a baseline. Just throwing out ideas here.

Sukai

Smash Champion
3 out of 10 on a good day. There's nothing you particularly gain from using Wolf as your teammate.

Also, what is this scale based off of? Getting a "feel" for doubles teams isn't particularly effective, so I suggest you rate these in relation to a Fox/Fox team, where that would be 5. Or if not that, some other standard that has a baseline. Just throwing out ideas here.
That's exactly what I was going for really, I guess I should make it a bit more clear on what it's based off of.

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
thats kinda hard for snake and fox bcuz almost all characters (IMO) are good with snake since he already has the stage control.

5/10. fox's lasers are not supreme as falcos which is not good and fox's speed is pretty good but not a lot of power moves well imo that is.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
thats kinda hard for snake and fox bcuz almost all characters (IMO) are good with snake since he already has the stage control.

5/10. fox's lasers are not supreme as falcos which is not good and fox's speed is pretty good but not a lot of power moves well imo that is.
What the ****.

You're completely wrong here. Fox and Snake are **** good, because once Snake gains stage control, it opens up a box of **** from Fox. Things that were previously unsafe now become safe because the options are 1) eat a grenade, mine, etc or 2) eat a combo. The laser comment is ridiculous; it's not like there's much camping in 2v2.

fox's speed is pretty good but not a lot of power moves well imo that is.
Have you ever played a semi-decent Fox, or have you spent your entire time talking out of your ***?

Not that you even seem to know anything about teams. I quote from your other thread:

i don't care what the **** you say about this thread i just wanted to ask this.

ok why is everyone all like "i suck in teams, im not good at it" is there anyone that is actually good at teams? step up and talk lol. but yeah do it.
Holy ****! You sound like you don't know anything about teams! Maybe it's because you don't? That's usually an indication that you should not try to argue things that you don't understand. Usually. Luckily for you, you're not an exception. Thanks for your input.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
christ that was ****

edit; i just tried this team out with a friend and im not too wild about it, the plus is that you can play very offensively because you know your partner is going to be a stock tank living at rediculous percentages, Snake covers the ground, Fox takes the air, both can kill around 100% and rack damage easily so K.Oing the opposing team should be cake (something cool is to follow up a snakes utilt with a well timed bair), i dont like how Snakes explosive game is seriously cut back in teams, im not saying its useless,but at times it can be a real pain for a teammate, then again i could see a much more experienced Snake absoluting dominating in terms of stage control with a Fox teammate so its possible that im wrong

your better off working seperately and just coming to save the Snake once he's being juggled or is caught offstage, in 2v1 situations however this pair is simply beast, you can mindgame your oppt into moving wherever you want him to with the right setups out of dthrow 2v1,

Panix

Smash Ace
Snake and fox on a team....
I'd have to say lasers would get in the way of nades.
I'm not saying snakes camp during 2v2, But im telling you a snake will nade, no matter the situation.
They will pull a nade, and unless the fox dosn't spam lasers then it's trouble.

If the fox could hold back on the lasers, and utilize his air game, then I would say it could be a 6/10 team maybe 7/10.

Snakes ground game is the best IMO. and fox's air game is pretty beast.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Snake can chuck a grenade up and Fox can blast it with his lasers for early explosion anti-air attacks. They look stylish.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Snake can chuck a grenade up and Fox can blast it with his lasers for early explosion anti-air attacks. They look stylish.
This is almost as gimmicky as FLAMEDASH.

Sukai

Smash Champion
RRRAAAARRRRWWWW!!!!!!!!!
Whaoooo ****!
*holds Zhamy back*
I think you should leave now misterpimp.
I personally say a good 6.5/10--maybe a 7.
They work well at a distance from each other, but once it gets down to that last team mate, they can **** the poor victim blind.
Not to mention Snake has great ways of staying alive, so if Fox goes down, I'm sure Snake won't mind sharing a stock. They do definitely complement each other.
Although Snake is going to have watch out for the lasers, if their on their own side, that won't be too big of an issue.

M@v

Subarashii!
This is one of the two primary teams I play on with my partner(Our other one is fox/limar). Fox and Snake make a great team. Snake has great stage control, which can limit opponents, and make it easier for fox's upsmash. Nade camping works good here too. Snake can chuck nades over fox, with fox covering him from counter spam with shine. If they try to approach, fox jumps and snake mortar slides below him. Snake can edgeguard better than fox, so its best if snake takes care of recovering opponents while fox keeps the other opponent busy. In the same regard, snake can get into trouble with the predictable path of his recovery. Once again, fox can utilize his speed to help snake out, who isnt exactly a speedy person. Lastly. Both team members have insane KO capacity, so if snake grabs someone, fox can upsmash him. If fox grabs someone, snake can uptilt him or have him eat a RPG.

This team is probably at least a 7/10, more likely an 8/10.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
This is one of the two primary teams I play on with my partner(Our other one is fox/limar). Fox and Snake make a great team. Snake has great stage control, which can limit opponents, and make it easier for fox's upsmash. Nade camping works good here too. Snake can chuck nades over fox, with fox covering him from counter spam with shine. If they try to approach, fox jumps and snake mortar slides below him. Snake can edgeguard better than fox, so its best if snake takes care of recovering opponents while fox keeps the other opponent busy. In the same regard, snake can get into trouble with the predictable path of his recovery. Once again, fox can utilize his speed to help snake out, who isnt exactly a speedy person. Lastly. Both team members have insane KO capacity, so if snake grabs someone, fox can upsmash him. If fox grabs someone, snake can uptilt him or have him eat a RPG.

This team is probably at least a 7/10, more likely an 8/10.
Summed it up nicely partner...

Fox and Snake's contrasting styles make them a wild and dangerous team to fight against. They both compliment each other well and can more than make up for each others' weaknesses. Fox dominates the skies while Snake and his fancy traps and Godlike tilts dominate the ground. Both team mates have reliable kill moves that can take out the other team around 100%. Fox just has to watch out for Snake's explosives or he'll eat an early death. If the Snake is any good he's not going to die anytime soon...Snake is fat as hell and his partner has the speed to quickly rush to his aid if he's ever in trouble...

7.5/10 imo

KnucklesTheEchidna

Smash Apprentice
I don't post around here much but I read all the threads as I play Fox almost 50/50 with Zelda. I thought I'd comment here, however, because my former partner PNDMike and I had a number of top 3 finishes playing this team.

Most of the reasons for this team being great have already been covered. The two nicely cover eachothers weaknesses. Fox's speed can help Snake out of combos that his slow, fat *** easily gets him caught in, while snake's survivability helps make up for fox's lightweight frame. Both can rack up damage quickly and kill early. I would say its about an 8/10.

Here are some vids of this team if anyone is interested. Losers finals from early january.
1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb4tHYtCdSQ&feature=channel_page
2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_BIXYdin_Y&feature=channel_page
3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THMB7GFUork&feature=channel_page
4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjZiVbaL9ZU&feature=channel_page
5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQaVtZOE-U8&feature=channel_page

Tick&Hail

Smash Rookie
lol. This team works out nearly as well as Fox and C Falcon, and no I am not joking. Snake gets in fast hits that knock people away, his tilts are amazing. Both can rack up damage fast enough, Snake tanks, and in teams even the good people run into semi predictable moves so Snake and Fox can mash their kill moves at killing percents. They can both recover well enough and have their partner to prevent any recovery gimps, *coughSnakegetsgrabbed. I give an 8/10
In my opinion though, a team requires that the two people have some chemistry, that helps a bit more IMO than who they pick.

Rudementry

Smash Journeyman
Ok well I was going to make a super long post about how amazing fox and snake are, but it looks like you guys are summed it up.

Fox and Snake = 10/10

Best team available for a fox. One match (when I was with a snake) here was the outcome: Fox, 6 kills, 3 deaths. Snake, 0 kills, 0 deaths. Lol and the snake didn't just run away, he just didn't die. Honestly fox dies waaay to quick and too easy in teams, with a partner with almost always a guaranteed free stock for you, what could be better?

Zhamy

Smash Champion
This team is amazing if you like to be gimped by every character in the cast.

Yeah.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
You'll be dodging Link's projectiles as well unless you're controlling both characters with two controllers and your monster four arms. I guess good multitasking skills help too.

2.5/10

M@v

Subarashii!
How can I put this in a nice way....Link...well...sucks? If you want to be saving him every two seconds from being gimped at 0%, be my guest and use this team. Only thing he can really do for you is projectile camp.

1/10

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
Link might just be the worst teammate in this game, if your oppt was smart theyd just single out the link and **** his recovery.....Link has a great set of moves and whatnot,but its not worth having him on your side when he can die so easily

Zephil

Smash Ace
I have much experience using link in team matches and he did well... but not with fox... to many proyectiles for fox to worry about and with problems like gimping link and killing fox in low percents are issues that make this "duo" being not so efficient against good teams... 3/10

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
epic.

First of all, Fox and Wolf are just as bad as Fox and Fox. Really.

Now, link and fox are not the best. All their strategy lies in having projectiles flying everywhere, and quickly dashing in and out of oblivionbattle. And not getting gimped. (people are still forgetting the length of zair...)

Fox will have to dodge links projectiles crap, and keep up with the other team. Link will have to stay on the stage.

There, my two cents. oh the rating, 3/10

epic.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Peach racks up damage.
You kill.
x'd

I don't know about this one, but it think it will be fine ^^,

P.S. Please change that pic of Peach in the OP o.o

Bitter Romantic

Smash Journeyman
Southern California [Anaheim/Fullerton, San Diego]
also going with Yaaay here:
generalization:
Peach's biggest problem is killing, but can rack up a lot of damage

don't know much of competitive fox's playstyle, but your usmash is amazing
if you can kill [decently well/consistently/hopefully early], things are already looking up for this team

turnip saves, anyone?
just maybe? D:

I don't think you'll have to worry too much about turnips against you, as Peach's uses with is are pretty precise? it's not like they explode, you can reflect them as well :O
how's your guy's glidetoss? ;P

Peach's lack of range actually helps her a lot in teams
also, can your laser set off toad? yes, right? because that'd be so fun o.o

wouldn't know enough to give a proper rating

PS: Please change that pic of Peach in the OP o.o

Zhamy

Smash Champion
how's your guy's glidetoss? ;P
Fox's glidetoss is fricking amazing.

also, can your laser set off toad? yes, right? because that'd be so fun o.o
Yes.

Fox Bairs/Usmashes while racking up damage, Peach racks up damage and harrasses.

6/10, I'd say, but that's just me throwing out a number because no one I know plays Peach (well).

Top Bottom