• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Why is Wario so high? What does Wario have? .
He has a bike, an effing awesome bike.
Maybe i didnt express myself correctly. I meant, why is Link last in tournaments?
Or if you prefer,

WHy does everyone who use Link in tournaments lose?
thats a much better way to express yourself

to answer your questions...

link is last in tourneys cause hes a really bad character, and people who use link lose also because link is really bad.

however, if you look deeper, i think that hes last in the rankings because even though he is really bad, hes just good enough that nobody really wants to play him.

CF and ganon and IMO Jpuff are all worse characters. But ganon is cool because hes the dark lord of evil, CF is the manliest man to ever step his man-parts into man town, and jigglypuff is cute. theres really nothing outside of the game that pushes people to play link. also, people play CF and ganon in tourneys to prove how good they are, because winning with the worst character in the game is quite a feat. and you dont get the same recognition from playing the 4th worst character especially when he is without the same out of game coolness factors that CF and Ganon have.

thats why nobody plays link and the people who do, lose.

at least thats my theory

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I'd like to add on to what da K.I.D. said. Take the bottom four characters: Link, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf. I'd say Link is probably the best of these (I'd go and say he's better than Lucas and Mario, possibly Samus too).

Anyways, pretty much all of these characters are fairly simple. Hard to win with, but the basic idealogy of the character is not particularly advanced. Jigglypuff: Hit them off the stage until they die. Ganondorf: **** them before they **** you, Mario: Use very basic combos to rack up damage and attempt to gimp them before you get demolished.

Link is a whole lot more complex than that, having to use several space controlling moves such as the Zair, Bombs, Boomerang, Bow and having to also juggle several ATs. Spacing with Link is an art, killing with him even more so. Everything about his is complex: his recovery requires knowledge and DI abilities so you don't die every time you're off the stage, his aerials are difficult to manage and so are his smashes.

So what happens? You have an uber complex character that, even after you learn everything about him, still happens to not be much of a threat. Sure, at higher levels he's better than the characters I mentioned (Except for Lucas, who has enough fancy tricks to stay in the running) but nobody except hardcore Link users want to go the distance. And even then, they have to be very good to even do anything with the final project.

For this reason, sheer complexity in addition to low character value, will you not see Link high up.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Wario is a Jigglypuff on LSD that punishes you almost immediately for shielding whenever you do it and has some of the best kill options in the game.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Lulz. I'll tell a funny story if chewyy doesn't kill me: Metal shouted "We want a drill rest!" so I ledgehopped one to win the set. I turned around with my arms out-stretched to the cheering crowd, collected my winnings, and exited the venue via my Hummer limo filled with extremely attractive exotic women.

Also our first match of winner's finals was a Falcon ditto, so that's funny too.
I seriously lol'ed.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Maybe i didnt express myself correctly. I meant, why is Link last in tournaments?
Or if you prefer,

WHy does everyone who use Link in tournaments lose?

Then we get back to my point, hes NOT that bad, and there are a decent number of people who maine him... not as for example... R.O.B?
I know two other people have already responded to this, but it also has a little bit to do with the Link players not being as good as their opponents.

You have to take skill into consideration (let's just say Link and MK where equal for this example), and you still have to be better than your opponents to win, right?

I don't think anything else has to be added by this point.

asob4

Smash Champion
Palmdale Biweeklies 7
13 entrants
$5 entrance
2/14/09
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=4768

small tourney but points are points

1. Tyrant - Snake/MK
2. MikeHAZE - Marth/MK
3. Dory - Lucario/MK
4. CPU - DDD
5. Sky` - Peach
5. Creepy Fingers - Falco
7. Skank - Olimar
7. HugS- ROB

Another one I don't think was added in

Quizno's VIII
2/15/09
$5 entrance
84 entrants
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=4613

1. Fiction - Wario
2. DEHF - Falco
3. Havok - MK/Marth
4. MogX - Kirby
5. Camaman - Wolf
5. TKD - MK
7. Gishnak - Falco/GnW
7. Tyrant - MK/Snake

these are all assumptions based on who I know they play, but I wasn't there so I would need some confirmation. Pretty sure I'm right though

$haDy

Smash Apprentice
Palmdale Biweeklies 7
13 entrants
$5 entrance
2/14/09

1. Tyrant - Snake/MK
2. MikeHAZE - Marth/MK
3. Dory - Lucario/MK
4. CPU - DDD
5. Sky` - Peach
7. Skank - Olimar
7. HugS- ROB

Quizno's VIII
2/15/09
$5 entrance
84 entrants

1. Fiction - Wario
2. DEHF - Falco
3. Havok - MK/Marth
4. MogX - Kirby
5. Camaman - Wolf
5. TKD - MK
7. Gishnak - GnW
7. Tyrant - MK/Snake

these are all assumptions based on who I know they play, but I wasn't there so I would need some confirmation. Pretty sure I'm right though
I thought havok used mk and snake?

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Man, looks like a lot of Melee guys are getting back into Brawl now. I'm guessing this is due to the fact that there are an increasing number of Melee AND Brawl events now, so why not play both? Either way, awesome for the community. Looks like we are finally starting to pull together a bit more.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Man, looks like a lot of Melee guys are getting back into Brawl now. I'm guessing this is due to the fact that there are an increasing number of Melee AND Brawl events now, so why not play both? Either way, awesome for the community. Looks like we are finally starting to pull together a bit more.
Cactuar made it out of singles pools @ COT4 but gave up his spot to Santi for some reason.

The fact that Cactuar played in his first Brawl tourney and did well makes me smile :bee:

philbobjoe

Smash Journeyman
Cactuar made it out of singles pools @ COT4 but gave up his spot to Santi for some reason.

The fact that Cactuar played in his first Brawl tourney and did well makes me smile :bee:
Well, Cactuar would be very good at Brawl, because he is the type to get the first hit, a good strategy in Brawl.

Gishnak

Smash Ace
Palmdale Biweeklies 7
13 entrants
$5 entrance
2/14/09

1. Tyrant - Snake/MK
2. MikeHAZE - Marth/MK
3. Dory - Lucario/MK
4. CPU - DDD
5. Sky` - Peach
7. Skank - Olimar
7. HugS- ROB

Quizno's VIII
2/15/09
$5 entrance
84 entrants

1. Fiction - Wario
2. DEHF - Falco
3. Havok - MK/Marth
4. MogX - Kirby
5. Camaman - Wolf
5. TKD - MK
7. Gishnak - GnW
7. Tyrant - MK/Snake

I probably used falco more than GnW. *shrug*

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
yeah i know

that NY melee **** and MM got me HYPED
its mostly spam though

i never post anything useful

well, i do secretly i guess

Browny

Smash Hater
lol... DAD should like this :p

SGLP 09.02
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6694511#post6694511
Brawl 1vs1 20th Feb 2009
Entrants: 18 Entry/Venue fee: $9
1. Ant (Ganondorf)
2. DJBrowny (Sonic/Various) **
3. Jamage (Wolf)
4. Amal (MK/Snake)
5. Dale (Marth)
6. Aisuka (Marth)
7. James (Marth)
8. Groove Master General (Pikachu)

I say various next to my name because i used a different character for every opponent (7 characters total), but Sonic for about 7/17 matches i actually played. Going by what the message in the OP says about 'winning random matches' I think its fair to say my main was Sonic? idk, let me know what you think ankoku.

hyperstation

Smash Lord

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Trav's Bi-weeklies 2-21-09
14 Entrants
$5 Venue Fee
Staten Island, New York
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222540

1. Xace (Ike)
2. Larry (Metaknight)
3. Haxer (Snake/Falco)
4. Manny (Snake)
5. Dan (Toon Link/Fox)
5. Kegz (Mario)
7. COD (Captain Falcon/Wolf)
7. Random (Diddy/Toon Link
O_O

Dude! I don't care it was a small tournament, you beat a MK to win and to get Ike's second tournament win ever!

*jawdrop*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom