• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Concept of Existence (for proving grounds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
Hmm...who would have thought that my first debating thread would also be the longest?

I saw this thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=215270
and thought that it could be beneficial if we, the proving grounds members, also had a debate on the concept of existence.

The opening post is this:

I have been thinking alot about this lately, but what if our world, life, and existence is just a extremely advanced program created by a higher race. Because when you think about it, it is entirely possible that we don't even exist, we are just being watched upon and manipulated by something else. And if this were true, then what really is "life " in a sense?
What the OP is talking about is essentially the "Brain-in-a-Vat" theory; that the brain is simply being stimulated in a way that gives the illusion of our physical surroundings.
This is a idealist view of life, suggesting that everything we see is a mental concoction.

Personally, I don't think that this theory is true. Why? Two reasons.
1. Common sense suggests that it is likely not true without any evidence to suggest it.
2. I find the interactions between me and others to be far too believable.
This is not a scientific argument, simply a belief, as it is very difficult to disprove the "Brain-in-a-Vat" theory.

Now that I have covered the OP and what I don't believe, I will move on to other concepts of existence and what I do believe. I will try to simplify these theories down to easily understandable morsels of information.

Firstly there is MONISM, which holds that there is only one kind of "stuff" in the universe.

Materialism is the theory that everything around us is made of physical matter.
This theory has no room for "souls" or anything else that doesn't have a physical existence, and suggests that everything (eg. the mind, consciousness) can be explained by some form of physical substance.

Another Monist belief is Idealism, which is what was covered above; the notion that everything is mental, as opposed to physical.

Then there is DUALISM, which dictates that there are two kinds of "stuff" in the universe; often separated into physical and mental, or sometimes mind and body. Two popular dualist views are:

Substance dualism, which follows from what you were probably thinking about dualism. It holds that there are two kinds of substance; physical and non-physical. Things such as the mind or soul would fall into the non-physical category, while most other things would fall into the physical category.

The other main dualist theory is Property dualism, which I find to be gaining popularity. Simply put, it holds that there is only one kind of substance; physical substances. However, there are TWO kinds of properties that any physical matter may have; physical and non-physical properties. This theory suggests things such as "the mind is a non-physical property of the brain".

There are countless other classifications and sub-classifications of what the universe is to us and how exactly it exists, but it would take far too long for me to go into any more detail (I'm sure I'm already rambling).

In my opinion, the view that everything is physical, Materialism, works the best for me. It follows on from my knowledge of science, physics, and logic. There is no way that I could defend a view that suggests otherwise, simply because I wouldn't believe it. This doesn't raise any issues for me, as I am not religious and do not consider the "soul" to exist.

So what do you think? What side do you take?
If you think I'm wrong, then by all means, go ahead and tell me why. If you think something else, then defend your point of view.

Wrath`

Smash Master
In my opinion, I think people who over think the consept of existance need to slapped.

You and me and the other guy exist.

Also if there is another higher race, where did they come from, and where did there creator's creator's ect... come from? What was there before the big bang?

All I have to say is that there is no possible way to find the begining of existance. Techinalcly would the begining of existance exsist if there was no exisitance to begin with.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I had a whole discussion going on in my post, but my stupid computer crashed. >_>

Allright, I don't feel like typing it all up again, so I'm going to be frank.

The "true" concept of existance, is probably the most complicated thing we have ever encountered. There are a lot of variables, too many theories, and virtually no solid evidence.

However, scientific evidence suggests that there's "proof" on which we can prove or disprove claims. But how do we know it's even the actual "truth" in the first place?

Most likely it is, but religious people think otherwise. Or they think it's a mixture of both. The variables of such debated discussions make it hard to pinpoint a certain theory, and claim it to be correct. Or at least 100% correct...

I'm agnostic, simply because of the fact I don't want to "rule" out a theory as incorrect, or all of them as incorrect.

I don't necessarily believe in a "God", but I do believe we have spiritual forms, such as our souls, and reincarnation.

RDK

Smash Hero
I'm agnostic, simply because of the fact I don't want to "rule" out a theory as incorrect, or all of them as incorrect.

I don't necessarily believe in a "God", but I do believe we have spiritual forms, such as our souls, and reincarnation.
What evidence lead to you to believe that we, as humans, have something called a "soul"?

Aorist

Smash Apprentice
I have a scientific mind, and I'm therefore also a materialist.

Despite the fact that this debate didn't truly start off as a debate upon the existence of "God", I'm willing to debate about that topic if it is deemed within the scope of the argument. Is it?
However, scientific evidence suggests that there's "proof" on which we can prove or disprove claims. But how do we know it's even the actual "truth" in the first place?
...Huh? I'm not sure what you mean here.

The foundation of science is that you can only have proven something (Well, not strictly "proven", but near enough as experimental evidence can get you) if you accumulate observable evidence that it exists. The thing has to have a noticeable effect on something, whether it's your eyes seeing it, or your fingers touching it, or the gravitational effect moving another body or whatever. It has to have a result that is as predicted.

Science makes no claims of ultimate proof or truth. It just ignores unobservable things, such as anything "mental" (inasmuch as that doesn't impinge on the physical). So they might as well not exist. Gravity could be a lot of invisible gnomes pulling down on everything, but the way we have it now is simpler and has the same effect as gnomes. Even if the objective truth is that there are gnomes, if it never is any different from our current theory of gravity, it might as well not be.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
All I have to say is that there is no possible way to find the begining of existance. Techinalcly would the begining of existance exsist if there was no exisitance to begin with.
Well, that's what we call a pair of ducks. A paradox if you don't like the play on words.
Spell check, by the way.

I can't read this incoherent mess. D:

D

Deleted member

If I may - the colours in the original post are really distracting. I'd clean the first post up a tad, make it more organized. :)

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
um....ok, sorry the pretty colours took your attention from the real issue; what would you change?
Probably in bullet points or something. Don't write the topic as if it were an essay. Just present the facts and maybe a few discussion questions to go along with it. Also bolding or italics would be easier to read then color.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
I think, therefore I am.

This thread is over. Even if we are in some messed up computer program, we still exist. Anyone that actually believes they are in some messed up computer program should not be debating, he should probably be talking to a therapist.

D

Deleted member

I think, therefore I am.

This thread is over. Even if we are in some messed up computer program, we still exist. Anyone that actually believes they are in some messed up computer program should not be debating, he should probably be talking to a therapist.
So it's okay if the computer program is stable, right? Like if it's not "messed up?" That's what I believe anyway.

RDK

Smash Hero
Is there anyone in here who actually advocates a specific viewpoint of existence (I.E., monist, idealist, etc.)?

For the rest of you, you guys need to go into detail about exactly what's wrong with the different viewpoints. Substantiate your claims instead of just posting inane one-liners.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Is there anyone in here who actually advocates a specific viewpoint of existence (I.E., monist, idealist, etc.)?

For the rest of you, you guys need to go into detail about exactly what's wrong with the different viewpoints. Substantiate your claims instead of just posting inane one-liners.
Not that there's anything wrong with one liners. Having whoever you're debating against speak more than you, means that you have more room to pick at their argument. One liners help keep your argument solid.

(Most people in the debate hall have lame one liners though, I agree)

Aorist

Smash Apprentice
The point of the debate room is to have debate, not to win. You're not gaining anything by not allowing your "opponent" room to learn what you think.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
Probably in bullet points or something. Don't write the topic as if it were an essay. Just present the facts and maybe a few discussion questions to go along with it. Also bolding or italics would be easier to read then color.
I'm just gonna accept that some people don't like this layout; maybe incorporate some ideas into my next thread, whenever that is.

I think, therefore I am.

POINT OF THREAD

YOUR HEAD

The idea of the computer simulation was just an example of differing theories about our existence. The point of this thread is to debate our stances and opinions on these theories or beliefs.

Anyone that actually believes they are in some messed up computer program should not be debating, he should probably be talking to a therapist.
Ok, WHY? Need some discussion rather than bold and offensive statements.

Not that there's anything wrong with one liners. Having whoever you're debating against speak more than you, means that you have more room to pick at their argument. One liners help keep your argument solid.

(Most people in the debate hall have lame one liners though, I agree)
It doesn't work if you don't have an argument to begin with.

Spire

III
BRoomer
What we understand to exist will always be limited to the way we perceive and intake everything. The technological advancements we make will never reveal the "unknown truths" that we cannot naturally see, as we are still viewing and using inventions created by our own eye. I believe that existence is measured by the most relative theory to all things - light; the absence of light; and all matters of reading energy, be it thermal, optical, or any form of untapped cerebral interpretation.

I believe that all things that exist, or inversely-exist to what we understand "existence" to be are bound together by some form of universal energy; a conscience that pervades everything, be it matter, energy, or dark matter alike. In essence, all things individual are all things, as we exist only because others exist. You could not define your existence if you had nothing else to compare yourself to, but ultimately, we (everything) are all one in the same. Addition could not be defined without subtraction, and so can existence exist not without non-existence, but even then, that is a type of existence.

I've formulated a theory that further explains the above, bolded statement which I will post in a thread of its own eventually.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
Before I reply, I feel like I must say a couple of things:

1. Why does everyone keep talking about whether we exist or not? It seems like people took the question "do we exist?" from the original thread I quoted, even though I never questioned whether we "exist", or the definition of such a word.
This thread is aimed at differing beliefs regarding existence.

2. It seems like everyone here wants to be 100% right (or more accurately, 0% wrong), so they say that we can't know whether we exist, our knowledge is limited, etc.
I mean, that's nice and all, but surely we all have ideas of what we are? If we are purely physical beings, or just spirits trapped in bodies?

What we understand to exist will always be limited to the way we perceive and intake everything. The technological advancements we make will never reveal the "unknown truths" that we cannot naturally see, as we are still viewing and using inventions created by our own eye. I believe that existence is measured by the most relative theory to all things - light; the absence of light; and all matters of reading energy, be it thermal, optical, or any form of untapped cerebral interpretation.

I believe that all things that exist, or inversely-exist to what we understand "existence" to be are bound together by some form of universal energy; a conscience that pervades everything, be it matter, energy, or dark matter alike. In essence, all things individual are all things, as we exist only because others exist. You could not define your existence if you had nothing else to compare yourself to, but ultimately, we (everything) are all one in the same. Addition could not be defined without subtraction, and so can existence exist not without non-existence, but even then, that is a type of existence.

I've formulated a theory that further explains the above, bolded statement which I will post in a thread of its own eventually.
I just want to say one thing before I reply, and hope it doesn't offend you.
From what I've read of your replies, you seem to avoid answering questions or taking sides entirely, sparking other unanswerable questions. You seem to be trying to write a poem or something.
For example, you we're speaking about light being a measure of existence. If that were to make sense at all, you would have to explain it, because a great rebuttal is "what about blind people?". I'm no authority, but I think you should stay more on topic. Just a suggestion.

Anyway, I read a Socratic dialogue between Socrates and some of his pupils. The theory is essentially the same as yours, which Socrates gets the others to agree to. Then, through a chain of arguments that I'm sure made sense thousands of years ago, he "proved" that the soul, or a similar non-physical existence, exists.

Yeah....sorry, don't really have anything more to say on what you said, because it...well...it's more of a writing piece, not to mention it's kinda off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom