• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grmzo's Guide to Efficient Self-Improvement in Smash

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
This is a guide that I wrote today (Sunday), and I believe everyone who is having trouble improving, or is otherwise not where they would like to be in terms of skill, should read or listen to. I'll have a link to an audio later on, but here's the thing anyway.

Also, I'd like to get some feedback on this from people who might have different opinions. This is something I think we can all contribute to in order to get the best possible explanation on how people can stop being noobs. Noobs with bad attitudes hurt the community because it spreads around. I just would like to ask you to help me make people better :)

Here we go:

-----------

There is one very important thing that I wish to address to the smash community. It is something that I believe is a huge impediment to our progression. It just happens to be attitude. I see this as a problem because everywhere I look, smashers are getting caught up in this delusional world where improvement is simply a case of seeking the advice of better players. I don't frown upon asking for advice, but I do frown upon relying on it. I have a strong opinion that many players need to fix this, and I have a guide as to how to do so.

I will try to isolate the problem, the details of the problem, then the same for the solution. Take note that what I'm about to tell you is based off of years of tournament experience and many hours of thought and hard work. It's something that took me a long time to realize, and I am about to share this with you willingly, so listen up.

The problem: The majority of low-level smashers believe that they can improve by getting others to tell them how to play.

A detailed analysis: They most likely do not realize this, but based on what people like to post about with their silly threads in the character-specific forums, this is the undeniable truth. Quite often, I come across threads that look like this:

Anonymous Scrub said:
Hey, just wondering if you can watch my video and tell me why I'm losing.
or,

Random Nubface said:
I'm having a lot of trouble improving my tech skill. I still make a lot of mistakes during matches. What sort of tricks do you guys use to make it easier?
or finally

Anonymous said:
STEAL CARS, EAT BABIES I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to beat Falcon with Fox, since I'm having a lot of trouble with it. I keep getting hit by knee combos and getting tech chased, but I don't know why. What do I do to prevent this from happening?
(I've exaggerated these, of course, to make it clear how silly these types of posts are)

I'm quite sure you've all had people john nonstop about stuff like this. These are huge problems that prevent people from going anywhere in terms of skill and tournament performance. The following three things are generally people's biggest hindrances:

1) You can not improve solely using other people's answers.

2) You can not improve if you look for easy tricks to make you better.

3) You can not improve if you make excuses for why you are losing.

So, what does all this have to do with you? Well, unless you have already passed this phase of your career...everything.

The solution: Learn how to improve yourself.

Specifically: First and foremost, if you have not already heard them, take the time to listen to these audios.

Video 1 - Gimpyfish's "Playing with the proper mindset"
Video 2 - Gimpyfish's "Accept your character's weaknesses"

In Video 1, Gimpyfish clearly explains the importance of having a good attitude. You most likely will not be able to get anywhere if you think you're losing for any other reason other than "they are out-playing me". If you accept that, then you can move on to the next stage: getting better than your opponent. Just recently, I have been confronted with players whom I thought I was better than, but was not necessarily winning as much as I thought I should be. Rather than trying to convince myself that I was actually better, I decided to try and figure out why I was losing and figure out a strategy to combat this unfamiliar play style. I worked on it for a while, but after a decent amount of time, I started to win, more and more, until I was winning every match with stocks to count. So, you no doubt wonder, how do you do this? Let's look back at Scrub #1's post:

Anonymous Scrub said:
Hey, just wondering if you can watch my video and tell me why I'm losing.
Well, I have to tell you that it's not going to do you much good to get other people to tell you what you're doing wrong. Here is what you should be doing:

Step 1: Watch videos of yourself versus your opponent. Tear that video apart and figure out why it is that you are losing. Look for details, such as:
  • How am I approaching?
  • How am I being punished for it?
  • How can I improve on this?
  • How are they approaching?
  • What are they doing that I can punish?
  • What tricks am I commonly falling for?

Of course, the list should be MUCH longer than this, but you should get the idea by now. The second step is to come up with answers to these questions. I shouldn't have to get in to specifics, lest I defeat the purpose of this, which is to get you to think for yourself. Even if you don't have any videos, you can do this simply by thinking and reacting during a match. It's not as easy, but in the long run it is actually more effective. However, I suggest you start off with videos just to get your learning abilities started. Once you build these skills up, you can apply them in tournaments to figure out your opponents.

Step 2:
Apply what you have learned in a match. Remember that you are playing friendlies, and do not need to worry about winning. Friendlies are for learning! Don't resort to something just because it makes you do better. That just demonstrates poor sportsmanship. Try things out, and practice them until you can find smart ways to make them work. By doing this, you will become a better player. Don't make that sound easy to you, however. There are not many shortcuts in this game, and you shouldn't use those that are there much anyway. The key is practice.

There are a number of other things that you can do, such as learning your opponent's character. Be creative, and just have fun. Enjoying yourself is NOT underrated. It is truly the key to becoming great at anything.

Let's have a look at another post:
Anonymous said:
STEAL CARS, EAT BABIES I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to beat Falcon with Fox, since I'm having a lot of trouble with it. I keep getting hit by knee combos and getting tech chased, but I don't know why. What do I do to prevent this from happening?
Back in video 2, Gimpyfish talks about adapting your playing style to suit your character, and shifting it around so that you can make what may otherwise have been your disadvantage, theirs instead. For example, look at a pro Falcon player (I have one in mind but I don't want to put names here). He knows that Fox's priority is far greater than his character's, and knows especially that Fox's Nair is a great tool for fighting Falcon. Because of this, he can expect Fox players to approach with Nair, and he has learned how to beat Fox's Nair with Falcon's, which really hurts Fox's approach. Not only that, but he has exceptional comboing and tech chasing abilities, meaning the Fox actually has to think of a way around this while dealing with the onslaught. In this way, he has made what was once his disadvantage become his advantage.

So, what does this mean? It means that you have to think about why you're getting hit by all these things that you don't think you should be. The simple truth, as I have said to many people, is that hard work is everything here. You are probably losing simply because your opponent is better at landing these hits than you are at avoiding them. In other words, they are likely a better player than you. While it's true that Fox-Falcon is a good matchup for Fox, you have to take the same approach to it that you should be taking while fighting low tiers, which is that a good matchup does not mean an auto-win. I've already explained how you can improve in this area.

Finally, let's look at the post about tech skill and mistakes:
Random Nubface said:
I'm having a lot of trouble improving my tech skill. I still make a lot of mistakes during matches. What sort of tricks do you guys use to make it easier?
There are no easy answers here, I'm afraid. It's just practice, practice, practice, and more practice. Sure, it's hard, but there are no shortcuts here. However, I can tell you what kind of practice you need to do:

1) Watch yourself, and figure out what techniques you are having problems with. For example, are you missing L cancels? Are you messing up your shield pressure with Falco? (in which case you can practice that against star-toting human opponents on your own, since it has the same lag as hitting a shield). Are your edgeguarding tactics difficult to execute for you? Whatever they may be, you need to isolate them and practice them over and over until they're perfect.

2) Watch videos of pros, and look out for what kinds of tricks/approaches they do that might be better than yours. They won't usually be easy to pull off, but if you practice them, not only will you be making technical progress, but you'll be putting to use some much better tricks.

Finally, I want to refer back to the list of problems I mentioned earlier:

Grmzo of the Amazingness said:
1) You can not improve solely using other people's answers.

2) You can not improve if you look for easy tricks to make you better.

3) You can not improve if you make excuses for why you are losing.
If you have been reading this, and have watched Gimpyfish's videos that I linked to, then you should know the answers to these three. Let's review.

1) Things can stick in your head if you memorize them, but the only way to gain a true understanding of something is to gain the knowledge through understanding in the first place. This mostly applies to things related intimately to your game, because, for instance, KirbyKaze's thread about Smash DIing Fox's Uair is something you can read and understand that way. I'm just talking about things specific to you.

2) There are no shortcuts. Work hard and you will meet your goals.

3) No one likes Johners anyway. I mean, we all john sometimes, but it's dumb and we should all stop. If you're losing, it's because you're being outplayed, unless it's like Mewtwo-Marth or something dumb like that but you should know where to draw the line with my statement.

In conclusion: Practice. Don't john, don't look for shortcuts, be independant, and most importantly, partake in your community! Go to the character specific boards and talk about stuff with people. Give your advice, get advice from others, and discuss things. This is a good way to learn about the game and become acquainted with other members of the community. In the end, it all boils down to how hard you're willing to work to become the best. If you can't overcome the obstacles I have listed, you will forever be a scrub.

Now you know the truth about not being a scrub. Remember, just because you know doesn't mean you're going to be good. This is just the beginning. Whether you choose to walk the path of the Amazingness is up to you.

JeffMan

Smash Apprentice
Excellent guide. Everyone should read this. I agree with pretty much everything Grmzo of the Amazingness said. A+++++++ will read again

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I remember when I used to tell people "not to suck" when people asked for advice. I don't think a single got what I really meant by that. It seems you conveyed what I think is necessary to get better at this game, but done so in a very well organized matter with some logic to back up some points. Good work sir.

The only problem I have with it is there is so many "guides" in this section that were made in the past and to see a new one is bleh. That is really no fault of your own and you brought up a good point that is usually said in guides IE you need experience, but go into further detail as to why and what mindset you need. Again, good work.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Grmo said:
Friendlies are for learning! Don't resort to something just because it makes you do better. That just demonstrates poor sportsmanship.
Poor sportsmanship? Isn't that just playing to win...?

Grmo

Smash Champion
Poor sportsmanship? Isn't that just playing to win...?
Why would you play only to win in friendlies, when you can use the time to experiment with new tactics or combos and not have to worry about failing them? As opposed to just using your best character and stressing about winning, I think my solution makes much more sense, especially because in the long run, it will be much more useful. Playing to win doesn't require that much practice, just the mindset.

I remember when I used to tell people "not to suck" when people asked for advice. I don't think a single got what I really meant by that. It seems you conveyed what I think is necessary to get better at this game, but done so in a very well organized matter with some logic to back up some points. Good work sir.

The only problem I have with it is there is so many "guides" in this section that were made in the past and to see a new one is bleh. That is really no fault of your own and you brought up a good point that is usually said in guides IE you need experience, but go into further detail as to why and what mindset you need. Again, good work.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to go over it and improve it. I know what you mean about the guides, but I thought this was something that needed to be covered that other guides hadn't done; basically drilling in to people that they need to practice a lot and practice the right way in order to get better.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Great guide. I definitely agree with not relying on other people's advice. I think 90% of being good at smash is coming up with your own way to play. When Melee first started out, who did the pros have to look up to? No one. They learned from one another and figured things out for themselves. That's why in friendlies I never play seriously (or I don't play to win, anyway). I just try to figure out what more I can do, what new tricks I can learn, and I just generally do really unexpected things for fun and see how they work out. And, sooner or later I come up with a good technique that I incorporate into my game later on. But the most important thing is, I have fun. I feel like a ton of people make smash into work and not something they enjoy. They seem to forget we're not playing to earn our next meal or whatever--we're just playing to have fun.

Oh, and random question: You know your username is Grmo, and not Grmzo, right...?

Grmo

Smash Champion
lol yeah, I know. I refer to myself as Grmzo a lot. RaynEX started calling me that a while back and it kind of caught, so now everyone calls me either Grmzo or Grmo lol. Anyway, thanks. It's good to hear that other people agree with this.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I like what you said about attitude. It really does matter. I recently played some people who were much better than me. They had the confidence that I lacked. I remember getting grabbed out of the illusion and thinking "Who do you think you are?" That's exactly it, they had the confidence to go for that move and it paid off. Great guide.

Grmo

Smash Champion
I like what you said about attitude. It really does matter. I recently played some people who were much better than me. They had the confidence that I lacked. I remember getting grabbed out of the illusion and thinking "Who do you think you are?" That's exactly it, they had the confidence to go for that move and it paid off. Great guide.
That's good. You got some insight in to this that I didn't even write about. I'm glad you liked it.
This was an incredibly well written and thought out post. I applaud you for this fine art. Great job, dude!
wow, thanks. That's very strong praise. Thanks for reading :)

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Grmzo said:
Why would you play only to win in friendlies, when you can use the time to experiment with new tactics or combos and not have to worry about failing them? As opposed to just using your best character and stressing about winning, I think my solution makes much more sense, especially because in the long run, it will be much more useful. Playing to win doesn't require that much practice, just the mindset.
I understand that, I'm just wondering why "resorting to doing something just because it makes you better" is "poor sportsmanship."

Maybe I'm just misreading you, or else making more of it than was intended ><

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
In short, there is no easy way out, and the players with this particular mindset of dependency are most likely going to fail in their attempts again and again. I strongly agree with the point you are addressing within this topic, as I too am a player who went through and is still patching up on the process of self-improvement. In Melee especially, this is no easy task, and while receiving advice from players who have already been where you are is nice, complete dependency on their words to improve is not a good idea.

All in all this is a good read; and I'm glad you brought it up.

Grmo

Smash Champion
I understand that, I'm just wondering why "resorting to doing something just because it makes you better" is "poor sportsmanship."

Maybe I'm just misreading you, or else making more of it than was intended ><
Oh no, I thought I said "resorting to doing something just because it makes you do better [in friendlies]". I'm sorry if I left that out lol. Anyway, the point here is just that say, if you normally play Marth, but are not very good at getting grabs, then for instance one may try playing Roy, since using him sort of forces you to learn how to grab. This is a good step, but if you just decide that you're losing too much and go back to Marth, then you're making a silly decision. That's all I meant.
In short, there is no easy way out, and the players with this particular mindset of dependency are most likely going to fail in their attempts again and again. I strongly agree with the point you are addressing within this topic, as I too am a player who went through and is still patching up on the process of self-improvement. In Melee especially, this is no easy task, and while receiving advice from players who have already been where you are is nice, complete dependency on their words to improve is not a good idea.

All in all this is a good read; and I'm glad you brought it up.
haha yeah, I guess that makes this whole article a little ironic :laugh:

mzink*

Smash Ace
Very good guide. Sometimes its hard to make people understand that practice practice practice above all else will help you improve. The more experience you give yourself the more knowledgeable and confident you will be with your skills.

Also good that you put in the tip of telling people to watch and analyze their own vids as if they were watching someone else play. Its easier to pick out errors and think of what you could've done better if you really just sit and watch yourself in each situation.

Thanks for posting the links to Gimpy's vids.

soap

Smash Hero
a big step for me was not being intimitaded by big names. Don't just accept it as a given that you will lose.

Dont let their reputation scare you and take it to em'.

Conversely, if you make a name for yourself dont let that get to your head when you play randoms cuz you will lose sets by being sloppy.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
There is an easy way out... play Brawl.
But really, don't ever worry about who you're facing. F-smash still hits them for the same %

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Oh no, I thought I said "resorting to doing something just because it makes you do better [in friendlies]". I'm sorry if I left that out lol. Anyway, the point here is just that say, if you normally play Marth, but are not very good at getting grabs, then for instance one may try playing Roy, since using him sort of forces you to learn how to grab. This is a good step, but if you just decide that you're losing too much and go back to Marth, then you're making a silly decision. That's all I meant.
Ah, I see. *nod* :)

haha yeah, I guess that makes this whole article a little ironic :laugh:
Nietzsche wrote entire books on why people should follow his advice, which was to not follow the advice of others. ^_^

Grmo

Smash Champion
Knowing Nietzsche, he probably did that just to screw with people and make them think. I should read those books lol. I don't entirely agree with everything he writes about, but they're always interesting. I remember one time, some guy had his final philosophy exam in university, and it was on Nietzsche, so he wrote "I know this stuff. You know I know this stuff. I'm going out with the laughing lions." and he got an A- on it. Marks were taken off for lack of material rofl.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Have to agree with soap. The ego isn't part of the game and bruce lee said something about how the outcome of a battle is natural, and if you consider whether you will win or not you have already lost.

Going into the match with a clear focused mind is probably the best help, I believe that's what separates people who may be of the same skill from winning and losing.

Grmo

Smash Champion
grmo is my guitar bro?

suuuuuup. i look forward to reading this when i have time.
lol guitar bro ftw. :chuckle:
Have to agree with soap. The ego isn't part of the game and bruce lee said something about how the outcome of a battle is natural, and if you consider whether you will win or not you have already lost.

Going into the match with a clear focused mind is probably the best help, I believe that's what separates people who may be of the same skill from winning and losing.
I agree. That's actually a problem I have in tournaments. I tend to think about winning or losing in pools matches, and on top of that I play them as if they're friendlies. I am, however, able to shut that down in brackets and play well.

0Room

Smash Lord
I agree with this.

However, advice could definitely become a basis upon which someone can form a strategy.
Mostly I only ask about DI, like how to DI out of Marth's f-throw combo.

I don't ask anything else usually, but sometimes asking about these things can help someone form their own strategy.
However I do agree with you that sometimes people ask a bit TOO much, leading to playing, as Scar put it, as a "inferior version of [Cactuar]".
Meaning they learn to play as the person who told them how to play this way, leading to a lack of individuality and a severe case of predictability (I sound like a doctor!)

Anyway, I agree with this post. Good one.
:]

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Great thread Grmo.This needs to be stickied because its so true.Advice goes hand in hand with understanding how to self improve.

Grmo

Smash Champion
lol, thanks for all the positive feedback. It's nice to see people enjoying it. I don't necessarily think it needs to be stickied, or else every guide would be sticked, but maybe a link to it in the official everything thread? =D

Top Bottom