• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Complete Mario Matchup Thread

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
As opposed to the completely straight way Meta Knight plays? :bee:

I used to dthrow > spotdodge > jab cancel dsmash until I realized people in my area figured out I started doing that. It doesn't work any more, but at least they expect it and don't dair to fend me off.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I wouldn't be suprised, I've had Mario's up tilt clank with G&W's down smash. For planking just do it the same way he does, keep jumping back to the edge and up b the same way MK would try to Shuttle Loop. Jump from the edge and shoot a fireball, regrab. You can also wall kick the edge and bair too.

For the normal matchup, your down smash is as fast as his and your jab is faster, so repeated jabs would probably be the best option to deal with his ROB shenanigans. When he's offstage fire ball spam him. When you're recovering, fireball spam him too!

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I wouldn't be suprised, I've had Mario's up tilt clank with G&W's down smash. For planking just do it the same way he does, keep jumping back to the edge and up b the same way MK would try to Shuttle Loop. Jump from the edge and shoot a fireball, regrab. You can also wall kick the edge and bair too.

For the normal matchup, your down smash is as fast as his and your jab is faster, so repeated jabs would probably be the best option to deal with his ROB shenanigans. When he's offstage fire ball spam him. When you're recovering, fireball spam him too!
Agreed. Not too much fireball spam though, Shuttleloop's fast enough to punish the lag if he manages to get around it while you're recovering.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Alright, I'll go let em' know.
Hopefully, they take us seriously.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Hmm...we should get the Meta mains in here and see what they have to say.
Oh...here we go.

"Mario can't recovery vs MK, don't try it. Just fall."

"Our Shuttleloop beats your everything and upB OOS doesn't work on tornado"

"Fludd can't gimp MK, it's only water..."

Let the bigotry commence...:dizzy:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Hmm. Kind of feels like we're Ness and they're us.

I still cannot get over that thread. :laugh:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Well, they must be pretty confident. And being Meta Knight mains, I'm sure they'd never consider Mario a real threat.

Ah well, I told them the matchup was 20-80, Mario's favor. And I wouldn't count on them taking the bait and helping us out.

Famous

Smash Champion
For those of you that was looking forward to playing me...I'm sorry. I can't come to BTYF for fuked up reasons...Our ride bailed on us

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Well that sucks, you can't get another ride?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Of course not. If they ever did show up to a matchup discussion, it'd probably just be like this:

"Well, we appreciate you guys trying, but you just can't win. All we'll be doing is telling you how you lose to us."

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Do we even need a Meta Knight? Can't we just have a King K. Rool instead?

Edit: I checked the pudding, Famous. I can confirm that the proof was in there.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Sure thing. Do you guys wanna move down from Meta Knight, or just pick and choose how we'd like?

Veggi

Smash Champion
For most characters I would say "pick the matchup", but Mario ***** just about every low tier. I think we should do it in order, plus I want ROB and Falco to be discussed earlyish because I thought those matchups were sort of sketchy.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Alright, Snake discussion starts now.
GOGOGO!

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
get him in the air. nao. its the most effective way to quickly rack up damage on him. if u can manage to get an up tilt on him, or some kind of attack that gets him somewhat in the air for mario to combo him, ur set. also snake has an obvious recovery... sorta. just like get him offstage and throw in a bunch of b airs or w/e, f air if u can manage? also C4 for snake's recovery is easily countered by FLUDD

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Nah, if you get the chance, grab him out of the cypher every time. If you get him offstage, he'll probably recover as high as possible, toss a few grenades while he's too far up for you to reach, and bair or uair on the way down.

You can fireball camp, but it won't be very effective. Just space some bairs, nairs, and use smashes sparringly, since he'll be ftilting his way to an easy win.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Get Snake in the air and spam fireballs.

That is how you win this match-up. He gets destroyed in the air and 'nades are easy dodged/shielded (though they can prove annoying). Fireballs keep him at a distance so he can't abuse his close range (if you see him start to dash, get ready for a mortar slide -- cape it!) capabilities.

Of course, watch out for the Ftilt, C4, and all that stuff. But, this applies to everybody who fights Snake.

I'd say they either go even or Mario even has a slight advantage...

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Correct me if I'm wrong, but fireballs make grenades explode on contact, like all attacks, right? If they chuck a 'nade if your face, which is bound to happen, it'll only hurt yourself.

I think the Snake boards would disagree.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Utilt when you get in close. It's VERY easy to get off two Utilts into a Dsmash or grab. Punish shielded or dodge Ftilts with the standard jab combo, don't try and get fancy just get the easy %'s and and keep your smashes fresh. Camp him hard with fireballs, it's pretty effective against Snake. Snake is ruined in the air, especially with Mario's air game. SHDair>Second Jump>Uair>Uair/Nair is a great combo that deals a good % on Snake (You can end the combo with a Dsmash after the first Uair or Nair if you're doing this from 0%.) He's easily Fair'ed out of his recovery and while this probably won't KO him it's great offstage pressure and the %'s add up pretty quickly between multiple Fair's and other aerial punishment.

This match-up isn't so difficult. I'm going for 50:50.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
That's a very smart way to play Kirin, that was the perfect summary for the matchup.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Double post, my fault.

Oh, I forgot to mention you can cape his Usmash and have the grenade hit him. You don't have to even touch the actual explosive with your cape for this to work (Try and hit the smoke around the explosive.) and Snake players really have no idea you can do this to them. I've surprised a lot of Snake players and even KO'd some with this.

Cape the motarslide, stop it with a fireball, shield grab it. His standard dash attack is very easy to shield grab as well.

bobson

Smash Lord
If you cape Snake after he lets go of his cypher, he won't get it back. A lot of people don't know this and will try to up-B again offstage and end up hitting the bottom before they can react and C4 themselves.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I can't see that specifc scenario happening very often, but it's still useful information.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Why would you start on Smashville to begin with? That's one of Snake's best stages. For Neutrals, I'd rather take a Snake on Yoshi's.

Matt07

Smash Master
You'd be suprised at how many Snake's still don't know they get their cypher back after they up B. A few Snake's I played just fell to their death after I caped them. But still, don't rely on using Cape offstage lol.

Famous

Smash Champion
Just got a replay caping a snake on teams without them knowing they get there cypher back...The funniest thing is that I made the snake kill his partner...I'll upload later along with some luigi vids...

I counterpick snake with FD...This matchup is hard to say the least

Top Bottom