• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spec. Ed. Brawler

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
My school has a gaming club in which people get together after school hours and game (board games, video games, etc.) and we hook up smash pretty much every time. There's a particular member who, very apparently, is part of the special education program at the same school and he has been known to join us from time to time in Brawl.

*segue*

So I'm at a local PlayNTrade tourney and soon find that the Spec.Ed. kid has entered as well. I think to myself, Good for him, I hope his opponent doesn't make it too one-sided. By the second round I looked at the bracket to see that the kid had advanced. My first thought was, Who lost to him? and even more greatly to my surprise, I saw that I would be facing him next. I get to play him, wish him luck, and find that he had gotten much better since I last saw him. Problem was that once he could get the stock even, he would just avoid w/ his sonic for the remainder of the match. I eventually killed him and second fight (best 2 of 3), I 3-stocked him.

1. Am I discourtious for not letting him take maybe a round or do you think it was worth solidifying the win?

2. Am I right to think that a spec. ed. smasher is a very rare thing, or is it not so unheard of?

NOTE: This is not inteded at all to bash kids with special needs, I have the utmost respect for the one I played.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
People with disabilities, may those be physical or mental, normally don't want to be treated differently. Quite the opposite.

I would be pretty pissed if you would let me win or something just because I'm not going the usual way of life.

thanortinzak

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you shouldn't go easy on him. It's incredibly insulting to go easy on someone. Plus, you should ALWAYS play to win, regardless of circumstances.

I know this sounds really offensive (so please don't take this the wrong way), but I'm quite surprised that a mentally challenged kid could beat someone in a tourney (honestly, I would be very surprised if a special ed kid could even pick up a controller and start playing Brawl). So yeah, you're right to think special ed smashers are a rare thing. Just don't discrimate against them.

I wish that kid good luck in his Smash career. It must take a lot of courage for a special kid to go to a tourney.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
....or the other person went easy on him. Possible, no?
I don't think anyone would have kept going easy after losing the first fight (it was best 2 of 3), the kid was just plain better. Big local tourneys tend to draw relatively skill-less nubs after all

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
1. No, doing anything worst than your best for any reason is like slapping your opponent in the face.

And echo Spadefox.

2. This is the first time I've ever heard of one, personally, so...

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Was that the Foothills Mall Play N Trade tournament? I was there.

Anyways, you're not obligated to let him win or anything. It wouldn't be insulting if he actually did not know you were letting him win and winning meant a lot to him.

My second round, I had to play a girl that was about six. I chose random, got Link, but ended up accidentally 3-stocking her by KO'ing her with a bomb (didn't know they KO, too used to melee). Her dad and mom were there supporting her though. The dad was trying to help her strategize and the mom was standing by with a camcorder, so I let her win the second match. She was a little kid that just spammed B moves, so all I could really do was jab her. Even a six year old would be insulted if you just ran off. Anyways, I guess the whole "letting someone win" deal is pretty situational.

I personally think it's okay to let someone win games, but not knock you out of a tournament. If someone calls you an *** for winning against their child, their child is the type that's going to be made fun of in high school for believing in Santa still.

Basically, if you let him win it's just a nice gesture. Not letting him win is not unethical, so you have nothing to worry about. You'd be a douche if you were trashtalking a sped though.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Was that the Foothills Mall Play N Trade tournament? I was there.

Anyways, you're not obligated to let him win or anything. It wouldn't be insulting if he actually did not know you were letting him win and winning meant a lot to him.

My second round, I had to play a girl that was about six. I chose random, got Link, but ended up accidentally 3-stocking her by KO'ing her with a bomb (didn't know they KO, too used to melee). Her dad and mom were there supporting her though. The dad was trying to help her strategize and the mom was standing by with a camcorder, so I let her win the second match. She was a little kid that just spammed B moves, so all I could really do was jab her. Even a six year old would be insulted if you just ran off. Anyways, I guess the whole "letting someone win" deal is pretty situational.

I personally think it's okay to let someone win games, but not knock you out of a tournament. If someone calls you an *** for winning against their child, their child is the type that's going to be made fun of in high school for believing in Santa still.

Basically, if you let him win it's just a nice gesture. Not letting him win is not unethical, so you have nothing to worry about. You'd be a douche if you were trashtalking a sped though.
Really amazing post u got ther. /thread

Levitas

the moon
If I have a kid ever, I'm gonna get him/her really really good so that they can intentionally lose game 1, win by courtesy game 2 against people like jetfour, and then 3 stock them game 3 for the epic mindgames (and moderate hustling)

Top Bottom