• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beware of the worm: Conficker. A safety concern

POKE40

Smash Lord
Beware that some worm called the Conficker is set to be "released" tomorrow that is said to be capable of causing genuine harm

Question: Hahaha, Conficker is being released on April Fool's day!

Anwser: This is not a joke. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/01/technology/internet/01virus.html?hp

Some facts known about this worm:
  • already spread to 12 million computers
  • "have said it was set to try to download commands from a server at an unknown Internet location on Wednesday" (directly from nytimes)
  • Earlier this year Microsoft offered a $250,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of Conficker’s author or authors. (directly from nytimes)
What is your thoughts in this worm?
Biggest hoax scam or something to worry about?
I have a question though... I'm not knowledgable about worms and viruses...so I ask would my Virus Protection protect me from worms?

This is just a safety concern for all of you.
If this is a hoax or if any new news appear up. I will update this.
Of course if this is a hoax, I'll ask a mod to simply lock this.

its true... ):

"Conficker is only a threat if your computer does not have the latest security patches from Microsoft and an up-to-date antivirus program"

-http://www.pcworld.com/article/162477/conficker_worm_not_finished_yet.html

Gnes

Smash Master
Its no longer a hoast...a woman in texas was just shown on the news...her laptop got the worm...all functions ceased...if u dont have virus protection...GET IT NOW

Frames

DI
yea right screw that old *** thing its spread through some rpc exploit that's like a year old as long as u got the lastest updates ur fine

noradseven

Smash Lord
This is old news but yeah, if you already have the virus it blocks off download access to windows updates and other virus protection software, normally you can get away with torrenting the software or grabbing it from a friend. Don't be confused by the people above, the virus payload has yet to be launched, April 1st was stage D where it basically sets up a huge P2P network, to probably deliver a payload within the next few days.

*quick way to check if you have the virus, can you update windows/are you on the latest version, if either of these are true you do not have the virus. It doesn't work on the latest updates.

Hopefully this is just a joke virus, and it just gets Microsoft to fix more of its security flaws, this virus abuses a large number of them.

Smw66466

Smash Cadet
I saw this on the news last night. I don't really understand what the virus does. Can someone please explain it to me?

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
It basicly infects your computer then begins to create spam/eat up RAM/screw your computer.
It also makes copies of itself to transfer to other computers and devices.

The hacker who made it can send it commands like to steal your passwords or bank information.
Of course if you have secure encrypted data then your fine.
Good anti virus is a must!

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Well, I'm not sure whether I have it or not.

I have avg, and it updates fine. However, my norton got screwed a while back, and my comp won't let me turn on automatic updates. Only reason I hate that is the fact that it keeps pooping up that its wrong.

anyone know any good, free antivirus other than avg?

Frames

DI
u guys are fine run these commands

Sc.exe query wuauserv
Sc.exe query bits
Sc.exe query windefend
Sc.exe query ersvc

if it doesn't say STATE: 4 RUNNING, then ur screwed lmaoooooooo

Pengie

Smash Lord
I have the Automatic Updates are turned on and I can see the security vendor's sites. This means that I shouldn't be have the worm, right?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
frames, the black little command prompt window won't stay open when I do that.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Frames, those commands, is that for most viruses or just this one?

State 4 Running yaaaaaay

EDIT: Wait...last one failed.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I saw the same article on Slashdot, KiKi. It's a neat idea. At first I thought it was a joke, then i was like "oh, yea. If it's blocking those sites, you could tell if you're infected by that."

I'd recommend everyone go there.

Top Bottom