• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon Moveset Discussion: summaries coming soon

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
One of the best ways to setup for the knee. Has alot of range more than Filt. I believe it has more than utilt aswell. Well thats what it seems since I don't use Utilt as much anymore.
Falcon Zair would break the game for combos and ****

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
I use d-tilt to lead into an u-tilt. Doesn't work all the time though (when they DI properly), sometimes I jab afterwards.
Otherwise, it's too laggy for me to make it work properly, maybe lead into f-tilt lock?

LuLLo

Smash Ace
I never ever ever use this move, I don't know why, when I want to cover the range I rather use f-tilt (which I use rarely) and most time u-tilt, but I should use it more to mix up my game.
I can't really contribute to this move, since I never use it and therefore have no knowledge about it really.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Zair is a good move, but you absolutely must use it carefully to take advantage. Falcon pulls out his gun and shoots the opponent. It's OHKO, but it only works at short range, and it only works once (he only loads one bullet). Further, it reduces the power of all subsequent Falcon Punches, because the use of a gun is decidedly unmanly. Unless your tail is grey and your name rhymes with gulf.

Wait for an opportunity to take the game, then strike.

On dtilt...
I use this move-

Oh by the way I use Falcon sometimes, and not just for lulz. Not to say that I'm not getting lulz out of every moment I control him. But I use the guy, and I have nurtured a fairly decent one... as Falcons go.

-So yes... I wield the Falcon, and though I use dtilt like a compulsion sometimes (pulling out the whole moveset.... *sigh*), I really don't see how this is ever better than ftilt.

The one cool thing you can do with it is hit people backwards if their hurtbox is inside you.

But the move is stupid weak, stupid laggy, and has no shield pressure. I don't know where the opponent's brain could be such that dtilt could chain into utilt. Their hitstun will always end years before that.

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
no.......................
Why not D=
Please explain. Sure my use of u-tilt after d-tilt is unfounded but other moves like jab or f-tilt or maybe even grab should obviously work much better.

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
dtilt's a slow move with less reward than utilt when hit
it doens't really set up anything when playing against a good player
and it's easy punishable when miss
well, it's already hard enough to land a dtilt on a good player.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Its hard to land every move while playing as falcon. Hence, bottom of bottom.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I sometimes take a crouch stance with Falcon. I mean, it makes sense because you have to play the guy defensively, and it actually really puts you in a pretty good position for a variety of moves. This includes the dtilt which, yes it is slow, has good range and at low percents can provide a decent setup for a follow up attack.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Well I've tried to implement the d-tilt into my game the last few days and fought pretty good Brawlers, and I'll say this: It's decent, it can set-up for aerials and other stuff, it's quick (meaning quicker than u-tilt), lag is decent and I find it more rewarding than a f-tilt. Space it well, and it can be an decent move to throw in a couple of times.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I sometimes take a crouch stance with Falcon. I mean, it makes sense because you have to play the guy defensively, and it actually really puts you in a pretty good position for a variety of moves. This includes the dtilt which, yes it is slow, has good range and at low percents can provide a decent setup for a follow up attack.
I do that occasionally out of habit from Diddy, and I don't think dtilt is a terrible move, but that's really the only time I use it, trying to chain it into another tilt or shield poke. I have been using ftilt a lot more, mostly without angling it, and it is more reliable for me, but you can't follow it up with anything.

Zeallyx

Getting the opponent in the air is always a good thing.

As we are, once again, talking about the highest level of play, we cannot expect to follow up with an aerial.
But, you guys always seem to forget that the falcon player is also considered to be performing as if he has the skill of a player who plays with the highest level of play, so we can Dtilt>bait airdodge/reaction>punish.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Without skimming over the last few pages of posts I'm going to add that Dtilt serves as a decent semi-juggle move.

Toknee, you are correct. Anything>bait airdodge/reaction>punish is how Falcon players should attempt most actions.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Is there going to be settlement on the dtilt being a relatively good move to get the opponent in the air? That and the fact that it has a deceptively long range...

I think it's a pretty useful move, but it is very, very slow for being a tilt.

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
Utilt doesnt set up for anything. Its not hard to land it on a good player at all, its easier than U-tilt I find. Its not that easy to punish at all. Its as hard as F-tilt and harder that U-tilt.

this is a great move I find, and this is my favorite tilt because of its range. Follow ups are mucho easy, dash grabs especially. This is great for getting people who DI away out of jab cancels, an at lower percents more jab cancels after will eat air dodges.

This has GREAT range. I learned to space it well, and now my defensive game has got a lot better, plus it > DK. It pokes his crappy shield and clashes with most all tilts, and will nail his arms if your patient.

But thats just me.

show your moves.

Is there going to be settlement on the dtilt being a relatively good move to get the opponent in the air? That and the fact that it has a deceptively long range...

I think it's a pretty useful move, but it is very, very slow for being a tilt.
Nah, its fater than his U-tilt and is only two slower than F-tilt, plus it finishes before both of them.

Seriously this move is underrated, its his best spacing move IMO.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Nah, its fater than his U-tilt and is only two slower than F-tilt, plus it finishes before both of them.

Seriously this move is underrated, its his best spacing move IMO.
The utilt is slow to finish, but it does hit up in the air, as well as on the ground. That leg does kick up pretty fast.

Zeallyx

Hmm... well it sure does feel fast. And in the end that is what counts, isn't it? How it makes us feel.
No. Not really.
We can 'feel' confident while using this move, and get Dsmashed by MK/wolf before it even connects.

Zeallyx

Heh. Yeah. I was just kidding. Why would anyone use utilt in the range of MK or Wolf's down smash? That's silly. utilt and dtilt are spacing moves.
I hope you get the point.

Let me rephrase it:

Utilt may feel safer than it is. Although a good move (for falcon..) alot of moves other characters posses are faster, and can punish it easily.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Next move is usmash. It's often hyphen smashed to punish, and Falcon's DACUS skids less far, and is very useful when you want to punish with a smash, but are out of range for fsmash and too close for a hyphen smash. Discuss :)

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
The Final Countdown is now playing in your head.
Glorious U-Smash... you can hyphen U-Smash extremely easy, it slides far, perfect for racking up damage, and it just looks cool. Except one little problem... connecting. The chances of connecting U-Smash are rather slim. And as far as killing power goes, you're MUCH better off killing with U-Tilt. All in all, 6/10. Don't try to attempt this move too much during tourneys, unless you're absolutely sure you have a great setup to do it.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Usmash does kill at a lower percent then utilt, but connecting is hard to do. I usuallt always slide around with this move, attempting to connect with it, but has any one actually just tried walking and Usmashing?

_Tiamat_

Smash Apprentice
Good punishing move since you can slide with it, I usualy use it for damage rather than killing... still happen sometime but it's not a move I'd save for killing. it also have some surprising range in front kinda like Snake's uptilt, making it even easier to punish a whiffed move.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
You can forget about walking and upsmashing, when you hyphen it you get at least the slide and you're harder to punish, when walking, you have to put up with the start-up lag AND ending-lag, whilst hyphening it gives at least some sort of safety.
I don't use this while standing still or walking, not even beneath platforms, that's what's u-tilt is for.
You should basically use u-smash when an opponent stands on a platform doing nothing (which is less likely) or when you d-trow them on the platform and they bounce/don't jump. That way it's pretty safe, because even if your opponent techs the platform, he'll get hit by it anyway, and if he shields he could get pushed off of the platform, which sets up for more stuff.
You can also predict a techroll or rolling out of shield and punish them with this move, but that's also situational.
Basically, use it to punish, don't use as an approach, don't use out of walking/standing, just punish.
You can also reverse-hyphen u-smash behind your opponent when they're shielding, chances are they have dropped their shields by then an go for a grab or jab out of shield and you'll hit them (but this not a viable tactic and TOTALLY situational, although it's nice to pull off)

U-air: punishing move: tech-chasing and platform chasing, nice damage. 5/10

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Ratings are fine I guess, but you guys don't really need to put them. I guess situations where the move would be useful are best, or ways you have been able to use it effectively in matches. For example, I sometimes follow up a down throw with a hyphen smash, then I used a DACUS and it threw off my opponent and got a KO, because they expected me to slide past them and be vulnerable, like what had previously happened.

Johnny Pteran

Smash Journeyman
^

It has plenty of uses, but the best one is obviously Boost Smash. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I actually was standing still and did a regular upsmash. It's pretty useless without it being Boosted.

Anyways, yeah. It does some massive damage, and it's sometimes an approach, and it's even a punishing move sometimes. It's probably not the best move in Falcon's arsenal, but I still find plenty of uses for it. But clearly it's a lot more useful when it's a Boost Smash.

Player-3

Smash Hero
i hate usmash with a passion.

1/10

and before you say
"Oh it does alot of damage and can kill!"

so can ikes forward smash

thsi move is so hard to hit with i dont even bother

and using it against half the cast gets you hit in the nads

Tenki

Smash Hero
by boost smash/boost grabs, you mean the dash attack cancel, right?

Because I was pretty sure Falcon got a pitiful - heck, worse slide from his DAC, and his running U-smash gave a better slide.

Top Bottom