• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official "how to get around camp with DK" Thread

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
You can also call it the "how to zone effectively" thread because it's the exact same thing.

DK has three places where he likes to keep his opponents

1. air to air with dk's back facing the other character (<3 bair)
2. directly above him (utilt, uair and usmash all have good range and are decent threats)
3. a short patch of ground that is out of range of their moves while in range of downb and possibly ftilt/dtilt/upb/grab (character specific)

since most camping characters want to avoid the first two at all costs, they're probably going to stick to the ground, so we'll work with the 3rd one for the most part (though wario will not be camping you on the ground, he'll be covered separately)

so, you want to get them into downb range on the ground, without taking too much damage, this is done through a combination of walking and shielding. It's a technique I call "walk up and don't get hit". most of the time jumping in with bairs will get you *****, but we'll get to that later.

so, now you're in downb range, hopefully you didn't take too much damage, now what? that's where it starts to get character specific. Your spacing game is your best approach, stick with it, it works really well.

I'll start with olimar since I here a lot of olimar johns, when I really don't have problems with the matchup.

For all of characters rolls are punished with utilt/dsmash/grab/downb, shield is punished with downb/grab/dtilt/upb and spotdodge is punished with dtilt/downb/upb

Olimar

You want to keep him just outside of his grab range

What he can do: throw pikmin, grab, try for a smash, jump in fair, run away

NOTE: purple pikmin throw can mess with your spacing, be careful when a purple is next, and try to kill the purples if possible (don't get hit killing pikmin though). basically purples are *******s.

Grabs and pikmin throws will be most common, if you are spacing well he will be out of grab range and likely throwing pikmin.

What you can do: downb, running upb, grab, tilts

Downb should be used occasionally as a threat, upb should be used a lot

downb will beat both grab and smashes but loses to pikmin throw (kinda) and fairs, running upb will beat throwing pikmin, fairs and smashes but loses to grabs, grab (shield grab and pivot grab) will beat jump in fair (shieldgrab) and pikmin throw (pivot grab), but loses to smashes, tilts are all situational and dependent on the tilt

so how do you know what to do? simple, let him make the first move.

If he jumps, immediately either run in and upb, or if he is close ftilt/shieldgrab (doesn't matter)

If he stays on the ground and throws pikmin, run up to him, he will either run away or stand still, if he runs away, he's going for a pivot grab, downb him. if he stands still he doesn't know the matchup, just upb him or pivot grab

if he runs towards you he is going for a grab, either dtilt or downb depending on how much time you have. dtilt is probably the best choice (though he might be tricky and run - shield/roll or something) just remind him you have the downb in your pocket from time to time. if you dtilt him go for a grab or downb afterwards

if he stands still and does nothing, downb him

now, I know skank is going to read this and say "why wouldn't olimar just run away and go back to camping?" he can do that maybe once or twice, but then he runs out of stage room and winds up in a worse position. (exact same position but with his back to the edge)

now, why wouldn't he jump over you? simple, he doesn't like being above you, just stay right under him and either shieldgrab or utilt him, maybe jumping bairs if you want. Oli likes being on the ground, so he won't try jumping over you.

so what do you do when you connect?

upb - if he DI's up he's above you, mission accomplished, if he DI's away follow it up with a grab or downb when he lands

downb - he's above you, gj

grab - throw him off the edge, if you are stuck in the middle of fd a bthrow will work

dtilt - follow up with a grab/second dtilt/downb

ftilt - resets the position, but you might have enough time for a grab at low %

object of the game is to force him aerial or off the ledge and play your game from there.

Lucas

You want to keep him at max ftilt range

Why lucas? because it isn't hard to beat his camp game and I can finish the write up pretty easily

What he can do: jump in nair, pk fire, pivot grab, smash

nair and pk fire will be the most common tactics

What you can do: shield, ftilt, downb, grab

you'll use a lot of shield and ftilt

again, get into range, threaten a downb and react

if he jumps at all, ftilt him out of the air

if he stays on the ground and pk fires, shield and punish accordingly (grabs will probably be best)

if he runs away he either resets it but with him closer to the ledge, or he's going for a pivot grab/pk fire, follow just out of range of the pivot grab and you should be fine.

he may go for shield grabs, but downb/grab both work for that

he'll occasionally mix in a smash, but you should be fine if you stick to your range.

what do you do when you connect?

ftilt - keep zoning him, maybe grab if he DIs in oris at a low %

grab - grab release his ***, grab release dsmash or throw him off the stage if the regrab is banned

downb - chase him, punish him with grabs and smashes

rest is up to you.

Falco

Falco is a bit of a pain because the downb doesn't really work well due to his sideb, and he doesn't mind being above you as much as other characters. so, you have to zone him from a different location, and punish him differently unless he is on battlefield/lylat where the platforms help you out.

The zone where you want to keep falco is pretty weird, and my term for it wouldn't make sense to you, so I'll borrow hugs's term. you want to keep him just out of range of a dash attack.

also, his reactions will change depending on your %

What he can do

At any %: laser, sideb, nair/dair

At low %: grab

At mid %: running attack into usmash

At high %: Boost usmash

Likely to grab at low %, laser and sideb whenever he feels like it

What you can do: shield grab, upb, dtilt, utilt

At low %: downb

if you shield an up smash: shieldgrab/dsmash

you want to grab, a lot.

Ok, now your in the proper zone, what do you do?

if he lasers (shdl) - Run in as soon as he jumps and shield, when he lands, grab him, you can also upb him at lower% for more damage

if he sidebs - roll backwards to dodge the sideb, grab/upb

if he goes for a grab - downb

if he goes for an aerial - shield grab or utilt

if he runs at you - dtilt, shield/upb if you know it's a dash attack/usmash

ok, now you now what?

if you grab him

At low %: dthrow into upb

Past low %: throw him off stage

If you upb him

pre 60%: read his DI, if he went up shield grab his landing, if he didn't just grab him anyway thanks to his weird falling animation

Past 60%: don't upb him past 60, it just resets the stage and you could have grabbed him instead

if you dtilt (only for grab attempts at low %) link it to a grab or downb

if you downb (olny for grab attempts/rolls/spotdodges): tech chase if he lands on a platform, otherwise try to shield grab the landing

if you utilt either utilt again or pivot grab him.

grabs are important because it gets him off stage, grab a lot.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I'm kind of thinking about writing a guide on DK's offstage game. I'll probably start on it once I have some free time.

Edit: Ninja'd.

I enjoy the olimar matchup as well.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Spacing fsmashes against people on the ledge is one of my absolute favorite things to do with DK. I love hitting people out of their ledge animations at 50% with a charged f smash for kills.

Edit: DK's down b also fits perfectly into Olimar's pressure zone. He doesn't know if he should keep trying to camp or start trying to grab. Personally I think Olimar's uair is his most annoying move. I don't really have trouble with his ground or camp game.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
yeah, offensive olimars are harder

also 4 different people have told me that the ledge fsmashes scare the crap out of them because they can't do anything to get around it, in the span of 1 day.

pretty sure ledge fsmash is by and far the most useful fsmash

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
haha definitely. I hear "I don't get invincibility?" a lot. I trolled one kid into believing DK's Fsmash ignores invincibility for a while.:chuckle:

ook

Smash Lord
Holy crap nice 2 AM post (midnight for you... but still).

The best topics always happen when people are half asleep.

this is great

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Rob next please. Good job on the falco. Sometimes you can punish his side b with a bair if he hits you.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
For Falco if he is only in position to hit me with one laser before I reach him I just use SA up B. That's what, 3% damage for me and 30% for him? SA is broken.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
luigi fireball spam is broken

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
FIYABALLS

Characters I can do now due to matchup experience

Ness
Wario
Snake
Toon Link
Peach

Bowser
Marth
The bottom two can't really camp you though

Characters that I will need to play a few times before writing something up
R.O.B.
Pit
Link
Luigi
Diddy
Pikachu
Lucario
Samus
Mario
Zelda
Sheik
Wolf
Fox
Kirby
DDD

nobody else can really camp you

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
FIYABALLS

Characters I can do now due to matchup experience

Ness
Wario
Snake
Toon Link
Peach

Bowser
Marth
The bottom two can't really camp you though

Characters that I will need to play a few times before writing something up
R.O.B.
Pit
Link
Luigi
Diddy
Pikachu
Lucario
Samus
Mario
Zelda
Sheik
Wolf
Fox
Kirby
DDD

nobody else can really camp you
I could probably take pikachu and link for you since I play anther and legan somewhat often.

kirby camps? lolwut?

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
I really don't know how to deal with Wario's camping. He can make himself impossible to hit.

As for Luigi fireball camping? Are you serious? Ftilt that mutha****a. F tilt all day. F tilt every fireball as you walk towards him, then F tilt him. You F tilt faster than he throws fire. The best part about this is if he tries to nado you when you get too close, you will F tilt that too and it will clank, and most Luigis will not expect this, so if you react quickly you can grab him, F tilt him, D tilt, or up B or whatever, your choice. F smash usually doesn't work though. Seriously, F tilt him to hell. What's he going to do? He can't close a gap. Space your F tilt and he can't do anything but shield it(and not be able to punish), or roll. Your only weakness when you do this is if you ftilt and don't clank with something. If you ftilt into the air, he can punish you with nado. Just make sure you'll hit a fireball or him, and F tilt will destroy him. Mario is similar but a bit harder.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Kirby back air camp game is horrible....

BUT!

I did 3 stock MogX, Bigfoot, I guess i learned what i had to do right there and then.

Also for the spaced forward smash that hits the opponent on the ledge. I used to do this alot but stopped, whats the spacing for this again? Or does it not matter as long as a part of his hands hit the edge?

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I remember playing MogX at the UCLA tourney. The weirdest thing though was how he kept shield grabbing my Ftilts. It made me think Kirby had better grab range than DK lol. You guys have any ideas how to practice SDI'ing shieldgrabs for extra range?

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Idk it was weird. I tried replicating it in training mode and couldn't get kirby to shieldgrab DK out of Ftilts but it only worked pretty close. He seemed to do it from like 1.5x the normal distance.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Its MogX, hes amazing, Nuff sAID.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Kirby can do it if he powershield's the f-tilt due to shieldstun being a non-issue. Bigfoot got it right.

@Bigfoot: Awesome guide, thanks for putting the effort into it. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Top Bottom