• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon Moveset Discussion: summaries coming soon

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
To be on tooopic.

I <3 it as a kill move. People don't expect it when you don't really use it all match. :)

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
who told you that?
wait
so your playing falcon to win!?
WUUUUUUT
I know you are trying to be funny and probably succeed at doing that when you ask the people here, but this board, even though I agree its far fetched, is for the discussion of playing falcon competitively.
I know you are trolling, and dont get me wrong, I dont really care, but some might not know you are trolling.
But anywho, sup?

It's spelt shouldn't :p

And what the hell p3... I expected you of all people to come up with another Sonic related quote :mad:
Mine wasnt as much as a mistake then it was a lazy way of typing. You made an actual mistake by using one of the 'forms' of you're/your in thw wrong context.

Step it up.

To be on tooopic.

I <3 it as a kill move. People don't expect it when you don't really use it all match. :)
Its unreliable.
Go for a more reliable/safe way of KOing.

Come on guys,

Step it up

F-smash isn't too slow
Falcons Fsmash is my name, speed ain't my game.
But it does have quite decent reach when you stutterstep it up.

We should do this again sometime..

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
the*

Such as? A Pawnch? A knee of justice? ;)
Again, not a grammar mistake, just a typo. (E is next to the W.).

And no. A Bair, for example.

Fsmash is too slow and too punishable, only use it for punishing (but the understanding of punishing is probably to wide to use in discussion, so just refrain from using) as there are better options present.

Though, if not a moot point, it has quite some reach when stutterstepped, and can punish opponents while covering a decent distance.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Bair has less range and is more often to be staled than fsmash. Both are useful in their own ways, but bair being more useful regardless of the opponent's damage means that it probably won't be fresh to kill someone with. Either way, we are on fsmash right now.

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
Bair has less range and is more often to be staled than fsmash. Both are useful in their own ways, but bair being more useful regardless of the opponent's damage means that it probably wont be fresh to kill someone with. Either way, we are on fsmash right now.

Fsmash is too slow and too punishable, only use it for punishing (but the understanding of punishing is probably to wide to use in discussion, so just refrain from using) as there are better options present.

Though, if not a moot point, it has quite some reach when stutterstepped, and can punish opponents while covering a decent distance.
You're too slow.
:bumper::joyful::bumper:

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
You're too slow.
If you think that what I said is exactly what you said, then why did you say what you said that made me say what I said? That actually made sense, and anyway, I'm not trying to antagonize you, I'd just like to keep this discussion on the current move. Fsmash is very punishable. It has been said numerous times. But it is also a good punisher and KO move, and I learned some interesting stuff on the last two pages about it. This thread will discuss other moves soon, but I want to give the discussion more time. It hasn't even been a whole day yet.

Edit:
the range on Falcon's Salmon Smash is amazing =o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2A_o2dS0ng

was it not mentioned because it is considered bad or something?
It was mentioned a little I think, (backwards stutterstep), and I think range would be a good thing :)
Nice link, it demonstrates it really well.

Edit2: I rewatched the video and see that it's more than a backwards stutterstep, my bad. In that case, I don't think it has been mentioned thanks for bringing it up.

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
the range on Falcon's Salmon Smash is amazing =o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2A_o2dS0ng

was it not mentioned because it is considered bad or something?
Last week.
I saw a film.
If I recall it was a horror film.
I stepped outside, into the rain
check my phone and saw you rang and I

JIZZED IN MAH PANTS

but falcons Fsmash range was mentioned.

If you think that what I said is exactly what you said, then why did you say what you said that made me say what I said? That actually made sense, and anyway, I'm not trying to antagonize you, I'd just like to keep this discussion on the current move. Fsmash is very punishable. It has been said numerous times. But it is also a good punisher and KO move, and I learned some interesting stuff on the last two pages about it. This thread will discuss other moves soon, but I want to give the discussion more time. It hasn't even been a whole day yet.
How can you not have known everything that was mentioned?
its all common knowledge, really.

anyway, its your thread, but I think more things are going to be said numerous times. (read: moar time = moot).

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Last week.
I saw a film.
If I recall it was a horror film.
I stepped outside, into the rain
check my phone and saw you rang and I

JIZZED IN MAH PANTS

but falcons Fsmash range was mentioned.

How can you not have known everything that was mentioned?
its all common knowledge, really.
See, here's the thing. I don't know everything about every one of Falcon's moves. So I asked you guys for help, so that's why I made this thread =) Otherwise, I would just make a moveset guide or something.

anyway, its your thread, but I think more things are going to be said numerous times. (read: moar time = moot).
Well, it's happened already.

Its unreliable.
Go for a more reliable/safe way of KOing.
Falcons Fsmash is my name, speed ain't my game.
But it does have quite decent reach when you stutterstep it up.

We should do this again sometime..
Again, not a grammar mistake, just a typo. (E is next to the W.).

And no. A Bair, for example.

Your too slow
You're too slow.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
but falcons Fsmash range was mentioned
Not on the Salmon smash

With Falcon lacking so horribly in range anything that can be help should be at least considered, whether or not it is applied is player specific.

The Salmon Smash outranges basically anything else Falcon has and can be great for a surprise kill

it at least deserves mention other than what I previously said IMO

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
The Final Countdown is now playing in your head.
Expect infractions. (:

---

Alright, in my absence, let's see what I've missed...

F-Smash. It does decent damage, can be stutter-stepped/SALMON SMAAAAAAASH, awesome knockback, and personally, I yell whenever I land it. The huge problem is when to initiate F-Smash. It's a great punisher, but the move itself is also easily punished. I'd only use this move if I know I have a 90+% chance of landing the move. If your matchup isn't horrendous, using this move out of randomness isn't bad, but don't overdo it whatsoever. 6/10.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Great surprise attack, good punishing attack, Salmon Smash, we all know this stuff, like PHP said, it's common knowledge, but instead of saying we should move on to another move, I suggest we post uses for the move, situations where it could be usefull. Because whenever someone says it's a punishing move, it could be anywhere on the stage, why not tell everyone your strategy with f-smash on platforms, near the edge, on the stage etc etc.
I'll start by saying that whenever an opponent is hanging off the ledge, I mindgame foxtrot stutterstep them into a f-smash, has done the trick many times for me. Other than using it near the ledge as a counter-move, I have no further uses other than just random punishing lag or predicting an enemy's move. Like Falchion said, 6/10 for f-smash.

Smash Apprentice
I can't imagine a situation where it would be better to use Fsmash instead of Dsmash (unless Dsmash is stale of course).

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
I can't imagine a situation where it would be better to use Fsmash instead of Dsmash (unless Dsmash is stale of course).
when the opponent is out of Dsmash reach.
stutterstepped Fsmash/salmon smash will do tha job.

:bumper:
:bluejump:
:bumper:

Player-3

Smash Hero
fsmash isnt a great move, and its uses are obvious

but to those of you who say "rarshffbairs are better"

if your trying to kill, no

ill wait till bair discussion to continue

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice

you should keep Bair fresh, and then yes.
safer = better.

I'm awaiting your 'continuation'.

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
Good for punishing rollers. Even better when you pivot D-smash. They just don't see that coming. Every time I've done pivot D-smash I've hit my opponent... =D
Ok I've done it twice. But hey it's interesting.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Down smash is ideal.
A string of juggled, sourspotted up airs work well with it, especially on battlefield.
The priority isn't bad either, but it's no forward air.
Falcon does great on platformed stages, don't you think

Player-3

Smash Hero
dsmash is falcons best smash.

its fast, ends fast, not too easy to punish, and good killing power

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
dsmash is falcons best smash.

its fast, ends fast, not too easy to punish, and good killing power
Agreed, its versatile, but hella easy to punish though:(
If you miss the first kick,(and the opponent is close, wich is not even nescissary for projectile having chars) the opponent can almost choose an attack (or a projectile attack when further away, but why Dsmash when the opponent is out of Dsmash reach, right..mindgames? I dunno, risky buisiness.)>.<

Good to punish rolls, and great when you turn away from the opponent and then Dsmash, so the second kick punishes the opponents spotdodge;) (if any ofc >.<).

And great for spot dodge punishing with the first kick when charged right in front of the opponent to lure out a spot dodge and then punish said spod dodge:) (depends on the opponents playstyle, some roll away and some spotdodge. Or some even jump or use quick attacks, also depends on the opponents character ofc, for example, ZSS' one frame jab >.<, so be careful with this;), but when the opponent falls for it, it works wonders. Ofc, risky, but again, we play a risky character;)).

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
Good for punishing rollers. Even better when you pivot D-smash. They just don't see that coming. Every time I've done pivot D-smash I've hit my opponent... =D
Ok I've done it twice. But hey it's interesting.
I've been hit by countless DSmashes after rolling. The first kick has the killing power, but the second kick is harder to punish if someone evades it. Yeah, definitely a good smash compared to the slow fsmash and the limited range of usmash.

Iwan

Smash Ace

Totally agree with this. There are better ways (one in particular) to use bair.

Fsmash isn't great, but it isn't bad either. It's less obvious and more practical when stutter-stepped. Gives you more range with it as well. In fact, the only time I use Fsmash is when it's stutter-stepped.

ON TOPIC THOUGH: Dsmash is pretty good; I like using it to punish rolling wake-ups. If I think someone's going to roll towards me, I'll charge it up and release it on their wake up.

Radiation

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much every smash in the game is punishable besides the few with incredible shield knockback and no lag afterward, as far as smashes go dsmash is surprisingly good (for falcon) and a nice surprise damage racker at low percents. Everyone's already mentioned that it easily punishes rollers, which is great. If your opponent gets straight up off the edge this is a pretty good smash to throw out if they're outside of grab range just because the shield knockback will hit them, if they spotdodge you can release it late, and if they roll you can just hit them out of it with the back end.

Yeah pretty much this move's uses are really obvious.

Also the hitbox for this move is pretty much all of falcon's upper body practically up to his neck besides his legs, so if someone's stupid enough to JUMP INTO YOU then they get owned.

_Tiamat_

Smash Apprentice
Down smash

Falcon's strongest kill move not named Falcon Punch, it's actualy possible to hit with it. The kick in front of Falcon have more power than the one on his back, but the back one is still good. it's possible to hit with both kicks at low damage even though I don't know how... if someone can clear this up it would be interesting.

People with low crouch stances (I know about Snake, Kirby, Squirtle and Jigglypuff) can crouch to avoid or take very low damage from the front kick, but the back kick can usualy connect)

Overall I think this is Falcon's best kill move on the stage, even better if it's fresh but it's also a good move overall so sometime it's tempting to use it simply to build damage.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I love this move. I'm going to echo everyone and say that it's his best smash. Punishable? Sure, but not as much as Fsmash or Usmash. I find myself coming down after I've died and throwing down a Dsmash or two while I'm invincible. You can sometimes catch an opponent in a moment of carelessness pretty easily.

Mit

Smash Ace
PUNISH AERIAL APPROACHES

A friend of mine mains Yoshi. He often approaches with the half-jump RAR'd bair to go into Yoshi combos, but he's become very wary of doing it now. Why? I started charging d-smashes whenever he came near me. If he continued to try and bair me, I would either kick him in the face with dsmash, or match hits with him (the bair of course would barely hurt me, the dmash would do quite the opposite to him).

It takes a mindset to be able to spot aerial approaches you can punish (you can't just start charging it as soon as they jump, you've gotta whip it out at the last second and surprise them), but it's great, an essential strategy I'd say. If done right (on the proper kinds of aerial approaches), it will either land you a dsmash, or stop your opponents aerial approach (their only choice is to turn around in the air and back off, or airdodge into you, which, the backswing of dsmash would still hit them.)

So yeah, use it to punish aerial approaches (that you can actually match hits with/out-prioritize), and learn how fast it is and use it to punish other things as much as possible.

Oh and, obvious roll punishing.

EDIT: Also, first hit-nair -> dsmash. Sometimes it can be a combo, a lot of the time it isn't, but if you still try it anyways, chances are you'll catch your opponent off-guard and hit him with it anyways.

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
Provided the first kick hits, does it guarantee both hits against heavy, grounded opponents?
I know that when sandbag is lying flat on the ground, and is pretty much between Falcon's legs (what a great place to be), both hits will connect...(I know this from playing Home Run Contest)

kamimari36

Smash Apprentice
I think that both kicks connect when the opponent hits the heel of your first kick. (If they run towards you inbetween frames of your startup and of the first kick)
So they will be hit backwards, and if they are at a low enough percentage, they'll be hit by the following kick.

Please tell me if I'm wrong, cause I might be...
Falcon is my other Main

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I think that both kicks connect when the opponent hits the heel of your first kick. (If they run towards you inbetween frames of your startup and of the first kick)
So they will be hit backwards, and if they are at a low enough percentage, they'll be hit by the following kick.

Please tell me if I'm wrong, cause I might be...
Falcon is my other Main
That sounds right to me, I'm not sure exactly how it happens but that seems to explain it well. DI towards Falcon could cause them to get swept into the other kick, and yeah it seems that it happens more at lower percentages. Welcome to the Falcon boards.

Top Bottom