• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alright, this sucks

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I was playing some IRL falcon ditto's with a friend of mine, and then this happened:

We were both in the air, and he earial raptor boosted me, and when I got hit and started getting spiked, I immediatly Uaired out of reflex, and I hit him with the Uair, and I figure the Uair also canceled some downwards momentum.

I havent looked into this, and I hope this is a one time thing (as in, requires a certain percent, requires precise timing etc.).

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
I was playing some IRL falcon ditto's with a friend of mine, and then this happened:

We were both in the air, and he earial raptor boosted me, and when I got hit and started getting spiked, I immediatly Uaired out of reflex, and I hit him with the Uair, and I figure the Uair also canceled some downwards momentum.

I havent looked into this, and I hope this is a one time thing (as in, requires a certain percent, requires precise timing etc.).
Is it just a really fast meteor cancel? Like, at lower percents a lot of spikes have really low hitstun (They're called meteor smashes if they do) and you can get out of them easy, but later at like 50% your probably dead.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Do you remember at which percentage you were?
And also, it works both ways, since IF this is true and can be done at the right percentages, we can avoid getting spiked. But it's very bad for us if many characters can do this to us.

:034:

Smash Hero
Is it just a really fast meteor cancel? Like, at lower percents a lot of spikes have really low hitstun (They're called meteor smashes if they do) and you can get out of them easy, but later at like 50% your probably dead.
Meteor Smash = a 'spike' that can be meteor cancelled
Spike = can't be meteor cancelled

'Spikes' in Brawl technically don't exist, since every one of them can be meteor cancelled. But Meteor Smash sounds kind of weird, so you might as well call it a spike.

I think I know what caused this, though - a spike is a spike because of the angle, not because of speed, knockback or hitstun. Ike's Aether Spike is really weak, but it's still a spike even though it doesn't even send your opponent away very far.

Raptor Boost just doesn't have a lot of hitstun, but most people are too suprised by the spike effect to try something like this. You got spiked but the hitstun was pretty much over... Because that's what Brawl does, sadly. It's the same as with Ganondorf's upB. It also cancelled some momentum because that's what aerials do.

Zeallyx

Had you record the replay?
No man, it didnt seem like a big deal to me at first, but when I started thinking about it, it probably is. But this was after I already clicked away the screen whereI could save the replay of the match in question.

Meteor Smash = a 'spike' that can be meteor cancelled
Spike = can't be meteor cancelled

'Spikes' in Brawl technically don't exist, since every one of them can be meteor cancelled. But Meteor Smash sounds kind of weird, so you might as well call it a spike.

I think I know what caused this, though - a spike is a spike because of the angle, not because of speed, knockback or hitstun. Ike's Aether Spike is really weak, but it's still a spike even though it doesn't even send your opponent away very far.

Raptor Boost just doesn't have a lot of hitstun, but most people are too suprised by the spike effect to try something like this. You got spiked but the hitstun was pretty much over... Because that's what Brawl does, sadly. It's the same as with Ganondorf's upB. It also cancelled some momentum because that's what aerials do.
Yes, I understand how it can/couldve happened.
And because this theory (aside from beeing true, probably) is so simple (as in, why didnt we think of this before.) its weird that other character mains havent figured this out yet.
Its kinda out there if you think about it.

Do you remember at which percentage you were?
And also, it works both ways, since IF this is true and can be done at the right percentages, we can avoid getting spiked. But it's very bad for us if many characters can do this to us.
I dont remember the percentage. My apologies.
And Its very likely all characters can attack us when we raptor boost spike.

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
One thing I'd like to ask, did you hit him with the tip (foot) of the uair or the middle of the hitbox?
My point is, say, characters like Falco have pretty low range on the uair and they're not going to hit you with it anyway, unless they're like on 10%...so you don't really need to worry about it against some characters...

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Its all hitstun. Hit stun is directly related to knock back. Knock back is directly related to percent. Its in the 6 properties of a good move thread, in tactical discussion. I can give you the link if you want.

What percent were you at? This may answer your question.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
I dont remember the percentage. My apologies.
And Its very likely all characters can attack us when we raptor boost spike.
Well not ALL characters, Bowser and Ike for example can't hit you fast enough (now that I think of hit, maybe they are the only ones..) and Pit, Sonic and DDD for example can't finish with their u-air multihits due to downwards momentum. I'll try some stuff out myself :).

Mit

Smash Ace
Sounds like you had low damage, in which case, your opponent should have never used raptor dash in the air in the first place.

Why? If you didn't uair him immediately, you could've probably falcon punched him instead when he came down. At the very least any smash attack of your choosing, or a knee. Raptor dash is ONLY useful when your opponent has high damage, and you use it to punish moves on the ground, when you're POSITIVE you will connect. Otherwise, get ready to be punished, hard, in exchange for the measily damage you just gave.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Raptor Boost is a pretty weak spike as far as spikes go. If you meteor canceled perfectly (did you happen to use the A button for the uair and jump simultaneously) at a low percent, stuff like that is feasible. There aren't many spikes weaker than midair Raptor Boost.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Magus had said something about how you can do attacks and air dodges REALLY FAST out of any attack that knocks you over.

I forgot the exact numbers behind it though. What I do remember is that there are three timers for hitstun. One for the air dodge, one for the aerial, and another for everything else. The first two are extremely low set values, while the last one is based on knockback.

Zeallyx

alright. As it tunrs out not to be that big of a deal, I'll spread the word to other character boards to inform them of this little fact. As holding back info is more a ganon board thing. gay. So spread the word.:).

just reduce your aerial raptor boost usage percent from 0.99 to 0.00.
Cause you will get punished for aerial raptor boosting (decent/good) opponents who know about this little fact. (which will be the majority after the word is spread.).

Player-3

Smash Hero
i dont get it

they should infract you along with other posts on the boards all the posts on the boards

silly

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
This is not specific to Raptor Boost at all. I don't see what you're getting all worked up about. Raptor Boost is a weak spike, and at a low percentage, it has insufficient hitstun to prevent an opponent from hitting Falcon back, but this only applies in a frame perfect or extremely lucky environment, where aerial Raptor Boost is used (and hits o.o) when the opponent has an extremely low amount of damage. If this was done offstage for some reason, they could easily meteor cancel (which is what this is, just attacking as well), and if done onstage, it was a bad idea in the first place. Yes, meteor canceling exists in Brawl, that's all this is -_-

Zeallyx

This is not specific to Raptor Boost at all. I don't see what you're getting all worked up about. Raptor Boost is a weak spike, and at a low percentage, it has insufficient hitstun to prevent an opponent from hitting Falcon back, but this only applies in a frame perfect or extremely lucky environment, where aerial Raptor Boost is used (and hits o.o) when the opponent has an extremely low amount of damage. If this was done offstage for some reason, they could easily meteor cancel (which is what this is, just attacking as well), and if done onstage, it was a bad idea in the first place. Yes, meteor canceling exists in Brawl, that's all this is -_-
Who says this was at a low damage percent..
And yes, it is not specific to raptor boost, but it is also present during the raptor boost, which isnt exactly common knowledge.

And if this works at higher percents (like with ganons up b) one will never be able to raptor boost spike anymore.
Not that its often used, but people use it to 'intercept' edgeguarding opponents..
This was never the best option, but people do it, and now, they shouldnt do it at all anymore.
Not even those few attempts

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Who says this was at a low damage percent..
And yes, it is not specific to raptor boost, but it is also present during the raptor boost, which isnt exactly common knowledge.

And if this works at higher percents (like with ganons up b) one will never be able to raptor boost spike anymore.
Not that its often used, but people use it to 'intercept' edgeguarding opponents..
This was never the best option, but people do it, and now, they shouldnt do it at all anymore.
Not even those few attempts
I do, because that's how the game mechanics work. This is not a phenomenon. If you meteor cancel quick enough, you can hit someone out of a weak spike. "This" works at higher percents, it just takes longer due to more hitstun, so you can't hit your opponent, and will be lucky just to recover onstage, as in, how a spike works. People that did it habitually before won't care if it will work less, because it's a bad option anyway. Either way, I think it is kind of weird that you're concluding that Raptor Boost has some fatal flaw where you can get uaired by Falcon out of it, instead of meteor canceling a weak spike.

Zeallyx

I do, because that's how the game mechanics work. This is not a phenomenon. If you meteor cancel quick enough, you can hit someone out of a weak spike. "This" works at higher percents, it just takes longer due to more hitstun, so you can't hit your opponent, and will be lucky just to recover onstage, as in, how a spike works. People that did it habitually before won't care if it will work less, because it's a bad option anyway. Either way, I think it is kind of weird that you're concluding that Raptor Boost has some fatal flaw where you can get uaired by Falcon out of it, instead of meteor canceling a weak spike.
ok. here for the last time:
1. this may work at all percents. (immediatly attack falcon).
2. raptor boost is always risky, this can make it too risky at all times.
3. no phenomenon, but it sucks, and I dont care that you know, there are plenty who dont know.
4. I'm not talking about only falcons immediat Uair. but all characters airs with hitboxes above them.
5. can be the same thing as with ganons up b instead of meteor canceling.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
ok. here for the last time:
1. this may work at all percents. (immediatly attack falcon).

I don't understand though. You uaired someone in a Falcon ditto at an ambiguous damage amount with no replay and you think there may be an inexplicable flaw with the move?

2. raptor boost is always risky, this can make it too risky at all times.

This statement and all those that follow it are predicated on your theory being correct, even though the whole situation is completely explained by meteor canceling. Even if whatever problem you think there is with Raptor Boost is somehow legitimate and fully explored, that doesn't explain why, for a year, people have been getting Raptor Boost spiked just fine if they didn't know what they were doing, so even if there really is a way to prevent it from happening, it is unlikely it will ever be known widely.

3. no phenomenon, but it sucks, and I dont care that you know, there are plenty who dont know.
What is there to know? I'd understand if there was a video and a logical explanation, but everything is logically explained by meteor canceling :ohwell:

4. I'm not talking about only falcons immediat Uair. but all characters airs with hitboxes above them.
I understand, what I am questioning is the plausibility of some way to recover from aerial Raptor Boost that doesn't involve meteor canceling.

5. can be the same thing as with ganons up b instead of meteor canceling.
Maybe. I'm just saying it would be a good idea if you had proof, especially since this sounds exactly like meteor canceling once again lol.
Responses in blue.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
You'll regret you ever said that. Didn't most of Falcon's attacks have low hitstun to begin with?
I don't think Falcon's attacks are that much worse than everyone else's in that regard. I guess dair is the only move with real hitstun, but there isn't much in Brawl anyway. I don't get how Falcon is said to have low priority- bair, uair, fair, utilt, jab, and Falcon Kick (even though it's terrible) all have really good priority. And Falcon Dive is a grab. I think it's more of a lack of safe approaches and disjointed hitboxes that makes him so bad.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Hasn't anyone tested this yet? If not, then what are we talking about, let's clear this thing up, Knee didn't know at what percentage this was, so let's test it!! (Including me, I admit I'm lazy too...)

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Hasn't anyone tested this yet? If not, then what are we talking about, let's clear this thing up, Knee didn't know at what percentage this was, so let's test it!! (Including me, I admit I'm lazy too...)
There's no way to test this besides spiking people with Raptor Boost. I did it to a Snake today and he didn't hit me back immediately, he died. That is because he had a high amount of damage, and couldn't meteor cancel then uair -_-

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
This just sounds like a low percent raptor boost spike. At high percents, I've been raptor boost spiked and couldn't meteor cancel fast enough to avoid death. Whatever, raptor boost fails for a recovery anyways.

Zeallyx

You'll regret you ever said that. Didn't most of Falcon's attacks have low hitstun to begin with?
I dont think so

And@T3h N00b:
Ok then it is meteor canceling.
DONT, I repeat, DONT LOOK INTO THIS. At all costs. Just dont. Cause you know..ToKnee said it.

Do you see this --> :pimp:
Thats me not caring.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Wow.

if you ACTUALLY think that this sucks for falcon, your stupid.
He has spoken. *DhooM*

But in all seriousness, any falcon who Rb spikes is a ******* idiot. Unless you ledge grab cancel the ending lag, and miraculously save your self, this is a waste of time.

Zeallyx

Wow.

if you ACTUALLY think that this sucks for falcon, your stupid.

Wow.

Have you NOT read what I said?

aerial RB usage from 0.99 -->0.00 = all.
Just it beeing cast aside due to my username is the problem.

This could happen at higher percents..
look into it+prove me wrong, or just dont post here.

I could be right, and in that case, like I said, aerial raptor boost usage from 0.99-->0.00.

Not a big deal, no.

But people DO use aerial raptor boost to recover. Even good players.
When they are mindgamed into feeling safe using it, they will. (and yes, even ogod players get mindgamed.).

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I'm not trying to be mean, but you're going to need proof that Raptor Boost has some sort of inexplicable flaw that isn't explained by quickly meteor canceling a weak spike, not the other way around. What you keep saying is 100% explained by meteor canceling, yet you are asking P3 to prove you wrong. All you have is one situation (still most likely explained by meteor canceling) and no video, now you ask for proof. If you say good players should never use aerial Raptor Boost, then it shouldn't be a problem. I use it occasionally, and my opponents haven't figured out a possible obscure way to hit me out of it, they die if I spike them at high percentages.

Mit

Smash Ace
I don't get how Falcon is said to have low priority- bair, uair, fair, utilt, jab, and Falcon Kick (even though it's terrible) all have really good priority. And Falcon Dive is a grab.
Surely you are aware that priority does not exist in the air. Only if you use aerials against grounded opponents, and even then, I wouldn't call it 'really good' priority. Especially Falcon Kick (it's better than raptor boost, but I've still been hit out of it many times).

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Surely you are aware that priority does not exist in the air. Only if you use aerials against grounded opponents, and even then, I wouldn't call it 'really good' priority. Especially Falcon Kick (it's better than raptor boost, but I've still been hit out of it many times).
Right, but the air moves I mentioned do have good priority against ground moves, and by the same logic, no one could have bad priority in the air. Utilt and jab beat most moves that they hit (utilt outranges a lot of stuff anyway), especially those with equal damage, and Falcon Kick actually has excellent priority. It goes through Tornado if you get the hitbox out in time, and the same goes for a flubbed knee. I've used bair and utilt too.

Top Bottom