• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Week 2 Matchup: Snake

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Snake is fun to fight. The best thing about it is that you can eat his nades, and they can be fatal to Snakes who aren't careful. Approaching is easy as pie, as Wario can airdodge his tilts and then proceed to Nair, Dair, or Bite. And speaking of which, BITE IS YOUR FRIEND IN THIS MATCHUP. Wario can eat nades AND his Cypher, which royally screws his recovery or at least ends up in him C4ing to recover, which means free damage. Wario has a clear advantage here.

Discuss

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Gimping even good Snakes isn't that difficult... but you won't be doing it like... every stock or anything. Eating nades is just a terrible idea, there's so much lag after that lol.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Gimping even good Snakes isn't that difficult... but you won't be doing it like... every stock or anything. Eating nades is just a terrible idea, there's so much lag after that lol.
But you've gotta admit, they make for epic kills if they hit.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
No one good throws grenades into your mouth, generally when I eat one it's b/c they shielddropped a nade as I was attempting to bite them, which leave me opening for punishing.

Wario Nut

Smash Journeyman
@Commander Blitzkrieg: I love your sig.

@PhantomX: How come it shows your main as Ganandorf?

Just posting so that you guys know I still live. :)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Snake does not get wrecked, except when he has to recover. Getting back on stage for him will be hard.

Dair to Dair to Fsmash I think is guaranteed unless they SDI out of the Dairs.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yo, I picked up Wario a while ago as a back-up character hopefully I get really good soon. I played Snake a couple of times with Wario actually so I can give some input.

Most Snakes play this match-up completely wrong. They spend way too much time camping around with grenades which only gives Wario time to charge his fart or to somehow get through to Snake. Grenades suck in that match-up! I find grenade camping Snakes to be easy but Snakes, who know the match-up are very tough to beat. Snake actually can destroy all of Warios approaches easily with utilt. Now most Snakes save their utilt to KO you but in the Wario match-up it's actually better as a regular attack.
Snakes utilt ***** all of Warios approaches. Additionally he can walk to ftilt, which is really hard to get around if he knows how to do it.
Warios best approach is either Dair or SH Bite from my experience but utilt beats both pretty easily. The only other option I can think of is a grab but a step back + ftilt will cover that option too.
Snake has a massive advantage on the ground so unless you find a way to get him into the air you won't win. Once Snake is in the air it's not too hard to land uairs to juggle him and deal nice damage so if you get to grab him uthrow is actually a good choice. Just bait the airdodge and then you can clap him back into the air. Getting him into the air is however really difficult and you shouldn't make any mistakes when you get the chance to deal damage as you won't get too many if the Snake knows what to do.

Stages are very interesting because both characters have their share of good stages. Something to consider is that Snake is actually not bad at Rainbow Cruise ... most Snakes just suck on that stage lol. It's still in Warios favour on that stage though =P

6/4 for Snake on Battlefield and 55/45 for Snake on Halberd
Solid advantage for Wario on Brinstar but most Snakes will ban it anyways...so Rainbow Cruise and Frigate Orpheon are both good choices (around 55/45 Warios favour imo).
Overall I'd say it's 5/5...

Edit @ dmg

Dair -> Dair -> Fsmash can be escaped after the first dair =P

:059:

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Dair > Nair > Nair > Fsmash should work on them, as well as dair > bite > dacus.

You are also wrong about uptilt, it is really easy to airdodge through it and punish plus without it they have NO kill move. What's hard for us is his stupid as hell jab. Also, smart grenading is really useful, as is camping under platforms. Simple nade dropping doesn't help them really, but having nades and mortars exploding nearby does. I think it's 55:45 for us btw.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
It depends entirely which direction they're moving.

If they're rising as you start getting hit with it, go down; if they're moving towards you, go through them; if they're moving away from you, go away from them. All of these except the last one can be punished with a waft.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Edit @ dmg

Dair -> Dair -> Fsmash can be escaped after the first dair =P

:059:
If they do not SDI the Dairs, Snake cannot escape the second Dair if you do the first one properly (Fast falling it within a 3 second frame window IIRC, maybe 5 frame window and buffering the second Dair to start as soon as possible or very close to as soon as possible). He is in stun too long to where the only possible thing he could do if Wario messes up slightly is airdodge, which Dair will hit him out of it anyways since he will be so close to the ground. After that, you can try to grab him or Fsmash him. After the first Dair, also you can just decide to bite him or grab or etc.

BMX

Smash Lord
Snake is a really fun matchup, IMO.

I play really good Snakes like Candy and G-reg.

To win against one is to be cautious. It is hard to approach him when nades and tilts come at you. Stay airbourne and learn the playstlye of that Snake. Get him in the air and you can bait him if you correctly guess his attacks and airdodges. He covers alot of ground with his sliding mortar, so air is your lover.

Predict, predict, predict. To land successful hits, you must be patient because there are campy Snakes. Remember, Wario can air camp like a GOD!!!

Browny

Smash Hater
can someone confirm/deny GR nair on wario

so many times ive had people tell me that its inescapable (not that it matters THAT much since you just DI the nair and punish the landing lag lol :p) but I cant do it for the life of me when people jump+airdodge as soon as possible :/

BMX

Smash Lord
can someone confirm/deny GR nair on wario

so many times ive had people tell me that its inescapable (not that it matters THAT much since you just DI the nair and punish the landing lag lol :p) but I cant do it for the life of me when people jump+airdodge as soon as possible :/
It can be DI.

I do it all the time.

Stick with uptilt.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I've gotten 2 kills on a snake by eating nades (that nonsense kills at like 60%). Of course 98% of the time they'll sidestep (hence why you ate the nade) then thanks to the massive amount of lag can probably forward smash you in the face...............................so yeah, horrible Idea

Top Bottom