• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Moveset Discussion: Dash Attack

Metatitan

Smash Master
lol wow i cant believe i forgot about this one. probly because ur not supposed to use it, but i guess it has a use or two. also i know how marik wanted another one of these threads really really badly <3

Depster

Smash Champion
It can combo itself a little or combo with Jabs, so it is reliable in some circumstances. Otherwise though, might as well do a DR fsmash

Metatitan

Smash Master
it cant combo into anything actually, they can just shield it. nice try tho, that used to work at the start of brawl on wifi :( mmac always like that "combo" :(

bigman40

Smash Master
Good to hit someone that airdodges to try and land on the ground. I don't use it much, but I dont' have alot of people to test it on anyway

Metatitan

Smash Master
theres really not much to test it tho, unlike most other attacks, dash attack is pretty straightforward and its obvious it has like, one use: punish an airdodge, which id rather use upsmash for anyways

bigman40

Smash Master
theres really not much to test it tho, unlike most other attacks, dash attack is pretty straightforward and its obvious it has like, one use: punish an airdodge, which id rather use upsmash for anyways
You would use Usmash and make it more stale than it needs to be.

Airborne

Smash Lord
yeah that is kinda true by what edrees said... we do have DR and usmash, but usmash hits later, due to it going to hit in front of him or above him generally, and DR gives a given 9 frames of lag just from stopping yourself.... it could be better to just pivot grab or dash grab wouldn't it?

Yosheon

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately, I use Yoshi's dash attack more than I should be using it, so I need to cut down on that. It has decent damage, but the lag is annoying.

As far as tech chasing goes, I tend to mix up between the dash grab and dash attack.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I almost never use this move. It can punish spotdodges since it lasts so long. But I hate getting punished for hitting with the move (anything less than 60% and you'll be punished............lame)

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
grabbing is better for following a tech than dash attack
What if they are at 210% and dash attack would have killed them but they are a character you can't kill out of a grab? This sounds like a complicated scenario but it happens a lot, like against DDD. I don't use this move much but I think its a great move to get a kill in at high percents.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
What if they are at 210% and dash attack would have killed them but they are a character you can't kill out of a grab? This sounds like a complicated scenario but it happens a lot, like against DDD. I don't use this move much but I think its a great move to get a kill in at high percents.
Exactly. I've been tryin to say this in the other thread, but I guess the way came out was quite a bit confusing. But basically, Edreese nailed it.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I think alternating Dash-> dtilt can combo for a little bit as long as they dont tech when they hit

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
i.. i like this move, it definately leads into other things, and i can't remember any time i've been punished for it connecting

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Guys, you don't understand the potential of the dash attack. Let me explain. :colorful:

Think about it. A character DI'ed upwards after getting sent off the ledge. They double-jump, and with no interference that'll be all they will need to recover. However, what if you just stand at the ledge, waiting for them? You plan to use a dash attack before they can grab the ledge, and therefore they only have three options at this point:

1. Use their recovery move early, therefore putting them into free-fall/a disadvantageous position (most characters don't like to be above Yoshi because of his up-smash).

2. Air-dodge the dash attack, but in turn make a simple recovery into a very difficult one since they just air-dodged past the ledge. Yoshi can then drop down and d-air/n-air them for an easy gimp.

3. Take the dash attack, but since it has horizontal knockback it may actually gimp them or even KO them if their percentage is high enough.

I love the dash attack. It is such a nice edge-guarding move. ^_^

Metatitan

Smash Master
as much as we'd like our dash attack to be as sexy as samus' or zamus', it cant combo, there are far superior moves for ledge guarding and if they shield it, its a free hit (if ur facing my jiggs its a free rest every time)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
D-tilt doesn't have as much knockback, though. It still leaves them with the possibility of recovering. Dask attack can make it literally impossible for some characters (like Marth, Ness, Lucario, and especially Ike).

Not to mention that people would predict that you're about to d-tilt since you'd be crouching. When preparing a dash attack, Yoshi would just be standing there, it can lead to pretty much any attack, which would leave the opponent guessing at what you're trying to do.

But Airborne is right, though. If you can somehow get your opponent into that situation at a low percentage then d-tilt would be better due to it having higher knockback. At high percentages dash attack is better, though.

EDIT: Metatitan, how can you shield a move if you are in the air?

Metatitan

Smash Master
the move gets shielded in general polt. and apparently u didnt know, u dont need to be crouching to do a d tilt. its called tilting the control stick down, and pressing a

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
yeah dtilt does more of the work you're trying to explain with more efficient range and far better at lower percents... almost a semi-spike of sorts....
Of course, anytime you have a choice between dash attack and down tilt, down tilt is the preferable option. However, there are situations where down tilt is not an option and dash attack is, such as when your opponent is going for the ledge and you are really far away from them. If you run and down tilt, your down tilt won't come out in time because of the sliding animation from trying to stop. If this were Melee physics, dash attack would almost useless, but because you can't stop on a dime t here's only a few options you have out of a dash to hit someone on the ground

(1) Grab
(2) A B move (all being slow)
(3) Dash Attack
(4) Up smash

There are situations where option (3) is the best to take because it IS the quickest option here.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Dash attack ***** the following:

1] Characters you just double jabbed at mid-percents that slide really far.

2] Characters that are airdodging into the ground.

3] Characters that have very few off-the-ledge options.

4] Characters landing from the air in general.

5] Spotdodges.

6] Bad vertical DI.

7] Good horizontal DI.

You should absolutely never use dash attack when:

1] Characters are firmly planted on the ground.

2] Characters are shielding or have the capability to shield by time you get to them.

Dash attack KOs, has a lingering hitbox, and has invulnerability on Yoshi's head.

Dash attack is pretty okay.

It's only bad if you use it when it's unnecessary or unsafe.

Dash attack is funny because you should only use it when you can use it. It can seem like the worst move in the game if you use it improperly because its only merit lies in the situations it creates when it hits. The move might as well not exist if you don't use it properly, so if you're having a bad experience with dash attack, try to re-examine how you're using it and see if you can't readjust your use of the move.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: It does organize the information better.

Besides, when these aren't bumped anymore, I can have the main moveset thread which has links to all of these individual ones linked in the link thread.

Man, so many links. :D

So many threads. :D

Airborne

Smash Lord
Of course, anytime you have a choice between dash attack and down tilt, down tilt is the preferable option. However, there are situations where down tilt is not an option and dash attack is, such as when your opponent is going for the ledge and you are really far away from them. If you run and down tilt, your down tilt won't come out in time because of the sliding animation from trying to stop. If this were Melee physics, dash attack would almost useless, but because you can't stop on a dime t here's only a few options you have out of a dash to hit someone on the ground

(1) Grab
(2) A B move (all being slow)
(3) Dash Attack
(4) Up smash

There are situations where option (3) is the best to take because it IS the quickest option here.
well there is still dtilt in those situations for those able to DR and DT efficiently, as it does kind of serve as almost a replacement due to the absence dash canceling/crouch canceling/ whatever it's called... but both basically do the same thing in a sense, so it's your opinion when the opponent is attempting to recover.

Metatitan

Smash Master
:yoshi: It does organize the information better.

Besides, when these aren't bumped anymore, I can have the main moveset thread which has links to all of these individual ones linked in the link thread.

Man, so many links. :D

So many threads. :D
i already made one sheeree lol

and i don't see a point to dash attacking, it can really be a huge risk and for 7-9%, its not worth it. if they wanna grab the ledge ill just space myself with ETS :D

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
But ETS won't gimp/KO them. So, if you do hit them, they'll take about 6-7% of damage, and then they'll just grab the ledge. However, what you can do is ETS, then dash attack to add even more damage then just simply dash attacking (works fantastically against Ike).

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: LOL! @ SNOWSTALKER

I don't know why, but that line just made my day.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
erm i usually use this more to end a chain grab or just a grad release. i think its garenteed on everyone we can chain grab so its an extra 9% we could use

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I actually use this attack more at higher percents for punishing air dodges or spot dodges than Usmash. I like the way it knocks the opponent off the stage nearly all horizontally, because it lets me badger the opponent off the stage.

I have problems with wanting to abuse this move, though. I will usually dash attack even when I know my opponent will shield. Need to work on mixing it up with a grab. >_>

Airborne

Smash Lord
I have problems with wanting to abuse this move, though. I will usually dash attack even when I know my opponent will shield. Need to work on mixing it up with a grab. >_>
i know exactly what you mean, cod. this is primarily due to playing as yoshi on wifi; most players are unable to punish dash attack online well for some reason, and we begin to do it more often in frustration sometimes, which makes us more obvious and such. =\

it happened to me when i tried to start playing wifi again, so i had to put brawl down for a week or 2....

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
i know exactly what you mean, cod. this is primarily due to playing as yoshi on wifi; most players are unable to punish dash attack online well for some reason, and we begin to do it more often in frustration sometimes, which makes us more obvious and such. =\

it happened to me when i tried to start playing wifi again, so i had to put brawl down for a week or 2....
That may explain it. Due to lack of transportation and any nearby competition, all of my experience comes from WiFi. I feel it'll hurt me badly when I finally get to Brawl in person because I'll be stuck with old Wifi habits and such.

Top Bottom