• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rob Official Matchup Discussion: Luigi

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
After a brief personal hiatus, I... HAVE... RETURNED! </ Hobbit Animated Movie Reference>

And, I come bearing gifts. Kind of. MATCHUP DISCUSSIONS! Huzzah!

Ya, I made an executive decision this week. Felt like talkin about some Luigi. We'll get back to "voting" for the next one.

So... as before:

ROB's Advantages:

ROB's Disadvantages:

Opponent's Advantages:

Opponent's Disadvantages:

What ROB should try to do:

How to do it:

How opponent can stop it:

What Opponent should be trying to do:

How they'll do it:

How ROB can stop it:

Counterpicks (what ROB should pick/ What opponent will pick {If you're someone contributing from another board})
Bans (what ROB should ban 1 via stage strike, 1 via personal ban)
Preferred Neutral (what ROB wants/ What opponent wants {If you're someone contributing from another board})

Ratio:

GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO!

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
Since I get to play arguably the best luigi in the country, I'll contribute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfDR3eB5cIA

ROB's Advantages:

Luigi slides a lot. Down smashing his shield is safe.
ROB outranges luigi by a LOT. Camp hard, tilt a lot.
Good edgeguarding game.

ROB's Disadvantages:

Luigi can combo ROB pretty hard because he's floaty and his aerials are so fast.
Jab leads in to luigi's upB VERY easily. Kills at 75%(pre hit WITH BEST DI) on most stages.
Forward smash also kills early. About 90% pre hit with good DI if tilted up.
Luigi can also air dodge to the ground almost seamlessly, if he does this expect him to grab or attack immediately. If he gets in on you I simply recommend rolling away -- it'll minimize the combo.

Opponent's Advantages:
Same as ROB's disadvantages?

Same as ROB's advantages?

Camp and poke until mid-high percents. Then edgeguard. Be wary of misfires (Fair out prioritizes a misfire though, you just have to react); avoid combos, don't spotdodge/airdodge predictably or you'll eat an early death. Don't be above luigi -- obvious I would think. Upair beats everything he has if he approaches from above. Constantly space by moving in and out of ftilt range. Note that attacking his shield is especially safe.

Luigi can combo ROB until kill%'s, when one read will end the stock. Just juggle and avoid ROB's spacing/camping tools.

Counterpicks :
ROB should pick Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, or Frigate Orpheon.
Luigi should pick Battlefield or Halberd.

Bans:
ROB should ban Battlefield or Halberd. Always strike Battlefield first.

Preferred Neutral:
I think Final Destination is our best neutral for this matchup. I don't like Yoshi's Island, but I don't think it's ban worthy.

Ratio:
50:50. MAYBE 55:45 ROB.

Atash

Smash Apprentice
Macro:
ROB has the power and versatile range to push Luigi around while Luigi has the power and speed to string ROB. The first part of the match would, in general (as far as I can tell), consist of a momentum based fight up until Luigi can start looking for the early KO. ROB will then have his chance for edge-guard tactics (probably some percent after Luigi starts looking for the early KO).

Luigi can start going for his 'early' KOs at anywhere between 40% (down-angled F-smash near the edge [highly situational]), 50%-60% (up-B), and anywhere else sub-100% (up-angled F-smash). Later KOs probably won't come into play - ROB's edge-guarding game is ungodly (an irremovable black stain upon this Earth)...

As (almost) always, Luigi should be sticking to his opponent like glue from the air, from Jab1->* combos (D-smash, {F,D}-tilt, grabs, and a few others are all unblockable on ROB [see: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199907bo]), from cyclones, etc.

In summary, in the beginning percents ROB and Luigi should both just be attempting to do their own things - getting the damage on (which they both seem to be quite good at doing with their varieties of strings). The mid to high percents should be Luigi's game to win (requiring an up-hill battle against ROB's range), and gradually move towards being ROB's game to win or lose as edge-guarding comes into play. The deciding factor on the overall match-up, I think, is the time difference between when Luigi can start to make viable attempts at KOing ROB from on-stage and when ROB can start to edge-guard Luigi with ease.

Micro:
Like ZOM~B said, both characters should try to avoid being on top of the other (disregarding Luigi being underneath both the edge and ROB), as that will lead to pain. ROB's heavy weight means the possibility of a brief string of U-tilts at the start of the game (if you can manage to get through his ridiculous ground range). Uhhhh...

Really Micro:
Our reverse U-tilt clanks with ROB's D-smash (from anywhere between the U-tilt being started first by a few frames to them both being started at the same time [I didn't do any detailed testing...]). I dunno how useful that is, though. Probably not very...

As usual, take apart my ideas, throw what doesn't work in the trash and keep the rest, etc. :-P

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
ohey lookie here it's rob boards ! I usually play NL's rob alot so I know what i'm talking (tourney/friendly wise). Right now atm, I can say it's a dead even 5/5 IMO. 55:45 goes either way, but mostly CP stages will decide it for sure. Luigi will have a far easier time in this matchup if he can powershield most of Rob's moves. but that just goes natural for now.

Biglou should have a better input since he tends to **** alot of robs lol.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Y'know, I think I'm gonna mostly follow the template this time.

ROB's Advantages AKA Luigi's Disadvantages:
EDGEGUARDING om nom nom. Luigi is one of the easiest characters to spike as well, at least for me. :X

Luigi is very slow to approach (and his Fireball sucks), making projectile camping highly effective against him. Once he gets close, ROB significantly outranges him. As long as ROB stays horizontal to him, Luigi has a hard time getting inside.

Attacking Luigi's shield is safe, including close-range DSmash which most other characters would punish if shielded.

ROB's Disadvantages (and again...):
ROB gets his blind spot eaten up by Luigi. Luckily, Luigi is too slow to stay under ROB and juggle for long but, like his bro, he can chain attacks early and rack up a lot of damage. By the time he's unable to do that, you're already in kill range from his Up-B. -_- His FSmash is also a sub-100% killer. Caution! Attencion! Cuidado!

Camp and zone Luigi like a mofo, as he is slow and well out-ranged. And, like, edgeguard him when you get him off-stage. *shrug* So how do you edgeguard Luigi?

Since Luigi needs to charge his Side-B to get much distance, you can wait for him to start charging before looking to counter it. This is a good time to disrupt him with a projectile, which will likely prevent him from charging a new one and force him below stage level for an easy kill. ROB can also outprioritize it with a side aerial but a misfire will probably shoot Luigi over your head and get him back on-stage. If it doesn't look like he's going for the ledge, just wait to punish the huge ending lag.

Luigi's Up-B is purely vertical, making it tough for him to get the ledge unless he is perfectly across or below it. Use this to your advantage by harassing him with ROB's superior aerials before he reaches that position, he can't Up-B straight through you like Mario or Marth would. If he ever goes low and has to use his Tornado to get back up, spike him.

ROB's projectiles are telegraphed, making them just as easy to react and dodge for Luigi as they are most other characters. Luigi should be liberal with air dodging and has enough in-close speed to punish ROB from it if ROB doesn't maintain proper spacing. Luigi's ground Tornado is an occasional approach mix-up but is not particularly effective since ROB's projectiles knock him out of it. (A weak Gyro cancels it, Laser beats it. Does a charged Gyro also beat it? I don't know...)

Luigi should be follow up aggressively at low percents, as he can effectively chain attacks on ROB in his blind spot up to ~50%. After that, he should be fishing for early kills via Up-B and FSmash, as ROB will begin to give Luigi trouble if he can survive to his usual heavyweight damage levels.

How ROB can stop it:
There's probably not much ROB can do to avoid the early combo. Eventually, Luigi is going to get inside and pretty much everything but a Jab Combo will pop ROB up in position to be juggled for 40-50%. What ROB needs to do is ensure he survives beyond that point, which ROB can do by continuing to maintain his spacing and not letting Luigi close enough to land his strongest kill moves. Stay on the ground when Luigi is on the ground to avoid the risk of trading an aerial with his FSmash and follow Luigi to the air so he cannot air dodge into Up-B or shield-pressure and shield-poke with it.

Counterpicks
Rainbow Cruise, Japes, Orpheon are all good picks as per ZOM~B. If it's allowed, Luigi's ROB's Mansion is also nice. Lylat can screw his recovery up and the platforms aren't as bad as BF.

Bans
Battlefield, as usual... Halberd gives him a non-solid main stage to Tornado through and has a lower ceiling. Norfair is considerable if allowed: Luigi uses the strange layout far better, can't be gimped there, and the ceiling is very low on the higher platforms.

Preferred Neutral
As is the case for any camping strategy, FD if possible. Any sensible Luigi isn't going to allow that, so just strike Battlefield and steer it toward the remaining neutral you're most comfortable with. Try to take it to Lylat if that's neutral.

Ratio:
Oh, 60:40-ish. I'm rather sick of seeing ROB be constantly underrated in our own match-up discussions but this is one match-up I'm quite confident in saying otherwise.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
ugh.. this is why i hate most theory crafters.. alot of it will be most likely wrong.. when ACTUALLY fighting them irl person experience matters the most...

Mr.E alot of the stuff you pointed out is wrong.. espically on luigi's part.. you mostly just gave the plus points on Rob.. but then again.. this is why I have a dislike to "most" theory crafters.. but then again like you said you were thinking in your first post.. I'll keep spectating abit more as I am sleepy to debate what you just said.

Just so you know.. Luigi isn't slow to combo Rob nor does his aerial speed will make a negative dramatic impact on the matchup..

lol boss v chozen is legit

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Like someone said before, this match seems to have huge swings in momentum. Whoever gets the "jump" at the beginning, can rack up loads of damage before the opponent can do much about.

Luigi is going to try to get ROB in the air at lower percents. From my experience, this is most often set up by a jab->grab->D-throw. But, the typical Luigi approach of SH D-air->N-air works to the same end, and the cyclone accomplishes this goal as well, as does a fireball up close. It is important to note, that unless its with an N-air, Luigi will probably be approaching from the 2 o'clock position; which avoids putting himself above ROB, but allows the hitboxes of D- and N-air to still be a threat.

After the insuing ****, ROB will probably be *near* KO percents, and will be there if he made a poor decision and let Luigi extend the combos. At that point, Luigi only has to tack on a little more damage for the KO via Firepunch or F-smash.

In the event that ROB avoids this but still gets percents tacked onto him, Luigi still has viable kill options with U-smash, a fresh N-air if it hits from a full jumped height, and even a throw (is it F- or B-? I can't remember).

ROB has essentially two methods of attack. They both HAVE to be used, but the "order" in which you use them, or frequency is what separates them:

1) He can attempt to camp at first, in an attempt to set up a wall for Luigi to get through, and get some free damage that way. Laser/gyro, F-tilt, F-smash, jab, and (possibly?) u-tilt. At any rate, its important to note that gyro stops cyclone in its tracks as it clanks, and laser knocks him out of it. A smart ROB should be able to snag a free 25-40% before eventually getting caught up in Mr L's ****.

2) ROB can attempt to beat Luigi to the punch. Its riskier, but the reward is higher. If ROB can get under the Luigi and get him in the air, and attack from underneath/the side, spacing properly to avoid an N-air c-c-c-c-combo breaker, ROB should be able to tack on 40-60% himself through various use of Jabs, Grabs/Throws, U-tilt, U-air, F-air, and an F-smash to possibly finish. At any moment though, one wrong move can result in Luigi through out a quicker aerial, ending your string and (depending on position) creating one of his own.

The two strats should be intermingled. If you decide on option 2 as the first plan of attack, back off after you get your damage in, and shift to option 1- which keeps you away from Luigi and therefore minimizes the possibility of getting combo'd, and, if you HAVE already been- it minimizes the chance of Luigi landing a KO move. If you go with option 1, switch to option 2 if you have the chance, to open up a possible small combo->edgeguard opportunity.

The main gist of it all; is that both chars are GOING to get their 40-70% damage on one another. Its just a matter of who gets it first, and what they do after it.

As I mentioned before, Luigi can look for early kills afteward, and ROB can look for edge-guarding opportunities. Any smart luigi player is going to save their second jump for as long as possible. This becomes more necessary with slightly lesser skilled Luigi players, as they rely on the DJ->cyclone too much, not having the knowledge, or fast enough fingers to use the cyclone WITHOUT the double jump to get a reasonable vertical boost. (Saw boss do that in a vid, was absolutely amazed. )

That being said, edgeguarding Luigi is still not a "breeze". They'll be throwing out fireballs once they see a gyro coming (if above or parallel) to the stage level, to stop it in its tracks. However, you can get a lucky bounce off the fireball, and it will drop down ONTO luigi as he uses his cyclone. REALLY, REALLY situational, but its happened several times for me.

Missile will probably be coming early, to close any horizontal distance between luigi & the stage. Depending on height, maybe another, or two more in opposite directions as a mindgame (dont see that happening much, tbh, but, its possible). Then comes some fireballs once they are near stage level, then dj->cyclone, and even needed, up+B. Of course, Luigi can vary the order, especially if he CAN use the cyclone without the DJ, but that's typically the pattern you'll see.

Basically, ROB is going to want to harass luigi off the stage; hitting him out of a missle charge/missile launch, which will set up for a possible second jump steal, and then an F-air or two if needed. B-air stage spikes are possible, if he recovers from directly below.

ROBs preferred neutral: FD, SV
Strike: BF
Ban: ???

Luigi's preferred Neutral: BF
Strike: ??
Ban: ??

Ratio: 50/50 to 55/45 ROB's favor; still dependant on CPs tho.

Sorry if the post is a bit scattered, lots of things going on ATM...feel free to correct me if im wrong.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
you mostly just gave the plus points on Rob..
It's almost as if we're on the ROB forum in the ROB Match-up Discussion thread. And I have quite a bit of Luigi experience, person who wants to dump all over me as usual. When I lack the experience to properly assess and discuss a match-up (such as DK previously), I simply don't post.

How does Luigi's slow-*** aerial speed not hurt him in a match-up against an opponent with a strong camping game, much longer range, and amazing edgeguarding? If you prefer, I could sum it up like I did with Fox/Falco and just say Luigi is a much easier version of Mario for ROB to handle. :ohwell:

Basically, ROB is going to want to harass luigi off the stage; hitting him out of a missle charge/missile launch, which will set up for a possible second jump steal, and then an F-air or two if needed. B-air stage spikes are possible, if he recovers from directly below.
Tornado is E-Z to REAL spike if it's used near the stage!

Mr.E

Smash Lord
The point is that, beyond the low percents where he can flat-out chain attacks together, Luigi doesn't have the range/speed to chase after ROB and juggle him ad nauseum, as many other characters would do. It doesn't do his recovery any favors, either.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
The point is that, beyond the low percents where he can flat-out chain attacks together, Luigi doesn't have the range/speed to chase after ROB and juggle him ad nauseum, as many other characters would do. It doesn't do his recovery any favors, either.
I concede that point, but I'm merely asserting that Luigi doesn't *need* to juggle ROB until the cows come home. Depending on what Luigi does, 70% is easily reachable with one long string+one short string, or a few medium strings. 20% more, which can be given through fireball spam+random cyclone when you aren't expecting it+maybe a random D-smash or something = you're at/near F-smash, or shoryuken kill percents.

Atash

Smash Apprentice
It's almost as if we're on the ROB forum in the ROB Match-up Discussion thread. And I have quite a bit of Luigi experience, person who wants to dump all over me as usual. When I lack the experience to properly assess and discuss a match-up (such as DK previously), I simply don't post.
[flame]Then in this case you must be 'on' something - your inability to recognize your lack of knowledge is driving a few people insane.[/flame]

First off, regarding the slow aerial speed... Where would this come into play in an approach? As far as I'm aware, no decent Luigi attempts to use slow predictable approaches in the air. A decent Luigi uses his decent speed on the ground (or lack thereof when walking) before attempting any lightning fast sequence via a jab->blitzkrieg or a series of short hopped anything or a grounded cyclone or any other various tactic. In general, his slow aerial speed has nothing to do with his offensive play-style while on-stage.

Off-stage is a different story entirely. If the ROB has even the slightest advantage in positioning, he will have the greater ability to capitalize and blast Luigi for his lesser air-speed; I can agree with that (with certain provisions). But of course, like I said and Dull Razer implied/said (I can't remember - if I misinterpreted you, I apologize), ROB won't be doing this until slightly later.

Second of all, I'm going to have to emphasize Dull Razer's point here: Luigi is an early killer. He isn't someone who in a match of evenly witted and decent players requires the match to reach percentages upwards of 100. He doesn't need to use the increased effect of knockback at higher percentages to set up a gimp or edgeguard. His up-angled F-smash is straight up killer at around 90% on the vast majority of characters - even heavy weights. His shoryuuken is straight up killer at around 50% on the vast majority of characters (again, this is roughly the zone for even the heavy-weights).

Hence, the match-up's dependence on momentum in the early part of the match. Avoiding that dependency, however, one can surmise the contents of the following paragraph.

Assuming both characters are at 50% (a reasonable assumption - Luigi has strings, ROB has strings), Luigi will have the time to make attempts at KOing ROB almost unchallenged by retaliatory KO attempts via edge-guards (apparently what the argument is being based on - I'll assume that this is your earliest/most-reliable KO move) for roughly 50% (e.g. until the 100s of percent). This difference automatically gives Luigi a greater number of chances to KO ROB. This counteracts (not necessarily equivalently) the relative difficulty Luigi has at approaching ROB.

The momentum dependency is a different story for another time (unless you decide to actually read Dull Razer's post [again, Dull Razer, if I'm misconstruing you, don't hesitate to cut my head off :-P not in real life of course...])...

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
That^

You pretty much hit the nail on the head of what I was attempting to get across.

After ONE solid string, ROB is probably two fireballs away from getting KO'd via firepunch. After ONE solid string, and maybe...4-5 random aerials interspersed, or a D- or U-smash, ROB is at kill percent for the F-smash. Hands down, no questions asked. Because of this, Luigi does not NEED to have "string after string after string" of combos on ROB. At the lower percents, where Luigi CAN combo ROB, L's air speed and range is irrelevant due to the ability he has to **** ROB from the 0% range on to 60-70%. After this percentage is when ROB flies too far and the range/speed of Luigi becomes a hindrance. But, the 60-70% range is Shoryuken KO percentage, and only a few aerials that can be snuck in via pokes, away from F-smash KO percentage.

That's when ROB can capitalize. There isn't much else Luigi can do to ROB at 140%, that he couldn't do at 90%. You just throw in a U-smash or Throw KO possibility.

And that brings us back to the momentum argument. The pendulum shifts from Luigi's favor to ROB's favor after all that business. ROB (providing he racked up only minimal damage via camping if he went that route instead of trying to beat luigi to the combo opportunities) now has the ability to combo luigi until 50-70%. After that, there's not much else for ROB to do in the way of stringing things together.

That leaves us with this: ROB at a percentage that he can be KO'd at by two moves, ROB at a percent that Luigi can no longer "combo" him (which negates the lack of range/aerial speed), Luigi at a percent that is safe from ALL of ROB's outright KO moves/20-30% away from a solid edgeguarding/gimping opportunity.

Luigi will then be biding his time, working in and out, looking for his KO moves and slowly tacking on tidbits of damage which will open up the U-smash and B-/F- Throw (again, forgot which) KOs.

ROB will take Luigi's "backing off" as an opportunity to poke/camp to bring Luigi into the percent range where he is most easily edgeguarded, where he CAN take advantage of luigi's air speed.

In the event that ROB got the "jump" on Luigi, then simply reverse the order.

The whole match is a series of offensive-->****-->back off--> attempt to raise percent to ensure your chosen KO method / KO opponent--> get *****-->look for your character's chosen method of getting a KO. ROB= gimps, Luigi= KOs. Whoever effectively manages this ebb and flow, wins the matchup.

As Atash said, Luigi's ability to score outright KOs at early percents (90% is SOOO early for ROB) offsets the fact that he has trouble racking up damage PAST those early percents due to his air speed/range. He simply does not *need* to have that option available to him. Its all about momentum; whoever can make the other person play "catch-up" gains more numerical opportunities for 'early' kills via KOs (luigi) or edgeguards (ROB) during the time the other is playing "catch-up"- which offsets the inherent weaknesses of the character's to reliably damage one another to the nth degree past those percents.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
This matchup is definitely in ROBs favor. But not terribly. I lean heavily for 55:45 ROB, because it's definitely an easier matchup than Dedede, which I think is 50:50... If you don't avoid the jab shoryuken YOU WILL DIE AT 60%. Less on Halberd.

Trust me that this matchup is in ROBs favor. Every Luigi I've played against that wasn't BigLou's I've two stocked. Once the ROB learns how to avoid jab shoryuken and fsmash (until high percents[For luigi killing anyway... so like 100%]) the match tilts from even, in to his favor. Here the luigi has to make a lot more reads on the ROB's spacing options, where the rob simply has to roll away from a grounded luigi.

Conclusion: 55/45 ROB or 60/40 ROB
Unless any ROBs(ninjalink?) have played Boss then I'm going to pull the "locational/regional" card to assert my knowledge of the matchup :p

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
This matchup is definitely in ROBs favor. But not terribly. I lean heavily for 55:45 ROB, because it's definitely an easier matchup than Dedede, which I think is 50:50... If you don't avoid the jab shoryuken YOU WILL DIE AT 60%. Less on Halberd.

Trust me that this matchup is in ROBs favor. Every Luigi I've played against that wasn't BigLou's I've two stocked. Once the ROB learns how to avoid jab shoryuken and fsmash (until high percents[For luigi killing anyway... so like 100%]) the match tilts from even, in to his favor. Here the luigi has to make a lot more reads on the ROB's spacing options, where the rob simply has to roll away from a grounded luigi.

Conclusion: 55/45 ROB or 60/40 ROB
Unless any ROBs(ninjalink?) have played Boss then I'm going to pull the "locational/regional" card to assert my knowledge of the matchup :p
Roll away from a grounded luigi--> you eat a cyclone, get popped into the air. Low percents= there's your combo, Luigi. Higher percents? More tacked on damage, and possibly a fresh N-air kill if it pops you up high enough.

That being said, I still think its in ROBs favor to the tune of 55/45 or whatever.. but I still stick to my statement that its heavily CP dependant.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
Roll away from a grounded luigi--> you eat a cyclone, get popped into the air. Low percents= there's your combo, Luigi. Higher percents? More tacked on damage, and possibly a fresh N-air kill if it pops you up high enough.

That being said, I still think its in ROBs favor to the tune of 55/45 or whatever.. but I still stick to my statement that its heavily CP dependant.
ROB can CP Luigi much harder than Luigi can CP ROB.

You don't roll away at low percents, but at high percents it's the best option even if read.

And from the percents 65% to 120% -> Rolling away is "safe" compared to your other options where you lose a stock if read correctly, 10-15% damage is child's play. THIS MEANS YOU GET 3-6 *free* ESCAPES based on how well your opponent can read and juggle you. This forces Luigi to approach again -- NOT an easy task.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
I'll definitely give it this though, a ROB without luigi experience *will* get wrecked by the early kill moves if the luigi is smart enough to read a spot dodge or an air dodge. First time I played BigLou I lost all my stocks <100%

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I don't recall ever denying that Luigi kills mad early when given the chance. It is still a good point to make that he will not be able to effortlessly continue to rack up damage at higher percents should he not be able to kill quickly. I'm basically repeating what Dull said with "That's when ROB can capitalize. There isn't much else Luigi can do to ROB at 140%, that he couldn't do at 90%. You just throw in a U-smash or Throw KO possibility." or, rather, he was clarifying what I said in the first place. :p

In conclusion, I haven't said anything terribly contradictory to what everyone else has been restating lately and the past few posts (from today) cover things pretty well.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Indeed. Good points all around. Can we pin down a ratio "range" as in: "from ___ to __"

Also, list of CP's and Bans would be great. I needz 'em for when I get around to doing the matchup synopses. And, if anyone has anything to add- feel free to continue discussing.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
Indeed. Good points all around. Can we pin down a ratio "range" as in: "from ___ to __"

Also, list of CP's and Bans would be great. I needz 'em for when I get around to doing the matchup synopses. And, if anyone has anything to add- feel free to continue discussing.
55 - 60 in ROBs advantage.

ROB will enjoy Final Destination, Frigate Orpheon, and Rainbow Cruise.

Luigi will enjoy Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, and Halberd.

TEECO

Smash Ace
ROB's Advantages:
-Projectiles
-Range
-Better choice of CPs
-Hitting their shield can space ROB

ROB's Disadvantages:
-Big opponent
-Gets comboed very well
-Possibility to get KOed Quickly

Opponent's Advantages:
-Combo ability
-KO moves
-Quick moveset

-Recovery can be hurt
-ROB's CPs
-Range

ROB should be aware that he can take damage pretty easily if he makes the wrong move, or allows Luigi to make the right one. Try to keep spacing as well as possible (this goes for every single match up.) Use projectiles frequently.

How to do it:
Practice. Know your limits, and learn Luigi's moveset. Throw Ftilts often at Luigi to stay comfortable with your spacing. Dtilt will work as well.

Because of the friction Luigi doesn't have, you can be safe most of the time when he shields a hit of your up close. Be very offensive. A good grab game.

Get in close at low percentage to rack damage up.

How ROB can stop it:
This isnt a match were you have to pitch a tent overnight. But make sure you give him some lasers and gyros to taste. Spacing.

Counterpicks- Jungle Japes
Bans- Halberd
Preferred Neutral- Personally, FD or Lylat

Ratio:
55-45 ROB's Favor

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
by playing a few weegees......
I have concluded 45/55 ROB's favor.
It's pretty even because ROB can outcamp luigi and punish one of his recovery options (Down B from very low) wiht a spike.. It's also difficult for luigi to shield grab rob which is a huge help to the metal guy.

Luigi however can deal QUICK damage on rob by combos and can kill at 60-70% with Jab-Up B due to rob's large hitbox and blindspot. You can, however, avoid this by camping and poking with ftilt.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
So BigLou and I have been exploring this matchup some more and we've concluded it's 65:35 ROB once the ROB knows the matchup.

Sorry for the necro post, but this is the most relevant thread to this new information.

Top Bottom