• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pit Secondary Thread.

Coffee™

I need it....
There’s been a lack of new information in the boards (as usual) and I felt inclined to throw out another thread which should be of use to some of you. A couple of people have asked me before what the best secondary to a Pit main was and I honestly couldn't tell them a concrete answer. So, I took it upon myself to make this sort of pseudo guide or list as to which characters actually compliment Pit and his disadvantaged matchups. However, this is somewhat subjective upon my part and some of it is entirely opinionated but it should still prove to be a help to people.

First of all we'll take a look at what matchups give Pit trouble to begin with. (Yes it's a bit opinionated, get over it.)

Falco - 45:55
Wario - 40:60
Metaknight - 40:60
Olimar - 40:60
Marth - 40:60
Game & Watch - *
Each of these characters have their own specific advantages over Pit, some more significant than others. However, either way you look at them I'm sure at least one of these characters has caused you at least a decent amount of trouble when playing against them.

Falco can almost unarguably be considered a neutral matchup but his reflector and ability to outcamp Pit in this matchup in my opinion push it slightly in his favor. Wario kills Pit relatively early and his aerial spacing is somewhat problematic for Pit to deal with. Both Mk and Marth outrange him and with appropriate spacing can attack him without fear of punishment in addition Mk is also going to cause Pit trouble offstage. Olimar is just a pest in general. He out camps you, his Pikmin block your arrows....etc. All of them problems in their own unique way.

I'm adding G&W as a honorable mention as I don't believe he is a bad of a matchup for Pit at all, but many people believe he is, so I'm including him here anyway for the sake of those people. Keep in mind that all of these matchups are winnable for Pit and you should aim to learn them with the character, but c'mon who doesn't like easier matchups?

With that out of the way we can take a look now at which characters win their matchups versus these characters and to what extent they do so.

In addition I'll also add guides to each character underneath their respective sections.

Marth :marth:

Marth's Character Matchups:
Falco - 60:40
Wario - 60:40
Metaknight - 35:65
Marth - 50:50
Olimar - 60:40
Game & Watch - 60:40
What more can you ask for in a secondary? Only one bad matchup between both characters (a bad matchup for 7/8 of the characters in the game) and advantages in every matchup Pit is disadvantaged in aside from Marth himself where he obviously goes 50:50. Marth and Pit have clear cut differences between them but in turn they also have their similarities. Marth also isn't too hard to pick up and in turn aids you in improving your spacing with Pit.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=218194

Metaknight :metaknight:

Metaknight's Character Matchups:
Falco - 50:50
Wario - 50:50
Metaknight - 50:50
Marth -65:35
Here we have Metaknight, almost unarguably Pits best secondary (yea like this wasn’t obvious already) I say arguably as Marth has those advantageous matchups over Falco and Wario whereas MK goes roughly 50:50 with both of them. In turn MK does have the largest advantage over Marth out of any of Pits possible secondaries, in fact, he is the only character here with a direct advantage over Marth at all. In the end it all comes down to what characters you have the most trouble with. If you can handle Falco and Wario, but Marth gives you trouble then MK is obviously the best secondary for you. If it’s vice versa, then Marth is obviously the better secondary in that case. MK isn’t hard to pick up either and shares a lot of similarities to Pit. They’re both fairly light, have a multitude of multi-hitting moves, etc….

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=181827

Snake :snake:

Snake's Character Matchups:
Metaknight - 45:55
Marth - 60:40
Game & Watch - 50:50
I’ve seen Snake mentioned a lot as one of Pits better secondaries, but as the matchups stand this isn’t necessarily so. He goes even with most of Pits bad matchups and has advantageous matchups versus Game and Watch and Marth, however he still loses to Olimar and Falco by roughly the same amount and still slightly loses to MK which means he won’t cover everything. As a secondary he’s pretty but they’re some better choices out there.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162635

Wario: :warioc:

Wario's Character Matchups:
Game & Watch - 50:50
Wario is pretty interesting; he is advantaged or at least neutral in all of Pits bad matchups except Marth where they both share a disadvantageous matchup. Wario has a relatively steep learning curve, not to the extent of Pits but enough that it will take you a while before you’re playing him well enough to cover Pits bad matchups. In comparison to Paletuna’s servant, Wario is practically a complete opposite. He’s heavy, has great KO power and plays in an entirely different manner. He won’t be an ideal secondary for most people simply because of his awkward playstyle but the option is there and, it’s a great one.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225463

Donkey Kong :dk2:

Donkey Kong's Character Matchups
Wario - 40:60
DK isn’t one of Pits better secondaries but he does do well against most of the characters Pit has problems with. He shares the same matchup ratios versus Falco, Wario and Olimar but in turn is neutral in every other matchup and advantaged against Game & Watch. He’s somewhat similar to Wario in that he has good KO power and is pretty heavy. Alternatively to Wario he has a pretty easy learning curve.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=229189

R.O.B :rob:

R.O.B's Character Matchups
Metaknight - 35:65
Game & Watch - 35:65
R.O.B has advantageous matchups on Falco and Olimar while still maintaining 50:50s with Wario and Marth. However he takes a pretty big blow when it comes to facing MK and G&W as he loses quite a bit worse than Pit does. He is however the only other character besides Marth and Kirby that has an advantage on both Falco and Olimar. So if sword boy or the puffball don’t really suit your tastes then feel free to pick up the robot.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=232327

Kirby :kirby2:

Kirby's Character Matchups
Wario - 45:55
Metaknight - 45:55
Game & Watch - 40:60
I wouldn’t say Kirby is really a good secondary as he loses a lot of the same matchups that pit does. However, he does beat Falco as well as Olimar, two characters that are particularly annoying for Pit to deal with so he does offer some variety from other secondaries if you're looking for someone different.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=144039
Feel free to discuss if you feel someone should be listed as an adequate secondary or if anything else should be changed or whatever.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
you might wanna mention something about how since EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER uses meta knight, players are more likely to know what to do against a metaknight as opposed to more obscure chars

Afropony

Smash Lord
Snake vs. G&W is 60-40 Snake's advantage according to this.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175515
and the G&W boards seem to rate it as 65-35 Snakes Advantage.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=174763

I alwyas said Snake was a good secondary for Pit because I only ever thought of G&W, Marth and MK as being Pit's matchups that you might need to change character for.
Looking at this MK is obviously the best choice, here's how I would rate the list here.
1.MK
2.Marth
3.Snake
4.Wario

The other ones I wouldn't really be bothered to use.

DominusHaven

Smash Cadet
Diddy Kong is a pretty decent secondary for Pit considering he can fight off his worse matchups, G&W and MK but then again he has trouble with some of Pit's bad matchups too.. hmm..

Byuusan

Smash Journeyman
I'd say just use a character that most comfortable for you. Sometime the character that can go well against pit bad matchup just can't work with you due to playstyle and/or movement set.

For me Kirby is still my secondary so for me it a bonus b/c all the kirby moveset always the same.

Coffee™

I need it....
Diddy Kong is a pretty decent secondary for Pit considering he can fight off his worse matchups, G&W and MK but then again he has trouble with some of Pit's bad matchups too.. hmm..
Diddy Kong loses to Marth, Wario and Falco and at best goes even with MK and Olimar while he beats G&W. As a secondary he's really not that great.

DominusHaven

Smash Cadet
Diddy Kong loses to Marth, Wario and Falco and at best goes even with MK and Olimar while he beats G&W. As a secondary he's really not that great.
True. So I am guessing these are the main people that can be good secondaries with Pit, or are there still secondary options up in the air that may be added?

Coffee™

I need it....
True. So I am guessing these are the main people that can be good secondaries with Pit, or are there still secondary options up in the air that may be added?
These are just the best secondaries matchup wise from what I've seen but feel free to suggest others.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
Why would you need a secondary, none of these matches are too steep that you don't stand a chance, use your better character. If you are better with a different character, then they shouldn't be your secondary, but your main.

Use Pokemon Trainer (lulz) :pt:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Why would you need a secondary, none of these matches are too steep that you don't stand a chance, use your better character. If you are better with a different character, then they shouldn't be your secondary, but your main.

Use Pokemon Trainer (lulz) :pt:
Tell that to Gay Men Watch, which is clearly Pit's worst matchup, moreso than Broken MK. Maybe u should do more research before commenting, or get to know Pit more, and you'll clearly see what i mean.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
Tell that to Game and Watch, who is clearly Pit's worst matchup, worse than MK. Maybe you should do more research before commenting, or get to know Pit more, and you'll clearly see what I mean.
G&W isn't breaking the game for Pit. Whether he is the worst matchup is debatable, but regardless its not something you should drop pit for. If you can't work around any challenges facing your character, then don't use them. And sorry, but I don't see what you mean.

Top Bottom