• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improved Barrel-Cancel: Reverse 'Jump-Canceled' Barrel Cancel (With Video!)

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
This is a tactic for Barrel Canceling that I've never seen mentioned on the Diddy boards, and it's not even one I came up with (I was playing with DanGR when he told me to try it to see if it worked; credit goes to him if this isn't already discovered).

When your opponent throws a Banana back at you, if they threw it forward as you're approaching and you Barrel Cancel, the barrels will fly backward and explode behind you about 60% of the time. However, if you are running at your foe and you anticipate a Banana throw (or Turnip throw, or even just a basic attack), you can increase the accuracy of the barrels by RARing the Up-B. This will look like a normal Barrel Cancel except you're turned the opposite direction (which looks a lot like a Reverse Jump-Canceled U-Smash, hence the name). When the attack hits you, the barrels will fly forwards instead of backward, and will more likely hit them if they remain in front of you. This method does not slide you, however, so it cannot be used on Bananas on the ground unless you jump directly above them (IE, you can't slide into them reversed). I take this back; if you cancel it as soon as you jump, it will slide a little bit. Less than a regular Barrel Cancel, but it is a slide.

The control input on a Gamecube controller is this:
Dash > Backwards on the Control Stick > Jump > Up-B

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAgtLVXEPVY

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Good job dude.
Don't predict wrong though...and speak of the devil, your avatar has a barrel...
Heh, finally somebody noticed! I really like Barrel Canceling; that screenshot actually came from the very first time I tried it (on purpose). I was rather lucky :3

I'll add this to the Kongpendium :) (Seriously, though, this was DanGR's idea 100%. He doesn't main Diddy or anything, so I'm the vessel for this tech. Credit goes to him)

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
I thought everyone knew this already. o_0

Barrel cancelling is risky, "high risk, moderate reward" for me. Hardly use it, never remember about it in the midst of battle though, so it doesn't change things much. =/

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Barrel cancelling is risky, "high risk, moderate reward" for me. Hardly use it, never remember about it in the midst of battle though, so it doesn't change things much. =/
Well of course it's risky, but the whole point of this is to make it more "high risk, better-than-moderate reward" (since this'll really improve your chance of hitting your opponent). And it can be useful; I've killed quite a few unsuspecting people with it in tournaments before. You just have to mix it in deep, so they won't ever see it coming.

And to respond to someone else, yes, you really do have to predict this well; granted, it works on attacks also, so if they do something else with the Banana and attack you it'll explode in their face. Pretty much, don't do this at high percents xD

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
When I said "high risk, moderate reward" I was talking about the turnaround barrel cancel. Barrels aren't that great, its KO potential is the same of Uair or Fair at best. It's good if you want to get someone airborne, and there are better KO'ing options.

It is fun to use against people that think using the nanerz against you is a good idea, which is practically everyone.

TreK

Is "that guy"
*insert cookie here*

nice trick, but, just as normal barrel cancelling, i will always forget about it...

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Nice, I cant wait to try this.

I dont know if anyone has figured this out yet but I was able to run forwards and then float backwards while charging my barrels. I dont even know how I did it. I think I was trying to B reverse a Side-B and instead B reversed an Up-B causing me to float backwards while charging a barrel but I was unable to do it again. Anyone mind clarifying?

Also another question, if your hit during a barrel charge, do you take any knockback. Like lets say you eat a tippered Fsmash from Marth while attempting to Barrel Cancel, will the knockback be canceled?

ADHD

Smash Hero
^^^ No it won't, in fact the knockback will be even greater! You can't DI while you're knocked out of the barrels and in hit-stun. If you're talking about during the animation of pulling out the jet-pack, then no it will be the same as getting normally hit with a marth fsmash.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Yeah, so you still take knockback when youre hit while charging a barrel. What if you stop charging just before they hit you and actually start moving upwards, would you take any knockback or would it be like when you get hit during your Up-B offstage and you go into that animation?

EDIT: I figured out the answer to my other question. If you jump to B-reverse the Up-B, youll float backwards but still get the turnaround effect. Could be useful; retreating barrel cancels 0_o

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
^^^ No it won't, in fact the knockback will be even greater! You can't DI while you're knocked out of the barrels and in hit-stun. If you're talking about during the animation of pulling out the jet-pack, then no it will be the same as getting normally hit with a marth fsmash.
By the knockback being greater, do you just mean because of the lack of DI, or do you mean it's actually greater? I know if you're hit while charging smashes it's greater, but I didn't think that applied to charging specials.

ADHD

Smash Hero
By the knockback being greater, do you just mean because of the lack of DI, or do you mean it's actually greater? I know if you're hit while charging smashes it's greater, but I didn't think that applied to charging specials.
I mean because you can't DI. For some reason it won't allow you to aerial out of the stun.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
if only there was at least 75% chance of controlling this **** >_<. good find though im implementing it :3

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
I'll try it out but I've never been a big fan of the rocket barrel cancel. Might be a good surprise tactic.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Can you only do this with tap jump on? I can't seem to get the instant barrel effect when you cancel it with the barrels without it on.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Can you only do this with tap jump on? I can't seem to get the instant barrel effect when you cancel it with the barrels without it on.
I did it without tap jump. You just have to be really, really quick going from X or Y to B. It's hard-ish, but not difficult to put to muscle memory once you've got it.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
ive put this to use against snipa's ice climbers (sideb), greenace pickachu (tjolt), luisthepanda snake (ftilt), joey snake(ftilt) and i must say the barrel hit 75% of the time...the mindgames get intense though O-o im gonna stop using this :\ im using it as an offensive move lol

Top Bottom