• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spider-Manfia: (Game Over! Roles Posted)

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Complain about joke votes all you want but I don't care if people do them on Day 5, the vote is still the most powerful tool you have, swing it around baby.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Quick take my obviously literal example seriously.

Point being Kiki, joke votes are fine, especially at this stage in the game, they're going to spark discussion.

I don't care if they just throw votes on random, it's still pressure and the other person still has to respond in some way, *note not posting is still a response.*

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
If you just meant to say "joke votes are fine D1" you really shouldn't say "joke votes are fine D5," because then people might tend to misunderstand you. Or accuse you of doublespeak.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I think joke votes are fine in any and all definitive situations where it cause no potential threat to the town.

I believe it's fairly obvious not to joke vote someone if you're going to put them at L-1 L-2, that's just common sense.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
tom could be faking the restriction. just think that it's something we should keep in the back of our heads as the game progresses.

rockin what good would talking about characters do us? i think discussion on it would end up being too vague and if we moved to a nameclaim that'd end up useless too.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Are we seriously back to joke voting? No one learned anything from TLI Mafia I guess?

I'd vote Handorin but I don't really want to have to lift my vote on Marshy when he still hasn't anything substantial in response to my prod.
I'm not in TLI mafia, I have learned nothing.

Also, just your vote won't make him post any faster. It's not quite been 2 days yet from the start (from the time of this post), and you are already begging him to post something epic. Marshy obviously has something to do today and posted to subscribe to remind him to post.

So what's holding you back now.

What's the matter, scared? /wolf

Handorin

Smash Hero
tom could be faking the restriction. just think that it's something we should keep in the back of our heads as the game progresses.

rockin what good would talking about characters do us? i think discussion on it would end up being too vague and if we moved to a nameclaim that'd end up useless too.
FU ninja

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Agreed, but it will only get us anywhere if he forgets the restriction (and doesn't get mod-killed/ warned for it) Until then, any more discussion on the topic is not helpful. (Or should I say NOT HELPFUL!!!? :laugh:)

Mostly agreed. If we speculate on which characters might be in the game, that is probably not going to help us. (I speculate that Doc. Ock is in the game. It is very likely true. How has this helped us?) However, if we manage to link some characters to likely roles... that could prove helpful. (For example, if Venom or Carnage turned out to be in the game, they could be a likely role for SK.) However, you are right in that such discussion is likely to be vague and unsure, and could hurt us rather than help us. As for nameclaim... I think its too early.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
To Marshy talking about eventually moving to a name-claim, I just want to point out that I don't believe it would be worth-while in this game. There are no clearly-defined lines between the town and the mafia in this game, as we are ALL villains. To do a name-claim at any point really in the game would not help us at all, and would likely give the scum some ideas on who is a good target for night kills. I know we aren't considering doing it right now, but while it was brought up I felt I should point out that this is a game designed against it.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
I'm not in TLI mafia, I have learned nothing.
You of all people should have learned something from that. I actually think comparing TLI D1 to this game D1 is pretty interesting, but seeing how that game is still ongoing it's probably improper (and potentially misleading) to talk about it in any real depth. Suffice it to say I think the joke voting phase went on for way too long in that game.

The only reason I'm not voting for you now is now you're not the only one who seems to think we should still be joke voting.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
There are no clearly-defined lines between the town and the mafia in this game, as we are ALL villains.
I was about to jump on you for this until I reread the first post.

There, of course, would only be one possibility. The plan was too perfect, the circle too tight. The circle could not be compromised... but it could be undermined within. Someone, possibly a group, is working to undermine the good things you are doing for the side of evil!
We're the "Sinister Seventeen". This sounds like we're all supposed to be evil and some fellow evil people have betrayed us. But then we have this:

Spider-Man's allies in this game are the mafia. Most of the villains are the town.
Um.... In this game, the villans of the spidey universe is the town, and spiderman's allies are the mafia. I don't see how you could get a different conclusion.
I admit I thought the good guys were mafia at first since I only skimmed the first post before signing up (EE said if I joined his game he'd join mine, so I did). But rereading that it doesn't seem like that's the case.

Medi, Nick: did you guys misread the first post or do you think there's something I'm missing? If the latter, did mentos trip up or is he just misreading?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
I agree with KiKi about toning the joke voting down now. People have started to make serious posts/points and they are getting lost amidst the joking chatter.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Uh it should've toned down a while ago, it usually tones down after D1 IRL, though kevin has a point as long as they aren't any harm to the town, it doesn't really matter. Also mind you, macman, it was L/2, not L-5, you were just looking at it in the wrong light.

I think it's definitely too early for a name claim, *points at dinomafia*

Handorin

Smash Hero
You of all people should have learned something from that. I actually think comparing TLI D1 to this game D1 is pretty interesting, but seeing how that game is still ongoing it's probably improper (and potentially misleading) to talk about it in any real depth. Suffice it to say I think the joke voting phase went on for way too long in that game.

The only reason I'm not voting for you now is now you're not the only one who seems to think we should still be joke voting.
I don't think we should still be joke voting. I don't expect people to follow what I do.

My vote is mine, and I can do as I please with it. Maybe you aren't taking my votes serious enough. Maybe they are a joke.

MexicanBJ

Smash Journeyman
Quick take my obviously literal example seriously.

Point being Kiki, joke votes are fine, especially at this stage in the game, they're going to spark discussion.

I don't care if they just throw votes on random, it's still pressure and the other person still has to respond in some way, *note not posting is still a response.*
ok......so was your vote on me a "joke vote"

it's kinda hard to tell seeing that there was neither a joke or a reason attached......

and if it is serious and like you said, supposed to put pressure and lure out some type of response, how the hell am i supposed to respond without you giving any reason

and could you please tell me exactly how you would have "read" me not responding to your vote with no explanation.

Handorin

Smash Hero
ok......so was your vote on me a "joke vote"

it's kinda hard to tell seeing that there was neither a joke or a reason attached......

and if it is serious and like you said, supposed to put pressure and lure out some type of response, how the hell am i supposed to respond without you giving any reason

and could you please tell me exactly how you would have "read" me not responding to your vote with no explanation.
No response to something is still a response.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Medi, Nick: did you guys misread the first post or do you think there's something I'm missing? If the latter, did mentos trip up or is he just misreading?
Ahhh... I'd misread the first post as well. However, my point still (sort of ) holds. The mafia are helping spiderman (after all, the trapster was caught in a giant web), so they are (at least temporarily) spidey's allies. Also, perhaps some of the mafia are really superheroes impersonating villans. Or, perhaps they're just traitors. Still, you raise a good point, one I hadn't considered.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I admit I thought the good guys were mafia at first since I only skimmed the first post before signing up (EE said if I joined his game he'd join mine, so I did). But rereading that it doesn't seem like that's the case.

I understood the first post. I just didn't express myself clearly.

Spider-Man's allies may be villains, but they are still his allies. They are the mafia.

However, you're right that not every villain is town. That was an error on my part.

No response to a joke vote at this stage in the game is entirely appropriate, so I don't see what you get out of that particular interaction.

Yes, joke votes sometimes provoke responses. However, they do so much more infrequently than real votes. So, Handorin, if you agree that joke votes are inferior to real votes (as you seem to), and you're a townie (as you should want to seem), you should place real votes, to elicit more meaningful response.

Doing anything else is at best a poor strategic choice, and at worst an outright distraction.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
No Good Spidey-Lovers:

junglefever (2): Nothing Rhymes With Circus, Handorin

Eor (1): Tom

Marshy (1): Kirby King

MexicanBJ (1): KevinM

With 17, it takes 9 to lynch!

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
so, just for the sake of bringing something to the main discussion, what is everyone's view upon what our resistance possibly is (and I ain't talking about names, I mean types, unless you want to name them). like, are they the anti hero type or just one of those double agent characters?
There are no clearly-defined lines between the town and the mafia in this game, as we are ALL villains.
How can you be sure of that, Mentos? Even if we are all villains, I can think of two or three Spider-Man "villains" who could pass as "evil" but are most likely town in this game. There are a number of villains who are fairly independent of Spider-Man throughout the series and sometimes ally with him for the greater good. There are also some who started out villains and then turned good, and then there are some who are "villains" only by popular misconception... like half of the symbiotes. Similarly, I'm fairly convinced that Spider-Man himself is just the lynch mechanism in the game, but we will determine this when we see more lynches and night-kills.

More specifically, wouldn't it be fitting to have Black Cat in the mafia? I could see her as a mafia stalker, or a mafia role-cop/thief. I don't know how much Evil Eye knows about Toxin, but he would be another great choice for the Spidey-aligned mafia. Venom is another questionable role, and we will know more in my opinion when we find out if Mac Gargan (The Scorpion) is in the game... while I think the best candidate for a Serial Killer is Carnage.

There are a number of town-aligned villains who are totally awesome and have cool powers, so I think the town might end up being pretty stacked. Cool beans. But I'm not going to go into any detail about that because speculation specifically about the town is ******** and backwards.

The real question in my mind, however, is which villains would Evil Eye be inclined to put into the game? I have my own theories but outing them would only help people fake-claim.

I don't think we should still be joke voting. I don't expect people to follow what I do.

My vote is mine, and I can do as I please with it. Maybe you aren't taking my votes serious enough. Maybe they are a joke.
Let me get this straight... you think joke voting at this point is anti-town, but you are still going to joke? Your vote is yours and you're going to act independently of what you feel is best for the town just because you're your own man? That sounds very similar to what KevinM said to me in Harry Potter mafia when I told him that he was being useless and he responded (rightly, I might add) that he felt no need to scumhunt, no need to do what was best for the town. He was independent! Why would he do what he knows is best for town when he isn't town?

Handorin, you are going to become exceedingly unbearable if you continue to say one thing is best for town and then immediately do the exact opposite.

Marshy, I'm glad to see you're alive, but I know you can contribute more than that.

Still waiting for Sharpevil to answer my discussion questions I posed to him.

Still waiting for Eor to come back and answer my questions I posed a while ago. If you're reading this now and considering still staying quiet, Eor, just fucking answer them and get it over with. If you've just gone and left the game for two days at a time then its going to be a long game. As far as I've seen, everything you've said so far as been half-informed and half-assed.

Sharpevil

Smash Rookie
@Sharpevil: I'm curious to hear what you think about the game so far. Is it very different than the games you've played on other sites? Is the pacing much different? Do we put any less or more logic into our votes? Do you have any questions? Do you find anything suspicious yet? Did anything that someone said spark your interest but you don't it's been addressed enough?
This game is very different from the werewolf games I used to play on my old forum. Back then, a day was a day, a night was a night, and you didn't have to worry about serial killers or executioners or any of that jazz. It was humans, seers, angels, and werewolves. Also, there were no joke votes. You would vote, and you generally wouldn't take it back. The whole thing was more of an excuse for the gm to write a short story.

I'm used to the first day's votes being a shot in the dark, so I'm not exactly sure what's suspicious. Generally you would gain personal suspicions through AIM chats, but now those are against the rules, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Can't do a big reply since I'm at work on my phone I'm not supposed to be using, but I wanted to clarify what I meant a bit. While there may be some who may seem more likely to be town, it is not like say HP mafia, where the characters meant to be mafia are clear cut, but more like sleepover where there weren't such clear distinctions. And as we saw in that game, a name claim didn't even slightly help.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
This game is very different from the werewolf games I used to play on my old forum. Back then, a day was a day, a night was a night, and you didn't have to worry about serial killers or executioners or any of that jazz. It was humans, seers, angels, and werewolves. Also, there were no joke votes. You would vote, and you generally wouldn't take it back. The whole thing was more of an excuse for the gm to write a short story.

I'm used to the first day's votes being a shot in the dark, so I'm not exactly sure what's suspicious. Generally you would gain personal suspicions through AIM chats, but now those are against the rules, so I'm at a bit of a loss.
Well, we have to substitute the illegal AIM chats with general thread discussion to have enough talk to determine who rubs us the wrong way. We have about two weeks per game day, which is definitely enough time if all parties are as active as they should be.

Joke votes are just used to get some substance out there so we can start talking. In fact, it would probably be more healthy for the game/town if in future games we tried to "random vote" instead of "joke vote." That way people wouldn't take it too far or make it last too long.

I guess you don't have any suspicions yet? Has anyone done anything that sticks out in your mind, yet?

@Yaya: What do you think about the confusing spill about villain town vs. spider-mafia? Was it a bad thing? Did anyone look suspicious or do you blame anyone for anything?

@KevinM: how do you respond to what MexicanBJ said about your unexplained prod vote? What do you expect him to say, besides "I'm confused, what am I supposed to say?" Did you get what you were looking for?

@Handorin: Do you think you're starting to get good reads on anyone? How do you feel about Mediocre? And how do you feel about Junglefever?

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
@KiKi, Marshy, Medi, Eor: What do you guys think about name-claims and role-claims in this game? Do you think there is a point where we should mass name-claim? Do you think there are many pros to mass name-claiming? What about role-claiming? In Harry Potter mafia, on the day that I wanted a mass role-claim, I was silenced and unable to talk all day, and subsequently, I feel we made a major mistake by waiting too long... in fact, it was too late when I was finally able to suggest it the next day. Also, what kind of independent roles do you worry we have to deal with in this game, based on the games we've played at SWF or based on your knowledge of Spider-Man?

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Hey also, just a thought:

To those of you who are working on 10 posts per page, I would recommend going to your options and changing it to 40. It makes things easier to follow, in my opinion, because you have more information at your hands without having to change pages.

Handorin

Smash Hero

Let me get this straight... you think joke voting at this point is anti-town,

No. But neither do I believe it to be a stage of the game as some think. Just because a majority of the people have started becoming more serious does not mean everyone does.

but you are still going to joke? Your vote is yours and you're going to act independently of what you feel is best for the town just because you're your own man? That sounds very similar to what KevinM said to me in Harry Potter mafia when I told him that he was being useless and he responded (rightly, I might add) that he felt no need to scumhunt, no need to do what was best for the town. He was independent! Why would he do what he knows is best for town when he isn't town?
Right. I vote how I feel like I should vote. We shouldnt be expected to follow the crowd. If a lynch is happening, I don't need to be forced to change my vote from who I think is scum to someone who I think is less likely scum. If I feel it is beneficial to the town, then I will vote with the rest. This doesnt mean 'do not scum hunt' like what you think kevinm implied.

Handorin, you are going to become exceedingly unbearable if you continue to say one thing is best for town and then immediately do the exact opposite.
k.

@Handorin: Do you think you're starting to get good reads on anyone?

Yes. Starting is just the beginning of the process though.

How do you feel about Mediocre?
Unloved.
I mean, just posting some common sense type stuff.

And how do you feel about Junglefever?
Playing it safe atm.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
@KiKi, Marshy, Medi, Eor: What do you guys think about name-claims and role-claims in this game? Do you think there is a point where we should mass name-claim? Do you think there are many pros to mass name-claiming? What about role-claiming? In Harry Potter mafia, on the day that I wanted a mass role-claim, I was silenced and unable to talk all day, and subsequently, I feel we made a major mistake by waiting too long... in fact, it was too late when I was finally able to suggest it the next day. Also, what kind of independent roles do you worry we have to deal with in this game, based on the games we've played at SWF or based on your knowledge of Spider-Man?
I know next to nothing about Spiderman, so while I imagine a Spiderman fan would be better able to make educated guesses about how the flavor would influence the game, I can't really do that. (Not that it's ever mattered before.)

Claiming: any sort of claim is presumably useless today, because I give EE enough credit to have constructed a game that does not break due to a mass claim D1 (or later). Assuming everyone in this game is indeed a "villain" flavor-wise (and from your post it sounds like there are some villains who aren't always villains, so even then) it seems to me a name claim will be at most marginally useful. Even if scum are all heroes or clearly conflicted villains we still have to worry about fake name claims and red herrings. At this point in the game I think we'd really just be hinting at who might have a valuable role.

A role claim has the same problems in terms of revealing valuable townies that a name claim might, except, well, it's sort of guaranteed. If nothing else I think it could be useful to let some people (trackers/watchers) do their stuff for a Night or few and try to trip up contradictory role claims later. My only experience with a (partial) role claim (SLJ) was that it seemed like it would have gotten town the victory before any other faction would have won, which is really the only criteria I cared about.

So: no to any kind of claim D1. If town is getting its *** kicked sufficiently hard a few Days down the line I'd probably support claiming, but lacking a fully fleshed out hypothetical I have trouble speculating in any more detail than that. (For example, in TMNT name claiming was a pretty obvious move since town could auto-clear four people; here I don't know if we could count on something like that.) If nothing else claiming later gives us the ability to build up suspicions and have those more suspicious people claim earlier, which can be an important advantage.

In terms of independent roles, the standard two seem to be survivor and SK. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both. I'm doubting there's a jester since those seem to have gone somewhat out of fashion around here. I don't have any reason to suspect a cult and even if that and/or the other three are around I don't really "worry" about them unless I think mafia's been wiped out and the game's not over.

Also, if you're using anything other than 40ppp you're a big fat n00b face. Stop it.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
coolio. nick to be clear i agree that talking more about the supposed restriction is fruitless at this point.

nameclaiming....meh. if i had to decide now i'd conclude that it'd just end up being worthless. i don't think there are many pros to nameclaiming. i've been trying to ignore the confusing stuff people've brought up when it comes to the mafia being spider-man and his friends and have just been thinking that everyone is a bad guy. ee's last game was broken in large part due to the nameclaim and i think it's obvious that the sinister seventeen was created to prevent that here.

when it comes to role claiming sure. i was worried about being forced to roleclaim all game during potter mafia up until i recruited handumbledore. even then i didn't know what to do for my scumbuddy. i think it should be near the endgame if we do it though.

also! i think if we ever decide to name/role/bothclaim then we should do that thing ronike suggested in potter mafia where you list the top 3 players you'd like to claim then everyone goes by order. if it hadn't been for safeclaims (which i think more mods should give to obvious bad guys on swf) then we may've been screwed and town would've won through nameclaim again.

dunno much about spider man but i'm guessing there's an sk because there's been one in almost every game.

speaking of which i really doubt there's an executioner. that role has appeared once out of over 20 games on here i think. i'm not worrying about it later when i vote people unless there's more evidence obviously.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
No Good Spidey-Lovers:

junglefever (2): Nothing Rhymes With Circus, Handorin

Eor (1): Tom

MexicanBJ (1): KevinM

With 17, it takes 9 to lynch!

MexicanBJ

Smash Journeyman
yes i understand that.

which is WHY im asking the last question i am

what would you think of such a response (a no response), especially when it's a no response to a vote with no reason

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I didn't say I never had a reason for my vote, it's a serious one and it's because i find you suspicious. Maybe it's because your new but I dislike the way you've played day 1. That's why there is a vote on you from me. You want it off, tell me some of your opinions on the game instead of feigning activity by asking little questions about the terminology (which no offense you should have somewhat familiarized yourself with before the game) used toDay.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I would like to hear a lot more from Yaya, Circus, and especially Eor. Would appreciate a mod prod on any/all of them if applicable.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
I didn't say I never had a reason for my vote, it's a serious one and it's because i find you suspicious. Maybe it's because your new but I dislike the way you've played day 1. That's why there is a vote on you from me. You want it off, tell me some of your opinions on the game instead of feigning activity by asking little questions about the terminology (which no offense you should have somewhat familiarized yourself with before the game) used toDay.
By the way you say it, it doesn't seem like Mexican has been really any different than Nicholas, other than just your personal preference of newbies.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
And a no response to a vote directed right at you with no indication of it being a joke vote would be an odd play.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
It would be avoiding it all together, I think (in my opinion anyway) it woul dhave the same voice as just ignoring it and posting anyway.

Top Bottom