• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Week 7 Matchup: Diddy Kong

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I love Wario here, because he basically shuts down all of Diddy's banana game between his aerial tendencies and the Bite. 60:40 Wario IMO.

Discuss.

OverLade

Smash Hero
What diddy can do in this matchup is basically hold bananas on the ground, run from Warios aerials, and throw bananas at wario as he lands to get damage.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Diddy limits wario to float where he wants, and that's why it's even. You can't just aircamp, because diddy doesn't feel like approaching. He also has two death combos on wario: The side b footstool thing on metaknight, and grab release > dair over the edge. You can trip combo into the grab release or naner lock. 55:45 in warios favor.

YagamiDark

Smash Journeyman
Diddys got a tough time killing Wario, but Wario gets kills pretty easy. I'd say ATM its like 55:45 Wario, but I think Wario users should learn to use bananas (Use Z to airdodge to catch bananas he throws midair, etc) and then maybe it could go to 60:40

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Trust me.... I can use bananas really really well, but it doesn't prevent Diddys from using them better.

And ADHD is right. Although it's hard for them to do a lot of their banana game b/c we're airborne so much, they can really limit our movement with banana/peanut camping.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Just eat em. 8D

But yea, I agree. It's pretty even. ADHD has summarized it really well.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
This matchup is perennially easier if you keep them to one banana. It also prevents them from nana locking into a spike.

Padô

Smash Lord
I LOVE playing against diddy's, eating bananas is circunstancial, eating bananas while diddy is glide tossing you isnt a good idea but eating'em while he pulls em out is an excelent choice.
Wario's will have a hard time KO'ing Diddy BUT Diddy will have the worst time ever because his aerials will be stale and we wont be staying on the ground too much.
The EG with bike angaint diddy is beautiful, and we can easily gimp him.
Btw Diddy can combo you if you get nanered and thats not nice and ITS GOING TO happen since nanerz got GODLY priority.

55:45 I might say or 60:40 Wario's Favor.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Here is some super important information in this match-up:

While holding a banana, you can still d-tilt if you crawl!

AMAZING, I KNOW!

solecalibur

Smash Master
Just eat em. 8D

But yea, I agree. It's pretty even. ADHD has summarized it really well.

When eatting them make sure Diddy isnt throwing a banana short there either

A . Setting up Banana Combo

Or

B. Lureing you to eat the Banana so they get a free shot on yeh

does banana knock wario off his bike?
Your bike can run over the Banana no problem if they throw it at you in the correct postion I beilive they can

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Fair off stage helps. And one minute farts off stage kill at like 80%. 60% if 1:30 farts I think.

And it is only 55-45 on neutrals. It is much worse on norfair, jungle japes, rainbow cruise, (Maybe brinstar).

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I always called them "smart farts" :)

I'm curious, does anybody ever intentionally leave the bike in the center of the stage to block bananas and increase the hitlag on Diddy's moves to make them easier to punish? Obviously you wouldn't do this at a higher percent in case you'll need it for recovery. It also means you can soon have access to wheels to interrupt Diddy's ground flow.

I haven't really tried it, but it seems alright in theory.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
The problem with it in this case as that bananas bounce on destructible objects, so they just give him more options/shenanigans to do.

Also, they're no longer smart farts, Wobbles, that's like... so 6 months ago.

Tiny Waft > Poot > Half Waft > Full Waft is what the cool kids use.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Guess I'm living in the past then :) Do you have a catchy name for the nearly full waft?

Seems that if banans bounces it'll help force Diddy into the air where Wario has more advantage, but I lack experience in the matchup so I'll take your word for it. I don't want to be unnecessarily risky at Devastation this weekend after all.

By the way, I saw reference to an "instant wipeout" with the bike; I want to start using it to edgeguard more often, so that sounds kind of handy. Sorry I'm such an ignoramus, I only recently re-entered Brawl and I just abandoned my MK for pure Wariosity.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Guess I'm living in the past then :) Do you have a catchy name for the nearly full waft?

Seems that if banans bounces it'll help force Diddy into the air where Wario has more advantage, but I lack experience in the matchup so I'll take your word for it. I don't want to be unnecessarily risky at Devastation this weekend after all.

By the way, I saw reference to an "instant wipeout" with the bike; I want to start using it to edgeguard more often, so that sounds kind of handy. Sorry I'm such an ignoramus, I only recently re-entered Brawl and I just abandoned my MK for pure Wariosity.
The thing is that the bouncing banana will set Diddy up to use one of his best tools against us more, his fair. It safely outranges all our aerials.

The instant wipeout involves running off the edge and then immediately using Side-B in the opposite direction to crash it into the edge, causing you to wipeout and leaving it on stage right within pickup range (you land on your feet). This lets you grab it and quickly Cstick Dthrow or Upthrow it to pressure your opponent, making them easier to read and punish, if the bike doesn't already hit them or gimp them outright. It's most effective to use when you've hit them a good distance offstage as it gives you a lot of time to set it up, but you can use it at other times as well.

napZzz

Smash Hero

..............wobbles plays brawl? :0

I dont know much about this matchup...but cant wario win through some heavy air camping to avoid banana's?

I've seen thing slike sonics spring hit diddy's upb and make him do that falling thing, is there any way any of wario's attacks do that? I think un charged waft does it, but thats useless. Maybe the first hits of dair or nair?

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Diddy's over-B can be grab gimped like Snake/Sonic/G&W after he uses his kick/hump attack.

Like, if he's recovering at ground level, stand at the edge. If he kicks, shield grab. If he latches on, grab after he attacks. Can't be done if he jumps off you.

Another SUPER IMPORTANT, NON-SITUATIONAL tip.

FattyFatFatso

Smash Apprentice
55:45 Wario. Having played both Le Thien and Gnes, it is proven that a smart Diddy can shut down (not limit) Wario's air game. However, learning to grab bananas mid thrown and avoiding be pushed into ground bananas makes the game much easier.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
how do people feel about eating the bananas as soon as they are thrown. Most diddy players will throw a banana to start the match, so i usually run over, full jump up and intercept it. At this point they can either toss another banana or go to hit you. If they hit you, thats fine, you take 10 damage or w/e, but now they have no bananas on the stage.

W/o bananas wario absolutely dominates diddy, making it very hard for them to do anything other than pot shot damage with dash attacks and the like. Keep on top of them at all times, because diddy's fail under pressure. When you see them go to toss another banana grab and throw if theres a platform in the way or just fsmash, then turn around and immediately eat the banana.

I think effectively keep NO bananas on the stage is better than grabbing them and trying to fight fire with fire. If you get one throw off thats fine, but in reality, diddy will find a way to get the bananas back in his control, and diddy with too many bananas just turns into a complete camp fest, usually with you losing.

How do you guys feel about that?

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
Surprisingly I actually gave you that advice OBM. I was that guy at the WPI tournament who was sitting behind you when you were playing that really good diddy (forgot his name). I said "I hear you play a pretty mean Wario. Eat the nanners". You decided not to listen to some random person and stayed G&W.

So yes, I fully agree with that advice.

Also, someone said you beat him as Wario in friendlies later? Is that true?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Diddy can do fine against Wario without naners, though he wouldn't win, of course. His fair and bair are great for spacing and brickwalling, and his dtilt is better than all our ground options, so they will eventually separate us and get those naners anyway. I've noticed however, that they're a lot more likely to be complacent with one banana than they are to remain with 0 bananas, meaning, eat them, but leave one on the field, b/c they will be less likely to focus on pulling another. It is a lot easier to catch/control one banana than it is two, and you will go unpunished for many things when they don't have their second projectile lying about.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
actually what ended up happening was i had to play him in tournament for third place. My set with him was so helpless with gw (cuz gw can't do anything against diddy) that i decided to switch to wario and i ended up beating him, which is ironic that you had mentioned that lol.

the reason i probably blew the idea off in the first place was because every diddy main i had talked to about the subject prior to that suggested that it was a bad idea to eat the bananas considering the lag. However, as of late, i've realized that its simply way more important to get the bananas off the stage and you can minimize the amount of damage you take by eating them in the air just after they are tossed up.

px - the best part about that is, yeah, they might be able to hit you away with tilts or aerials, but unless your at really high percents, you'll be able to catch up to them. This means they'll be stuck in some kind of lag while tossing the banana up and you can grab/throw them and then get rid of the banana while they are coming back. you have to keep in mind that you can eat the bananas much faster than they can throw them, so the reverse doesn't really apply.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wario wins 60:40 or so. Ask ADHD :)

Sorry Wyatt, it was gay, BUT IT WAS SO FUN!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He only wins that much if wario gets the lead first... :dizzy:
Dang BUT THEN I ALSO HAVE BRINSTAR!

But yeah, both characters are supposed to camp the other one back with the lead. It's really silly.

Top Bottom