• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion: Week 1- Final Destination & Battlefield

Landry

Smash Ace
We'll get started with two neutrals. When scoring the stage remember that 10 is a a perfect stage for ROB and 1 is a stage ROB must avoid. Go!

-Format-

Positives-

Negatives-

Characters to Bring Here-

Characters to Avoid Here-

Strategies-

Other-

Rating-

EDIT: Now using TEECO's format

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Stage Name: Final Destination

Pros: Big, allows for camping, ROB lives a long time

Cons: Big, lets others live long too, background that makes me seasick

Good CP against: Umm, Jigglypuff, Snake, MK (Not really sure too much)

Other: This stage is huge, but it lets both of you live longer. People like GaW, DK, and Wario will live ****ing forever here. If you're looking for space, go to Japes, not FD

Score (out of 10): 7/10

Stage Name: Battlefield

Pros: Nice Average size stage, platforms, space under stage, lots of aerial room

Cons: smaller (you die sooner), ROB gets stage *****

Good CP against: Falco (Rainbow Cruise and Frigate are better IMO), fastfallers

Other: If you do for some reason counterpick here, stay under the platforms. Characters **** ROB on platforms so much more than vice versa.

Score (out of 10): 5-6/10

Landry

Smash Ace
Stage Name: Final Destination

Pros: Suits ROBs play style very well. Pick an end, camp it, shoot lazers and gyros, win. FD has a larger than average horizontal blast zone, which is good because it allows ROB to recover from very far off the stage.

Cons: Characters that have good recoveries will live as long as you are (due to the blast zone). Character with projectiles that come out faster than yours will have an advantage.

Good CP against: Snake, MK, Marth, big characters in general

Other: Don't ever, ever take a Diddy here. His banana game will beat your camping game all day.

Score (out of 10): 7.5/10

Stage Name: Battlefield

Pros: Plenty of space for you to maneuver in the air. Usmash, Utilt and Nair all **** anyone on a platform.

Cons: Bigger characters jabs/tilts/smashes will go through platforms. Not a ton of room to camp. MK can glide under the stage.

Good CP against: Spacies, Pikachu, Wario, smallish characters

Other: Snake owns this stage. Explosions from his C4 and nades will go through the platforms. Also his Utilt kills REALLY early from the highest platform. Also bad against MK, is tornado and aerials dominate the platforms.

Score (out of 10): 5/10

TEECO

Smash Ace
Stage Name - Final Destination

Pros
-Easiest Neutral stage to camp on
-Gimpable edge is not a factor for ROB (unless you're an idiot)
-No platforms to be caught over
-A lot of space

Cons
-Longer CG range (DDD)
-Largest of blast zones, making KOing a bit harder

Characters to Bring Here (Good neutral for these characters)
-ICs
-MK
-Marth
-Mario
-Pkmn Trainer
-Kirby
-Luigi
-Wolf
-DK
-Peach
-Olimar

Characters to Avoid Here
-Falco
-Diddy Kong
-Pikachu
-DeDeDe

Score 7-8/10

EDIT:

How about this format for further information?

Positives-

Negatives-

BEST Characters to Bring Here-

WORST Characters to Avoid Here-

Strategies-

Other-

Rating-

RE-EDIT:

Stage: Battlefield

Positives
-Platforms make getting Uptilts and Usmashes a bit easier
-Really easy to move around the ledge and under the stage

Negatives
-Platforms may also help the opponent
-Platforms only make ROB's blindsopt beneath him even worse

Characters to Bring Here
-Falco
-DeDeDe
-Pikachu
-Diddy Kong

Characters to Avoid Here
-Marth
-DK
-MetaKnight
-Game and Watch
-Snake

Other

Rating 6/10

TEECO

Smash Ace
Cool man glad I could help.

I thought we were going to pick a character or two each week and discuss the stages to take them to/avoid and that are neutral to them. Strategies against them, and a summary of what to expect etc.
Kinda like a character discussion, but only in depth of the stage choices.

It's still early and can be changed but it's up to you though since you chose this project.
If you need any help, I'm your man.

Landry

Smash Ace
Cool man glad I could help.

I thought we were going to pick a character or two each week and discuss the stages to take them to/avoid and that are neutral to them. Strategies against them, and a summary of what to expect etc.
Kinda like a character discussion, but only in depth of the stage choices.

It's still early and can be changed but it's up to you though since you chose this project.
If you need any help, I'm your man.
The problem with that is that it's too much like character discussion. It's sorta included in character discussion. I think this is the best way to determine which stages are good for ROB. I dunno, we'll see how it goes. If this doesn't pan out we could always mix it up.

TEECO

Smash Ace
The problem with that is that it's too much like character discussion. It's sorta included in character discussion. I think this is the best way to determine which stages are good for ROB. I dunno, we'll see how it goes. If this doesn't pan out we could always mix it up.
Word up.

The thing I like about the Individual chracter idea is the simplicity of finding the best options of a CP/Ban for a certain character that you're having trouble with, wondering about, or what ever the case may be.

But like you said, we'll see how it goes.

TEECO

Smash Ace
Sudai has a pretty good thread for character specific CPing: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196732

It could use some updating/re-doing. The more I think about it that's a different project entirely. Maybe someone wants to pick it up?
I see where you're coming from Landry, both projects ftw though.

I really want to see the Defragmentaion thread(or one like it) finished. It's so fvcking orthodox lol.

I would deffinately pitch in to remake/finish/re-do/update it.

Sudai

Stuff here
If someone wants to take over Defragmentation, please do. It's the only project I've started on the ROB boards that I regret not finishing before I quit. I've always felt that stages should be discussed on a per-character basis for ROB, but w/e. This isn't the place for that. You guys should take idle chatter about the way this or similar projects are run to the actual stage discussion thread, defragmentation, or somewhere similar since it seems like it'd be more suited to be in one of those places.

Landry

Smash Ace
Alright, everyone keep in mind this project is still going in parallel to the defrag. They'll both be good resources when completed. More input on FD and BF would be appreciated.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
About to give my 2 cents, but there's no way I can give stages a score. Norfair is fantastic vs Dedede but not so hot against MK...

Landry

Smash Ace
About to give my 2 cents, but there's no way I can give stages a score. Norfair is fantastic vs Dedede but not so hot against MK...
It's not really supposed to be that specific. Just score it based of whether or not you think the stage itself is good for ROBs playstyle. You can list some characters not to bring there, but this is just supposed to be general impressions.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
FINAL DESTINATION:

Positives-
* Long and flat which enables camping uninhibited by terrain/obstacles
* No platforms which can be used to molest ROB from underneath
* Lip can at times trap players with vertical trajectories in their recovery

Negatives-
* Harder to KO here. While ROB lives a long time here bc of it, so do opponents due to ROBs lackluster KO potential.
* ROB stays in Locks/Cgs/Traps that can be extended for the length of the stage longer.

* Marth; Lack of platforms to get ***** with
* Donkey Kong; Slow DK + Camp + Lack of platforms for U-tilt/air
* Ganon; Slow Ganon + Camping
* Wolf; can out-camp him, B-air approach becomes less effective, inability to scar, ledge gimps
* Peach; Float attacks don't turn half the stage into a hitbox
*Olimar; Lack of platforms for U-tilt/air/smash ****, large boundaries, more room to work with to avoid grabs
* Snake; Can outcamp. Snake is going to live forever anyway, so the boost in stock duration helps ROB, imo. May get lucky with a ledge-gimp (doubtfu;)
* Luigi; Less U-tilt/air ****, more room to maneuver, cyclone becomes less effective
* Mario; Possible ledge-gimps, less U-tilt/air ****, more room to get around fireballs
* MK; Last I heard, one of his lesser great stages (b/c he has no bad ones =P)

* Ice Climbers (depends); I personally don't like taking IC's here. Hobbling lasts soo long, which adds one more grab=stock to their repetoire.
* DDD (possibly); CG's are extended around 2 throws. If you can keep close to the edge with your back to it, its not as large of a problem. Your call.
* Falco; Lasers
* Diddy Kong; Bananas. But, then again you have some camping room and aren't as cramped so you can avoid bananas. But, if you fall into a 'naner trap... the trap is extended waaay longer.

Strategies-
* Ample room for camping, use it.
* More room to maneuver, use it to strengthen your aerial approaches (if you feel like approaching) by allowing yourself less-cramped environments with which to space.

Other-

Rating-
7.5/8

BATTLEFIELD

Positives-
* Platforms to camp under that ruin a lot of chars aerial approaches
* Platforms enable you to get some U-tilts and U-smashes off
* Can be flown under with plenty of fuel remaining
* Less massive boundaries than FD

Negatives-
* Platforms enhance the game of chars with strong 'underneath games', while showcasing ROB's inability to deal with the 'underneath game'
* Platforms can be "controlled" by characters with independant projectiles (Snake)

* Falco
* Fox (I do well vs Fox here, personally)
* Diddy POSSIBLY
* DDD (only if you are willing to trade off less CGs for a random U-tilt KO early)

* Ganon; murder choke to put you on a platform to reading your limited/slow roll/get-up :(
* Link
* Marth
* Falcon (lol); his U-air and U-tilt is solid here
* Luigi
* Mario
* GaW
* MK
* Snake
* Bowser
* Olimar ( Usually )

Strategies-
I, personally, tend to be a bit more aggressive here to maintain the area under the top-center platform. Staking out that area as your own allows ROB to effectively control almost all of the horizontal, and the back halves (portions nearer the center) of the platforms. Characters with superior stage control options, primarily Snake (when talking about stage control) excel here, as a D-smash mine, C4, and grenade, Snake's tilts (U/F-tilts especially) results in him being able to control literally almost the entire stage.

Other-
To be honest, this is actually *MY* neutral of choice. I personally do well here, even against chars that are typically strong here ( Snake, DK, Marth most notably). I refuse to take a Mario/Luigi/GW here. Basically, anyone whose entire U- moveset is extremely viable, avoid. Even though the list of chars to avoid here is larger than those to bring here, in the event I get taken here either as a CP or as a neutral (assuming I struck a stage that was worse for the matchup) I enjoy this stage & do quite well on it.

Rating-
8/10

DiZmY??

Smash Cadet
Final Destination:
Positives- Allows you to camp, perfect for surviving long and i think it has alot of space of the stage just to do you gimps..

Negatives- Is really long, so it allows DDD to chain grab to ridiculous percents, Makes the game a hella harder if your fighting falco. People live longer :urg:

Characters to Bring Here- err... Marth, DK, maybe snake, Characters that don't have projectiles.

Characters to Avoid Here- Falco, DDD!! and maybe Toonlink

Strategies- Camp on one side and wait till opponent approaches.

Other- Theres a chaos emerald in there for no reason. It probably helps it float :confused:

Rating- 7.2/10

Battlefield:

Positives- Its small and has a light background (you can see what your doing). platform allow you to use up-tilt, up-air and up-smash very effectively.

Negatives-your platform game sucks, Just dont get stuck on top and you'll be good. You die faster.

Characters to Bring Here- Peach?

Characters to Avoid Here- Metaknight, marth, toonlink, GaW, Samus, DK ,Snake

Strategies- Control the inside of the stage and stay at the bottom

Other- Cement platforms float for no apparent reason -_-

Rating- 8/10

Top Bottom