• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Week 8 Matchup- Pikachu

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH *head asplodes*

Pikachu is the embodiment of evil and should die a horrible and tragic death. Buuuuut fortunately, Wario can take care of him relatively easy. Dair is your friend here. It's faster than Pika's Uair and most (all?) of his other aerials. The good thing about Pikachu being destroyed in the air is that he will be forced to go to the ground, where you can Bite his shield and Fsmash kills insanely early. The Tjolt camping is annoying, but not a real big problem. Aerial approaches can fix that.

Discuss.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Pika's fair and dair has more priority being electric. Uair and Nair are both 3 frames, its not gonna be that bad in the air for Pikachu. Though dair isn't advised since Wario can prob uair Pikachu out of dair.

Pikachu can punish bite with a fsmash. (course biting a shield is meh hate that mouth)

Really all I can say, leave the rest to the more experienced Pikas.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Wario upair beats pikachu down-air when spaced right but will often trade hits. Chaingrab is at a specific percentage and only 2x. Waft that side b! If he uses his up b grab the ledge and drop-jump dair/waft to punish. His spotdodge is annoying but his options afterwards aren't amazing. Aerial priority is about even. He has trouble spacing you horizontaly but his uptilt will beat our dair every time and has really low cooldown. Powersheild those jolt srsly. They travel slowly and aren't too versitile. Big cooldown too. His edgeguarding game really isn't a problem with our mobilty and good airdodge. Don't fall for thunder kills. If your not going to die don't down air. Just wait for him to PIKAA and airdodge/di away. Utilt is an annoying setup be ready to di it. Sdi (up) the dsmash, avoid the laggy fsmash and try not to miss a autocancel or you'll eat a hyphen smash. He has a really hard time killing wario.

Platinum

Smash Rookie
Pika's tjolt isn't too much of a problem, and Pika will have a tough time getting inside to grab, although as previously stated the chaingrab isn't really a problem. Shouldn't be too hard to waft...but Pika is pretty quick. Stay away from that upsmash, and I don't think staying alive should be too hard.. Watch out for moves coming out of QAC. I may have to be corrected but I don't think that there are any terrible CP's for either character.

Something I am curious about... If a Pikachu is able to grab release a Wario, will that set up this Uair->Footstool-> QAL infinite thing? IF it actually does turn out to be an infinite, its still kind of sketchy.

Platinum

Smash Rookie
That makes sense. Apparently I need more matchup experience with Pikachu, I thought he had just enough height to be able to grab release. My mistake.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I find the matchup pretty even, actually, except when it comes to killing. Wario kills twice as low, twice as easily. That's what puts it in Wario's favor.

Avoid thunder when recovering and if you miss a waft. Other than that, approach from above and do everything else regularly.

Padô

Smash Lord
60-40 easily, you can bite all his aerials except dair FROM ABOVE.
You can Bite all his smashes except for Dsmash.
Our aerials **** hims, his Cg doesnt work, and DownB Spacing is a freewaft chance. Your Fsmash superarmor is your best friend here too. I got no words to describe how confortable is playing this match... Our aerials cancel his projectiles and the ****ing UpB on stage (you can also bite it...)

BMX

Smash Lord
Pika is a matter of how well you can take a pounding from a rat.

Tjolt is not nessarily a problem due to Wario's excellent aeriel game and kills Pika early while Pika has problems in this category.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Wario is probably the least affected by the combo, besides ICs. You can just DI after the footstool to avoid the QAL.

Muro

Smash Lord
Wario is probably the least affected by the combo, besides ICs. You can just DI after the footstool to avoid the QAL.
can you actually get off the ledge or its a kind of a mindgame thing (something like sometimes you di left sometimes right until they mess it up)?

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Combos are nearly inexistant in Brawl, if they attack twice in a row the opponent has done something wrong.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Combos are nearly inexistant in Brawl, if they attack twice in a row the opponent has done something wrong.
Lol, he's talking about a pikachu combo QAL (quick attack lock I pressume) which sounds pretty nasty. Your response is kinda pointless.

Jupz

Smash Master
Pikachu has a bit of lag on his projectile and since he usually shoots it in the air, with Warios fast aerial movement he can close in during the lag.

Padô

Smash Lord
Lol QAL is like the Captain Falcon combos...

FOOTSTOOL + BAIR + IMPOSSIBLE **** + FALCON PUCH

Pikache Style: UAIR + FOOTSTOOL + IMPOSSIBLE **** + TJOLT

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Pika's is pretty easy comparatively though b/c QAL cancels their jump from the footstool, so all they have to do is guess where they're going to land, and then rinse and repeat. The reason we're pretty safe from it is b/c of how far we can move to the sides b/c of our aerial control.

Muro

Smash Lord
Pika's is pretty easy comparatively though b/c QAL cancels their jump from the footstool, so all they have to do is guess where they're going to land, and then rinse and repeat. The reason we're pretty safe from it is b/c of how far we can move to the sides b/c of our aerial control.
what i dont understand is if we should be trying to break the combo by DIing left/right alternating between directions in a kind of mindgame or if we should always DI to the nearest ledge.. can you, or someone else, clarify that for me?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
That's purely up to you. Go for the ledge if you think you can make it offstage or if you can survive a thunder should you not make it far enough. Otherwise mix it up.

BMX

Smash Lord
I wonder where the Pikas are at.

Must be scared. ^_^

jk That person knows who I'm talking about.

Padô

Smash Lord
Dash to powershield is sure the best option around or If you play pikas too much you'll get the timing to use wisely the SuperArmor Frames of your FSmash

Muro

Smash Lord
Dash to powershield is sure the best option around or If you play pikas too much you'll get the timing to use wisely the SuperArmor Frames of your FSmash
why not just jump? wario moves way faster in the air anyway. Also, what about conterpicks/bans?

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Wario kills Pikachu at much earlier percents than Pikachu kills Wario, and it is incredibly frustrating. Fsmash is Wario's most reliable killing move in this matchup, although uair is quite deadly too. Thunder and Fsmash are going to be Pika's most reliable against Wario.

Air camping with dair is hard for Pikachu to deal with and should be used often. You can cancel the tjolts pretty easily with dtilt (or jabs?), but you shouldn't have to worry about it too much considering you should be in the air a lot.

Both characters have good recovery and usually won't gimp each other, unless Wario left his bike on stage. The one thing that will freak a Pikachu out is if you start predicting his recovery. Pikachu relies on his recovery being too unpredictable to punish. Pikachu does have a lot of options when he is coming back to the stage, but you can recognize the method your opponent usually uses and then punish them for it.

Pika has some great combos that involve FF fair and grabs. Avoid those if you don't want to get juggled. Last thing: Don't shoot up too high with your farts, especially with a character like Pikachu who can snipe you with thunder for a quick kill. Wario should be getting up to very high percents in this matchup, so expect Pikachus to take advantage of something like that. Trust me, I only one a tournament set against this Wario player because he made this mistake.

I'd say 55-45 Wario or 60-40 Wario mainly for killing potential.

Top Bottom