• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approach Options for the King (Edited 6/27/09 10:45 PM)

Raimundo

Smash Apprentice
As this needs no introduction, I'm just going to explain a few options for approach with mah penguin.

Approach #1
Dair
I know I have stressed this enough, but I just can't stress this enough. It just too good for stopping most approaches and creating your own combo at low %'s. If double jumped it lowers the height, yet leaves enough height to follow up with an attack.

Approach #2
SH and FH Fair
Both SH and FH Fairs are good for approach. I say both because a Fair has a huge top-to-bottom coverage and good damage (15%). SH Fair covers the approach of tall characters (such as Snake) and short characters (such as Pikachu, Meta Knight) that attempt to use their SH to approach you. FH Fairs are for characters that ALMOST ALWAYS approach from the air (such as Peach)

Approach #3
Waddle Dee/Doo/Gordos
For an unpredicatable approach, FH a waddle throw to create a mini shield for projectiles, yet when you land, you can use any tilt or grab. SH waddle throws lower the height of it, but increases the time to punish if it misses.

Approach #4
Dash > Shield Grab
Probably the most common approach for most DeDeDe users. Using this will give a good start for anything good to happen. Getting a grab can result in a Bthrow or a Fthrow and attempt to gimp at early %'s. Thus giving us the dead on advantage.

Zip.

Smash Lord
Good approaches, im gonna start using #3 a bit more..
also i have a few more if you'd like me to add..

Jupz

Smash Master
Nice so far, don't really like the third one though as DDD has the worst aerial movement in the game the opponent can punish him cause he can't go far.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Also obviously Sh bair is a good approach. You can do two in one jump or fast fall it.
Actually, you wanna auto RAR it because if you don't, you'll be facing the opposite direction. I know what you mean, just correcting the term :)

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I know I have stressed this enough, but I just can't stress this enough.
That made me chuckle :).
spot dogging.
Wow you guys are making me cry LOL...

EDIT: Yeah nevermind, my bad.

Waddle dee toss approaching isn't that wise because even if they get hit by it at low percents, they can still punish because of the laggy projectile.
The only good ways to approaching from this list here is just down airing from my opinion. You'll receive little lag from doing it, it's unexpected, and you can follow it up with other moves.

Bwa

Smash Cadet
Bair, Ftilt, Dtilt, run and predict a spotdoge to inhale (or grab) :)

Beef => He didn't say dash attack, he said dash to shield grab

T3h Albino

Smash Master
dedede is limited in approaches for a reason
the only logical approaches i can think of
are
dash > shield grab, bair, fullhop dair > dash > ftilt, and fullhop reverse inhale/bair if you predict they will shield then inhale if you think they'll use an attack then predict accordingly and bair.
those are really all we've got
none of this other gimmicky stuff

AddictedGamer

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't listen to this unless your fighting a Zelda or similar. Dedede should never approach, instead he should waddle spam until the opponent approaches.

#1 & #2 just asks to be shield grabbed, if you must do it try it in a Wall of Pain fashion (once you hit the shield or opponent, quickly DI or jump away to avoid the grab).

#3 throwing waddles is very has a lot of ending lag, you won't be able to do anything until you land (unless you are 10 feet in the air). This move should be used to have others approach, not you.

#4 shield grabbing is never an approach and the way you describe preforming #4, its more like baiting for the opponent to approach, therefore #4 is not a true approach.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
im so sick of seeing waddle spam being a good idea
its really not unless your opponent doesn't know what a powershield is
using a few waddle dee's to mis it up is good
but spamming them is a really bad idea

OMG H4X

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rustytotallypwns
a good way to waddle approach i use is to run at them, RAR a full hop bair (or run away using a retreating bair) into a turn around waddle toss.

usually people will shield for the bair, or run at you (where the retreating bair comes in) from there, theres a good chance they wont be expecting a waddle toss.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I'm stressing this more. Dair is the ****. I will Dair the hell outta you if you don't believe me. >=[

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
Dair is beast. I always mess up when I rush a Fair on my first match. Dash and shield grab is always a great victory

b1anK

Smash Apprentice
Approaching with d3 really just depends on what character you're up against.

If it's a sonic,mk, or any characters without projectiles you don't really have to approach; you can sit back and bait the shield grabs.

Top Bottom