• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Match-ups: Export #0: Ike

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I need to get back on track with these exports, heres the Ike one from the old thread.

Powerman Ike [60:40 In Ike's Favor]

Advanced Techniques To Know:

Zair with bomb

Craq walking

Gale guarding

Zair edgeguarding

Phantom Boomerang

Bombslides

Bombslides into Fsmash

How do I spam properly?

Projectiles are key in this match-up. As you know Ike has short range attacks *note that his Fair is about the range as Link's Zair* and no projectiles so camping is best. For Ike, spamming defensively as in retreating projectiles are good. First off it's best to start with Zair with bomb tech, so basically you wanna short back hop Zair Ike then throw bomb. Do not spam approaching ethier use more farther range projectiles or wait for your enemy. This will kill Ike's gameplay. Phantom bommerang works well when your on the ledge, it spaces Ike fast and surprising. He won't be able to approach if you spam correctly which means you can't get touch. Another spam game is to space your enemy. Bombslides to Fsmash is good to maintain your space, the more space you got the more frustrating it is for Ike to hit you.

How do I edgeguard Ike properly?

Well you know that Ike has two recover moves, his Aether and his Quick Draw. The quick draw recovers horizontaly. For quick draw Gale Guarding is best to use. Now if you miss the Gale Guard you still can jump right in front of it to stop the move completely. The Aether is pretty tricky than Ike's other recover. It pretty much goes only vertically so Zair edgeguarding would be your favorble option. Just make sure you get the timing right *note that Aether can spike if you miss*.

How do I damage and kill Ike?

To damage Ike you have to do a little combination of projectiles and sword attacks. Craq walking works effectively to do a quick attack on Ike. Though the best thing to do would be to launch Ike into the air. Now you know that in air Ike can only defend by spot-on dodging or down B. Spot-on dodge can be pretty useless, why? Well because Link's Fair and Bair is a two hit move. Spot-on dodging's invinciblilty frames last shorter than the Fair or Bair's attack frames. So your sure to get a hit with the 2nd attack. The down B's counter frames appear only after the first few frames of the moves. So just make sure you don't hit during the counter frames. Now to kill Ike you wanna use attacks that will send him horizontaly. Trying to kill him vertically won't happen untill Ike's at around 130%. The pros of sending him horizontaly is that he cannot be able to get back to the stage and you'll be able to edgeguard him.

How do I not get damaged too much?

You want to be aware of the jab cancels an Ike will do.
Quote:
Originally posted in the "I write for my friends" Ike guide
Crouching to stop your jab combo from finishing. To do this, after the second jab is finished, hit down for as short as possible. You can now jab normally without having to do a different move or wait for some time. This allows you to do AA, AA, AA as much as you want. (It's wise to keep an eye on your opponent though).
So the best way to get out of this combo is too press Zair *note that you have to SDI upwards to this* when Ike's crouching. It will *hopefully* hit Ike before he jabs you. Pretty much that's the only thing you can do to stop his jabs > jabs combo. Grabing can also be a big treat to you. Ike's grab is fast and you pretty much only have one option to avoid some barrages of grabs. Though remember that his grab is short range so space if needed. But some Ikes have their own way of successfully grabing, if your facing one of those people you can hold a bomb as long as you can. If Ike grabs you the bomb can explode breaking up the move. Ike's Fair is his best ranged move and fastest. Be aware of RARs. Shielding is the best way to defend and shield grabing is a good counter to do if you successfully shield. Now preventing it can be hard. As you know Ike's RAR is performed by running, taping the opposite direction and then pressing A. That means this can effect camping and spacing. So just try spamming foward bombs and arrows. If your way far from him then approach him with a bombslide into Fsmash. This will bring you a good amount, the bomb can hit Ike, and the Fsmash can stop him right in his tracks.

Best stages to counterpick Ike?

Counterpick: Pirate Ship

Ban: Norfair, now I can tell your like "WTF Nortfair?!" though it's Link's best stage Ike will just ignore that fact and will **** harder.

Videos:

Ryko (Ike) vs. Killa (Link)

Top Bottom