• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread Export: Snake

Gates

Banned via Warnings
SNAKE

DIFFICULTY: EVEN - 55:45
CHAINGRAB: YES (Normal CG only, Watch For Shield-Dropped Grenades)

The matchup between Dedede and Snake is a very interesting one. Snake is faster than Dedede; can camp better through grenades and C4; utilizes explosives to smack Dedede around all over the stage; spikes Dedede off the stage with fair, racks up lots of damage with nair and dair; edgeguards well with a combination of mortars, C4, mines, and, surprisingly, his bair; and kills Dedede at a lower percentage than other characters due to his extremely strong ftilt, utilt, uair, fsmash, and even his jab. Yet at the same time, Dedede is was considered by many to be Snake’s worst matchup.

Snake has more tricks up his sleeve, sure, and he’ll most likely outcamp you since his Waddle Dees can’t always hold their own against grenades. But once you grab him, you have a very significant advantage. Not only can Snake be chaingrabbed to the edge of the stage, but once you throw him off you can hit him with a dtilt and gimp him very easily. Gimping Snake is an interesting ordeal. With most characters the phrase “gimp” is synonymous with “WoP”. However, due to the nature of Snake’s cypher (better vertical recovery than your upB, which translates to horizontal recovery thanks to DI), it is better, in my opinion, to stake spike him. Snake is particularly vulnerable to stage spiking due to the fact that his upB goes straight up first and then slowly gains horizontal momentum. This means that many times, even if Snake has not been stage spiked but is still under the stage and not in range of the ledge, Snake will cypher under the stage until he lets go and falls to his death (or C4s himself, in which case he’ll be in a slightly better position to recover, but ultimately still vulnerable). The best way to stage spike Snake is The King’s bair, though his fair works well to. Inhaling Snake and spitting him out under the ledge is a fun alternative to Dededecide and works just as well as fair, but setting it up can be difficult due to Snake’s relative resistance to Inhale (his bair outranges it and he can feed you grenades instead).

Edgeguarding Snake in general is an important thing to learn since you’ll probably spend a decent portion of the match doing it. If he ciphers close enough to the stage, grab him out of it, don't attack or throw, and wait for him to release on his own. He’ll have to C4 himself, taking an extra 15% damage, and try to get back to the stage again, where you’ll be waiting with bairs, fairs, or an fsmash. I know I said stage spiking was probably a better option than WoP earlier, but on several stages that’s not an option, so if you think you can, Wall away. Also, when he uses C4 to recover, FOOTSTOOL HIM. You'll be glad you did.

Inversely, Dedede needs to be careful when recovering against Snake as well. Nair and bair go through mortars, so they aren’t a terribly big issue unless the Snake really starts spamming them, at which point you’ll have to stop using aerials and use the super armor from Super Dedede Jump. If you do use the upB, don’t be surprised if the Snake player starts smiling as this is very exploitable on the descent. Fair, dair, nair, bair, ftilt, fsmash… these are all things he can do to you while you’re airborne. According to M2K, dair kills Dedede off the ledge at about 100%. Fair kills even lower than that. Be EXTREMELY careful when recovering against Snake.

But before all this edgeguarding business comes into play, you’ll have to face eachother on the stage first. As I mentioned earlier, Snake will probably be outcamping you with his grenades and try to force you to approach. Before that, however, toss a waddle dee at him to provide you some cover against low grenades and mines. The optimal angle of attack for approaching Snake is an interesting debate. Dashing straight on opens you up to grenades, ftilts, jabs, mortarslides, and lots of other stuff. On the other hand, approaching from the air opens you up to grenade bounces, aerials, mortars, and his insane utilt (you should see the horizontal range on it, it’s ridiculous). Ultimately you have to make the call here on what is best for you to do. If he seems to be wanting to continue to spam grenades, follow your Waddle Dees over there and RAR a bair when you’re close enough. If you start to approach and he begins a mortarslide, shieldgrab him and either chaingrab (provided the mortar isn’t heading towards you or didn’t go off for some reason) or fthrow/bthrow (the more likely choice). Of course, the BEST way to approach Snake is from below. Your utilt will probably not be what kills him in this match so feel free to set him up in the air and follow up with whatever you can throw at him. Uair, another utilt, you name it.

About Snakes explosives. Mines aren’t that big a deal since, as mentioned before, Waddle Dees can trip them easily. C4 is more dangerous and you’ll most likely be forced to avoid it. However, most Snakes will not leave their C4 in one place for too long (it explodes after 25 seconds anyway), and when you get them off the stage the first thing they do after cypher is detonate their C4 to try recovering back that way. Nikita is pretty easy to avoid if you’re not careless and not much else about it is worth mentioning. Snake’s most notable explosives are his grenades. A good Snake player can and will do tons of different things about them. Not just simple stuff like camping and bouncing, but advanced things like dropping a grenade in front of you, rolling behind you, cracking your neck a few times, and then throwing you into it as it explodes. Hell, I’m surprised nobody’s written a full guide about grenades yet Actually, I think someone has written a full guide about grenades. It’s also worth mentioning that many Snakes will mash B during the chaingrab since there is a very, very small window of opportunity (like 1 frame) for them to pull a grenade and stop your CG, but this is unlikely to happen and if you’re chaingrabbing properly it won’t matter much anyway.

One final note about grabs. Not Dedede's, Snake's. Snake has really good throws and can boost grab King Dedede which adds a good deal of range to it. His fthrow and bthrow both send Dedede pretty far and they're often what he'll get you offstage with, in which case you'll have to refer to the section about the offstage game above. The real threat, however, is Snake's dthrow. His dthrow deals 12% and he can use it to techchase which can be a brutal way to rack up damage. Generaly you need to be unpredictable with how you get up after it, but realistically that might not always be the best case. Fortunately, Dedede's forward roll can get him far enough away from Snake that a regrab is not guaranteed and you also have just enough time to dash away from him. Snake's dthrow can also lead to a ledge infinite of sorts. However, it can easily be escaped by mashing airdodge/nair.

Ah Snake, you lovable old card, you. You're success with Snake will invariable differ based on the skill of the person controlling Snake. Especially when it comes to his recovery. First up you should realize, that zhain grabbing Snake is a bit more difficult as if you attempt your normal Chain grab he will grenade out on the second hit. This makes it harder to get to the "CG to Edgeguard" phase that Dedede most excels at. If I'm not mistaken though, a shield canceled chain grab can actually outspeed the grenades. Any chance to Dthrow Snake off the edge should always be taken. The position it ptus him in is highly unfavorable. If he attempts to Cypher, just grab him again, forcing a C4 recovery which is free damage for you. If he double jumps back to go for a high cypher, you can often Fsmash him right at the height of his double Jump. If you CGed to the edge, this is actually a kill from 0-death. amazingly enough (providing you sweet spot the Fsmash).

Waddle Dees can help quell those grenade camping snakes by smacking into them in mid air. Dedede needs help in this department, his large hit box is vary susceptible to grenades. Mortar Sliding is easily dealt with. Feel free to grab Snake out of it if he tries. Go ahead, it's fun. Suck Up will also work. Speaking of Suck Up....Feel Free to Suck Up and Spit Snake out under the stage. Often, he will -have- to C4 back to recover and you're UpB should allow you ample time to get back as well.

The downside in this matchup is Snake is one of the few characters with enough power to kill Dedede's lardy body at normal percentages. His Ftilt is godly and clashes with your own. It also works well for spacing you back out of grab range. Snake's utilt isn't as effective against D3 as he might like, but he can still Ftilt you off the side and deliver a devastating bair kill. Be wary of this as I believe it outranges DDDcide attempts and Fair.

Speaking of the air, get snake there and keep him there. It will take a while to kill with Utilt, but because of this, you shouldn't be afraid to use it as a damage dealer, you should primarily be using your edguarding for the kill anyway, so try and freshen up Bair when you can.

Overall, I put this matchup at about 55/45 for Dedede. I think he can handle Snake quite well so long as he plays smart, but it will be a much more difficult battle and could go either way if the DDD is sloppy.

P.S.: Gates your avatar is such epic win.
Sorry if this may be off topic, but think of it as a future discussion.

Lain finally posted in the RealdddBR asking this question

"What do I do about Snake just camping? I find it extremely difficult to get around that **** with DDD being so fat and not having the added advantage of someone like MK's agility or the long slide he gets from dash grabbing. What the **** do I do.

Ftilting works sometimes, but that's if they're not REALLY nade camping."

i felt it necassary to bring up here, and show everyone my, or the, answer.

me:

"for camping snakes never run, u run u lose all ur grab range. your standing grab beats his gernade grab, so as long as u walk everywhere, and shield gernades accordingly, if ur not next to him all u have to anticipate is when he will motor slide, which u can grab on reaction. other than that slowly keep stepping foward, step grab when he pulls a nade, or step shield if he doesnt (cuz that means he's gona ftilt instead)

theres only 4 things a snake will ever do to an approaching ddd. Gernade (into grab) spacy ftilts, motor slide, or roll behind u (if u read this its a full stage CG ^_^)

any more questions?"

Just thought that was worth noting.

Good Stages:
Pokemon Stadium 1, Castle Seige, Delfino Plaza, Frigate Orpheon​
Smaller stages where Snake can't camp, weird ledges, minimal platforms, walls, and moving stages generally aren’t that good for Snake. Pokemon Stadium in particular is great in this matchup due to its odd ledges that Snake can’t cipher around and its walls on the rock and fire portions of the stage.

Bad Stages:
Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Brinstar, Norfair​
Stages with lots of platforms, extremely large stages, and basically anywhere he can camp you a lot.

Another stage worth mentioning is Smashville. Though Snake players generally enjoy it for the moving platform since it’s a good place to put explosives and camp, Dedede players also love it because of chaingrabbing tricks associated with it and the fact that there is less room for him to avoid your grabs. Also, both Snake’s and Dedede’s utilts can reach through the platform to kill. This stage doesn’t particularly favor one character over the other, but I still felt it was worth mentioning since you may see it a lot against Snake.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
It was like 60:40 back then because most Snakes didn't know how to get around the chaingrab but then they all simultaneously stopped being ********.

I think Dedede still does fine against Snake. Remember, this is Snake, a character with one truly bad matchup and only a small number of even matchups (one of which being Metaknight), so 50:50 is pretty impressive.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
What gates said.

We decided to stop *****ing about the CG and follow suite like most every other board.

But here's the thing....

WE HAVE TO WIN FIRST AND THIRD GAMES basically....

You **** us on your CP most of the time. <_<

EDIT:
If you roll away we can regrab you with a boostgrab before you getup. FYI

EDIT 2:
Go ahead and try to stage spike me, I'll tech jump that ****. <_< you are better off using sourspot bairs (I believe 1 fresh knocks us off) into footstool (or another bair, try to get us under the stage)

EDIT 3:
90% no DI, not 100%
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236143

Also we recently discussed you, I suggest you read it:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241241

dthrow grenades > mortars. your nair/bair don't go through mortars. ;)

EDIT 4:
I'd take you guys to RC anyday.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
EDIT:
If you roll away we can regrab you with a boostgrab before you getup. FYI

EDIT 2:
Go ahead and try to stage spike me, I'll tech jump that ****. <_< you are better off using sourspot bairs (I believe 1 fresh knocks us off) into footstool (or another bair, try to get us under the stage)

EDIT 3:
90% no DI, not 100%
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236143

Also we recently discussed you, I suggest you read it:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241241

dthrow grenades > mortars. your nair/bair don't go through mortars. ;)

EDIT 4:
I'd take you guys to RC anyday.
This writeup is almost a year old, gimme a break.

And actually the best solution now for Snake at the edge would be to dthrow them, regrab out of their second jump, pummel release and force them to cypher and bair/fair/footstool them when their recovering. This is of course assuming they're stupid enough to jump into your second grab right away but if they're not you can footstool them which puts them in a bad position to cypher.

As far as stages go, what would Snakes counterpick? I've heard a lot of conflicting things from both sides (each side has thought FD is good for the other at some point) so I really don't know what to think anymore.

This writeup is almost a year old, gimme a break.

And actually the best solution now for Snake at the edge would be to dthrow them, regrab out of their second jump, pummel release and force them to cypher and bair/fair/footstool them when their recovering. This is of course assuming they're stupid enough to jump into your second grab right away but if they're not you can footstool them which puts them in a bad position to cypher.

As far as stages go, what would Snakes counterpick? I've heard a lot of conflicting things from both sides (each side has thought FD is good for the other at some point) so I really don't know what to think anymore.
With Snake I would say it really comes down to preference which kind of stage to CP against DDD. I cannot really thing of anything that stands out. FD is pretty much neutral to both of them. Snake gains better camping grounds, while DDD gets more CG abuse. Pretty much any stage I can see people picking ends up being both good and bad for both.

Jupz

Smash Master
I'm not very experienced with this matchup, I'm busy today but I'll post what I know tomorrow.

Dedede can Dthrow->Dtilt snake at the edge and grab releases are effective at setting up gimps along with just general Dthrow.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
For some reason I don't seem to have that much of a problem with this matchup. Its not easy, yet not hard. I thinks it's because me and SuSa have been brawling each other for so long that I'm used to the matchup.

Uh yeah Susa if you didn't know our down/neutral/back airs could destroy the mortar....
Nevermind I don't need to finish that sentence haha.
Why would you openly Nair/Bair into a mortar anyway. If you are doing that Snake can hit you in the lag of the attack your using. If you FF the attack onto snake you'll lag a bit in the attack before finally reaching down which I'm sure is enough time to shield the aerial.

Jumping with the Dair seems most effective. Snake cannot punish you there. 3 foot long stick gets in the way <_<

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
It's more effective than you think, if you know how to follow it up with something. I neutral air it everytime I get the chance and I'll know that an up tilt is coming, so I do one more puff to stop the downward momentum, avoid the attack, then go for a direct back air. I also sometimes do an inhale after I forsaw the attack.

Jupz

Smash Master
Beef is right, plus if you just air dodge down he can punish you in the end lag. Midair jump to Nair is pretty effective.

Jupz

Smash Master
I never knew that worked :p

I personally just like to stay airbourne and camp in the air, also here is the paragraph from my dealing with snakes grenades thread.

5 - Snake's Grenades (Neutral B)

If the snake isn't cooking his grenades, throw them back at him. This will give you some time to approach and will put a little pressure on his shield. Stay in the air a lot to avoid getting hit by the grenades, and Fast fall down with a Bair. You could also jump above him and Dair, this will mean he will get hit by a grenade if he's holding one and you won't. It also puts pressure on the higher parts of his shield, although watch out for a shield dropped grenade thrown up or down, an Upsmash or a Utilt. If he drops a grenade, you can Ftilt it from a distance to explode it, which can be a surprise to Snake if he is within range of the grenade. You can also Dtilt him while hes holding a grenade and it won't blow up the grenade.

Watch what the snake is doing from a distance and learn his mindgames. On Halberd, which is one of Snakes favourite counterpicks, he can throw shield-dropped grenades downwards on the slopes and they will go sideways. Dedede also has a short Jump-Cancelled Glide Toss, which can be used to gain a little extra slide when you throw a grenade. Beware that if Snake shield drops a grenade and you are holding one it will fall out of your hands as well. Inhale is very risky as if you eat a grenade you will take damage and there will be some lag. Also if there is a grenade in the way of your chaingrabs, use Bthrow for damage or Uthrow to keep him in the air. You could alternatively Dthrow him into the grenade. On stages with platforms, Snake's often put grenades on the platforms to force you to go over them

xxmaliciousxx

Smash Cadet
Everything I was going to say was already said by the above users.

Moral of the story:
Don't f***k with a really angry penguin holding a huge f**king hammer.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
SOMEONE PLEASE TALK TO LAIN

he has a WHOLE CONVO on how i handle this matchup, and this is where it rightfully belongs.

get that convo!!!!!!

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I was going to make a ridiculously dirty joke here, but nah, I don't want to get infracted, I already have 6 points somehow anyway :laugh:
But yeah, Lain, we could sure use a look at that convo you and Seib had.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Added in Seibrik's strategy for approaching Snake.

It's better than my old strategy of choosing red Dedede, charging in, and yelling "I'M THE JUGGERNAUT, *****!"

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Never. Again. In your life.

Please leave that to me. And CRASHiC...
I'm confused Serin, what do me and you do on this board other than post things for our Metagame that get completely ignored, or are utterly useless, and make Gates mad? I don't think Beef incrouched on either of those grounds.

It's better than my old strategy of choosing red Dedede, charging in, and yelling "I'M THE JUGGERNAUT, *****!"
xDDD Oh gates.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I'm confused Serin, what do me and you do on this board other than post things for our Metagame that get completely ignored, or are utterly useless, and make Gates mad? I don't think Beef incrouched on either of those grounds.
He made a joke. That's your/Gates's/my job.

Top Bottom