• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rob Official Matchup Discussion: Ike

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Ok, so we are winding down (finally) and I am stoked. So, we're gonna do 2x/week from here on out until the remaining characters are finished. This week is Ike/Link, with this thread being about the IKE matchup.

ROB's Advantages:

ROB's Disadvantages:

Opponent's Advantages:

Opponent's Disadvantages:

What ROB should try to do:

How to do it:

How opponent can stop it:

What Opponent should be trying to do:

How they'll do it:

How ROB can stop it:

Counterpicks (what ROB should pick)
Bans (what ROB should ban 1 via stage strike, 1 via personal ban)
Preferred Neutral (what ROB wants)

Ratio:

Sudai

Stuff here
ROB's Advantages:
-Projectilez.
-Good recovery.
-Good edge guarding.

ROB's Disadvantages:
-Easy juggling for Ike if we don't get out of it properly.
-Kind of light when put up against Ike

Opponent's Advantages:
-Crrazy strong Smashes.
-Quick BAir punishes if we attack the back of his shield.
-DAir is fairly good way to get out of juggles if timed right.
-Same for eruption.

Opponent's Disadvantages:
-Horrible recovery.
-No porjectile.

What ROB should try to do:
Camp and get him near the ledge, knock him off some how and gimp.

How to do it:
I won't explain how to camp. :p Once he gets close though, it's going to be close aerials/jabs/grabs from him. Keep him out of jab/grab range and wait till he miss-times an aerial on your shield. If you can powershield, yay, makes things even easier. Don't you want to learn how to power shield? Woo~ :p

How opponent can stop it:
Mix up grabs really. It's the only way to stop powershielding for Ike since he doesn't have multihits.

What Opponent should be trying to do:
Space and time aerials really well.

How they'll do it:
This is kind of obvious but...to the max of your aerial's range and time it so it'll hit as close to the ground as possible so you'll have less lag after the hitbox.

How ROB can stop it:
Move forward once he gets to his max range putting you closer in so you can punish better. He can just back up, but you can at least force him away from the edge, go back and camp some more.

Counterpicks
-Japes: :]
-Frigate: Obvious reasons.

Bans
-Battlefield: It's small and he can smash through platforms.
-Small stages of personal discomfort

Preferred Neutral
-FD
-Yoshi's: Weird laser bounces are awesome. Same for weird gyro bounces. You should know these as well as your normal laser angles, I think. :o

Ratio:
60:40

TheMike

Smash Lord
as ROB is big, he can be hitted with Ike Jab Combo(Jab>Jab>Crouch>Jab>Jab>Jab), and he will hit u very easy because he has the Nair, that is a GREAT set up for Jab
the same with some ike combos like Dthrow>UpB

65:35 because ROB camp camp well and also gimp with Fair, then edgeguard correctly!

The rest i agree with Sudai =)

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Second what Sudai said... but I do want to emphasize Ike's B-air. It can really, really catch you offguard with how fast it is compared to Ikes movement speed, and the speed of his actual moves. So, watch out for that, quickdraw approaches between your laser/gyro shots that end in jab cancels. Also,look out for random arse f-and u-smashes, and its not hard at all.

CP: Japes, Frigate, Cruise
Strike: BF, SV
Preferred Neutral: FD, YI to an extend
Ban: Norfair, Pirate ship if its legal, small stage of discomfort.

Fraser

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know can gyro be used to stop his side B? I've seen it done with other projectiles when Ike is recovering horizontally and begins charging his side B. If you shoot something at him(not a laser, PK fire works well) it will cause him to attack out of the Bside and lose momentum and he will enter the helpless fall mode. does anyone know if this works wityh gyro?

Edit Heres ness and lucas doing it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrg9Eo2XCYs&feature=related

Sudai

Stuff here
I mean, I honestly just stay on the stage against Ike and shoot projectiles. Half charged gyro ***** his up-b since he can't sweet spot. Laser knocks him out of his Up-B too. Won't kill him but it sets up if your gyro isn't ready yet. Seriously though. Ike gets gimped without us leaving the stage. :[

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
ROB basically gets to camp and shieldgrab the entire time and he wins. Once you get a grab, D-throw, and keep regrabbing for as long as you can. Ike can do very little about this if you do it right on FD.

Top Bottom