• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound 4 Travel Info for Norcal READ LAST POST FOR CURRENT PRICES!

Zoap

Smash Master
Intro:
Alright so if you haven't been living under a rock then you know that Pound 4 is the go to Tournament next year for Oos. So basically, this thread will help guide you to airline ticket prices, where to post for housing, where to book your hotel, instructions on how to get to SFO, Oakland or San Jose Airport, How to get from BWI to the venue or hotel. Post your questions, concerns, travel plans(most of us like flying together) etc here. For right now the only airport I'm using as an arrival is BWI.

First Step:
FIRST AND FOREMOST IF YOU HAVEN'T GONE, GO TO THIS THREAD AND READ THE FIRST POST!!

Second Step(Skip this step if unsure of attendance):
Next for the love of God if you know your going GO AND REGISTER!! Prices go up at the beginning of each month after August. Goes up to $55 as of November 1st.

Plairnkk said:
To ensure that everyone doesn't register at once and we have a constant flow of registrants, *Pound* is going to be implementing the same registration system they had for *Pound* 3. Beginning on August first the registration fee is going to go up $2.50 per game played. The same thing will happen at the beginning of August, September, and October up until the close of registration at the beginning of November. This is because we need registrants to help pay for tournament related things as soon as possible.

For example entry for brawl singles+teams will go up to $47.50 instead of 45, but just brawl singles will go up to $37.50 instead of $35.

Venue fee is included in all prices. The venue fee is seperate for Brawl and melee to be fair for for players only playing one game, so if you're playing both you're not paying for it twice, you're paying for the whole venue fee. If you're playing one game, you're paying half.

Melee Singles: $35
Melee Singles+Teams: $45

Brawl Singles: $35
Brawl Singles+Teams: $45

That is going to be the layout on the registration website. If you want to spectate only, there will be a $10 spectator fee available under each game

If you don't have a credit card to purchase online passes, there are no johns because of Visa Gift Cards.

Use this link to see where you can purchase the Visa Gift Cards at a close location to you: http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/...rigin=personal
After you have that done you may note the schedule, currently its Sat-Mon(Monday is a holiday) and Melee is TENTATIVELY scheduled for Sat-Sun. Now we all know that Genesis was suppose to have Friendly Friday, guess what **** changes and schedules that aren't set get reformatted. Please don't be an idiot and book Fri-Mon(leaving Monday), because if they move Melee over your **** out of luck. BOOK Fri-Tues(Unless you want to stay longer and can do so)

THE SCHEDULE:
Plairnkk said:
Saturday: All Melee

08:00 AM: People begin arriving.
10:00 AM: Melee teams begins.
03:00 PM: Melee singles begins.
12:00 AM: Players must exit the venue.

All day: Brawl+ with Jcaesar!

Sunday: Brawl + Melee

10:00 AM: Melee continues until completed
10:00 AM: Brawl teams begin.
07:00 PM: Brawl singles begin.

Monday: All Brawl

10:00 AM: Brawl singles continue.
08:00 PM: Venue closes. Plank cries and attempts to clean up the venue, hopefully with some help.

Tournament format is subject to change based on interest, but this is what we are expecting.
Alright we're to the juicy part. Airline Fares and the links to said prices.

SouthWest is now booking! SFO-BWI Fri-Tues is 295.00 with taxes. Oak-BWI Fri-Tues is 285.40 and San Jose-BWI Fri-Tues is 270.40. For THURSDAY flights tickets are as low as 250.40 roundtrip.

I JUST GOT INFO ON A SALE FOR SFO-BWI for $221 Roundtrip(10/28) Also as of right now SFO-IAD(the other airport plank is picking up from) tickets are only $160 ROUNDTRIP!!!

Flying from SFO-BWI(Friday-Tuesday)Lowest Price $348(Majority):
Expedia
Orbitz
Bing
CheapOair(Ignore the first listed price it flies from SJ-DCA)
Travelocity
CheapAir
Hotwire
Priceline

As you can see flying from SFO-BWI is expensive to say the least, especially considering that when Pound 4 was announced tickets were a measly 228. About 2 weeks from this update(9/21) it was all the way down to 268. If your heart is set on flying out of those two airporst only I would book with Priceline using the "Name Your Price" promotion they have. It can save you somewhere in the ballpark of $50-$100 if you catch it at the right time. Remember though Bing price predictor says there is an 80% chance of price dropping.

OAKLAND HAS GONE DOWN TO $208 ROUNDTRIP BUT IT HAS MASSIVE LAYOVERS ON THE WAY TO BALTIMORE. OTHERWISE IT IS $270 FOR MOST OTHER TICKETS.

Oakland-BWI(Friday-Tuesday)Lowest Price $230(Majority):
Expedia
Orbitz
Bing
CheapOair
Travelocity
CheapAir
Hotwire
Priceline

Alright the great city of Oakland(end sarcasm) has much lower prices then SF. For a reasonable 230 avg(9/21) this may not last so its up to you rather you book or continue to wait it out, this means that Oakland for us Bay people is the best option currently. Remember that Priceline does their "Name Your Own Price" which may net you additional money saved. Southwest is also currently at 230 for their round trip out of Oakland. The issue with Southwest is you have to check in early to get anywhere near a decent seat.

SJ-BWI(Friday-Tuesday)Lowest Price $285(CheapAir):
Expedia
Orbitz
Bing
CheapOair(Scroll down past the first as it flies to DCA)
Travelocity
CheapAir
Hotwire
Priceline

If you fly out of San Jose and live in the Bay Area I hate you. The cheapest price is 285 and but remeber that it was 240 a month ago, try the Pricelines "Name Your Price" and you may be able to beat it.

Mix Your Airports: I DID NOT UPDATE THIS!

For this I only Mixed Oakland and SFO to arrive at some middle ground for those willing to compromise and give up one SFO.

SFO-BWI/BWI-OAK(Friday-Tuesday)Lowest Price $293:

Expedia-173/120=293 round trip
Orbitz-178/120=298 round trip
Bing-179/120=299 round trip
CheapOair-202/145=347 round trip
Travelocity-177/120= 297 round trip
CheapAir-178/120=298 round trip
Hotwire-Doesn't support one way flights : (
Priceline-178/120=298 round trip

293 is your low but with Priceline you may be able to bid under that.

Reversed:

OAK-BWI/BWI-SFO(Friday-Tuesday)Lowest Price $293:

Expedia- 120/178=298
Orbitz- 120/173=293
Bing- 120/173=293
CheapOair- 144/202=346
Travelocity- 120/179=299
CheapAir- 120/173=293
Priceline- 120/173

293 is your low but with Priceline you may be able to bid under that.

Travel from BWI to Venue:
Plairnkk said:
The closest airport is BWI (Baltimore-Washington-International) airport. This airport is about 40 miles east of the venue. From the airport you can take the lightrail to the downtown Baltimore Greyhound station.

The greyhound bus goes straight to Frederick. The bus station and the venue are .8 miles apart. ****. I should be able to make trips here as well, but if all else fails, people can walk to the venue. It's all downtown, so there are tons of people around and it is safe.
As soon as a host hotel is confirmed(Looks to be a set of 3 Marriots) I will update this info with how to get there. If the Hotel currently being arranged goes through please read this post about info on how to get from the hotel to the venue and the rate per night.Also in the Hotels section I will list some hotels as well as prices in the area.

Travel to these Airports:

SFO: Hop on any Bart station(assuming the strike is over) and ride to the SFO station. Get off and fly to Pound 4.

Oakland: Hop on any Bart station(assuming the strike is over) and ride to the Oakland Airport station. Once there get aboard the shuttle to the Airport.

San Jose: I'm not explaining this as its ****ing complicated and I will kill you if you fly from here. Excludes those who live in the area.

Hotels:

Plank has made the hotel deal. It's $89 a night for 2 queen beds and a huge room at the Marriot Suites or Frederick Inn Suites.

Rental Car:
This is not 100% in stone, but as I am getting my airfare for free, I may rent a van. If this is the case I will have spots available to pay for this rental and gas. This will be picky as **** and if I don't pick you well sorry. Most states you have to be at least 21 to rent a car and it will cost you extra as you are not 25(dumb age) so that option is available for the older folks.

Closing Note:

I WILL NOT PAY FOR YOUR TICKET AND HAVE YOU PAY ME BACK.. I haven't tested the links but they appear to work(let me know if they don't). If you need help booking though let me know and I'll try to the best of my abilities to get you a good deal. Those of you flying and already have your tickets, if you want others to fly with you post your itinerary(Airline, Day, Time etc) in here. If you have a special request(specific days, airports, etc) either post, PM or catch my on AIM and we will talk. That's it book your **** people.

UPDATES ARE IN RED

Zoap

Smash Master
If you live in the Bay and can Bart to Oakland or SFO it is. SJ requires Bart-bus-train-bus, just to get to the airport. One of the people I picked up from Bart for Genesis landed in Sj at 7:00am and didn't arrive at the Pittsburg/Baypoint station till 1:00pm. But if you live down there then it is more than understandable to use it.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
This is fantastic work, anyone, not just Cali, should be able to put to use a lot of this information.

I live in Westminster, MD (halfway between baltimore and frederick) and would be willing to ferry people on thursday/friday to the hotel in frederick for the price of $15 per person (provided i take you in groups of 3 or 4). Its much cheaper than a taxi, and much quicker and more direct than using metro/bus combinations.

You can PM me about this as the tourney gets closer. I believe Plank will be doing the same deal, neither one of us will be cheaper than the other, we're more concerned about getting you to the venue and the hotel than competing.

Zoap

Smash Master
Currently San Jose and Oakland have the same price but San Jose's seems more likely to jump as the avg was 306 for the majority of the sites.

Tantalus: Thank you I will list your offer under the BWI-Venue/Hotel heading.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Wow zoap, awesome thread. I am going to be ferrying people on Friday from the airport to the hotel and on Tuesday from the hotel to the airport. I planned on doing it for $10 a person. Yes I will be making profit (about $20 a trip assuming I drive cars of 4) but i'd rather not spend my entire day shuttling people back and forth only to add 700 miles on my car and make no profit since I don't really expect to be making anything off the tournament. The airport is about an hour from the hotels/venue, for those who were wondering!

If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me, I will help with anything I can!

joeplicate

Smash Master
i'm gonna buy my tickets/sign up today

lowest looking one is cheapo air out of sj into bwi, for $256
i'll register first then buy plane tickets, in case anybody finds a better deal for me ^_^

Zoap

Smash Master
if it would cost u less than $56 to get to oakland and back they are holding steady at 240 with taxes. SJ seems to have risen to 296 with taxes.

Don't forget the Priceline Name your price thing, you could save 20-30% no matter where you fly out of.

Zoap

Smash Master
Bump:
dont book on Fridays tickets were $36 higher yesterday. Also SFO has dropped $10 from 352-342.

Also remember price goes to $50 in 2 days for events. Register in the next 2 days to save 2.50. Plank is working out the hotel deal which should be $89 a night with Marriot hotels. Car Rentals are high so if you were considering renting one you may want to wait and see if they go down.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
The hotel deal is worked out already, shes gonna fix the webpage link on Monday, she sent an E-mail to Marriot headquarters. Don't forget we will be providing transportation from airports to the hotel and the hotel has a free shuttle to the venue and back so public transportation is all worked out FOR you....

MaNg0

Smash Hero
i think if i do go to pound 4 ill do what i did for pound 3

wait till the day before the pre register and buy my ticket

gotta keep tradition alive

strawhats

Smash Master
what point marquez?

why would not go to an event that may blow Genesis out of the water

MaNg0

Smash Hero
to prove to u that i wont go

lol

that american pride son

and genesis was ****

strawhats

Smash Master
lol... u know you're as/ even more prideful than ken ever was. No point in arguing w/. the king lol. You mst have inherited that trait from him.

P.S. you r so lucky u get to travel around the bloody country just b/c. u win money. Im your age but its a ****ing battle when i wanna go somewhere, well not if i ask my dad at least. My mom is so over protective its ridiculous.

S.G.

Smash Journeyman
soooooooooooooooo
is there a list of (norcal) people who plan on making the trip anywhere around here?

Zoap

Smash Master
Alot of people have planned to go but no one to my knowledge has bought a plane ticket. Pocky has already registered and Replicate was talking to me a few days ago about booking.

Here is a list of people who have at least said they plan to go:

Myself
PockyD
Replicate
Hyuga
Homemadewaffles
Phil
The Germ
Sidefx
Bob$

Thats just off the top of my head.

Zoap

Smash Master
I have to look at when school starts but where would I stay? Staying on the EC sounds enjoyable as long as it doesn't interfere with school.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i assume if there's interest we can try to find housing

i'm not thinking of spending 4 nights in a hotel or anything if that's your impression

joeplicate

Smash Master
i already registered for melee singles and doubles
have to get my plane ticket though, hopefully i can trade my parents money for frequent flier miles

joeplicate

Smash Master
for sure

not going is a not an option
registering early is a self-promise
staying paid is a non-issue:coolmonke

Top Bottom