• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario vs. Sonic (19) Export

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Sonic

Matchup:

65:35

General info:
Advantages over Sonic:

1. He can not kill at low percents which gives use a major advantage due to our aura.

2. We outrange Sonic with every move. With this you should be able to rack up damage fairly quickly.

Stages:

Pick stages with larger blast zones due to Sonic not being able to kill. With this you can rack up damage easy and survive.

Matchup:

I would say 65:35 and at least 60:40.
When in doubt with lucario use forward anything. ftilt,forward throw, forward smash, and fair are all great.
Sounds dumb, but it's pretty good.

Helpful tips:
Yes I have. And because I have, I CAN say those words with confidence.

Mindgames exist because people fight off of instinct. If you constantly fight off of instinct, you'll pull the same punishable stuff over and over, stuff Sonic mains have usually been trained to capitalize on, because they have to, because their character sucks.

Honestly, I can't see where Frigate would be good, or Luigi's Mansion. Luigi's Mansion allows for jab locks into fsmash if you miss just one tech, although I guess he can't spinshot past you in that case. Frigate I just can't see at all. Frigate is normally good for Lucario because people can't recover on the right side of the first stage very well. Sonic is very good at recovering on any stage, and especially on Frigate because his Spring goes so high, as well as the fact that he can wall jump back if need be if he misses the platform. Also, his dthrow if he grabs you at certain spots will put you in very bad positions where you will be unable to tech your way out of. It's nothing big, but there are better CPs than both, not that it matters. You can really take him anywhere you want to and win. I personally like Pictochat and Yoshi's because of the large size of the stage, plenty of room to kick him around (in your favor while hindering him because of platforms/drawings), and on Yoshi's that platform lets you hide under it and screw with his approaches, similar to Wario.
The matchup is 60:40 if you have limited experience against Sonic. It could even be 55:45 if you have no experience whatsoever. But that's just based on you having no experience, similar to most of Sonic's matchups. <<

If you have complete knowledge of what Sonic is capable of and a bit of experience against the character, I'm really unsure if you can go lower than 65:35 though.

Sonic is the one matchup I don't need to theorycraft. I know this one. =D

How to Win:
You're a killjoy. Looks like the jig is up.

If you actually do need help against Sonic, here's the real deal, I guess. I play Kinzer pretty often, so this should be pretty accurate. Honestly though, if you need help with sonic you suck.

Firstly, learn to tech his Dthrow. It'll really really help in the match-up if you're having trouble against Sonic. If you can't tech it, Sonic has a VERY dangerous tool at his disposal. You should always get a free grab if you tech in place.
Secondly, learn to hit/grab him out of his spin dash. Jabs, ftilt, Dtilt, and Aura Sphere are favorites for me. If he always jumps after hitting your shield with a grounded spin dash, a Nair oos on reaction should take care of that. Once again, if you can't punish Spin Dash, you're in for a VERY annoying fight.
Thirdly, you can dair his dash attack if he hits you. Do this every time he does it until he stops.
Fourthly, always counterpick Yoshi's Isle. He has absolutely no tricks to abuse, and you can hide under the platform and stay safe. Also random platforms popping up prevents gimps.
Fifthly, Fsmash has ******** and VERY deceptive range. Learn it and don't be fooled. Also don't run into charged ones. That may sound like a bit of a no-brainer, but even very high level players fall for the occasional "Hypnosmash."
Sixthly, don't fsmash wildly. Sonic can and will grab anything you do no matter how little lag it has.
Seventhly, DI Sonic's Uthrow TOWARDS SONIC'S BACK. If you DI up, forwards, or anything else, you will fly straight up. If you use a Dair to momentum cancel, you WILL be hit by the spring uair to follow. This actually can be used to your advantage if the Sonic isn't perfect at spacing his uair to beat out your dair, as you can use your dair to kill him off the top in this case, but don't rely on this. Note that he might Fthrow instead if you start DI'ing Uthrows towards Sonic. Fthrow is very fast, and if you are DI'ing towards Sonic while he performs it, once again you will be sent straight up, prime for a Spring Uair kill.
Eighthly, don't ever think "Spring Uair? Are you serious? I'll never fall for that." If you let your guard down, you will. It happens to the best of players.
Ninthly, DI his fair into the stage as fast as you can if he fairs you offstage. Unless he starts it very early, you will be sent towards the stage instead of away.
Tenthly, be careful when landing, or he WILL grab you no matter what you do. Sonic is stupidly fast and can grab anything.
Eleventhly, fair, jabs, ftilt, and Aura sphere are your best friend. Fair will in general beat out most of Sonic's attacks other than maybe Bair. Jabs are good too. Aura Sphere is a really amazing tool against Sonic and should be used often, uncharged and charged.
Twelvthly, Fsmash if he springs too close to the stage. He doesn't autosweetspot and if you're lucky you'll catch him with it as his invincibility ends.
Thirteenthly, if you have to approach Sonic, which you shouldn't, use Fair if it wasn't obvious. It's your best option for approaching Sonic.
Fourteenthly, if he ever uses Homing Attack, punish. Homing Attack is a complete and utter abomination of a move and should be punished whenever used. I like using Aura Sphere if he does it farther away, Usmash if he's locked on, any aerial if you're in the air, or Fsmash if you spotdodge it and he lands in front of you.
Fifteenthly,remember that camping is not supposed to rack on damage itself, but as to force an approach. You can't play keep away with projectiles against Sonic. It just DOESN'T WORK. You're using projectiles to force approach, and jabs, tilts, and aerials for keep-away.
Sixteenthly, it might be good to note that at around 190, Sonic's Uthrow will kill you outright, and that his pummels are the third best in the game bar white pikmin, so you should probably not spend too much time in his grasp, though you may not be able to help it most of the time. Also it is very possible to live to 190 against Sonic if you avoid Fsmash, Bair offstage, and Dsmash.
Seventeenthly, always ban FD. He has a ridiculous amount of supersecret ways to recover on this stage, such as walljumping under the stage to Spin Dash onto the stage, and the stage is just way too flat, giving him tons of free reign to screw with you however he pleases.

Also, courtesy of Malcolm, Malcolm says that the best way to beat Sonic is to roll to the edge and fsmash. Unfortunately, I can't really say I've gotten much success with this strategy because I can't get Fsmash out at the right time to wall Sonic due to him being just plain too **** fast, but Malcolm says that's how Lee ***** him, and that he's done it before to other Sonics and that it makes the Lucario matchup impossible and very very gay.

65:35 Lucario, maybe 6:4 Luc at the very lowest. Sonic is up for a hard fight, but he can win if he tries hard enough.

Seriously though, if you need help with sonic you suck.

Also, sorry Sonic mains. Looks like I just made Lucario even worse for you guys. <<

Stages:
I honestly do like YI because of its huuuuuge blastzones, especially the vertical one. Many people assume the stage is really bad for lucario merely because of the platform, but if used correctly its just as bad as if it were flat, due to the design and how it's placed.
I don't know too much about the sonic MU, but I suppose our lingering hitbox properties, good priority, and big aura boost from sonic's inability to kill makes this a pretty nasty MU for sonic at the highest levels of play.
Our Notable Counterpicks aren't really heavily bogging down sonic [Frig,Yoshis, Japes, Mansion].Going to a counterpick stage means Sonic can mix up his endless amount of options even more. I firmly believe if
you know sonic well you shouldn't have problems at all on a neutral stage as most of his approaches are stopped by lucario if you know how to deal with them. That being said if you really need to counterpick them somewhere...

Frigate - Sonic is never ever ever ever ever ever going to get screwed by stage flips ever ever as long as he has neutral B available. The 1st state's ledgeless left side doesn't even really effect at all since he rarely recovers to the ledge. :< Furthermore he can close the gap quite well on this stage and I don't see any other any other major advantages besides being able to live longer.

Yoshis - Sonics ban this on me ;-; someone else handle this.

Japes - Sonic will neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr dieeeeee. his spindashes aren't very viable on this stage obviously but he will never get water gimped >_> I've died from his smashes on the side on pretty early percentages for sonic from my experience but it's probably just me slipping on DI d: that being said this forces Aerial approaches from sonic which means an easier time beating out his approaches.

Mansion - Don't. Get. Grabbed. if you do you had better tech that Upthrow, or else your going to eat a lot of damage into a guaranteed move of their choice. Running Upsmash sets up a nice tech chase for sonic as well. higher ceiling doesn't really affect either party seeing that both usually KO from the sides. both parties can potentially live for a very long time.

imo Pictochat's pretty good too.

Disclaimer: This thread is made for the sole purpose of keeping matchup discussing clean and organized. If people wish to discuss a past matchup, they may do so in this thread without cluttering the current discussion.

Browny

Smash Hater
well youre right about some attacks... but thats it lol. obvious quicker lucario attacks would be dair, utilt and maybe dsmash/usmash. rest of Sonic's is faster I think

Sagen du Smash

Smash Journeyman
Bad matchup is bad, but its not Sonic's worst...

Sonic can space weak Aura's with his Side B, and gimping Lucario isn't as insane as it sounds. Regardless Lucario holds the keys in this matchup, due to its increasing power, and superb combo game.

iLink

Smash Champion
WTF at mentioning pictochat as a CP...

That's one of sonic's go-to stages to CP because he general likes flat area and he can spindash camp pretty gay on the dips on the ledges. I always make sure to ban it.

I have to say I like Yoshi's and BF mostly for this MU.

iLink

Smash Champion
oh derp I saw it was up pretty recently so I just read it and wtf'd.

Disregard :I

Top Bottom