• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Match-ups: Export #4: R.O.B.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Match-up #4: R.O.B.

Link vs. R.O.B.
30:70 R.O.B.

This match-up is tough due to the off stage game of R.O.B. and his ability to punish a lot of what Link does up close. You can camp R.O.B. provided it's not long range camping, R.O.B. will win if it's long range. Stick to mid range, as you should. R.O.B. still out camps you but at mid range you have a better chance in this MU.

R.O.B. will be trying to grab you more and punishing with Dsmash if you space wrong. Zair is good on R.O.B., but be careful of how close you are, R.O.B. has enough time to grab you after you land from Zair. Do not be offstage for long, R.O.B. can gimp you very easily with a wall of pain filled with Fair.

If R.O.B. goes off stage, don't follow him. Stay on stage where Link is safe.

For stages, Brinstar is nice with R.O.B.'s top getting stuck in the acid. Any stage that doesn't focus on ledge play or aerial games should be good for Link.
Link can outspam ROB, but ROB still has a nasty spam game and neither should his close-up game be underestimated. Dsmash eats Link for breakfast, and fsmash tends to hit Link faster than he can retaliate.
However ROB is a heavy that can be juggled pretty hard with Link's uair. Zair also kicks ROB's butt, which is helped along by ROB's slow rolling game. And, if spaced correctly, it makes it difficult for ROB to retaliate if he tries to shield the zair.
ROB can gimp Link so easily its ridiculous. The real key to having a chance at ROB is to never get offstage. Always go for the whiplash recovery. This means that you need to DI downwards; chances are that if you die because you couldn't grab the ledge quickly enough, you wouldn't have made it back anyway.
At the very least 65:35 ROB's favor, at most 20:80.

zair works until the ROB gets smart and starts shielding and punishing with grabs.

when facing ROB you should be at mid range, not far because ROB does spam you and up close ROB wins with tilts, jabs, and grabs.

ROB should ONLY be 65:35 its not bad enough to be 70:30 and definitely NOT 80:20.
Even if he doesn't PS the zair he can grab you as you land, but only if you are too close. Neutral or retreating zair works well when approaching zair is unsafe.
R.O.B. mains:

None posted LOL

Stages:

Well lets see I find a fantastic stage to vs against ROB I must say is Brinstar, that spinner actaully gets stuck in the lava and ROB Cant pull out a new one. iT gets his spaming game down but overall its still in his advantage
Getting back on track.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
I posted on the ROB boards maybe a little over 2 weeks ago, i'll go find it.

I play against two ROB mains that come to these boards so I know it pretty well.

ROB's Advantages:
1. ROB outcamps
2. Wins up close
3. Wins in the air
4. Can gimp Link
ROB's Disadvantages:
1. ROB is limited when above
2. It's tough when at mid-range
Opponent's Advantages:
1. Can kinda juggle ROB
2. ROB hates zair lol
Opponent's Disadvantages:
1. Loses the camp game
2. Loses up close
3. Loses in air
4. Can get gimped
What ROB should try to do:
1. Camp Link
2. Go through Link's spam and fight up close, though this can be difficult to do
How to do it:
If you can PS his bombs, boomerang, arrows, and zair all in one go then you beat on Link. But like I said it can be difficult because like ROB, Link also has a flexible spam game.
How opponent can stop it:
1. The Link will have to PS the laser and watch for the gyro. Link will want to make sure ROB doesn't get the gyro again.
What Opponent should be trying to do:
1. Link will be tossing bombs, arrows, and boomerangs to keep ROB away. He will also use zair which is difficult for ROB to deal with because he is kind of a big target.
2. Link will just have to space as much as possible at mid-range in order to avoid getting camped and avoid fighting against ROB's awesome tilts and jabs.

While ROB is recovering back to the stage, the Link will obviously NOT be able to gimp ROB (unless some miracle happens) but he will just try to shoot arrows to mess with it and get some extra damage on him.

Ratio:
65:35 ROB
There we go.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Alright, I'll fix the write-up and if it's alright will add your quoted input.

The ratio, 30:70, is only going to staying only because that was what the general consensus at the time.
Ok that sounds good.

Smash Apprentice
The ratio, 30:70, is only going to staying only because that was what the general consensus at the time.
There is no way in hell that this matchup is as hard as D3. What were we smoking thinking. :laugh:

chandy

Smash Journeyman
50-50 coz ROB iz heavy, easily juggled, slowish (so can't take pace of Link's lack of speed)
He'd beat u in range with his laser and gyro. Just make sure you stay as close to him as possible ( =O Ur actually meant to stay close up with Link =O ) although a couple of projectiles is always welcome. Zair is awesome in this MU. Recover as quickly as possible (zair) so that he can't gimp you. Ur spotdodge doesn't have enough frames to avoid his D-smash so roll away and shoot him with arrow or something or jump and dair. If you think he might F-smash then nair his head. Link4midtier

RainissoLink

Smash Cadet
You are all horrible link mains and I have no idea how you're still pulling through with this. You're too stupid to be breathing.

/needed a post

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
You are all horrible link mains and I have no idea how you're still pulling through with this. You're too stupid to be breathing.

/needed a post
-I thought we weren't Link mainz.
-We are cuz we obviously don't crumble under feeble trolling attempts.
-I'm breathing.
-That didn't need a post.

Run along now.

Top Bottom