• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Match-ups: Export #5: King DeDeDe

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Match-up #5: King DeDeDe

Link vs. King DeDeDe
30:70 King DeDeDe

King Dedede's grab combined with his Chain Grab is down right stupid. It forces Link to play super campy otherwise he's going to get grabbed leading to a gimp. Link can out camp King Dedede but his waddle dees will get in the way enough to minimize Link's camp game a bit. Zair is safe, so use it well. Platforms will help you avoid King Dedede's grabbing by camping on platforms.

Link has very little to attack Dedede safely, even if he can, King Dedede has an answer for a lot of them other than just grabbing you. If King Dedede dies grab you, the best thing to do is either tether the ledge or grab it as fast as you can. Dedede's Bair will gimp you if it hit you offstage.

For stages, don't go the Delfino, it gives Dedede so many opportunities to not only grab you but on some parts it will guarantee a death by walk off or a wall. Norfair will help kill him faster and grabs won't be gimps as often.
Important posts:

Always keep a bomb with you at all times to break up chaingrabs. Zair with a bomb every chance you get......there are some really good vids of Deva and Legan showing how to expertly play against DDD. Play as gay as possible and space very well.

DDD ***** Link in pretty much every way possible. The only thing that Link really has going for him in this matchup is zair being safe on block.

If you are on BF or any stage with platforms I recommend platform camping DDD.
Bombs and zair are the key to this matchup. Once you get D3 into the air, the matchup becomes a lot easier. When D3 gets you in the air, you're screwed. lrn2wavebounce.
King DeDeDe mains:

75:25 Dedede IMO. CG's do so much damage and its so easy to grab with Dedede. We can air grab release link from the edge and simply do one bair->edgehog, or just edgehog at the right time. One grab, and theres a good chance of death. Gimping him is so easy. Links gotta space Zair and use projectiles well if hes gonna stand a chance.
Stages:

Not a whole lot of stage info.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Well Since there really aren't any posts for this I guess I'll say some things.

-D3's CG DESTROYS Link. It racks up plenty of damage and puts Link in a horrible position. Once the D3 gets you to the edge he can either fthrow, dthrow again, or grab release (probably D3's best choice). All of these options set Link up for an easy gimp which then means the loss of a stock.

-D3 owns the air. Why? D3's bair is an amazing aerial and is probably one of the best aerials in the game. It has good range, priority, damage, speed, and knockback. Not to mention it doesn't have that much lag. This thing is the bane of Link, it gimps him so easily after a CG.

-D3's utilt is another way he can kill. It's pretty fast compared to some of his moves. Nair > utilt is something D3 can setup because of nair's small amount of lag and because of utilts speed.

-D3's ftilt rivals Link's zair in terms of range.

-Link will have to space and run away the entire match, the most important thing is to hold a bomb in order to at least try and get out of the CG.

-Ban FD. That stage sucks vs. D3, CGs are so easy for him to get and if he CGs Link across the stage, it racks up SO MUCH damage.

70:30 D3

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Since there isn't much in the stage department, I'll...say stuff concerning that that.

Obviously, stages like FD are a nono if you want a chance on winning. With that in mind...stages with platforms are a good choice. You'll want to choose CP stages like;

-BF
-Norfair
-Smashville

Of course, you have to know how to play at the respective stages. If you think it's an auto win for choosing BF then think again, the platforms can hurt you a lot if you're not careful. Space like always.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
From my experience, you never want to be on the same level or right above DDD (common sense)

I have trouble with this match up, but if you do happen to be on the same level spam your rang to prevent being attacked by the waddle dees until you can get to higher ground. Best way to approach is definitely bomb zair.

Keep a bomb on you at all times and play patient, it's going to be tougher to kill due to DDD's weight. You should NEVER EVER use a smash attack in this matchup, all of Link's Smashes have horrible ending lag which would put you in position to be grabbed.

Jupz

Smash Master
Dedede will probably get most of his kills my gimping under 100% or even way less. Carrying a bomb constantly can help this. His Bair beats out links aerials (although your Fair outranges our Bair). Dedede will prove hard for you to kill because he lives the longest with DI.

Top Bottom