• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Luigi only moved up 1 spot? Odd....I saw his name in SNES (Even though he was paired with DDD too) and a few other tourneys...

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
Top 15 spots seem pretty much solidified lol. They move around slightly amongst each other, but the actual characters haven't changed in a while, right?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER

Tien2500

Smash Lord
i love watching these lists change, but this one currently seems to be perfect.
I think Peach is a little underrated while Ness and perhaps Sonic are a bit overrated but overall the list seems to coincide with how I feel the characters rank.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581

Tier list thread is ----------------->.

There is no overrated or underrated here. Maybe over/under-used, but even then that's an excuse for people who can't get placings for characters.

Tien2500

Smash Lord

Tier list thread is ----------------->.

There is no overrated or underrated here. Maybe over/under-used, but even then that's an excuse for people who can't get placings for characters.
I meant over/under rated by the system itself. As in towards the bottom of the list the tournament placings are so few that one good player could skew the data and cause a character like Ness to be rated (ranked if you prefer) higher than he should be based on his actual potential.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
... Mmm.

I really don't feel like arguing why bad characters stay at the bottom and the good characters will come at the top.

Let me ask you how much would it change if Jigglypuff suddenly got representation. That's one example.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
If Jiggly had more representatives... She'd still be near the bottom. Maybe a space or two higher but not by much.

I know representation is not everything but when the placings in tournaments are as top heavy as they are I think the system becomes too sensitive to one or two good players. Basically all I'm trying to say is that the sample size among the lower tiered character is too small to be completely reliable and I just pointed out a couple of instances which I thought demonstrated that.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
every character has at least 2 people thats placing with them in tourneys, dont just look at the representation, look at possible reasonings behind it.

Bowser has awful placings, nobody plays bowser... but why? maybe because bowser really is that bad, and that leads to him not placing well and thus obtaining an accurate spot on the list, (doesnt matter which list were talking about here)

Sonic, has good placing, but why? It COULD be because the people that main him are fanboys, but it COULD mean that hes actually a good character, and people can win with him because of it, which thatn filters into the rankings list, thus helping him to obtaint he spot he deserves...

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
I think what tien is saying is that since the list is very spread out at the top and bunched at the bottom, a single low-tier main could get a good placing or two and bump his character up like 5 spots month-over-month. Like, say, Sonic's or Ness' placing isnt very indicative of the character as a whole, but rather it is merely saying that somebody got a hot streak. Not that i necessarily agree with that, it is possible that Sonic actually is a good character...

Nawwww

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I think what tien is saying is that since the list is very spread out at the top and bunched at the bottom, a single low-tier main could get a good placing or two and bump his character up like 5 spots month-over-month. Like, say, Sonic's or Ness' placing isnt very indicative of the character as a whole, but rather it is merely saying that somebody got a hot streak. Not that i necessarily agree with that, it is possible that Sonic actually is a good character...

Nawwww
Where's Waldo Ness in that post other than the bolded part?

Y'all just be trollin'/jealous.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Hmm, looking this over, Im actually a bit surprised by Mr. Game and Watch. I would have expected him to do a bit better for some reason :\

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I'm loling that there's a person arguing that there's an over representation of Ness in tournaments.

Cuz there's just so many Ness mains. The only ones that go to tournaments that I can think of are Fow and Smash64 and like 4 others... Ref doesn't count since he never enters...

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I'm loling that there's a person arguing that there's an over representation of Ness in tournaments.

Cuz there's just so many Ness mains. The only ones that go to tournaments that I can think of are Fow and Smash64 and like 4 others... Ref doesn't count since he never enters...
Not to mention FOW hasn't placed top8 since SiN. Not sure why some people think most of Ness' results are coming from him.

Coney

Smash Master
well i should add that the two outstanding MKs of the region, KORN and forte, didn't enter singles...if they did, they most certainly would have gotten two of the top 8 spots. in fact, there were only 2 MKs in the 19 man bracket, and only one of them who regularly attends (sin, who made the top 8)

not to say that MK is broken or anything but, just to give a little perspective...

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
God Kais Present: Brawl Bootcamp Lvl. 1
51 Entrants
September 5th, 2009
Midwest (Ohio)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=248085

2: Anther (Pikachu)
2: Lain (Ice Climbers)
3: Judge (Meta Knight)
4: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong)
5: OverSwarm (Meta Knight)
5: Y.b.M. (Kirby)
7: Blue Rogue (Wario)
7: Kel (Meta Knight)

Note: Anther beat Lain in winners finals. However, they were kicked out of the venue before grand finals could take place.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Mythic Vol. 2
9/5/2009
Fredericksburg, VA (MD/VA)
19 Entrants
$10 Entry
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=247893

1: Chu (:kirby2:)
2: MeEP! (:popo:)
3: Candy (:snake:)
4: Logic (:olimar:)
5: Boss (:luigi2:)
5: Coney (:dedede:)
7: Sin (:metaknight:)
7: ESOJ (:diddy:)
wow chu, you did it.

51 Entrants
September 5th, 2009
Midwest (Ohio)

Note: Anther beat Lain in winners finals. However, they were kicked out of the venue before grand finals could take place.
haha nice anther

to meep and lain: step it up ic's mains!!!

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Step it up? They both got second in highly competitive regions and only lost to incredible players like chu and anther. Actually if I recall lain split with anther so.... they already did step it up =/

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
51 Entrants
September 5th, 2009
Midwest (Ohio)

That makes me laugh. NOBODY WINS.

Afropony

Smash Lord
Link: http: //www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=95746&page=418
Tournament: Stigma-H III
Number of entrants: 23
Entry fee: $10
Where it was: Melbourne, Australia

1. Amaterasu (Meta Knight)
2. Attila (Snake, Ice Climbers)
3. Earl (Meta Knight)
4. Afropony (Pit, Meta Knight)
5. Tibs (Diddy, Pikachu)
5. Splice (Mr. Game and Watch)
7. Jei (Pit)
7. Condog (Kirby)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Test Your Might VII
9/12/09
Mentor-on-the-lake, Ohio (Midwest)
50 entrants
$10 entry
(link coming soon!)
1st: Mew2King (MK)
2nd: Lain (Ice Climbers)
3rd: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong)
4th: Shugo (Sonic/Falco)
5th: Y.b.M. (Kirby)
5th: Kel (Meta Knight)
7th: L (Snake)
7th: BlueRogue (Wario)

---

I lost 3-1 to M2K in winners finals and 3-0 to lain in losers. Last week I lost 2-1 to Anther in winners and 2-0 to Judge in losers. Sniff :(

**** anyone who thinks Midwest is easy.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Hey now, besides M2K, that's all Michigan. ;)

Good **** on making it all the way to 2nd from losers' brackets, lain.

prOAPC

Smash Lord

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Most Powerful Shinobi 2
9/12/09
Racine, Wisconsin
31 entrants
$10 entry
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=248680&page=1

1st/2nd - Quik (Wario)/Arty (Falco) (Split, match wasn't played)
3rd - Wafles (MK/Falco)
4th - Hunger (Marth)
5th - Fatboy (MK)
5th - Grimace (Snake)
7th - DLA (Ganondorf/DK)
7th - Akashi (Snake)

Yes, Hunger was using Marth instead of Wario. Quik and Arty didn't have time to play the Grand Finals because the tournament took too long and the venue closed. Since they're brothers, they just spit the pot. I'm not sure how you want to count this, Arty was in the winner's brackets and Quik fought through the loser's.

And yes, that is a Ganondorf you see in 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom