• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TL's NEW AT: 1 Hit KO on 1/3rd of Cast! *courtesy of McDingus and FioD*

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
@phantomx: it's hard to get down but if you predict the bike and space a zair right, it'll hit wario through the bike. And i think we might have enough time to pull that off. I play a wario all the time and I know the zair works, and since this forces a particular recovery pattern TL might be able to pull it off consistently, but if you can bike before we get out there then youre basically ungimpable

@feardragon: I'm sure most good TLs have a bomb in hand and are jumping at most times, so this is not as situational as people think. D-smash can shield poke, and we can shield the bomb ourselves so if we see you're expecting it we can just dodge/shield the bomb. It's not like we're always gonna be short hopping an ibomb by the ledge and taking 1-3% damage each miss.

This can be done any time we have a bomb and are slightly in the air (which is easily 50% of the match for most TLs). If you're waiting below us when we're recovering, then suddenly all opponents realize that if they're a couple frames off on an attack or if we predict their movements, it means VERY dire consequences. And it punishes landing better than any other move in TL's arsenal. And with TL's basic tether-hogging, a lot of characters are forced to go into their fall special just above stage on a distant recovery, so we can ledgehop into the BCDG. And we can force that recovery with the regular dsmash gimp below 20-30%.

If it makes it so you are no longer near us when we are falling down to the stage and have a bomb, then that's doing its job just as well. The attack itself may be situational, but it's very easy and quick to pull off. Knowing this, it should make opponents shy off us and give us more control. And if they don't we just kill them.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I have never been gimped off my bike by anyone in a tournament set, Zairs or not.

Also, I said even if he has the waft, if he has no bike he's screwed.

As mentioned, this is a situational tech, and situational kills still happen in tournament... dsmashes shouldn't work at high level play, but they still get them off sometimes.

LordshadowRagnarok

Smash Journeyman
The Mr. Game & Watch solution to this:
See TL do that deal with the bomb- Fsmash. TL either A) Gets torched, B) Gets Bombed AND torched, or C) Gets Burned & Bombed if he air dodges. If G&W is on the ground, he's already set up to kill you. If he's not on the ground, he's not going to get hit by the Dsmash. Either way, you're about to be hit by a disjointed hitbox while you explode yourself.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
@feardragon: I'm sure most good TLs have a bomb in hand and are jumping at most times, so this is not as situational as people think. D-smash can shield poke, and we can shield the bomb ourselves so if we see you're expecting it we can just dodge/shield the bomb. It's not like we're always gonna be short hopping an ibomb by the ledge and taking 1-3% damage each miss.

This can be done any time we have a bomb and are slightly in the air (which is easily 50% of the match for most TLs). If you're waiting below us when we're recovering, then suddenly all opponents realize that if they're a couple frames off on an attack or if we predict their movements, it means VERY dire consequences. And it punishes landing better than any other move in TL's arsenal. And with TL's basic tether-hogging, a lot of characters are forced to go into their fall special just above stage on a distant recovery, so we can ledgehop into the BCDG. And we can force that recovery with the regular dsmash gimp below 20-30%.

If it makes it so you are no longer near us when we are falling down to the stage and have a bomb, then that's doing its job just as well. The attack itself may be situational, but it's very easy and quick to pull off. Knowing this, it should make opponents shy off us and give us more control. And if they don't we just kill them.
To this very long thing I will give a pretty quick reply. It's situational because:
-As vietgeek said, you need to hit with the tip so that means it isn't just "as long as it hits"
-This won't work unless you're close to the edge of the stage
-Whether you're jumping around a lot during a match or not, who says I won't be jumping around a lot as well? That ruins your setup on a lot of characters doesn't it?
-Probably won't shield-poke if you're aiming your shield right. Especially since you'll be busy pulling out a bomb and hopping around to lower their shield significantly enough.
-All the other stuff I said before

Phantom said it best. Sure you CAN get this off in a tournament against a good player, but it's not a matchup or ratio changer. It's just another trick in TL's bag. I'm just posting this because a lot of people are making it out to be some kind of revolutionary matchup breaker.

Great....more bashing on us. :(
Well you guys go around proclaiming you can kill more than a third of the cast at 0%, ya you're going to have people trying to find flaws with your theory. We're not bashing YOU.

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
The Mr. Game & Watch solution to this:
See TL do that deal with the bomb- Fsmash. TL either A) Gets torched, B) Gets Bombed AND torched, or C) Gets Burned & Bombed if he air dodges. If G&W is on the ground, he's already set up to kill you. If he's not on the ground, he's not going to get hit by the Dsmash. Either way, you're about to be hit by a disjointed hitbox while you explode yourself.
We cancel the airdodge with a zair, then shield the bomb. Either that or DI towards you and only get torched (since you're forced to use it before we land or eat the hookshot. actually you'll take the zair each way i think, it'll just trade hits), or if you don't space perfectly, DI away and shield the bomb. And, more importantly since most people don't seem to realize this,

TL DOES NOT HAVE TO COMMIT HIMSELF TO THIS ATTACK EVERY SINGLE TIME HE SHORT HOPS WITH A BOMB NEAR A LEDGE.

If we see you preparing to punish us then we can just use our second jump, toss a bomb down, and hit you with a dair out of the bomb (possibly getting the second hit off and finishing with an instant bair/uair if we're good with spacing for a ~40% combo). Or just use our second jump to get away from you.

EDIT: @feardragon: you're right, this isn't a matchup changing move for the most part, and we don't have a setup, but the fact that we're always in the air with a bomb just means that we're ready to use it at any time. So if you leave yourself open it will happen. And as far as the tip thing goes, it's not very specific so you have a very large portion of the first hit to hit with. I've already used it a few dozen times so I know it's not all too hard to pull off.
also, it works a decent distance away from the edge, a few body lengths, so maybe over 1/5 - 1/4 of FD, and since a lot of fighting happens more towards the edge (since we camp, and don't stay near the middle too much) it's even more probable.

So, situational- yes. As bad as everyone makes it seem- no. Just another (very dangerous) move in TL's arsenal

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I wouldn't say they are "Resistant," but I'd put them at 50% minimum, their side b is far more (vertically) useful and versatile than that.

- I also feel that many of the Doomed/Vulnerable have better chances of Of course, this is where you call in the cavalry and have all the character-specific pros elaborate on their recoveries. :p

- Marth can stall with Side B but it also kills his momentum, not useful for his recovery afaik (I'm no Marth expert, though). FAir helps, though.

- Yes, you can S/DI the first hit.

Deadly and cool. I like it.
Your words will be taken to heart for the information/video update... ^_^.

Wario is probably only "vulnerable" if he can't use bike.
*writes down notes for testing* Thank you.

Your recoveries in the video weren't good at all, and I'd like to see some testing with actual DI.
The opponents were DI'ing up for the initial hit in the footage. Extensive DI'ing has not been done yet. But luckily, the video will be updated.

Well, for the doomed characters in dispute, I will gladly retest... (how about you help send me replays of 'good' recovering opponents. I'll be happy to post your footage in the updated video with credits.

The vulnerable categories consist of a shot of them landing on stage, and a SMALL example of how a TL may pursue and mindgame the final followup blow. If you have better examples of TL's killing a good recovering opponent then PM me and send a replay and i'll post it in the update video.

*Remember, the video was intended more as a instructional tutorial for the Toon Link boards. It's not supposed to be a blunt statement towards other mains. I apologize on behalf of myself and the toon link boards if it was carried across in that way. The percents ARE being re-evaluated*

***Original Post Updated! Update 1.01***

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
This is highly overrated. The chances of landing this in a game are the same as landing Ike's FSmash. Both could one hit KO, just Ike's FSmash doesn't involve gimping.

Good luck.

Dilly04

Smash Cadet
This is definitely interesting...

but LOL at the Wario biking away from the stage. That's just stupid. It wouldn't happen.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
-As vietgeek said, you need to hit with the tip so that means it isn't just "as long as it hits"
Not quite. I meant that you cannot do it to airborne opponents at the tip. It'll just send them up. Then they'll FF and hit you or whatever.

What this means is:

- It's further restricted in how it can be set-up (further depends on the FOE's position)
- If you have a bomb and are trying to do cross-ups on the opponent's shield, all they have to do is jump and get 12-13% over dying.

- TL has to commit to this and if he fails he's gonna get hit.
- Telepaths itself due to TL's playstyle. Why would a character that HAS to camp to succeed in vB suddenly want to charge at me with a bomb in hand? Regardless if he wants to do this gimp or not, it's fairly obvious he's trying something.

- Slightly better compared to the original gimp except can now be done at all %'s.
But the prerequisites to make the old gimp successful was rather still demanding, requiring facing the stage and being near the ledge; something you don't quite want to set yourself up to. Add to the fact that this requires a specific set-up (bomb in hand, Ibomb then buffer dsmash BEFORE bomb makes impact on ground) and you have something even more situational than frame perfect pivot grab CGs.

Very creative, but unfortunately TL is too limited to set-up these things. There's a reason why he has to camp, remember now.

As for people still complaining about the little details: you need to shut up and stop getting +1 post counts. You should be glad the Brawl community is as free and willing to distribute information like this.

In other fighting game communities (you know, ones with games not entirely flawed by design like Smash), it's mostly a "if you're good, you'll get it" sort of mentality. Nothing is organized nicely for you to simply browse over and find. It's this way in most of the Melee board too.

So be glad it was documented and hyped up all nicely for you and not kindly demonstrated to you in a match that counts.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I hope you guys realize this is a tech for when an opponent closes the gap between thenselves and TL ( which is what almost every character does) and not just a random tech you throw out.

How often does TL have a bomb out when camping? A lot.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
The one thing I really like about this tech other then the obvious set knock back is that the stun for hitting yourself with a bomb is most likely less then the hit stun and cool down toon link would have to deal with hitting a shield with his dsmash.

So not only did you guys make your dsmash deadlier but safer as well, you should all look at the frame data and see how much frame adv you guys get for hitting your opponent shield with only half of your dsmash and while your at it test for other attacks as well that could be used like this.

maybe if you guys are really lucky you could use this to pressure shields and if it hits try to follow it up with a gimp.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
- TL has to commit to this and if he fails he's gonna get hit.
- Telepaths itself due to TL's playstyle. Why would a character that HAS to camp to succeed in vB suddenly want to charge at me with a bomb in hand? Regardless if he wants to do this gimp or not, it's fairly obvious he's trying something.
Yeah, we wouldn't have to do that. You could just approach and we could do it.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Ok I just read through some of this thread and wow @ you guys.

Situational? It's not like the TL is going to do this every oppertunity he has to. There are plently of other options in this situation the TL can do instead. It's a matrter of the opponent guessing if he's going to try this or not. Since most players don't know about this tech, yay. Possible free kill. If they do know about it and are cautios, yay free something else and going back to camping/ whatever they wrere doing before. You guys you watch some of the moere technical players and see JUST HOW OFTEN they can pull off situational stuff.

For those who are like "we can recover": First, you'd have to react fast and know about this. Done that? Good. Now all you have to worry about is Tl going offstage to hit/ spike you.

Judo777

Smash Master
I think its a great find and ofc its not gonna be a game breaker but its an interesting trick to pull out every now and then plus if u arent trying it all the time people wont be expecting it so they might not DI right immediately. I think u should definitely test to see if tether charcters can tether the stage immediately after getting hit.

And sorry but i have to agree that wario has sooooo many options when recovering that he really should be resistant. He can jump first, or even waft first then pull out the bike and have u completely miss him. The fact is he has a great horizontal option via the bike and great veritcal options via bike and waft. Combine that with a second jump and up b thats just too much. I feel like it would be just as difficult as regularly gimping wario which falls into the resisant category.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Yeah, we wouldn't have to do that. You could just approach and we could do it.
Almost all approaches in this game are done via aerials. Aerials in this game catch items, or hit them.

An airborne opponent caught by this has a HIGHER chance of being popped up over being gimped due to dsmash hitbox placement.

You're gonna have to get someone to whiff something major to set this up reliably unless it's like against some crap tier character that has subpar range and no poke moves.

To put this lightly and as kindly as I can:

Feel free to consider this a viable option to gimp and as a GTFO. However also know that most of the characters that even matter in this game (read top and high tiers) have the ability to camp also, and this is all one needs to provoke the behavior, or rather increase how much the other opponent is willing to do so.

Like most of the newer "ATs" that technical players can apparently use in high level play, this one is likely overhyped and because of the nature of its set-up and the required conditions to make this favorable (using it as a GTFO is obviously not favorable application of it considering everything else you could've used that would've eaten up a lot less frames).

Some people consider the mere existence of this as a godsend. Others can tell it like all other situational set-ups with supposedly amazing outcomes will come by and go as quickly as it was conceived.

I am rather satisfied with everything I have said here. With that I leave as there is no interest to remain here.

I love Viet. No homo. <3
I know. I miss him too.

Back on topic. Some things people need to get though their head. There are 3 categories for the AT:

1: Doomed- It's pretty much impossible to recover.
2: Vulnerable- There is a chance of recovery.
3: Resistant- You're pretty much guaranteed to recover.

Some people are complaining about the recoveries used in the video. If you are complaining about Lucas' or Ness' recovery, or anyone else's recovery that isn't DOOMED, just stop. You can still recover. It doesn't matter what recovery method you use. THINGS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE. This is because

THIS AT IS STILL IN IT'S INFANCY.

New discoveries will be made. Toon Links will learn how to do this with their eyes closed. Others will keep their eyes peeled and learn to avoid it. This is what will determine the fate of this AT.

As of right now, the AT is labeled SITUATIONAL.

Situational doesn't mean that it is impossible, or that it will never happen. Situational means that its possible, given the right circumstances. Like I said, Toon Links will learn how to increase and abuse the chances of these circumstances actually happening. Non TLs will learn how to close the gap. This AT is STILL DEVELOPING.

Instead of writing this AT off because it's situational, or because the video has inaccuracies, we should be focusing on how to use/avoid it. We can't assume it won't happen because the chances are slim. We have to assume that it can happen at any moment, and be prepared for it.

That isn't to say that it WILL happen at every opportunity. IT WON'T. Toon Links aren't stupid.

We can cancel the BCD at last minute. For one, we don't HAVE to iBomb and buffer the DSmash. We can just Z drop it, and if anything goes wrong, hit A to catch the bomb and do an aerial. We can shield the bomb, since we're supposed to hit the floor first anyways. We can Dair at last second and have the shockwave push our enemy back. If none of this happens, we could just take the 3% and fly away from our enemy. Taking the 3% for the most part is probably better than being vulnerable for half a second.

Also, the BCD method shown on the video isn't the only way of doing the AT. Not all Toon Links are going to be stupidly standing on the edge, waiting for our opponent to approach (or worse, stand perfectly still in front of us) and then BCD. We have methods of doing this from a short hop, full hop, double jump, recovering from the ledge, recovering from above, etc.

What I'm trying to get at here is that this is a growing AT. It needs more tests, and more practice, but IT HAS POTENTIAL. DON'T BE STUPID AND IGNORE IT.

Have a lovely day. :)

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
The only situational thing about this seems to be the predictable bomb drop which looks pretty easy and quick to set up. After that the trajectory (also quite simple.).

This is mainly a threat to characters with ****ty recoveries.

The only situational thing about this seems to be the predictable bomb drop which looks pretty easy and quick to set up. After that the trajectory (also quite simple.).

This is mainly a threat to characters with ****ty recoveries.
...and characters who counterpick stages with water in it.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
This is actually relatively easy to pull off against CPU's. Don't say this doesn't mean much, because it does. I get they aren't humans or good, but it isn't situational like...at all...

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Back on topic. Some things people need to get though their head. There are 3 categories for the AT:

1: Doomed- It's pretty much impossible to recover.
2: Vulnerable- There is a chance of recovery.
3: Resistant- You're pretty much guaranteed to recover.

Some people are complaining about the recoveries used in the video. If you are complaining about Lucas' or Ness' recovery, or anyone else's recovery that isn't DOOMED, just stop. You can still recover. It doesn't matter what recovery method you use. THINGS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE. This is because

THIS AT IS STILL IN IT'S INFANCY.

New discoveries will be made. Toon Links will learn how to do this with their eyes closed. Others will keep their eyes peeled and learn to avoid it. This is what will determine the fate of this AT.

As of right now, the AT is labeled SITUATIONAL.

Situational doesn't mean that it is impossible, or that it will never happen. Situational means that its possible, given the right circumstances. Like I said, Toon Links will learn how to increase and abuse the chances of these circumstances actually happening. Non TLs will learn how to close the gap. This AT is STILL DEVELOPING.

Instead of writing this AT off because it's situational, or because the video has inaccuracies, we should be focusing on how to use/avoid it. We can't assume it won't happen because the chances are slim. We have to assume that it can happen at any moment, and be prepared for it.

That isn't to say that it WILL happen at every opportunity. IT WON'T. Toon Links aren't stupid.

We can cancel the BCD at last minute. For one, we don't HAVE to iBomb and buffer the DSmash. We can just Z drop it, and if anything goes wrong, hit A to catch the bomb and do an aerial. We can shield the bomb, since we're supposed to hit the floor first anyways. We can Dair at last second and have the shockwave push our enemy back. If none of this happens, we could just take the 3% and fly away from our enemy. Taking the 3% for the most part is probably better than being vulnerable for half a second.

Also, the BCD method shown on the video isn't the only way of doing the AT. Not all Toon Links are going to be stupidly standing on the edge, waiting for our opponent to approach (or worse, stand perfectly still in front of us) and then BCD. We have methods of doing this from a short hop, full hop, double jump, recovering from the ledge, recovering from above, etc.

What I'm trying to get at here is that this is a growing AT. It needs more tests, and more practice, but IT HAS POTENTIAL. DON'T BE STUPID AND IGNORE IT.

Have a lovely day. :)
Haha, couldn't have said it any better.

Yes it's situational, but BCD is still developing. Toon Links aren't idiots, they aren't going to stand at the edge with bomb in hand waiting. Even if we drop the bomb, it doesn't mean, "yep they're definitely doing that AT, I can see it coming a mile away", there are numerous options, most of them mentioned by TWINK.

If we do perform BCD, & the bomb does blow TL up, TL can Nair or possibly Zair> Nair

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Audio desync is fixed. Better audio experience. :D

Update video will come later.

@ Other SKILLED mains: Replay examples of any SKILLED main epicly surviving this move and getting epicly mindgamed gimped by this move are HIGHLY appreciated and will expedite the update video process. Please PM me if you have footage you want to send to me. Credits will be given of course... let all of youtube know that you have survived a seemingly "unsurvivable" attack lol.... Start sending those footages! >:D

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
This sounds interesting, though I kinda am curious about it. After watching the vid, this MIGHT be possible, but idk. Some characters weren't using the full recovery options that they may have. Take example:

Mario: His cape can help him recover horizontally slightly, so he may actually have a small chance of making it back.
Marth: Like Mario, Side-B slightly helps him recover slightly and with stalling to throw off some of your timing. This isnt certain if he'll make it.
ZSS: Her Side-B can be an alternate "Tether recovery" if u aren't hanging on the ledge. If u r on the ledge, it will just function as an attack, so be careful not to get hit.
Fox: Midair Jump + F-air gives him some higher elevation than a regular midair jump, and remember he can still stall a bit with the Reflector hover stall thing (Down B a lot in mid-air).

I haven't tested it, but I am going through with the knowledge that I know about character recoveries. As u said it is situational, so yea, but I hope I have helped out a bit.

Glad Pit's resistant to it <3
And Bowser too >.<

2nLio

Smash Journeyman
i see this "situational" AT becoming very helpful in a teams match...

and i have to agree with demonictoonlink, this technique isnt impossible to land considering Tlinks have a bomb in hand 80% of the time.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
i see this "situational" AT becoming very helpful in a teams match...
and i have to agree with demonictoonlink, this technique isnt impossible to land considering Tlinks have a bomb in hand 80% of the time.
'Bout teams... that's what some of the other TL's and my bro and I are starting to wonder about. If anything, even against those 'resistant' it'll separate the opponents from each other (as the BCD practically swooshes the partner away with wind powers--windwaker... now i get it...lol) for a decent amount of time.

You could also have like TL send an opponent off and have the other partner seal the double jump and kill.

Even funnier applicatoin that we are fiddling with is a "windwaker catapault" where TL spirits a partner (resistant of course so the partner will live) clear across a stage (if there are platforms) or offstage with GREAT distance coverage and stupidly surprising speed. My brother Arc-thefallen- (toon link) hurls me (Pika) off the stage towards an unsuspecting recovering opponent, and the opponent may get a killing n-air close to the sideways death-extremity. It's so epicly hilarious seeing it done. ^_^

2nLio

Smash Journeyman

'Bout teams... that's what some of the other TL's and my bro and I are starting to wonder about. If anything, even against those 'resistant' it'll separate the opponents from each other (as the BCD practically swooshes the partner away with wind powers--windwaker... now i get it...lol) for a decent amount of time.

You could also have like TL send an opponent off and have the other partner seal the double jump and kill.

Even funnier applicatoin that we are fiddling with is a "windwaker catapault" where TL spirits a partner (resistant of course so the partner will live) clear across a stage (if there are platforms) or offstage with GREAT distance coverage and stupidly surprising speed. My brother Arc-thefallen- (toon link) hurls me (Pika) off the stage towards an unsuspecting recovering opponent, and the opponent may get a killing n-air close to the sideways death-extremity. It's so epicly hilarious seeing it done. ^_^
rofl, it must be really awkward for the person recovering seeing their opponent being thrown at them as a projectile.

but yea in a 2v1 edgehogging after the BCD with a team mates help makes things a lot easier. Ill see if i can test out some grab releases from a teammate into BCD

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Wow, there's a lot of negative feedback on this one...

I hope I wasn't considered to be doing this... I tinker with TL as well, so I personally find this to be a VERY interesting tech for him... and another option.

As somebody stated, it seems that the bomb hit would actually make dsmash safer on shield anyway... so that's pretty cool, even if it misses.

And as you perfect this, and research it more, you'll create a nice little set of when this is applicable, on which characters it works, and how to set it up...

Personally, I just know that Fox definitely isn't on the "doomed" category, because rising Fair pretty much doubles his second jump height, putting him actually above stage level, where he could illusion or firefox back onto stage...

Still somewhat of a bad position, but Fox's recovery is pretty adaptable, so it will still be somewhat tricky to edgeguard.

Anyways, I'm just trying to help... hope I haven't come off as anything other than that, because I actually appreciate the work you guys have put into this.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Heh I just read this, ZSS can DI down over B grab the edge kinda the same way Link can with grapple.

Also boost jump + down B will allow us to recover if we didn't DI down, but hell it will kill **** early due to our light weight. without the tether grab we have a slightly better than average recovery distance, too bad both of them don't refresh on hit.

Also we can and will tap jump out of our down B if you are hogging, or hell we could just try to spike but that shouldn't ever work.

Unlike most tethers we have infinite chances, so if we are high a legit move is
boost jump, down B, over B, to get you off the edge, up B, recovered, seriously you should be trying to hit us with arrows to intteruppt our first 2 moves, but then you risk us sneaking around you and tethering instantly, ZSS is hard to gimp...

Also good luck hitting this in a match, once ppl are looking for it, it will almost never land, and shouldn't ever land but hey, trips.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Playing around with implications, also good job TLs

Taking a look at this, next step is probably figuring out who you can actually use this against, setting up situations that it would be usable either if you predict opponent's moves or you punish with it.

For Marth, whiffed dolphin slash is obvious (but rare) and probably a shielded tipper f-smash, get frame data on the fastest way to do this, and figure out what you can punish with this.

Next step is to figure out how common they would be, this is very important, cause it's effectiveness is very reliant on that. I'm telling you right now, Marth is probably gonna be unfazed by this tech because he's gonna be trying to keep you out of that area the entire match and has the tools to do so, not to mention, he's got tons of ways to react to it when he sees the set-up.

Actually, a lot of characters are great in that spot.

That said, figure out your OTHER OPTIONS FROM THAT POSITION, especially the ones that are countered differently and the choice between them cannot be reacted to, this will create a guessing game, and against the right characters if you guess right, you're either auto-killing or setting up for a gimp.

And most importantly, now you're exploring how to use the bomb to cancel your moves, what else can you do with this?

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
For Marth, whiffed dolphin slash is obvious (but rare) and probably a shielded tipper f-smash, get frame data on the fastest way to do this, and figure out what you can punish with this.

That said, figure out your OTHER OPTIONS FROM THAT POSITION, especially the ones that are countered differently and the choice between them cannot be reacted to, this will create a guessing game, and against the right characters if you guess right, you're either auto-killing or setting up for a gimp.

And most importantly, now you're exploring how to use the bomb to cancel your moves, what else can you do with this?
The same effect can be accomplished with a SH>bombpull>Quick-bomb-drop (where the bomb is z-released high enough so that it explodes and does not lie on the ground)>BCD. Towards the end of the video I had an example of the 1 Short-hopped version but in that one, there were 'flames' on teh opponent. The true, non-flame version can be done (however, the timing is very narrow).

A more practical version of the short-hop version is doing the same thing SH>bombpull>quickbombdrop> but then pivot the dsmash. The pivoting takes the narrow window off of pulling the true non-flame BCD on because the bomb is behind you and the opponent should not get hit by the bomb as easily. It sort of integrates with RAR's very well, that or surprise GTFO situtuations when TL is retreating from an advancing opponent. Those are when you DONT have a bomb already in hand. If the TL already does have a bomb, the TL could perform the move on the fly. I'll be sure to get some frame information on those setups (I need to ask some1 with hacking software tho... anyone willing to help me?).

Elsewhere within tactical discussion just recently, there is one report/rumor that the killing cancelled dsmash could be acheived through sheer pivot sliding the downsmash. Technically, that could be the fastest option if it is confirmed (going to test).

I think u-smash could be cancelled and you could follow up with f-air, n-air, or even a killing u-air if you DI the bomb cancel blast towards your opponent. Technically that feat has been performed by TL's a lot of times already, but mostly as a 'when it happens' thing--doing it deliberately may be a new approach in killing (WTF... TL can kill better? lol) if the frame advantage calculations work out. Shield pressure could be consciously exploited more also, since bombs bounce off oppenents' sheilds anyway you could mix in a falling z-air to whittle more shield down, throw in some jab cancels>charging smash of choice and either hit the opponent with following mindgames, or cripple their shield before the bomb cancels your charge/smash attack safely. The result could be even better if you could space the bomb so that it hits both you and your opponent (safer) when it cancels your attack.

Interesting thoughts and take on the technique and great insight!

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Mario should be under Vulnerable.

He can Cape Stall a few places after being hit to outlast the InvinciFrames from the speed hug then UpB back or just to save his second jump and give him more height, perhaps to shoot of a Fireball to knock you off the ledge. I'd also like to point out how quick and disjointed Mario's UpB really is. The option if Zedging to regain those frames of invincibility is a very good idea, but the UpB happens so quickly and has such a disjoint that you might actually be hit midzedge if you aren't Frame Perfect with it in respect to Mario's UpB. Mario can also angle his UpB which may aid him in simply landing on the ledge while you are on the edge.

As a Mario player I do think this is pretty scary, but I don't think it's as easy of a gimp on him as demonstrated. I think you'd have to follow up after it to get rid of him for certain. If you want I can grab Nearzzz or maybe HyRo and test some stuff out for you.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
On the ledge you can drop down, double jump, Zair, cancel it with down, and re-grab the ledge for full invincibility frames. Takes like, half a second.
"Chain canceling".

tocador

Smash Lord
On the vid, c.falcon couldnt recover because he was facing forward, but if for some reason he is facing backwards, he can come back as his Falcon hug its better when front to the stage :D.

I'm hearing a lot of people talking about stalling in the air, for example, with Mario and Marth's Side-B. True, it can stall them in the air for more time, and should be helpful to them, but TL has a plan for that. This is from Fox is Openly Deceptive's guide:

Ledge Re-Grab
How to Perform: Grab onto a ledge, Hit Backwards then Z twice really quickly.
Effect: Toon will regain his Invincibility frames really quickly. He will let go of the edge, Zair then snap to the ledge.

In theory, even if you stall, there's nothing stopping us from regaining our invincibility frames. It takes like .25 seconds to perform, and we can do it 3 times.

Top Bottom