• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DDD's standing infinite should not be banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Y'know what I meant (maybe not).
No I don't.
I can see the argument of banning Meta Knight.
I'm also for banning Snake because he makes many characters less viable, too.
And for banning all tactics that might somehow make a character less viable.
And I'm for banning Marth because noone likes Marth anyway.

c wut i did thar?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Upb Braking? Really?

Do you know how useless that is vs Wario? Seriously... Upb Braking isn't going to let DK REALLY survive any longer than usual against Wario since he'll most likely get punished for doing it and die anyways. Huge character in Freefall above Wario? Terrible lol. When I suggested Fsmash, I meant as a punishment for Upb Braking, for getting back onto the stage the wrong way, or to punish lag on his Upb if it's not safe/if the edge is not available for him to safely grab.

Also for the Side B turn around to Bair suggestion, what happens when Wario moves UNDER DK? Not just to the side, but Under? Wario moves faster than DK in the air and changes directions in the air more fluidly than him, so it's not far-fetched to think Wario can position himself pretty well against DK when he gets sent flying.

true up-b braking isn't that good but like someone else said, DK is going to be spacing like crazy since all wario does is jump around and dodge to avoid us and grab SERIOUS FALCO SYNDROME. land a f-smash you say? why land when you risk getting grabbed and taking 20+% and dying at 90%
and are you really going to chase DK off stage and be under him? that's pretty dangerous.
side B turn around is bad, neutral b turn around is better.

oh well, we'll decide this at no koast

Valiant

Smash Rookie
I dont think DDD's infinite should be banned, 1 because alot of other characters have infinite CG's ~CG=chain grab~ 2, because DDD's chain grab decays, meaning when its done after conescutive times, the opponent starts moving farther away from it

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
How is it not a good way to go about this? In SO many other games, characters with disadvantages would have to live with their disadvantages... What makes brawl any different? Just pick up a character that you can use to counter DDD and you'll have no infinite problems as far as counterpicking and blindpicking are concerned... Why should you guys make a huge scene over a matchup you refuse to simply counterpick? I don't see any other community making a big deal over picking a secondary.
It looks like I wasn't clear on this.

You were essentially saying why not pick an S tier, by referencing those characters saying if the infinite was banned why wouldn't you pick these characters.

Character choice is a preference, people have different reasons to pick up who they do. The quote is questioning why people wouldn't play top tiers.

An argument like that doesn't go anywhere when character preference is a personal choice.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
It looks like I wasn't clear on this.

You were essentially saying why not pick an S tier, by referencing those characters saying if the infinite was banned why wouldn't you pick these characters.

Character choice is a preference, people have different reasons to pick up who they do. The quote is questioning why people wouldn't play top tiers.

An argument like that doesn't go anywhere when character preference is a personal choice.
Even when you prefer a character and decide to only play as that character, you won't be able to outmaneuver glaring weaknesses... In this case, DK's ability to get infinited by DDD. No matter how loyal you are to your character, you're going to have to learn another one if you ever hope to win any high level tourneys, especially in a play-to-win scenario like ours.

And the fact that I posted S tiers was intentional: I could've pointed out A tiers too, but S tiers are the ones with the best chances of giving you wins in a tourney, so I used them when I gave character examples. You could easily change any of them with any other character.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Even when you prefer a character and decide to only play as that character, you won't be able to outmaneuver glaring weaknesses... In this case, DK's ability to get infinited by DDD.
Your quote was about the infinite banned. In which case DK would be Viable.

This would be applicable if it wasn't banned.

No matter how loyal you are to your character, you're going to have to learn another one if you ever hope to win any high level tourneys, especially in a play-to-win scenario like ours.
Some people don't care about the tier placement. They can accept the weaknesses of their character and keep playing.

I do it with my characters no matter how bad they may be, Link for example.

And the fact that I posted S tiers was intentional: I could've pointed out A tiers too, but S tiers are the ones with the best chances of giving you wins in a tourney, so I used them when I gave character examples. You could easily change any of them with any other character.
You could, but people will still pick who they want for whatever reason they want. People typically do better with S tiers, but people still want to play who they do because they have their own reasons.

Your quote is basically questioning why they don't play S tiers instead of Donkey Kong if the infinite was banned. Well, there are multiple reasons, and playing to win might not be the main one even for some people who are successful.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
true up-b braking isn't that good but like someone else said, DK is going to be spacing like crazy since all wario does is jump around and dodge to avoid us and grab SERIOUS FALCO SYNDROME. land a f-smash you say? why land when you risk getting grabbed and taking 20+% and dying at 90%
and are you really going to chase DK off stage and be under him? that's pretty dangerous.
side B turn around is bad, neutral b turn around is better.

oh well, we'll decide this at no koast
Dunno. 0 -110% + positional advantage + time to build waft vs. usmash for like 20% and death at like 90 from fsmash...

Seems even if you think about it that way, Wario still has the edge.

There's the price of Dedede's Standing Infinite being gone.

Please, everyone who advocates banning Dedede's Infinite in order to make Donkey Kong (and it pretty much only is Donkey Kong) more viable, why should Donkey Kong players be the only ones that should get their characters be more viable?
Why don't we ban other tactics in order to make other characters more viable?
You're wrong. There is absolutely no price to pay for banning the standing infinite. The only things that the ban can bring is joy, money, more attendance at tournaments, and a larger community. There is absolutely no downside whatsoever for the standing infinite being banned. The slippery slope argument doesn't really fit this debate.

Either way, the reason DK and Luigi should be freed from the standing infinite, and nobody else should be "protected from their problems" is simple. There are a few reasons actually.

#1. The standing infinite seems to require the least amount of space of any 100%+ CG barring Pikachu on Captain Falcon and the Ice Climbers infinites. As such, it can be performed on any stage, at any time, even on platforms. The only exception to this is when Lylat occasionally messes with the standing infinite slightly and throws things off slightly if they are on the main platform. By banning Lylat, DK and Luigi are screwed.
#2. D3's grab range is the largest non-tether grab in the game, which when combined with the fact that the CG requires very little space, the standing infinite becomes a devastating tool that can be performed at any moment, on any platform, and can be set up using the easiest, most efficient, and most commonly used defensive option in the game: The Shieldgrab. Combine this once more with the fact that most standing infinited characters are close-range combat, and you may be able to realize just how horribly matched these characters are. Also remember once again that unlike the Ice Climbers or characters who require room to perform regular chaingrabs, King Dedede cannot be separated, and he always has the largest non-tether grab range, making the conditions to set up the standing infinite even easier.
#3. If it weren't for the standing infinite, DK and Luigi would actually matter in the metagame. As much as one may say this is just speculation, and that other characters exist that bring down DK and Luigi, the fact remains that DK and Luigi have a variety of good, well-placed matchups that allow them to become a powerful force unless the opponent actually mains or is otherwise well versed in their counterpick characters. With the standing infinite in place, anyone can, and if they want to win, will pick D3 to completely eliminate those 7 characters from the brackets with virtually no preparation required. With the standing infinite in place, Luigi and DK's potential can never be truly identified because of the ease of which they can be counterpicked.
#4. Possibly the most important fact about the standing infinite is that it is, in fact, a standing infinite, and will ALWAYS result in death, unlike most CGs which have no finisher and leave the opponent at a high %. Other CGs have a starting and eventually a point where the CG will not be possible anymore. For example, Falco cannot be CG'd in place before 20%, and the farther up you go past 20%, the less effective the CG will become, as it will end at a lower % than if you started at 20%. This is not the case for the standing infinite. It can be started at any point in time, and will always end at 300% with an instant killing throw.
#5. There can be a definite ban criteria to ban the standing infinite. Other than the common-sense based "Standing Infinites are banned" rule, which is pretty hard to get around in its own right, if one really must be specific, one could simply say "While chaingrabbing, King Dedede must initiate an initial dash between regrabs." and be done with it. There is no way to get around that rule, no arguments about how many regrabs are allowed before the next wave, and the only non-infinited characters affected by this rule are Charizard, Wario, and Ganondorf, all of which are already CG'able, and who only escape about 2-3 regrabs at most across FD. I doubt the DDDs will be devastated at this loss.

In short, with absolutely no preparation or experience with DDD whatsoever, you have the power to not only force a huge chunk of time being lost on the clock, but an instant kill from any % on any stage on any platform at any time using the most basic defensive option in the game by a character with the largest grab range on a character with either very poor or no projectiles whatsoever who would otherwise be completely viable in competitive play. However, this alone is not the problem. As an ironic twist, the sheer ease of use of this tactic is actually apparent enough to completely erase otherwise viable characters from the metagame, and actually has been proven to both operate in this fashion commonly, and that it actually has been affecting tournament results. For example, at CH3, Boss lost to Basic Sausage, a random DDD who won with the infinite.

If a response involves "there are other characters who have matchups in which they get wrecked, such as Jigglypuff vs. GnW but we're not helping them," I shall tell them the core differences between Jigglypuff vs. GnW and King Dedede vs. Donkey Kong. For one, Jigglypuff vs. GnW is a clash of many encounters, slowly building up damage like a regular match, while King Dedede vs. Donkey Kong is decided in 3 attacks that hit King Dedede's shield, a near-perfect defensive option that comes out in one frame. Jigglypuff vs. GnW cannot be fixed with the simple ban of an overpowered glitch or exploit. And most importantly, there's the psychological aspect that gives Jigglypuff users the illusion that they have a chance against GnW. By drawing out the battle and leaving both users in complete control of their character, the Jigglypuff user gets the illusion that they can actually win. With the standing infinite, all of your options are wrenched from your fingers. You cannot move, you cannot DI, you cannot do anything but watch as your opponent takes a few minutes to move you on up to 300% using the same, boring motion over and over again, and then finish you with bthrow. There have been studies that have shown that the absolute most horrible feeling that one can get from a video game is the feeling of helplessness that you get when you become completely unable to control the fate of your own character.

Also I'm going to be pissed if this post gets overlooked. I swear I'll repost it if that happens. I spent way too much time typing this. :<

Nanaki

Smash Lord
OK, I'll bite.

If a response involves "there are other characters who have matchups in which they get wrecked, such as Jigglypuff vs. GnW but we're not helping them," I shall tell them the core differences between Jigglypuff vs. GnW and King Dedede vs. Donkey Kong. For one, Jigglypuff vs. GnW is a clash of many encounters, slowly building up damage like a regular match, while King Dedede vs. Donkey Kong is decided in 3 attacks that hit King Dedede's shield, a near-perfect defensive option that comes out in one frame. Jigglypuff vs. GnW cannot be fixed with the simple ban of an overpowered glitch or exploit. And most importantly, there's the psychological aspect that gives Jigglypuff users the illusion that they have a chance against GnW. By drawing out the battle and leaving both users in complete control of their character, the Jigglypuff user gets the illusion that they can actually win. With the standing infinite, all of your options are wrenched from your fingers. You cannot move, you cannot DI, you cannot do anything but watch as your opponent takes a few minutes to move you on up to 300% using the same, boring motion over and over again, and then finish you with bthrow. There have been studies that have shown that the absolute most horrible feeling that one can get from a video game is the feeling of helplessness that you get when you become completely unable to control the fate of your own character.
I'm not going to respond to the rest because, quite frankly, it doesn't matter. The infinite wrecks those characters (mostly just DK and Bowser though, the others can mash out before 100%). We know this, we don't care.

The 'clash of many encounters' argument is pretty silly. Who cares if it's 3 attacks or 100 attacks if you're equally screwed either way? In a competitive environment, you lose either way and either get sent to losers or knocked out. You don't want to play the matchup either way if you're almost guaranteed to lose.

The 'psychological aspect' that gives the 'illusion' that Puff can actually win makes zero difference in competition. The studies about the horrible feeling of helplessness don't really matter here. You're venturing into the realm of 'fun' again, which has no real place in a competitive environment. You either win or you lose. If you lose in a lame way, or in a blazing pile of glory, the end result is exactly the same - you lost the match.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
To be quit frank, this entire thread is a waste. All 688 replies (including this one).

Why?

Because TO's will keep it banned because very, very few DDD mains actually care - and those who do likely aren't going to not come to the tournament because they can't do their standing infinite. It also increases turnouts of any DK/Mario/Luigi/Samus mains that may be in the area. It's simply a profit for the TO and everyone's happy.

Anyone arguing against it's ban, too bad. It's pure profit for TO's - so why not have it banned if it doesn't significantly alter gameplay?

Everyone arguing for the ban, it's already banned in most areas. No need to argue your point - you don't need the SBR to back all the rules you want.

Nanaki

Smash Lord
To be quit frank, this entire thread is a waste. All 688 replies (including this one).

Why?

Because TO's will keep it banned because very, very few DDD mains actually care - and those who do likely aren't going to not come to the tournament because they can't do their standing infinite. It also increases turnouts of any DK/Mario/Luigi/Samus mains that may be in the area. It's simply a profit for the TO and everyone's happy.

Anyone arguing against it's ban, too bad. It's pure profit for TO's - so why not have it banned if it doesn't significantly alter gameplay?

Everyone arguing for the ban, it's already banned in most areas. No need to argue your point - you don't need the SBR to back all the rules you want.
Can you have it closed then? Please?

As long as the official SBR ruleset has it banned, I'm happy. I don't really care what TO's do, that's up to them.

That said, nothing new has been said here for pages and pages now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom