• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Walking

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
0. Hey guys if some of you know me from AiB I have been trying to spark a bit more research and discussion into Lucario's metagame and well seeing Phil so enthusiastic about helping at AiB and here I figured I might as well too.

0. Sup?
1. Integer Aura Damage Increases
2. Non-Stall DAir
3. Projects that need to be worked on...

1. First up is Lucario's Aura Damage Percent increases. Most of it is copy/pasted from my original post of it and some of the info you may already know, but for those who don't... This is useful.

The Aura damage increase beyond 75% slows down, also all unchangeable moves get a boost at 75%. Many of Lucario's Aura based moves have what I like to call "Aura Growth Lag" meaning it takes awhile for it to even start increasing much (ex. his Up Tilt doesn't increase in a full percent of damage until 45%). Some of the growth rates below 75% are rather strange, but it seems the ones after 75% are rather predictable.

Since some people like details... I tested this on in Training Mode (no move degradation, yay) on a character at 0% (healed after every move test). I did not include every little .1% of an increase because that would take me alone probably over two days non-stop (I love Smash, but that is ridiculous).

Other Data Interpretations

As you may already know 170% is the damage cap for Lucario's Aura (not like you'll always be surviving past that point anyway). The power of Lucario's moves at best double when he's at even stock with his opponent.

Did you know that Lucario's second Jab doesn't even do 3% when he's at 170%? You guys might want to consider just using A->Force Palm over AA->Force Palm because of less risk and it almost does negligible damage.

If tl;dr when you hit 75% with Lucario go to town damaging your opponent.

Aura Growth Comparison of moves (Ledge Attack omitted):
Initial damage 1%, peak 2%: Second Jab
Initial damage 2%, peak 4%: First Jab
Initial damage 3%, peak 7%: Third Jab, Forward Air
Initial damage 4%, peak 8%: Up Throw, Up Tilt
Initial damage 4%, peak 9%: Down Tilt, Neutral Air (Late)
Initial damage 5%, peak 10%: Aura Sphere (No Charge)
Initial damage 5%, peak 11%: Force Palm (Far)
Initial damage 6%, peak 12%: Force Palm (Middle), Up Smash No Charge (Late), Back Air (Late)
Initial damage 7%, peak 14%: All Three Jabs, Up Air, Force Palm (Close), Forward Throw
Initial damage 7%, peak 15%: Neutral Air (Begin), Double Team
Initial damage 8%, peak 16%: Back Air (Begin)
Initial damage 8%, peak 17%: Up Smash Full Charge (Late)
Initial damage 9%, peak 18%: Force Palm (Grab), Up Smash No Charge (Begin), Forward Tilt
Initial damage 9%, peak 19%: Forward Smash No Charge, Down Smash No Charge
Initial damage 11%, peak 22%: Down Air, Forward Smash No Charge (Tip)
Initial damage 12%, peak 25%: Up Smash Full Charge (Begin)
Initial damage 13%, peak 26%: Aura Sphere Full Charge
Initial damage 13%, peak 27%: Forward Smash Full Charge, Down Smash Full Charge
Initial damage 15%, peak 31%: Forward Smash Full Charge (Tip)

2. Back in early August we started discussing how to do this in AiB and with some tinkering around I figured out how to do it. (Major props go to Nubsta and Phil for bringing it up and inspiring ways on how to do it.)

So far there are two ways known to do a non-stall DAir that’s not out of hitstun.

1. Fast Fall Non-Stall: This is where you fast fall and buffer it into a DAir. If you inputted it correctly Lucario will fall slightly while using DAir. You can cancel the second hit if you’re close enough to the ground. Technically it doesn’t negate stalling in the air, but it slows it down.
2. Rising DAir: When Lucario’s shield gets hit by an attack and it isn’t perfect shielded there is a time when you can jump up and do a rising DAir, forward rising DAir, or a backwards rising DAir. From my tests I have noticed that this happens when you jump out of shield when it is being pushed back and then DAir. However, this will require more testing because the possibilities are very applicable. So far it seems like it is the easiest to do when your shield is hit with a higher shield knockback move (think Snake’s tilts and the like). Again this is a very awesome discovery that could really help us against characters like Marth.

3. WIP Projects that need help.

The rising DAir has a lot of potential and if someone could get some videos up of it to analyze and discuss that’d be awesome (as I lack the means to) and would be greatly appreciated. The FFNS DAir has some combo potential too.

What really needs help figuring out when Aura Sphere out prioritizes moves. To know when it beats a certain common move will help widen our options against it. The chart I made linked earlier in this post will make it easier to figure out.

So far we know…
10% Aura Sphere beats Mach Tornado.
*Marth's non-tippered FAir will get out prioritized by an Aura Sphere that does 20% (Lucario needs to be at least around 91%).
Marth's non-tippered FSmash gets out prioritized when an Aura Sphere does 22% (Luc needs to be at least around 117%).

*Note: I'm not 100% sure on this, but it seemed like the lower part of Marth's FAir had less priority (as weaker Aura Spheres hit), but I'd need the conformation for that. However, to be safe 91% and 117% should be key percents you should be noting when dealing with Marf.

Here’s some that John12346 found on AiB.
John12346 said:
Assuming no decay and Fully Charged Aura Spheres:

Lucario at 58% beats Snake Ftilt hit 1
Lucario at 79% beats Snake Ftilt hit 2
Lucario at 117% beats Snake Utilt
Lucario at 39% beats MK's Dash Attack
Lucario at 0% beats MK's Tornado
Lucario at 155% beats MK's Tornado with BAS
Lucario at 104% beats MK's Glide Attack
Note: Due to all of Meta-Knight's other 'A move' attacks having laser priority, Aura Sphere will go through everything else, even if Lucario's at 0% and uses a BAS
Lucario can't beat GaW's FSmash
Lucario at 142% beats Dsmash
Lucario at 0% beats the Turtle
There are other things I’m probably forgetting, but this should be helpful and useful to Lucario’s developing metagame.

Mace.

Smash Rookie
Excellent work. Every little bit helps Lucario's metagame. I think that rising Dair really needs to be properly investigated.

Browny

Smash Hater
Posting to remind myself to link to my videos when I used a lot of non-stall dairs when I get back home :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0yq5xmRtzk

5:09 (falling dair)

8:25
8:37
8:56
and these 3 are all rising dairs

I know to normally do one of these, you have to do it while immediately out of hitstun, but i think i was definitely out of hitstun for a while before dairing in these cases :/

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Thanks guys.

I can confirm that rising DAir can work with a full hop or a short hop. If we can master this and its down to the last hit against someone like Marth and Marth hits your shield with FSmash its pretty much guaranteed you'll kill him with DAir.

iRJi

Smash Champion
A random person posting (to me anyway) with good information. This should happen more often. lol.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Interesting, DJBrowny. It looks like you jumped out of falling after being hit and then did the DAir... Hmm that'll actually have some interesting application...

So now we have four ways to non-stall DAir (posting here, so people don't have to look at the giant WALL OF TEXT):
1. Out of hitstun.
2. Jumping and doing DAir after being hit.
3. Buffered Fastfall to DAir.
4. OoS Dair after getting your shield swatted.

Whoever said Lucario had no advanced techinques needs to be slapped.

@iRJi - Well, this information has been gradually been posted to AiB for the last 6 months or so. I'm really surprised nobody copy/pasted this to SWF yet (I'm looking at you, Phil j/k you're the reason why I'm here). For the past year or so with the help of a few others I've been gradually trying to improve the output of the AiB Lucario boards. I looked over the match-up threads in SWF and AiB and thought to myself that Lucario's metagame has to be deeper than what people thought, so I encouraged some think-tank-talks and after a few tests and such... Here we are.

I saw Phil recently contributing to both SWF and AiB, so I felt I might as well make the jump to here and do what I can to help out.

I also kinda run the match-up threads for the AiB Lucario forums and I even put that on hold because I knew we had some really serious metagaming ahead (and I am kinda lazy), fortunately my laziness patience paid off.

Nice to be meeting all of ya! If anyone wants to discuss this kind of stuff on MSN or something I'd be happy to.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Interesting, DJBrowny. It looks like you jumped out of falling after being hit and then did the DAir... Hmm that'll actually have some interesting application...

So now we have four ways to non-stall DAir (posting here, so people don't have to look at the giant WALL OF TEXT):
1. Out of hitstun.
2. Jumping and doing DAir after being hit.
3. Buffered Fastfall to DAir.
4. OoS Dair after getting your shield swatted.

Whoever said Lucario had no advanced techinques needs to be slapped.

@iRJi - Well, this information has been gradually been posted to AiB for the last 6 months or so. I'm really surprised nobody copy/pasted this to SWF yet (I'm looking at you, Phil j/k you're the reason why I'm here). For the past year or so with the help of a few others I've been gradually trying to improve the output of the AiB Lucario boards. I looked over the match-up threads in SWF and AiB and thought to myself that Lucario's metagame has to be deeper than what people thought, so I encouraged some think-tank-talks and after a few tests and such... Here we are.

I saw Phil recently contributing to both SWF and AiB, so I felt I might as well make the jump to here and do what I can to help out.

I also kinda run the match-up threads for the AiB Lucario forums and I even put that on hold because I knew we had some really serious metagaming ahead (and I am kinda lazy), fortunately my laziness patience paid off.

Nice to be meeting all of ya! If anyone wants to discuss this kind of stuff on MSN or something I'd be happy to.
Hey man, no complaints here lol. I am actually glad that you are here. The more, the better. I use to be the main person for this board, but I stopped posting as much due to people being rude, and me also being busy. I actually just made my statement that i will be posting a lot more now since some people are gone. Well, welcome to the boards. As long as you follow the rules and support your ideas, you and I, as well as everyone else will get along fine =]

I am going to make the rules thread soon. Have fun everyone.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
MythTrainerInfinity? hah i remember seeing you on the smogon forums, i had no idea you played smash
I still go there and I even just made a post in Policy Review right before I replied to this one. Nice to see a fellow Smogon user. Yep, I decided to get into the Smash scene because of the money it would allow me to interact with a fun community. Smogon gets a little too heavy into debate and loses a lot of focus into having fun. Plus... even though I am the US National 2008 21 and under Checkers Champion I don't make crap from that game :p Nah, its just nice though to join and participate in a community where people aren't breathing down my neck every minute.

Hey man, no complaints here lol. I am actually glad that you are here. The more, the better. I use to be the main person for this board, but I stopped posting as much due to people being rude, and me also being busy. I actually just made my statement that i will be posting a lot more now since some people are gone. Well, welcome to the boards. As long as you follow the rules and support your ideas, you and I, as well as everyone else will get along fine =]

I am going to make the rules thread soon. Have fun everyone.
Yeah, I really didn't like some of the attitudes that I saw people had while lurking here. We WiFirollspam Lucarios can contribute stuff :p In all seriousness I'd really like to go to an IRL tourney sometime though. I look forward to helping you guys out here and with more people on AiB and SWF Lucario boards contributing... Communication of newer things will just get quicker and hooray metagame progress.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I am currently moving the information on this thread into the guide, since its something we didn't have before. Like other people infinity, you will be credited for the post.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Oh hey guys. My Wii has access to WeeFee at college now and I remember saving a replay of me doing a forward rising DAir, but I lack the equipment to upload it to YouTube or even get it on my computer.

Would anyone be willing to give me their Wii number, so I can send the replay, and they could put it on YouTube so we could analyze this tech?

Also, RJ, you have 666 posts.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Oh hey guys. My Wii has access to WeeFee at college now and I remember saving a replay of me doing a forward rising DAir, but I lack the equipment to upload it to YouTube or even get it on my computer.

Would anyone be willing to give me their Wii number, so I can send the replay, and they could put it on YouTube so we could analyze this tech?

Also, RJ, you have 666 posts.
Send the replay to my Wii. My numer is 8782 8928 8997 5379. I would be glad to upload it.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Ahhh stupid Nintendo, so you need to have a friend code for Brawl and Wii Number to send this? Anyway my Wii code is 7278 7668 8882 8575. Added both.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Ahhh stupid Nintendo, so you need to have a friend code for Brawl and Wii Number to send this? Anyway my Wii code is 7278 7668 8882 8575. Added both.
Or if you made the video on the comp, all you need to do is send me the replay.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Or if you made the video on the comp, all you need to do is send me the replay.
I don't know how to transfer stuff from my Wii to my computer.

>.> Anyways to whomever I get the replay to the very very end is where it is (stupid CPUs). Scratch that I just made a better one that shows several kinds of rising DAirs and I messed up a lot, but at least it is confirmed how we do it.

It can be done by a full jump or a short hop.

Edit2: Sent it to ShippoFoxFire.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I don't know how to transfer stuff from my Wii to my computer.

>.> Anyways to whomever I get the replay to the very very end is where it is (stupid CPUs). Scratch that I just made a better one that shows several kinds of rising DAirs and I messed up a lot, but at least it is confirmed how we do it.

It can be done by a full jump or a short hop.

Edit2: Sent it to ShippoFoxFire.
Mm, Ill talk to him and get the replay from him later.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Mm, Ill talk to him and get the replay from him later.
We went on lol WiFi and I taught him how to do at least the regular upwards jump DAir. We saved a bunch of replays and he'll upload them later.

If you're impatient I could teach you guys how to do it right now on WeeFee if you want.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
I've explained it before and people have a hard time catching onto it. I must've posted my discovery of it on AiB like three or four months ago.

Anyways, here's how you do it:

When your shield gets hit with an attack you can jump forwards or backwards or just straight up and do a DAir. It requires really specific timing where your shield is being pushed back. Its kinda hard without showing you via WiFi or whenever Shippo gets our examples set up on YouTube.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
ah yes i have done this before as well. although i thought you meant doing a rising dair without the opponents help...

anyways, it needs lucario to still be in shield stun right?

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
ah yes i have done this before as well. although i thought you meant doing a rising dair without the opponents help...

anyways, it needs lucario to still be in shield stun right?
Yes. However, this has a lot of potential for application. There might be some properties that are undiscovered that might benefit us a bit more too.

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
I have been experimenting with this a bit, but I feel it's more a gimmick than a helpful technique. Considering Lucario has to be hit or in his shield to use it, if you are fighting an opponent who can properly space, it's not going to help you that much at all. Lucario isn't exactly known for his "out of shield" game. ^^;

As far as doing it when you are hit, that's helped me a lot more. When you get hit and use it, it can really help punish your opponents follow up attack, but that's situational and probably not a good idea because you don't want to get hit.

I highly doubt using it out of shield is going to have any huge impact personally. You can test it out, but like I said, seems more gimmicky than applicable at high level play.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
You can apply a lot of shield pressure to Snake with dropped 'nades.

If Marth fails to kill you with an FSmash or something that you manage to shield, easy way to swat him away with a rising DAir.

There are more applications to it, but we need a video for us to analyze properly. Just gotta wait for Vex to finish editing.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I feel that its also a bit gimmicky, but none the less it's something that couldn't hurt to know.

Edit: Just to comment on the Marth Fsmash comment. You do know that if its close range there are better punishment options, and if its tipped your not going to get to him in time. Just wanted to point that out.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm not sure how, but I was able to do a falling dair yesterday. I was hit by a move, did a rising one and then was able to do a falling one...weird stuff.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I'm not sure how, but I was able to do a falling dair yesterday. I was hit by a move, did a rising one and then was able to do a falling one...weird stuff.
Not weird, you just didn't gain full momentum of your character when you casted the move. Does anyone wonder why we throw moves when we are DIing? It's because we are trying gain back the momentum of the character model that is being sent to the death line. Lucario's Dair will not have the stopping effect if you cast the move while you don't have full control of lucario's momentum.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I forgot to mention that the second one came waaaay later after my momentum had stopped.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I forgot to mention that the second one came waaaay later after my momentum had stopped.
So to be more in detailed, You did a rising dair, and while in teh air (lets say about 4 seconds or a tad bit less) while you were comming down did a falling one? Because if thats the case my explanation still stands. You really didn't have it fully yet, even if you felt like you did. Sometimes you can be moving you character like you have full control, but you still don't. It's weird, but ya lol.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
If you fastfall and do a DAir right after... you get to do a falling DAir.

Yeah DAir has a lot of weird properties.

Top Bottom