• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Kirby Matchup Thread, now discussing: LUCAS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
What if we buffer jumps while getting off of your egglay, and are out of a fullhop uair range? What will be your options? If you dj uair, we'll just airdodge past you once we see your double jump activate (by the "cute" sound on frame 5, or the extra jump range/weird animation you'll be doing while starting it up), if you upB at us, we'll also fastfall airdodge, and if you don't do anything, we'll try and land far from you or on the ledges.

By no means am I saying that you don't have any options, but a well-played match will be seeing little to no uairs connecting on Kirby due to being an awesome multi-jumping character.
I think you misunderstoof me. I wasn't really thinking of Egg Lay follow ups, but more of you trying to mindgame/pressure in the air above/in front of us. It's a relatively safe option in that case. But I don't doubt you being able to dodge s a rising uair, just know we can potentially predict it and punish with Down B or some other aerial, though that's not too likely. =P

This Mu is really boring to watch, from my experience. It's usually really defensive on Yoshi's part, and really campy/tricky on Kirby's part with his jumps. Not too fun to watch. XD

If we're retreating upB, our range is more than enough to keep away characters with no real mid/long-range attacks (like ZSS's sideB, DDD's ftilt, or transcendent priority projectiles like Falco's laser)... Which we can abuse to reach the ledge safely, as well as land on the stage and use our projectile to force you to jump/dodge (or shield if you're far enough and won't make it anyway) meaning a safe landing... So it's not really an attack we'll be using on you, more like an alternative to fastfall airdodging to the stage.
Ah, cool. Just know that if we're far enough away, we can just egg you. Usually would hit, though sometimes the blade manages to block the egg and outrange the explosion, though it's not too likely.

Yeah, the egg roll thing... Sad thing about that being his ONLY youtube vid practically, is that you can't realize that some things he might have made were mistakes... Like when I'm ZSS and dsmash close to the ledge, my opponent shields it, and I accidentally buffer a dair when I'm pushed off the edge. He used to tell me whenever he was doing egg roll (they taste good btw) that his intentions were upB reversals, but since he was already rolling he might as well try it since he's going to get owned anyway by a mortar slide/Kirby grab if he stopped to get out of it.
Yeah, I've made some Egg Roll (delicious) mistakes before too. One actually cost me a stock in a tourney set since I SD'd due to egg rolling off the stage instead of egging. >_<

I'd like to see falling egg lays in action... In my mind, it seems like Kirby could evade them pretty well since we don't want to follow you while you're doing dairs and bairs, anyway.
Yeah, I can (attempt) to draw a diagram...

. . . . . . . . . . . . Y
. . . . . . . . . . ./
. . . . . . . .. . /
. . . . . . . . . /
_______________________K

Basically, Yoshi is falling along that trajectory (/). At a certain height, he Egg Lays while retreating. It basically forces you to dodge, since it's un blockable, and due to it being a grab move, you can't beat it with an attack unless you get around the hitbox, which is hard due to the momentum. A Dair at a certain height will AC, making it pretty safe for landing since Kirby's uair is relatively weak (I think.)

He's actually got a pretty average speed on the ground, but he's fast enough to start chasing as soon as we see where your aerial momentum is taking you, giving us the ability of reaching your landing site before you get there if you're not careful enough.
Yoshi doesn't accelerate as fast as WArio, so this is entirely possible. It's still not too easy, but entirely possible. It gets harder when the Yoshi uses defensive options(above section).

Which is why our game would primarily revolve around lowering your chances of running away by getting in the way of your jumps, forcing you to DJAD by brickwalling escapes with bairs, then chasing your landing trajectories... PRIMARILY. Everything else is important, but our goal is to limit your escape options so we can stay on top of your character, stringing as much as possible.
Sounds about right.

Ok, let's see...
1) Dash attacks' hitbox lasts long enough to punish landing lag, so predicting dodges of any kind by activating this attack beforehand would FORCE you into getting hit if you dodge.
2) Fsmash's hitbox is pretty weird... I actually think of it as a multi-hitbox, since it has two different phases in which the attack varies in knockback and damage, as well as the hitbox stays activated for a long while, like Jigglypuff's pound... The first 3/4 of the hitbox is the strong, early-killing crazy attack (kills light characters at ~80% if angled upwards, even if they DI), and the last 1/4 of it sends enemies upwards and is definitely weaker... It's a frametrap because we can activate it when you're about to land, and still hit you with the strong side of the attack, meaning a landing mistake might cost you a stock.
3) Dsmash's hitbox is active for a couple of frames, just like our fsmash, but its hitbox is always the same instead of changing into a weaker one(as well as it's pretty disjointed both vertically and horizontally), and it sends you upwards. It would kill light characters at 130-140%, but it's an EXCELLENT landing lag punisher since its horizontal range and long-lasting hitbox allows us to have a large error window and STILL hit (we can start the attack too early, too late, too far, too close [...] And still hit).
Thanks for the info. They all seem really nice, though a Falling Egg Lay/aerial can potentially foil your frame traps. =P

Aslo, Fsmash's power/speed ratio is so dumb. >_>''

Which is awesome, since it means the MU discussion is going places... :bee:
It won't last too much longer, seems like we're nearly done. =P

/Adding to massive wall.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
So, in conclusion to a Kirby MU discussion about Yoshi:

Limiting Yoshi's escape options as much as possible so we can actually do some damage, and chase you in the direction you're DJAD'ing towards so we can continue delivering attacks... Our best approaches would be diagonal approaches, since it's Yoshi's hardest spot to defend and our easiest to exploit... And we should be watching out for ground-level shenanigans Yoshis can pull off on us (egg-lay, pivot grabs, dairs, upB reversals and jabs/tilts), so a diagonal aerial match is a better choice in most scenarios.

After all we've discussed, new and old info altogether... What's your ratio on the matchup? :|

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
That's pretty much it. The MU goes a lot like that. If you're posting a summary you may want to add in some of Yoshi's defense options (Usmash, Falling Egg Lay, etc.) just to let everyone be aware of them.

Warning: The majority of the match will be VERY boring if both players are playing as careful as they should be. MASSIVE CAMPING. Reminds me of the Lucas MU. >_<

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Warning: The majority of the match will be VERY boring if both players are playing as careful as they should be. MASSIVE CAMPING. Reminds me of the Lucas MU. >_<
Lucky for me, I have a very active Kirby gameplay, so you'll never see any camping from ME! I'm usually rushing out characters and giving them no time to think about what to do next (involves lots of heavy reading and fast reactions, as well as many different buffering maneuvers)....... Which is a little thing I picked up from maining ZSS before Kirby.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
So, in conclusion to a Kirby MU discussion about Yoshi:

Limiting Yoshi's escape options as much as possible so we can actually do some damage, and chase you in the direction you're DJAD'ing towards so we can continue delivering attacks... Our best approaches would be diagonal approaches, since it's Yoshi's hardest spot to defend and our easiest to exploit... And we should be watching out for ground-level shenanigans Yoshis can pull off on us (egg-lay, pivot grabs, dairs, upB reversals and jabs/tilts), so a diagonal aerial match is a better choice in most scenarios.

After all we've discussed, new and old info altogether... What's your ratio on the matchup? :|
Oh good ninja edit. XD

I'd say it's 60:40 Kirby advantage at worst. It might get to 55:45, but that's pushing it for now. XD

Lucky for me, I have a very active Kirby gameplay, so you'll never see any camping from ME! I'm usually rushing out characters and giving them no time to think about what to do next (involves lots of heavy reading and fast reactions, as well as many different buffering maneuvers)....... Which is a little thing I picked up from maining ZSS before Kirby.
Lol, nice. This one match I had took 5 minutes for the first stock to be lost. That was so tedious. >_<

This, gentlemen, is how you efficiently finish MU discussions. =P

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Oh good ninja edit. XD

I'd say it's 60:40 Kirby advantage at worst. It might get to 55:45, but that's pushing it for now. XD
Iif it can reach 60:40 Kirby's at a given moment, then it should be left 60:40 Kirby's.

[rushes A1 to conclude it as 60:40 Kirby's before anyone else says anything]

Lightning93

Smash Champion
So, I heard you guys were doing a rundown of Fox. I'd go from anywhere 55:45-45:55.

Kirby is very easy for us to combo and gimp, due to his slow aerial movement (comparatively), and is fairly easy to kill as well. However, the same applies to Fox, because of his falling speed. You guys can get a good guaranteed 30% with CG I believe, and then after that everything is psuedo-based.

Your fsmash can kill us stupidly early, but in terms of gimping I would have to say Fox wins. Kirby is prime cut for shine spiking and drilling, and because Fox has a multitude of quick and drawn out recoveries, it may be harder for you to get in a b-air, f-air, d-air, side-b, whatever. Recovering above the stage, or directly underneath is probably your safest route, but directly underneath is still at risk of well-timed shine spike, and recovering above is asking for an F-air/U-air. NEVER approach at a downwards angle from Fox, that's just asking for it. I'm sure you could somehow bait a gimp though, and punish with your extra jumps accordingly.

Also, I know Kirby has mean swallow/stage-spike gimps, so we Foxies have to stay away from the edge.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
so is it D3 or fox, cuz u say D3 and the title says fox. I have extensive experience on both by the way.
I was going to do D3, but it turns out they've had a recent discussion of him. So fox.

Some things to discuss:

1. Neutrals. Which are good for each char, which are bad?

2. What should each char be doing? Not be doing? Be watching out for?

3. Inhale. Should Kirby take Fox's power or keep inhale open? (If Fox breaks out of Kirby's inhale while kirby is in midair, fox needs to DI away (the direction kirby is facing) from him, or otherwise he gets footstooled. It's basically an auto-gimp).

4. What are some CP's for each side? Bans?

5. Walls of text. They are good.

6. A list of pros and cons, for each character, would be awesome.

Something like:

Kirby's Pros and Cons.

Pros:
+ blah blah blah

Cons:
- blah blah blah

Fox's Pros and Cons.

Pros:
+ blah blah blah

Cons:
- blah blah blah

For #3, lasers are a good power, yes, even against fox, but inhale is just much better (especially because of the footstooling I mentioned).

It's at least 60:40 Kirby's favor. I'll do a better write-up tomorrow (technically today). First point I'm arguing is that 55:45 is what we agreed the Falco matchup was, and some (most?) of us would be more satisfied with 60-40. The main things Falco had on us in that matchup were his camping and cg. While you can utilt chain on us (roughly = to cg), we can do the same to you...which deals WAY more damage than our fthrow->uair combo. And you can't camp us like falco can (you're Kirby vs Falco, but easier for Kirby. You probably here that reasoning a lot).

I honestly don't think Kirby should be that worried about a Fox gimp. 5 midair jumps and a great gimping game...if you come out and commit yourself to gimping us, you have a higher chance of dying than we do. Even if I were to surrender that point, Kirby can recover high, as you said is his best way (jumping up and towards the stage, then some hammers for horizontal distance, stone above stage for the sole purpose of landing and getting our jumps back if we need to). Sorry if I'm not clear about something or I use the wrong terminology, It's 1:45AM and I just finished a ton of work >.< . *johns some more*

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
So, I heard you guys were doing a rundown of Fox. I'd go from anywhere 55:45-45:55.

Kirby is very easy for us to combo and gimp, due to his slow aerial movement (comparatively), and is fairly easy to kill as well. However, the same applies to Fox, because of his falling speed. You guys can get a good guaranteed 30% with CG I believe, and then after that everything is psuedo-based.

Your fsmash can kill us stupidly early, but in terms of gimping I would have to say Fox wins. Kirby is prime cut for shine spiking and drilling, and because Fox has a multitude of quick and drawn out recoveries, it may be harder for you to get in a b-air, f-air, d-air, side-b, whatever. Recovering above the stage, or directly underneath is probably your safest route, but directly underneath is still at risk of well-timed shine spike, and recovering above is asking for an F-air/U-air. NEVER approach at a downwards angle from Fox, that's just asking for it. I'm sure you could somehow bait a gimp though, and punish with your extra jumps accordingly.

Also, I know Kirby has mean swallow/stage-spike gimps, so we Foxies have to stay away from the edge.
Meh I would moreso say 60-40 Kirby. Fox can combo really well and usmash is still broken in many different ways. But as far as gimping goes, I laugh at the notion of Kirby being gimped by Fox. I've played a very good Fox player (though he rarely uses fox at tourneys since he's a DK main) and he doesn't gimp me. Shine spiking probably won't happen. More than likely if a gimp does occur by fox feinting an air dodge and hitting with a bair, fair, or nair. Another I know is that approaching fox is kind of a struggle. Fair has unexpected priority and will either beat bair or trade hits (the latter is obviously favorable for us). As far as kills go its dead even. Fox's usmash has a ******** hitbox, ******** knockback, and ******** priority. Like srsly fresh this thing kills us at ~70%. The major bad thing about this match for Fox is being in the air. Dair will outright beat us, but uair and fair can be DI'd, bair has wind-up frames, and nair is meh as far as sex kicks go. Lasers aren't that much of an issue and honestly between DJFair, shine stalling, and side b priority, Fox is REALLY HARD TO GIMP. Luckily Fsmash can kill below 80% at time :chuckle:. As far as fox gimping Kirby, I don't mind floating up since I know how to DI fair and uair. I'm more scared of bair when i come back than either of those moves. Overall I still say 60:40 Kirby due to air game and fox' lack of reasonable approaches. Duck under fair, walk out of the way and counter dair, and it becomes simple. Bair is still as always a great poking tool and can put some shield pressure on Fox and make him mess up.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Hmm... we used to have 60:40 Kirby adv. but after playing this matchup myself I've discovered some things.

Kirby has to approach. Yeah our lasers don't stun, but we have many ways to bait with AC B-air+F-air, and then run away and SHDL and SHTL. Fox is very fast, and especially on stages with platforms, such as BF, auto-cancelled aerials and lasers work greatly towards our advantage.

Kirby has to either up-tilt, grab, or AC u-air in order to successfully land the damage he is known to achieve on Fox. Which is why we don't approach, and anticipate these moves. Getting hit by an F-air or B-air and DI'ing away is a much better option than taking guaranteed damage.

Up-tilt combos are only part of Fox's available damage-builders in this MU. F-air can combo into itself, or up-air, and juggling Kirby is much easier than other characters. This is because he is very floaty, and Fox has 3 multi-hit moves to punish air-dodging, and also is fast enough to punish a down-b or up-b.

And in terms of gimping, it seems to me every set online and in tourneys, I have been able to gimp Kirby at least twice. One shine spike of course won't do the job, but Fox's falling speed compared to Kirby's slow rising ability puts us in a very advantageous position. We just drop down, shine spike, DJ to grab ledge, drop down, shine spike, as many times as necessary. When Kirby runs out of jumps and tries to up-b, we already have invincibility-frames from grabbing the ledge. If Kirby is recovering at a 180 angle to the stage, this is where we drill-shine, and repeat the process above. Like I said, your best bet is to try and recover high, and hammer-stalling will work a little, but Fox can do some pretty ridiculous punishes with his b-air and n-air. Try to stall out of Fox's range, or bait a gimp.

Two things I am terrified of though, is the swallow game, which imo you should be keeping instead of stealing our lasers which can be reflected anyways, and the CG/up-tilt locks. Fsmash too.

What you guys don't get about Falco, is that in many ways he is nothing alike Fox. Falco is based on high-priority moves and laser-stunning, while Fox is all about pressuring both on the offense and defense with quick, multi-hit moves, and combos. Fox's punishing game is also much better imo, and his shine works MUCH better than Falco's.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Hmm... we used to have 60:40 Kirby adv. but after playing this matchup myself I've discovered some things.

Kirby has to approach. Yeah our lasers don't stun, but we have many ways to bait with AC B-air+F-air, and then run away and SHDL and SHTL. Fox is very fast, and especially on stages with platforms, such as BF, auto-cancelled aerials and lasers work greatly towards our advantage.

Kirby has to either up-tilt, grab, or AC u-air in order to successfully land the damage he is known to achieve on Fox. Which is why we don't approach, and anticipate these moves. Getting hit by an F-air or B-air and DI'ing away is a much better option than taking guaranteed damage.

Up-tilt combos are only part of Fox's available damage-builders in this MU. F-air can combo into itself, or up-air, and juggling Kirby is much easier than other characters. This is because he is very floaty, and Fox has 3 multi-hit moves to punish air-dodging, and also is fast enough to punish a down-b or up-b.

And in terms of gimping, it seems to me every set online and in tourneys, I have been able to gimp Kirby at least twice. One shine spike of course won't do the job, but Fox's falling speed compared to Kirby's slow rising ability puts us in a very advantageous position. We just drop down, shine spike, DJ to grab ledge, drop down, shine spike, as many times as necessary. When Kirby runs out of jumps and tries to up-b, we already have invincibility-frames from grabbing the ledge. If Kirby is recovering at a 180 angle to the stage, this is where we drill-shine, and repeat the process above. Like I said, your best bet is to try and recover high, and hammer-stalling will work a little, but Fox can do some pretty ridiculous punishes with his b-air and n-air. Try to stall out of Fox's range, or bait a gimp.

Two things I am terrified of though, is the swallow game, which imo you should be keeping instead of stealing our lasers which can be reflected anyways, and the CG/up-tilt locks. Fsmash too.

What you guys don't get about Falco, is that in many ways he is nothing alike Fox. Falco is based on high-priority moves and laser-stunning, while Fox is all about pressuring both on the offense and defense with quick, multi-hit moves, and combos. Fox's punishing game is also much better imo, and his shine works MUCH better than Falco's.
I still don't buy the gimp game, I just can't see Kirby being gimped by Fox nor has it happened to me.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Fox should never be gimping Kirby, ever. Seriously, the only character that I can see ever gimping Kirby is MK, since his dair pushes off farther and farther away offstage and he can go back from crazy distances and leave us stranded.

This MU is 60:40 Kirby's at least. You're literally one of the characters we have the easiest time comboing, right next to C.Falcon... Our fthrow combo can even get in a 3rd grab, which we can finish like this: fthrow > uair > fthrow > uair > dthrow > utilt > bair (> bair > ftilt) which is TOO much damage straight up, and thanks to Fox's fast falling awesomeness, we are actually able to do solid combos on you. A single grab, as you can see, can be quite devastating, although not at Pika's level of devastation. Our utilt also combos into itself until around 30-35%, then we end it with a rising bair > falling bair combo, and once again your fastfalling properties make this all too easy for us.

Fox can't utilt combo us, since we're lightweight. We simply SDI and jump+airdodge, and we're out of your utilt combo before you can get a 3rd one in. Your dair>usmash NEVER works on Kirby, we just DI down and shield and ALWAYS powershield > grab your usmashes this way. In fact, I think that getting off ANY of Fox's smashes on Kirby is too hard, since they all lack good range (except usmash, and it's very telegraphed when we're at 80% and abote, so we should shieldcamp you and you can't do anything)... Literally, Kirby lives too long in this MU, since Fox's smashes can't do anything if Kirby keeps an eye open when in his danger zone (~80-90% in this MU, an usmash kills us early)... Your only reliable killers are aerials, which can be beaten out thanks to our ability to aircamp. Once we have an advantage, what's stopping us from ducking the entire match and utilting ALL of your aerial approaches and ftilting/grabbing ALL your ground approaches? You literally have it TOO hard to consider it an even MU.

Offstage, Fox is DEAD. If it weren't for his shine stalling abilities, this MU would easily be ****, since both bair and uair get through your sideB, and dair trades hits with firefox (as well as if we get you before you start it up, we get a free footstool and you're dead). Our inhale>footstool will literally destroy you, and it's not hard at all getting it off on Fox since your main close-ranged attacks lack the range to beat the inhale's grab range (even your usmashes get beat out by our inhale). Once we're offstage, we can either spit you out under the stage and uair you for stagespikes, or footstool you once you break out and edgehog your recovery... You literally have zero options while down there... And gimping you isn't hard either, thanks to your (ta-da!) fastfalling properties: a strong enough hit should send you offstage, between the stage's level and below... Then it's only a matter of pressuring you and keeping you offstage with invincible ledgehopped bairs.

Our inhale is too good here, so we don't want your power generally... But it all depends on the player, so yeah.

I'm pretty sure you prefer flat stages in this MU, but Kirby's got it good either way... Flat stages means we'll have no platforms to get in the way, but platformed stages means that your pistol is no longer any danger at all (we land anywhere and recover all our jumps easy, while you struggle to keep an advantage), and dthrow may combo into usmash at ~50% which means good damage (if we dthrow you below a platform about BF's lowest platforms)... Our utilt is golden in this MU, since it's a great counter to your dairing: we just move out of the way (shield dashing most probably) and utilt, or roll away and ftilt, either one is fast enough to not give you any time to shield before we hit... And on low %s (I think about till 30-35%) utilt sets up into grabs, so you're going to be reaching 70-80% real easy against a Kirby who knows his character inside out, on any stage at all...

This MU is harder than Falco's because we can't telegraph your recovery and landings thanks to your downB stalling abilities, even if Falco kills us easier. We might think we can bair your sideB or spotdodge an incoming dair to counter with an utilt, but a single shine stall destroys our options and you get free damage... The only reason why I compare Fox and Falco in our MUs is because they both have transcendent priority lasers, and our way of avoiding bth camping games is exactly the same.

Oh, and, since you said that getting hit by bair and fair is better than utilt or grabs... Bair combos into a grab at low %s, and so does fair.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Hmm... you forgot to mention rising F-air, which alone gets me to the stage 50% of the time and is hard to gimp in itself if space correctly.

Fox should never throw out smashes just to get a kill, he relies on punishing, and stringing into them first. A great method that works on MK, that should even work better for Kirby (no broken shuttle loop or u-air yay) is to actually fullhop/rising Fair, shine stall, then come down with a D-air on the BACK of your shield. That puts you in a bad position. It's also hard to punish a fullhop/rising F-air from Fox, because of his fast falling speed, he can punish you if you whiff any moves, or just simply AD into the ground.

Also, most Foxes won't be going into dair>upsmash until at LEAST killing percents, are you still able to DI down, even if we hit you coming down from the air? If we d-air you at all, expect u-tilt, or grab.

SkylerSilver

Smash Journeyman
Welll... Fox CAN gimp Kirby if the Kirby isn't careful recovering. Fox has the rising F-air recovery which make it hard for Kirby to gimp him.

55:45 or 60:40 Kirby advantage MAX

Tiersie

Smash Ace
A good kirby should never want to recover vertically unless he is FORCED to do it. So shinespikes should only work if you're willing to go further off stage, where the risk exists that you eat a bair and that suddenly the roles have turned in our favor.

If Upsmash kills you at 70 % learn to DI

I've found that fox doesn't have fast enough moves to stop an unexpected move from kirby, so if you find yourself up against a laser camping fox, try to aircamp or stall a bit before throwing in an all out offensive, and do it so fast that the fox has no time to react.

Always shield ALL hits of the dair if you find yourself shielding it, and don't realease your shield after that. wait for the uptilt or dsmash and grab him.

I say 60:40 or 65:35 kirby.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
The difference between Kirby vs Falco and Kirby vs Fox is that Falco sucks and Fox is good.

No, seriously. If you're fighting a Fox that knows what he's doing, it should be scarier than Falco. Sure, Fox doesn't have a guaranteed chaingrab at low percentages, but Kirby and Fox both have a few dumb low % combos that can bring the opponent to 20-30% or so. But more importantly, Fox should have a much easier time scoring a KO than Falco. Bair, Uair, Upsmash, even his other smashes are great for this.

Does Fox's Dair->Upsmash really not work at higher percents? I was under the impression that it was guaranteed if the opponent had enough damage. Even on Kirby.

Copying the power is worth it if you know how to SHQL and fun stuff like that. I personally play Fox as one of my secondaries so I'm good enough with lasers to feel confident using them with Kirby. I think it's worth taking because Fox is a speedy character; Inhaling him might be difficult and you may find yourself being punished for it more often than successfully using it.

In terms of gimping, both characters have the potential to gimp the other, but it's really not very easy for either. If either one has to recover from directly below though, they're pretty screwed. Especially Fox o_o
It'd be nice if his Firefox had some variation added to it...like you could control how long it takes to start and how far it goes. The long startup time is just asking for Kirby to Dair you.

In terms of killing power, both characters will kick the crap out of each other. I personally think that Fox's Upsmash is harder to punish than Kirby's Fsmash, unless of course you powershield it.
Also, running around with Fox and then doing a jump-canceled reverse Upsmash is fun. Just saying.

I'd say it's around even. Probably 55-45 Kirby's favor, because he just seems to have an easier time working around Fox's attacks and hitting him.

Advice for Kirby in this matchup: ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYDQF4qIk5A

LOL
XD

ahem

Advice for Fox in this matchup: Never give up! Trust your instincts!

this is like, the first post I've made in a matchup discussion in a long time because they're boring and repetitive to me >_>
I just happen to like Fox. :fox:

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Lol I was right about to say the same thing, but after I clicked post message I saw light beat me to it.

Asdioh is too goodz!!!

That's why you belong in our social discussion Asdioh!

lzuzlzuzuuzlzluzlzuzlzuzuz~!~!~!~!!!~!~!

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Welll... Fox CAN gimp Kirby if the Kirby isn't careful recovering. Fox has the rising F-air recovery which make it hard for Kirby to gimp him.

55:45 or 60:40 Kirby advantage MAX
Well Kirby CAN gimp fox as well if you go there. Granted its very difficult but it can be done sometimes. The point I was making was that both of these characters have a very hard time gimping each other. If a Kirby has never played a Fox before, the first time you see him do a DJFair, you will realize that you're not gonna hit him while he's off stage unless he poorly DIs a bair or something. Side B while hard, can still be gimped (as can Falco's). You simply hover at Fox's level and as soon as you see him initiate the attack, you do a rising dair. He takes all the hits and is forced to use an ^B which is pretty much death. But like I said trying to consider gimping possibilities in this match is futile.

A good kirby should never want to recover vertically unless he is FORCED to do it. So shinespikes should only work if you're willing to go further off stage, where the risk exists that you eat a bair and that suddenly the roles have turned in our favor.

If Upsmash kills you at 70 % learn to DI

I've found that fox doesn't have fast enough moves to stop an unexpected move from kirby, so if you find yourself up against a laser camping fox, try to aircamp or stall a bit before throwing in an all out offensive, and do it so fast that the fox has no time to react.

Always shield ALL hits of the dair if you find yourself shielding it, and don't realease your shield after that. wait for the uptilt or dsmash and grab him.

I say 60:40 or 65:35 kirby.
I was obviously exaggerating about the 70% part, but when you consider the fact that most characters can't even kill Kirby before 100% and Fox starts at 80%, you see that you need to actually worry about usmash. I still think its a solid 60:40. What ppl who play Fox (and to some extent Falco) seem to misunderstand is the anti-camping ability of ducking. It forces an approaching which FOx doesn't like to do very much in this match.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Lol, NKB, this isn't a social thread XD.

And yeah ducking is bad for us, but crawling is just HORRIBLE. (Luckily we don't have to worry bout it here.) If Fox approaches, he will most likely approach with a running shield in response to a duck, and either grab, or spotdodge a grab. We also have PWG, which is hard to grab Fox out of.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
You simply hover at Fox's level and as soon as you see him initiate the attack, you do a rising dair. He takes all the hits and is forced to use an ^B which is pretty much death.
I dunno, it seems like Dair is too slow to beat Illusion unless you predict it. Bair is your best choice against Illusion, isn't it?

Then again I don't know if it beats it or not. I play wifi mostly, so being precise there is pretty much nonexistant. This is why I can't remember if Bair beats Illusion if you time it right, loses to it, or simply makes a little clanking animation and neither Fox nor Kirby takes damage. Maybe it depends on the timing (again, wifi...blah)
Lol what is your Kirby eating?
I dunno but it's scary. I'm surprised you had to take down your bloody robot sig but he hasn't XD

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Lol what is your Kirby eating?
Waddle Doo for dinner.

I dunno, it seems like Dair is too slow to beat Illusion unless you predict it. Bair is your best choice against Illusion, isn't it?

Then again I don't know if it beats it or not. I play wifi mostly, so being precise there is pretty much nonexistant. This is why I can't remember if Bair beats Illusion if you time it right, loses to it, or simply makes a little clanking animation and neither Fox nor Kirby takes damage. Maybe it depends on the timing (again, wifi...blah)

I dunno but it's scary. I'm surprised you had to take down your bloody robot sig but he hasn't XD
Dair only beats illusion if you hit with ur feet only. Bair I dunno how that works. I've seen all what u mentioned with bair so I guess it is timing. The nature of the illusion/phantasm hitbox is that fox/falco are "behind" the illusion/phantasm effect. Because of the disjointed properties of dair, if you can time the drill so that only the tips of Kirby's feet (a lil more as well) are in the path of the attack then he gets spiked. I was just saying that though, its actually unbelievably difficult to do it against falco and even harder on fox. I do have a vid against falco, I may upload it later.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Kirby's bair beats Fox's sideB without even having to properly time it (as well as Falco's), utilt clanks with it, ftilts clanks, fsmash breaks it, dair breaks it, AND if Fox does it on the right height, we can grab him out of it as well (just like how Snake can grab Falco out of his sideB and set up for an edgehog gimp that is a guaranteed kill)... And Kirby has a far easier time gimping Fox, since we're floaty and have multiple jumps, and Fox is a fastfaller and only has 2 jumps... If you send us below the stage, we can recovver no prob, but if we send YOU below the stage, you're as good as dead... And whoever said gimps are easy? Obviously most gimps are situational, but in comparison to how Kirby can gimp other characters, Fox is one of the easiest to gimp... And his sideB's hitbox is all over his hurtbox, and a little behind him, which means we don't have to space dairs to spike him, more like... Assure our hitbox touches him first (since our dair has slight disjoints all over Kirby's legs, any part of his legs can be used to spike him, not just the tips.

Only until REAL dangerous %s, can we DI down and powershield dair>usmashes. Once your dair starts giving us that crazy heavy hitstun (like how ours gives other characters' crazy hitstun once they go over 143%), it's 100% guaranteed... Otherwise, you're better off dair>utilting/grabbing us, and being careful so we don't just bair you while you dair/rising fair (we trade hits, but you take more damage since yours is a multihit move, and our isn't)... And I didn't mention rising fair as your recovery options, since it's something so obvious, many Foxes should know how to use this to return from awkward positions... But if you're still around the height of the stage or lower after the rising fair, you're dead (invincible bairs and dair chains will kill you).

Kirby should NOT be jumping directly towards the ledge so as to get shinespiked, NEVER. We have many jumps for that exact same situation: avoid getting gimped. We'll most probably stall until your invincibility frames run out, then continue OR get close and start an inhale (if you bair us, you send us higher and we can return safely... If you do anything else besides going on-stage, it's a kirbicide/inhale>footstool and you lose a stock), provided that we still have an extra jump or two.

Our dtilt has deceptive range, so once you're forced to approach us due to us crouching beneath your lasers with a good advantage, you'll have to approach aerially or risk getting dtilt tripped>grab, ftilted, grabbed, or just retreating bair'd... Literally, we have close to no problems in this MU. I have never had a tough match against a Fox where I've thought to myself "wow, this is definitely even", same as a couple of MUs... We have the tools to hurt you faster than you can hurt us, and your fastfalling properties don't help you get away from the combos, even with all the SDI you can muster..

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Kirby's bair beats Fox's sideB without even having to properly time it (as well as Falco's), utilt clanks with it, ftilts clanks, fsmash breaks it, dair breaks it, AND if Fox does it on the right height, we can grab him out of it as well (just like how Snake can grab Falco out of his sideB and set up for an edgehog gimp that is a guaranteed kill)... And Kirby has a far easier time gimping Fox, since we're floaty and have multiple jumps, and Fox is a fastfaller and only has 2 jumps... If you send us below the stage, we can recovver no prob, but if we send YOU below the stage, you're as good as dead... And whoever said gimps are easy? Obviously most gimps are situational, but in comparison to how Kirby can gimp other characters, Fox is one of the easiest to gimp... And his sideB's hitbox is all over his hurtbox, and a little behind him, which means we don't have to space dairs to spike him, more like... Assure our hitbox touches him first (since our dair has slight disjoints all over Kirby's legs, any part of his legs can be used to spike him, not just the tips.
The reason I mentioned the gimp game is because Fox is really hard to gimp. Basically with good DI, momentum canceling and DJFair, he gets way too much height way too quick for us to be able to capitalize on it. IMO gimps aren't an issue in this match. If you did manage to gimp a Fox (not counting edge fsmashes that kill at 60% :laugh:) than he was no doubt off his game. As far as Falco's side B goes, I know for a fact that the hitbox extends in front of Falco so u can't just dair before and automatically hit him as it you will get hit first if you have anything more than Kirby's feet in the attack. Because of this I assumed Fox's illusion acted in a similar manner. You also can't assume that Fox is just gonna try to Side B towards the ledge. Once he gets the vertical height he can maybe dair or AD towards the stage. Or he can bait us toward him and Side B away and use his fast falling speed to get to the ground before we can punish. I still think its 60:40, but for issues that aren't gimps.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
The reason I mentioned the gimp game is because Fox is really hard to gimp. Basically with good DI, momentum canceling and DJFair, he gets way too much height way too quick for us to be able to capitalize on it. IMO gimps aren't an issue in this match. If you did manage to gimp a Fox (not counting edge fsmashes that kill at 60% :laugh:) than he was no doubt off his game. As far as Falco's side B goes, I know for a fact that the hitbox extends in front of Falco so u can't just dair before and automatically hit him as it you will get hit first if you have anything more than Kirby's feet in the attack. Because of this I assumed Fox's illusion acted in a similar manner. You also can't assume that Fox is just gonna try to Side B towards the ledge. Once he gets the vertical height he can maybe dair or AD towards the stage. Or he can bait us toward him and Side B away and use his fast falling speed to get to the ground before we can punish. I still think its 60:40, but for issues that aren't gimps.
No, foxes just won't sideB onto the stage, but just to point out what our options are for breaking any sideB attempt, I named the attacks... And yes, you can dair Falco out of his sideB, which is why I said Kirby's feet has a disjoing all around it (and doesn't extend to his body, but while dairing his feet have the body's length practically, so it's not that hard to aim it)... If Foxes would be forced to use sideB to return on-stage, they would obviously shinestall while we do our attacks expecting them to sideB, then sideB when our attacks are about to finish... Which is why I say that the MU is slightly harder than Falco's.

And I KNOW it's 60:40 Kirby's, but as I said before, most gimps are (pretty) situational, so they shouldn't usually be measured into an MU (unless it's a Kirbicide, which in some MUs means that the opponents' options are reduced, like this one: Fox should never be in range for an inhale while we're offstage or on-stage near the ledges, so they're gonna avoid those positions as much as possible, for it could mean losing a stock).

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
U-Tilt to the max when Fox is around less than 10%. This match up shouldn't be too hard for Kirby, but take cation of Fox's U-Smash, since that move hasn't lost it's jacked up killing power from Melee, but this match up should be more relaxing than the last Smash Bros.... way more relaxing. I'll call 60/40 Kirby, 65/35 if the Fox main doesn't know how to fight Kirby.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
No, foxes just won't sideB onto the stage, but just to point out what our options are for breaking any sideB attempt, I named the attacks... And yes, you can dair Falco out of his sideB, which is why I said Kirby's feet has a disjoing all around it (and doesn't extend to his body, but while dairing his feet have the body's length practically, so it's not that hard to aim it)... If Foxes would be forced to use sideB to return on-stage, they would obviously shinestall while we do our attacks expecting them to sideB, then sideB when our attacks are about to finish... Which is why I say that the MU is slightly harder than Falco's.

And I KNOW it's 60:40 Kirby's, but as I said before, most gimps are (pretty) situational, so they shouldn't usually be measured into an MU (unless it's a Kirbicide, which in some MUs means that the opponents' options are reduced, like this one: Fox should never be in range for an inhale while we're offstage or on-stage near the ledges, so they're gonna avoid those positions as much as possible, for it could mean losing a stock).
Yeah I know u can dair Falco out of his side B, I was saying that if Kirby's hurtbox is in the trajectory of the attack then the gimp fails. This is because the hitbox of phantasm is in front of Falco, but if you get it with the feet only (disjointed hitbox) then you can gimp him. In your previous post it was a bit ambiguous whether or not you meant Kirby's hurtbox would collide hits with the side B which I know for a fact it doesn't. I was saying I assumed illusion acted in the same manner (since they are the same move with diff Kb).

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Yeah, it seems you guys really know Kirby's strong points, but it doesn't seem any of you know how exactly Fox works (except for his recovery, which is still a little off).

Fox is trained to work around priority-based moves, which is why he does so well against high-tiers such as Snake, DDD, and Falco. You guys are assuming that any of Fox's approaches can be beat, but rarely will you see a Fox telegraph an approach without at least trying to get a bait. Fox's punish game is extremely good, and every Kirby I've played has assumed they could combo us all willy-nilly. The truth is, they can, but it isn't as easy as you guys are stating it. In terms of you ducking our lasers, we would most likely do a running shield in front at the very tip of your d-tilt. We won't let ourselves be beat so easily, and Fox's speed allows us to do this. I could elaborate, which I would love to if I had time, but I'm going to wait for ThrillaGorilla's post.

One more question, how guaranteed is the swallow>footstool? People have tried to accomplish this on me, but I've always just been able to drop down and DJ rising Fair after the swallow.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
One more question, how guaranteed is the swallow>footstool? People have tried to accomplish this on me, but I've always just been able to drop down and DJ rising Fair after the swallow.
I believe inhale->footstool is guaranteed on you UNLESS you DI away from kirby (towards the direction he is facing), which is usually away from the stage. See Fromundaman's Guide on Inhale and ctrl+f for Fox, it should be the second result for him on the page (the first should say "Fox: Down B", referring to what characters can hit Kirby out of a swallow). Maybe the information is wrong, Fromundaman would be a better judge about which characters he could be wrong about.

Edit: Guys, I'm loving this discussion right now. Keep up the good work! But there are some important things to matchups that we've failed to cover so far:

1. The neutrals, who has an advantage on which, etc. For example, are all the neutrals more beneficial to Kirby than to Fox? Does Kirby do better on Yoshi's Island than Fox, but all the other neutrals help Fox more? Why? Info like that. The neutrals are probably more important to know than the CP's, for the obvious reason of them being played at least once per set.

2. Counterpicks. What stages should Kirby be avoiding (Halberd, perhaps)? What stages should Fox be avoiding (Jungle Japes?). I have some input on this issue. I think Kirby is better than Fox on PS1, but he might be better served picking a stage with a higher ceiling like Jungle Japes. I'm not sure how Fox does on Rainbow Cruise (a great Kirby stage), and Brinstar, generally a good Kirby CP, is a bad stage to take Fox to. Kirby doesn't really have any bad stages, just stages that other characters do better than him on (like MK on Delfino). So what are some of Fox's bad stages?

3. While it's not really essential, it would be nice and make things easier if someone put together a pros&cons list. Like this:

Kirby's Pros+Cons

Pros:
+Has a slightly easier time than Fox edguarding

Cons:
-Floaty, allowing for early % usmash kills than usual.

Fox's Pros+Cons

Pros:
+Powerful usmash for early vertical KO's
+Good edguarding game, especially considering he's fighting Kirby

Cons:
-blah blah blah
I've put 4 examples of what you might put on the list.

As I said, keep up the good work:).

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
bold statement, I wanna see this writeup

Sorry, I'm not trying to sound like an ***. I just remember the Falco MU discussion, which I still disagree very heavily about. I'm going to be doing a write-up much like the DK one, so it may take me a while.

Yeah, it seems you guys really know Kirby's strong points, but it doesn't seem any of you know how exactly Fox works (except for his recovery, which is still a little off).
QFT. I mentioned this in the Sheik discussion, and it still applies here.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, about setting up the gimping game for Fox...

Dsmash can put you in a horrible position at mid %, which is how I achieve most of my gimps. Your bair is also good at gimps too, but you're going to have to wait till higher percents for it work effectively, otherwise we can just DI up + shine to move us out of range.

I can definitely see this being a little in Kirby's advantage, if only for a few factors in which you have us barely beat. I don't think it's as hard as 60:40 though, both characters can screw each other over real bad. Fox however is a bit more extreme-ist in terms of what he can accomplish, but Kirby on the other hand is more consistent.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Kirby vs. Fox

At first glance, Kirby looks like a hard counter against Fox. He can duck under lasers, combo Fox with repeated f-throw -> u-airs and KO at lower percentages. Then, you go up against a fox who knows what they are doing against Kirby and realize that the lasers aren't his only option in the MU, he can SDI away from the f-throw -> u-tilt combos and that he can dance around Kirby's kill moves all day... punishing any missed KO attempt with a KO move of his own! Fox is one of the quickest and most nimble characters in the game, even putting speedsters like Metaknight and Diddy to shame at times. A Kirby player will need to keep their wits about them in this MU, but if they do, they can pull out a win.

Long Range

Kirby never wants to be here. Ever. Fox's lasers may not cause Kirby to flinch, but they can deal damage and replenish moves at an alarming rate. If the Kirby player isn't paying attention, they can have a good 10% on them within seconds of the beginning of the match. What is worse is that even if Kirby copies the lasers, Fox can stay in his reflector and deal the damage back to Kirby while Kirby has no way of doing the same (at least in a 1 vs. 1 match). The icing on the cake is Fox's ability to auto-cancel the lag by shooting the lasers in a short hop, so he can move at will while doing it. Kirby has a few options when dealing with this, and they deal with spacing. Fox players will rarely (if ever) use grounded lasers, so the Kirby player can close the distance between the two of them simply by dodging the lasers shot closest to the ground until closer ranges. This puts the Fox player in one of two positions mentally, fight or run away, both being things that Kirby can punish if the Fox has been cornered at the edge of the stage. Just to reiterate, as Kirby you will want to close the distance as soon as possible. Then the real fight begins. Just a note: if the Fox player has platforms to utilize, they will most likely run away. Platforms give Fox more opportunities to take to the air to run away (or bait and punish if the Kirby gets predictable) by using illusion (side-b).

Mid Range

Kirby has a few decent spacing tools in this MU that can out-space Fox's moves. f-tilt, d-tilt and even u-tilt can give Fox trouble. The problem is Fox's ability to dance around them and punish. Fox can punish just about any lag with his speed, and will be looking for any opportunity to do so. Kirby should be looking to keep his lag to a minimal, with his best options being his d-tilt (which can dodge and attack at the same time due to his hurt-box reduction) and on some occasions, a quick b-air. The time to be most wary in this range is when Fox has put Kirby here using one of his string starters, and Kirby will be hard pressed to avoid some of the follow-ups. There isn't much else to say here, but any time that Kirby can space without risking lag, the player should do so (especially at mid percents).

Close Range

Here is where Fox's options really begin to shine (no pun intended). Fox's speed (both horizontal on the ground and vertical in the air) give Fox the ability to punish his opponent's moves with relative ease. Fox's common punishing moves are d-air, grab, and u-smash. While grab and u-smash are scary in their own right (especially the u-smash, it being an 8 frame over-powered kill move!), d-air is what really makes Fox difficult to deal with. If fresh, it can combo into a multitude of things, ranging from grab (0% and higher), Jab and reflector(~5% and higher), u-tilt (~10% and higher), d-smash (~70% and higher) and of course, u-smash (~90% and higher). All of these options (except grab) can be power shielded at the percentages lower than listed or if d-air is stale, so Kirby should be looking to punish whenever possible. It is also good to note that a good Fox will try and land the d-air behind Kirby, making it much more difficult to punish. Assuming that Fox's d-air hits, his follow-up options come into play. If Fox goes for a grab, he will most likely use d-throw. D-throw's trajectory leaves Kirby slightly above and in front of Fox. The scary thing is Fox's follow-ups from here. Anywhere ranging from low to mid percents, Fox can follow up with f-air, u-air, n-air or in rare cases, a d-air or b-air. Kirby doesn't have any air moves that are fast enough to deal with the first three options save air dodge until upper mid percents, so it is very likely that Fox will successfully pull one off. If the Kirby decides to air dodge, they should be wary of the Fox baiting it at lower percentages and punishing. A well placed u-air at correct percents and positioning can kill, so be extremely wary of that. If the Fox decides to jab (its a 2 frame jab fyi, and beats out all Kirby's moves speed wise) they can follow up with a straight (the second hit of Fox's jab combo) and cancel it into whatever they want, even another jab! Kirby doesn't have any air responses to this, so SDIing the second jab is Kirby's best option. The third option on the list is reflector. Although this isn't used as much by Fox players due to the other options having more follow-ups, it is a viable option that can combo (true combo!!!) into a dash attack or in some rare cases, an u-smash! It should also be noted that the reflector has 3 frames of invincibility at the start, so it can't be interrupted until after the first hit-box comes out, much akin to Marth's dolphin slash. Fox's fourth option is his bread and butter. Fox's u-tilt comes out in 3 frames, has a good deal of priority on it and can put the opponent into awkward positions. If the Fox player follows the DI, he has multiple options for follow-ups. If Kirby DIs in front of Fox, Fox can reverse the u-tilt or grab, leading into the strings previously mentioned. If Kirby DIs away from Fox, Fox can follow up with a b-air. (note: Kirby can avoid the b-air by air dodging, but if the player chooses that option, Fox can fast fall and catch Kirby in landing lag with a d-smash. If the Kirby player can avoid with a jump, they should). The final two options from d-air are both kill moves and should be DIed accordingly. At the end of the day, Fox needs to hit with d-air for any of this to matter (as far as set-ups go), so Kirby should always be on the lookout to punish an attempt with u-tilt or shield grab.

Trying to keep up with Fox at this range and keeping lag to a minimal should be tops on any Kirby player's priority list at this range. Both d-tilt and u-tilt are great options, with both being equally offensive and defensive at the same time. Unless Fox is already in the air, there isn't much he can do against a well spaced d-tilt, and you have the opportunity to poke. If Fox is in the air, u-tilt can work wonders by juggling Fox a few times at lower percents and allowing for a chance to follow up if he doesn't SDI far enough away. Grabs also can work wonders against Fox. If the Fox player isn't any good at SDI, Kirby can get Fox to a good 50% with f-throw -> u-air -> re-grab combos. If the fox is a bit better at SDI, Kirby can switch up to d-throws and d-throw mind-game follow-ups. Though it gets harder for Kirby at higher percents to rack up damage, most of these options still work to a lesser extent at mid percents.

Air

If a Kirby who doesn't know the MU faces off against a Fox that does, this aspect of the MU can be extremely disorienting. Fox and Kirby are on opposite sides of the spectrum here... Fox takes to the air at will and lands again after attacking in the blink of an eye, while Kirby takes to the air a bit more slowly and likes to stay there for a while. To make matters more complicated, both characters are very well equipped for air combat with different types of tools at their disposal. At the end of the day though, both are evenly matched in the air.

If a Fox player has taken to the air, it is likely for one of two reasons. First and most likely is for a punishing dair. Secondly is for a follow-up of some kind. Though these are the norms, there are exceptions to the rule, and it is important to note them because a good Fox player will know them and use them (and abuse if the Kirby player doesn't know about them beforehand).

The big moves of Fox's in the air for air combat that have not already been covered in application are nair and reflector (which is more commonly referred to as a shine). Nair is a simple sex kick move (meaning the hit box stays out for a time, but it's power diminishes over time) that has multiple uses. First, it comes out on frame four, so it makes for a good "get off me" type of move. Second, it can be used offensively to bait. If Fox spaces nair on a shield, the move is not punishable by a grab (save for tether grabbers and King DeDeDe). Since Kirby doesn't fall into the category of tether grabber (or King DeDeDe :)), there isn't much he can do to punish the move, especially since the move has such little landing lag. A Kirby player should be wary of throwing out shield grabs against this attack, because they will have just lagged them self, which is deadly against a good Fox (and if they are using this set-up chances are that they are a good Fox).

Shine is much different in application compared to the rest of Fox's air moves. It doesn't give Fox any time to follow up after it hits, so it doesn't see much use as a regular air attack (it still has it's uses and they will be covered in the offstage section). When the move is used in the air, however, it stalls Fox in mid air. This combined with how fast Fox falls combines for one of the most well known of Fox's mind-games... the shine-stall -> dair. It is important that a Kirby player be aware of where Fox is in the air compared to where Kirby is. One dair leads to a whole lot of nasty as was covered earlier. the move is useful only at mid-height, however. If the Fox is too close to the ground, he lags enough for a quick u-air or bair punish. A Kirby should always look for opportunities to do this, because even a good Fox player will be at this range once in a blue moon. Beyond that, if the Fox is at mid or high heights, it should be easy to see coming and the Kirby can and should adjust accordingly.

Because of Fox's areal nature, it will be a rare occurrence for Kirby and Fox to meet each other in air combat. Should this happen, Kirby's bair is a better option than most of what Fox can do.

Two more things of note: Because Fox is so fast, it is rare for any opportunity to hit Fox with an areal to arise due to Kirby's slow air movement speed. If you do, consider yourself lucky. Also, Fox's short hopped fair, short hopped u-air, and short hopped Fast Falled b-air have NO lag to them at all. A Kirby player should be wary of getting tricked into attacking preemptively, only to eat a u-smash in the face.

Off Stage: Fox's Recovery

Off Stage: Kirby's Recovery

KO Options

Summary: 50-50 even

NOTE: I'm out of time on this computer, so I'll finish this post up later. If any of the Fox players see anything I missed, let me know.

Edit: Getting closer! Sorry its taking me so long, but there is a lot to cover and I can only do this off the top of my head due to me typing this on someone's computer other than my own.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Good summary so far Thrilla, but when cornered, Foxes tend to Fair rise and then shine stall while they wait for an opening. Sometimes we even illusion, when, b-reversed, can be hard to see coming and and hard to punish. If we land it close enough to the ground we don't experience any lag that can be punished. Also, our Fsmash has surprising range, and a stutter stepped fsmash is a good bait and punish move.

Nair can also combo into some ridiculous stuff as well, and allows Fox ANOTHER possible set of strings. Kirby has to really stay on his toes (I mean stubs) and space, space, space!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom