• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stop Relying on the TO!

-Ran

Smash Master
To everyone one that has attended a tournament or plans to in the future, I implore you to read the following paragraphs that I’m taking my time to write. As a Smash player, I have been to many tournaments, some of which that involved crossing the state lines to meet new and exciting individuals. As a tournament organizer, I’ve hosted tournaments that are spotty at best, organized events for people to come practice, and I’ve helped out my fellow TO’s when they’ve had tournaments just as they do the same for me. I merely wish to state that as a community we have become over reliant on our tournament organizers.

If a tournament fails, it is due to the short sightedness of the TO. If there is anything that goes wrong in a tournament it is his or her fault. If there are only ten set ups, then he will be the blame. If a tournament runs long, it becomes his fault for not managing time. If the tournament exceeds the length that the venue was scheduled for, it is on his shoulders to find a solution. The TO will be heckled for these things, and he has come to expect it, yet when these things happen it isn’t his fault. As a participant in a tournament there are certain rules that you should follow to the letter. I thought that they would be unspoken, yet it seems that tournaments are echoing the same issues no matter where you turn.

1. Be proactive. Ask the TO if he needs help with anything. Maybe he has a setup that he has left in his car, and if he spends time going get it, he won’t be able to work on the sign ups.
2. Bring set ups. Even if all you can bring is a Wii or a 15 inch tv, bring it. I’ve never been to a tournament that had a set up that wasn’t used. Hell, bring a power strip if that’s all you can muster.
3. Be punctual. If it is time for you to do a match, do not dawdle. Don’t make the TO hunt you down. Don’t make the TO hunt for you. If you’re going to have to step outside to grab a bite to eat in between a bracket match, make sure to let him know.
4. Be nice. Remember that the TO’s typically aren’t getting paid. Many of them don’t really even have a shot of winning the tournament that they are hosting. Hosting a tournament is a draining process.
5. Know the rules before hand. Don’t show up to a tournament not knowing that a stage isn’t banned. The TO doesn’t have time to hear Johns. More so, the day of a tournament is not the time to attempt to change the rules.
6. Be attentive. The moment that you hear an announcement about a match for one of your crew mates, make sure that they are aware. For every announcement a TO makes on a PA, he has to repeat himself ten times.
7. Report your matches immediately after completion.
8. Don’t bring large bills. Seriously, don’t be that guy. Try not to bring anything larger than a ten dollar bill. I can’t tell you how many times change runs out and sign ups are turned into a frantic hunt for who can break a twenty.
9. Create a kinetic environment. When you see someone dawdling after they’ve been called to a match five minutes ago, encourage them to actually get to where they need to be.
10. Clean up. Don’t ditch at the end of the day with the venue in a mess.

It is my belief that many times when a tournament fails that the players have a larger stake in its lack of success due to how they handle the situations. Stop relying on the TO for every problem. I’m not asking that everyone show up fifteen minutes before a tournament starts to help the TO set up. If everyone works together and is mindful of the ten concepts that I have supplied, tournaments will run better.

And most importantly. If the TO is drowning, jump in and save him.

Feel free to post this in your tournament threads, print it out and hand to players, whatever you want.

-Ran

Smash Master
Go for it Vyse. This is intended to be freely used by everyone that wants it.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I just feel this is all really, really important.

Tournament success, above most things, can fall on people management and co-operation at the end of the day. Sometime soon, I'd like to start a project that models the perfect tournament formula.

Everything from planning, advertising to setting up and running a tournament.

L__

Smash Master
This is really common sense...

but then again, common sense isn't so common

I think that's the phrase

nevershootme

Smash Master
how to stop an idiot attendee from asking "when is _____ gonna start?"??

if you really want this in a NASA-ish document manual on how to be a TO, I think i could do it in my spare time, but don't guarantee it will be ready immediately

'V'

Smash Lord
I'm gonna link people in our own thread to this, Ran. I think they should really read it as well. It would really help us out.

Sudai

Stuff here
Good post. It makes me sad that a post like this has to be made, but it makes me even more sad that the people that should read this, probably won't.. :/

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
In the 4th one, you made a bit of a grammatical error "TOs are typically aren't getting paid"

Very good post. Hopefully people find it helpful.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
It would be nice if players cleaned up after themselves.

The large bill thing should also be exercised. Five dollar bills are ideal.

pockyD

Smash Legend
last time i ran a tournament i went to the bank a day before and got a bunch of fives

obviously that's not an option for everybody (not everyone has 100-200 lying around to break into 5s to begin with), but it's certainly an option for a lot of people

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
If you put it in the rules right away that bills 10 or smaller would be appreciated, it helps to remind everyone to be nice and bring small bills.

Excellent read, it's featured in my sig.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Really important stuff.

I'd also like to add, although kind of unrelated, people REALLY need to stop asking dumb questions like "Is this tournament?" or asking players "What game is this?" mid match.

Last tournament I literally had someone BLOCK MY VIEW so he could watch MY game >.>

TO's are what keeps this community alive, guys. Please, offer as much help as possible

Jupz

Smash Master
Yay I do all these things at tourneys :)

I even bring 3 tvs. 5 at the last one if you include the ones i hired.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Good stuff, Ran. I actually never really thought about the whole big bills part, but it makes a lot of sense!

-Ran

Smash Master
Yea, in Melee a great player is going to devour his opponents in 2 minutes or less until he nears the finals. Brawl is just paced differently, more methodical.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Yeah, I try to do all this sort of stuff. It's all good advice. Just some more little things...

-If the TO is playing a game, be willing to jump in for him. That basically just means marking results and calling matches; anyone can do it. The tournament does not have to slow down because the TO is in a match unless there's actually a dispute over something (very rare).

-Keep your eyes open for open TVs and sets about to finish. Let the TO know about them when appropriate. Of course, keep your eyes open for anyone trying to have friendlies or money matches when you still need every set up, and let the TO know about those. It can be easy to confuse two people playing for a legitimate tournament match.

-During pools especially, don't wander off. Don't wander around. Stay right where your pool is happening the entire time (well, at least until you've played every single game you are going to have to play), and play your matches with proper pacing. A correctly run pool (one that finishes quickly) is one in which there isn't a player who has a long string of uncompleted matches when everyone else is finishing. If you see someone trying to play all their games late, at the very least challenge them yourself to have your pool match with them early. Encouraging the other pro-active players to do the same could really speed things up.

-Don't have equipment problems. The guy who doesn't have a controller slows everything down; have some sort of arrangement for equipment even if you don't own one yourself. If you are a Wii Remote user, know exactly what you're supposed to be doing and just do it.

-Don't bring TVs that lag. Not bringing a TV is better for the tournament than bringing one that lags. Dealing with it is just a massive pain for everyone. If you are bringing an HDTV that doesn't lag, that's fine, but be sure you make it well known that it is verified to be lag-free.

Esca

Smash Champion
To everyone one that has attended a tournament or plans to in the future, I implore you to read the following paragraphs that I’m taking my time to write. As a Smash player, I have been to many tournaments, some of which that involved crossing the state lines to meet new and exciting individuals. As a tournament organizer, I’ve hosted tournaments that are spotty at best, organized events for people to come practice, and I’ve helped out my fellow TO’s when they’ve had tournaments just as they do the same for me. I merely wish to state that as a community we have become over reliant on our tournament organizers.

If a tournament fails, it is due to the short sightedness of the TO. If there is anything that goes wrong in a tournament it is his or her fault. If there are only ten set ups, then he will be the blame. If a tournament runs long, it becomes his fault for not managing time. If the tournament exceeds the length that the venue was scheduled for, it is on his shoulders to find a solution. The TO will be heckled for these things, and he has come to expect it, yet when these things happen it isn’t his fault. As a participant in a tournament there are certain rules that you should follow to the letter. I thought that they would be unspoken, yet it seems that tournaments are echoing the same issues no matter where you turn.

1. Be proactive. Ask the TO if he needs help with anything. Maybe he has a setup that he has left in his car, and if he spends time going get it, he won’t be able to work on the sign ups.
2. Bring set ups. Even if all you can bring is a Wii or a 15 inch tv, bring it. I’ve never been to a tournament that had a set up that wasn’t used. Hell, bring a power strip if that’s all you can muster.
3. Be punctual. If it is time for you to do a match, do not dawdle. Don’t make the TO hunt you down. Don’t make the TO hunt for you. If you’re going to have to step outside to grab a bite to eat in between a bracket match, make sure to let him know.
4. Be nice. Remember that the TO’s typically aren’t getting paid. Many of them don’t really even have a shot of winning the tournament that they are hosting. Hosting a tournament is a draining process.
5. Know the rules before hand. Don’t show up to a tournament not knowing that a stage isn’t banned. The TO doesn’t have time to hear Johns. More so, the day of a tournament is not the time to attempt to change the rules.
6. Be attentive. The moment that you hear an announcement about a match for one of your crew mates, make sure that they are aware. For every announcement a TO makes on a PA, he has to repeat himself ten times.
7. Report your matches immediately after completion.
8. Don’t bring large bills. Seriously, don’t be that guy. Try not to bring anything larger than a ten dollar bill. I can’t tell you how many times change runs out and sign ups are turned into a frantic hunt for who can break a twenty.
9. Create a kinetic environment. When you see someone dawdling after they’ve been called to a match five minutes ago, encourage them to actually get to where they need to be.
10. Clean up. Don’t ditch at the end of the day with the venue in a mess.
11.WEAR DEODORANT.
It is my belief that many times when a tournament fails that the players have a larger stake in its lack of success due to how they handle the situations. Stop relying on the TO for every problem. I’m not asking that everyone show up fifteen minutes before a tournament starts to help the TO set up. If everyone works together and is mindful of the ten concepts that I have supplied, tournaments will run better.

And most importantly. If the TO is drowning, jump in and save him.

Feel free to post this in your tournament threads, print it out and hand to players, whatever you want.
Done.

10dones.

Marty

Smash Apprentice
i appreciate what people do, but dont be moaning when you have to take bad along with the good

BlueFoxXT

Smash Journeyman
Really important stuff.

I'd also like to add, although kind of unrelated, people REALLY need to stop asking dumb questions like "Is this tournament?" or asking players "What game is this?" mid match.

Last tournament I literally had someone BLOCK MY VIEW so he could watch MY game >.>

TO's are what keeps this community alive, guys. Please, offer as much help as possible
a lot of the time people ask if its tournament because they are hunting friendlies to kick off for actual tourney matches. No, maybe it's not always the case, but in my experience it usually is.

Sudai

Stuff here
If you need to ask if a match is tournament or what round the match is on, ask a spectator. At large tournies, there's usually at least 1-2 people watching any given match that will know.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Exactly, theres no need to ask the players. Could throw off their concentration if they are in tourney. Someone will most likely be watching.

Xposure

Smash Cadet
I personally have a lot of respect for the TOs. Takes a lot of work to schedule a tournament get it in motion. And last tournament (first) I went to, I took a $20 bill. I'll make sure to just bring 5's next time. :S

Top Bottom