• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GE presents: Mav and the Flying Controller of Doom! State College PA 10/24 Brawl only

_umbra_

Smash Champion
I've been asked by dobs to throw a brawl event on this date, so here you go :)

Mav and the Flying Controller of Doom!

State College, PA 10/24/09

Events, Times, and Prices:
Registration starts at 3 PM, there will be a $5 venue fee
Doubles starts at 4, $10/team
Singles: not before 5, $10/person
Pot distribution will be 60/30/10

on the venue fee, copypasta from the last melee tournament thread:

"IT IS A TOURNEY FOR A CAUSE THERE WILL BE A 5$ ENTRANCE FEE ALL GOING TOWARDS THON FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW THON is now a year-long effort that raises funds and awareness for the fight against pediatric cancer. With the support of students from all across the commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and THON Alumni all around the world, we continue to make great strides towards finding a cure for all childhood cancers!"

Ruleset:
-3 Stock
-8 Minute Time Limit
-Items are set to "off" and "none"
-All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches, with the aforementioned Finals sets being best 3/5 games.
-In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
-No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
-If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage
-Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
-Standing Infinites are BANNED which include (but not limited to) Dedede's small-step chain grab, Marth on Ness grab-release, etc
-Suicide Move Rules: (all situations are when both players are at 1 stock): If both players lose their last stock at the same time, sudden death WILL NOT be played. The individual who initiated the move will win. If one player dies first, they lose the match, regardless of who initiated the move.
-Excessive stalling is banned; related decisions will be made at the discretion of the tournament host.

***Unlike certain other PA tournaments, both MK and IC infinites (up to 250%)will remain legal. Man up, ladies.

Stage List
Stage Striking will be used

Neutral:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counterpick:
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Castle Siege
Frigate Orpheon

This tournament will be held in my room, located at
206 Hamilton Hall
University Park, PA 16802

Yes, it's a dorm room, but it's ****ing big. If possible, we will move this tournament back to dobs' apartment (much bigger), but as of now it will take place here. Don't worry, we have more than enough room for 20+ people.

Unfortunately, the date is non-negotiable; it's based on psu's football schedule. 10/24 is an away game, and the last viable date for a while. PSU is nuts on weekends with home games, and it is very hard to get to the venue on those dates. I realize we'll be losing a lot of attendance because it's such short notice (sorry), but there's nothing we can do :( Regardless, I hope to see a lot of PA players here :)

Feel free to contact me through pm or aim (umbra223) with any questions. I would give out my phone number, but I don't get service anywhere LOL

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
umbra wtf go to strifes tourney. all of philly and reading will be there

and come to my tourney this sunday
all of philly and reading will be there

LOL

_umbra_

Smash Champion
This is going to be a smaller, local event. Dobs asked me to host it to raise a little bit of money for THON, because this is the last chance we'll get before thanksgiving break. Sorry it has to be the same day as your event, but it won't hurt attendence given how far away this is from you.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
It's in the first post. THON is a charity that raises funds for fighting pediatric cancer, and dobs is hosting PSU tournaments to raise money for it. I'm just the unfortunate melee player that got roped into running this one for him b/c he can't lol

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
imo this tournament will not make as much money as a bake sale or something more productive. ( i used to be in student government at college i know ). That is more constructive and requires more work. While I support this idea something bigger can be planned and get more money out of than a video game tournament.

M@v

Subarashii!
imo this tournament will not make as much money as a bake sale or something more productive. ( i used to be in student government at college i know ). That is more constructive and requires more work. While I support this idea something bigger can be planned and get more money out of than a video game tournament.
Since you cant get the hint in that manner allow me

WE DONT HAVE EFFIN TRANSPORTATION OUT OF STATE COLLEGE. NONE OF US HAVE CARS AND WE ARE BROKE. happy? What money we DO have is being saved for BR2

Also, this is for a good cause.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
idk if I could be trusted running a bake sale...

but thon would make so much money off me lol

SLIM

Smash Journeyman
Can't make it to this one guys, sorry :(

Maybe if it was announced 2 weeks earlier then maybe, but I can't get the time off of work.

Also, Umbra, you can't possibly fit 20+ people in your dorm. Its big, but not that big.

M@v

Subarashii!
Can't make it to this one guys, sorry :(

Maybe if it was announced 2 weeks earlier then maybe, but I can't get the time off of work.

Also, Umbra, you can't possibly fit 20+ people in your dorm. Its big, but not that big.
20 smaller-than-slim people

(I'm sorry you set yourself up for that =])

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
I've raised over like 300 dollars off of tournies for Thon I'm 100% behind the cause do to my personal situation.... Since entire venue fee goes directly to cause it is easy anyone that has been to any event at PSU run by either me or Umbra has had an incredible time and the experience of the campus plus the tourney makes it fun. We must all consider that it is a game and there are more important things in life true this tourney will not have a huge pot for the winner it still will be fun and most tournies charge a venue fee regardless ours however is going towards a cause.

Thanks for hosting this Umbra I will be there and most likely bring Gopal along.

kungfurabbits

Smash Apprentice
I have a couple questions since this would be my first brawl tournament that really has a ton of rules like this one does.

1) I have to be at Rec Hall for the Women's Volleyball game (I'm in the volleyball band) at 6:30. Would I not have enough time to do this (of course assuming I'm playing all the way to the end) and then get to the game?

2) Since you live in Hamilton, I'm curious if any of you are part of the group that plays in the cultural lounge in the west commons on Friday nights and I remember they did a THON tournament last year as well.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
1) If you're playing all the way to the end, odds are that won't be enough time... we should be partially through singles at 6:30

2) I never played with the guys in the commons, but I've seen them before. I actually helped run a tournament in east hall commons for thon last year, if that's what you're talking about.

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
Hype Lets go PSU brawl players....

I've been training my Snake and Rob among many other random characters with Gopal his DK can get top 3 imo if he does singles...

M@v

Subarashii!
didn't you know? we are gonna see how hard I can throw one here. Casualties might include Paul's Tv. but O WELL. NOT MY TOURNEY.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
ok guys, I had to push the tournament back a few hours. I'll be taking a practice LSAT -_-

registration + free play at 3
doubles starts promptly at 4
singles will not start before 5, so if you're doing singles only... be there at 5 lol

if this creates problems for anyone, i can prob have mav or someone start things early, but I may not be able to do teams T_T.

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
I might be able to make this. Do you think this can end somewhat early? I have to get up for work Sunday morning, so I'll have to drive home.

kungfurabbits

Smash Apprentice
darn (this site won't let me say dam?)... That hurts me even more. I guess I could show up for some free play. I guess I could maybe do the doubles as well but since I don't know anybody, it would kind of hard to get a partner.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
sorry man, I didn't have a choice :( but feel free to stop by any time for free play.

fizzle, this should be done pretty quickly, I would say 9 in the worst case scenario.

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
darn (this site won't let me say dam?)... That hurts me even more. I guess I could show up for some free play. I guess I could maybe do the doubles as well but since I don't know anybody, it would kind of hard to get a partner.
U should be able to get a random partner i usually do at tourneys...

_umbra_

Smash Champion
Anyone coming to this:

Good news! I missed my practice LSAT, so I'll be there nice and early if anyone wants to get there ahead of time. Also, if we have time, what do people think of brawl low tiers?

LOL jk but we can do melee if there's time :)

Top Bottom