• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Out of order, new matchup thread coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedeth

Smash Master
Who's calling it unwinnable? I think it's very winnable. Just because the CG is avoidable doesn't mean they will NEVER grab you.

Like we might as well just say D3 isn't such a bad matchup by that theory.

You can't completely discount something so broken.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
I don't think its that bad. Just try to avoid the grab, pick a stage that will help you with that. Wolf's pretty heavy so pikachu would probably have some trouble killing. Just don't do anything stupid that would leave yourself open.

Arrows

Smash Journeyman
Without the CG pika has 55-45.
With it the MU can go up to 65-35, but we're not utterly screwed. They don't have a whole SET OF MOVES that **** us, just the chaingrab.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
There's no point in talking about the matchup excluding the chaingrab, it won't be banned or anything.

And where are the pika mains?

:059:

Arrows

Smash Journeyman
Iunno, I asked K prime but he said he didn't know crap about the MU.
I'll try to get into contact with someone else, hopefully anther.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Since I don't know a **** thing about the match up except this amazing tip, I will tell you it: SDI Pika's Dsmash, it's fun.

You may now move on.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Added what we have for pikachu right now. But I'm going to give it a few more days and hope we get some more info other than "avoid chaingrab". I would but I dunno much about fighting pikachu so hopefully someone else does.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Anyone have input on stages? I'd think a place with platforms to help avoid the grab, but idk really. Brinstar? Japes maybe, high ceiling for avoiding thunder kills?

_Kain_

Smash Champion
I think BF is prolly the best starter stage and Brinstar seems like a good cp too. low ceiling stages shud b a no cause of the possibility of being upsmashed after CG

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Chaingrab = annoying. Don't get grabbed. Retreating Fair and sometimes Bair kills pikmin, Usmash does too. So yeah, kill pikmin when they side B camp. Uhm...Idk, note when he has purple pikmin. Usmash has a ton of knockback. His pivot grab *****.

tekkie

Smash Master
against olimar its best to realize your opponent is playing a character gayer than the campiest camping you can camp out.

so bring up the gay.

Arrows

Smash Journeyman
Wolfs blaster> Olis grab, side b, side smash.
If oli is offstage, either shinegimp him, or simply ledgehog him, either way, he's dead.
Our speed is better than his on the ground, just beware of purples and upsmashes.

We can camp harder than oli, remember that.

AND SESS: for pika.

Be aware of hyphen smash-> Thunder.
And at 50+% you can be less worried about being owned by a grab.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
They like to grab alot try to mindgame and dodge behind them and jab sometimes works alot XD

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Quick stuff:

1.It should be noted that Wolf's Nair will always destroy Pikmin that latch onto him, regardless of which part of his body they land on. Always destroy white pikmin, they can take you from 0-41!

2.Well spaced FF Bair is safe from Oli's shieldgrab.

3.Lot's of Oli's have a range where they'll stop spamming sideB, because it's too unsafe, so they'll start spamming grab. You can just blaster them when they do that.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
3.Lot's of Oli's have a range where they'll stop spamming sideB, because it's too unsafe, so they'll start spamming grab. You can just blaster them when they do that.
One time I was Oli playing JJ, he did a Dacus and I tried to grab him...and the Pikmin went under Wolf...Puts Oli in a bad spot...Fsmash would beat Dacus though.

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
One time I was Oli playing JJ, he did a Dacus and I tried to grab him...and the Pikmin went under Wolf...Puts Oli in a bad spot...Fsmash would beat Dacus though.
Yeah you have to time that right the feeling is just awesome when you pull that off. :)

Whenever I get the stock lead in a match I just sit and kill Pikmin (I forward air in the same place unless they try to approach which Wolf can definetly stop. :laugh:) When he runs out of Pikmin I shoot a laser they take damage I rinse and repeat if they're dumb enough to keep throwing pikmin at me. Of course you can also reflect them back. When spacing make sure if you miss you move a tad bit away so you won't get drastically punished (that means you should be using autocanceled aerials.) I really don't know what stages to take an Olimar I like playing Olimar users on stages with platforms (makes me more comfortable when playing them and I can avoid grabs.) My counter-pick stages would be Frigate Orpheon, Jungle Japes, or Rainbow Cruise. I seriously can't stand Olimar at Luigi's Mansion or Norfair.

Basically just play smart and stay mobile and use quick moves so you won't be punished thats how I do it.

Lol I don't do ratios but 60:40 Wolf's advantage in my opinion. We need to get some Olimar users to get on here for their opinion.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
SH fair won't hit Olimar at max range if he's just standing there :( Shine counters all pikmin attacks quite well. SHFF bair > shine if you think they're going to shieldgrab you, or smash OoS.

Our uair clanks with and then outprioritizes his dair, lol. Get him above you and ensue ****. If he tries to use upB right after you shine him it will fail to sweetspot, hopefully olimar mains don't know that yet >_>

His spinny attacks (nair, utilt) really **** me over for some reason... Also, about his grabs. When at high %, purple = uthrow, blue = bthrow/fthrow. Be ready to DI that.

CPs, I'm not quite sure but someplace with a high ceiling sounds good, purple usmash kills way too quickly...

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Wolf can actually camp pretty nicely in this matchup and in my experience better than olimar; Mainly because of how the blaster gets rid of pikmin when you shoot it. If you can force the olimar to approach then that's always awesome cuz approaching this guy is really annoying with his massive grab range and all.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
-Watch out when you approach Olimar. Usually if you bair (heck...attack him in general) his shield and you're not careful, he will grab you.

-Use retreating Fair frequently. Fair is also the best move for getting Pikmin off of you.

-Use alot more blaster in this matchup. Try to get him to approach you, I find him easier to shield grab than other characters.

-Be AGGRESSIVE when you get him offstage, his recovery is absolutely terrible. And try to force him to recover low. Use Dthrow/grab release near the edge. Gimp him with your shine, and if you haven't learned speed hugging the edge, learn it nao. It's amazing if Oli recovers low and you predict his tether grab. The only thing you really need to watch out for offstage is whistle spam...which obviously gives him invincibility frames.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Based on my experience playing Olimar. Best thing is to grab him back. Irony is sweet. ^_^. Plenty of Shad's behind or in front to confuse and pivot grabs can make Olimar have a hardass time. It's should be noted that his pivot grab doesn't have super armor like most pivot grabs.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Olimar is a homo as we know. So what the best thing to do is be a homo back. Just CAMP HIS DUMBAZZ. At first his pikmin my block your lazers but keep on shooting. They are a temporary wall. Also grabbing unexpectedly is a good way to get them offstage(fthrow or dthrow) to try and set up a gimp. Shining offstage his good but watch out for his down b, if he uses that to block your shine, your in trouble. My best advice is play it safe and SPACE fair and bair, dont mess up.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Based on my experience playing Olimar. Best thing is to grab him back.
I completely agree with this (Pivot-)grab is too good against Olimar. Dthrow near the ledge -> offstage shine = -1 stock for Olimar.
Bair/fair kill pikmin before they hit you but you can also shine them if you're out of range. Nair to get rid of them 100% of the time. Ftilt is good because Oli "can't" grab you out of it. Ftilt will intercept his grab because it doesn't have a "grab armor" (hate that term).

Match-up is not in Wolf's favour btw. It's 5/5.

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
What are everyone's stages for the match-up?

Mine are these:

Neutrals:
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island

Counter-picks:
Jungle Japes
Delfino Island
Frigate Orpheon

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Stage Time!!

Alright, I don't know the wolf matchup as much as I should (and it's a really weird one for Olimar), but what I do know is stages :D

Alright, alright, I really don't know how any of the three stages listed work for wolf. But basically I'm just seeing the three "bad" stages for Olimar listed and thought I would clear some stuff up lol

I do know that frigate isn't as bad as you think it is in this matchup. Wolf doesn't do well on the right side either, and if you're forced to recover to the stage, us punishing you for it is very easy. The second phase is ****in amazing for us for several, several reasons. Frigate also gives an increase in yellow and purple pikmin, again, amazing. The mercy platforms on the second phase work extremely well to save Olimar from his terrible recovery, though I'm sure it helps you too. The dip in the second phase I can see being a problem for whoever lets their opponent get inside. I think frigate is definitely a good stage for you because of its small size, keeping us from running away, but it becomes a gamble of who can take advantage of the right size more, and against a competent Olimar, it's not going to play off for you as much as you think it will.

I have no idea how well you all do on Rainbow Cruise, but I'm curious. I don't want to go too much into this stage mainly because it could very well be a good stage for you in this matchup and I'm just not seeing it.

Jungle Japes, again, I'd like to know how wolf does. The right side is pretty broken for us and if we're there and you're on the middle section, you're not able to hit us with your blaster (as far as i know). If wolf approaches when Oli's on the right platform, Olimar can be gay and grab the ledge, uairing through the stage, attacking from the ledge, dropping and grabbing another ledge, or just do whatever the **** he wants. I hate trying to explain japes because it's a playstyle not many olimars but myself use and it's really gay >.>

But basically what i'm trying to say is, attempting to take advantage of an extreme flaw that Olimar has on any one stage isnt smart because not only do you also have similar flaws on the stage, but we have pretty **** big advantages on the stage as well. Frigate has the best pluck percentage Olimar can get (debatable), and the second phase is ****in amazing for us. Raibow Cruise gives us plenty of room to run around and jump from platform to platform, and a walkoff section with a low ceiling, which is broken for Olimar. Japes' right side let's us plank under the stage, force awkward approaches, gives us a safe camping area, and saves us from gimps, should we get edge guarded. And any good Olimar you fight is going to know how to minimize these disadvantages and take full advantage of everything we can. We have to play these stages a lot, after all.

Stick to your stages you have faith in, don't try to CP anything drastic. If you feel really comfortable on any of the above three stage, by all means CP it, though.

Battlefield and Yoshi's Island, yes are good against Olimar, try to get the neutral to them. Castle Seige is good for you if you can avoid us completely on the second phase. The first phase is small and it's easy to get us off stage, and the third phase makes our pikmin pluck take an extra 4 frames and its awkward shape and tilting messes us up more than it helps. I really don't know enough about Wolf's counterpick stages so I don't know what to say, to be honest.

Is it a myth you all are bad on Lylat Cruise? I remember that being the case, but didn't know if you had gotten over the flaws you had on the stage. If that's still the case, Lylat is pretty great for Olimar and I'd imagine many would take you there. Delfino would personally be my first choice in conunterpicking a wolf. Amazing pluck percentages on most of the phase, all but maybe two of the sections are great for Olimar, especially in this matchup (watch out against a smart Olimar on the beach phase), and plenty of walkoffs which help us so much.

Oh also it was mentioned that Purple = Up Throw and Blue = Forward/Back Throw, blue can also kill with Up Throw, so watch out for that. Don't just DI based on color, watch the movement of the pikmin. Up Throw takes a minute and a half so you have plenty of time to shift your DI if that's the case.

I really wish there were more wolves in this area... I didn't get to play Omniswell before he switched to Wario or whatever :( But wolf's a dumb character to fight so it's okay. Sorry I can't contribute much to the matchup in general, but if there's any small information I feel I can point out I'll try to do so.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Stage Time!!

Alright, I don't know the wolf matchup as much as I should (and it's a really weird one for Olimar), but what I do know is stages :D

Alright, alright, I really don't know how any of the three stages listed work for wolf. But basically I'm just seeing the three "bad" stages for Olimar listed and thought I would clear some stuff up lol

I do know that frigate isn't as bad as you think it is in this matchup. Wolf doesn't do well on the right side either, and if you're forced to recover to the stage, us punishing you for it is very easy. The second phase is ****in amazing for us for several, several reasons. Frigate also gives an increase in yellow and purple pikmin, again, amazing. The mercy platforms on the second phase work extremely well to save Olimar from his terrible recovery, though I'm sure it helps you too. The dip in the second phase I can see being a problem for whoever lets their opponent get inside. I think frigate is definitely a good stage for you because of its small size, keeping us from running away, but it becomes a gamble of who can take advantage of the right size more, and against a competent Olimar, it's not going to play off for you as much as you think it will.

I have no idea how well you all do on Rainbow Cruise, but I'm curious. I don't want to go too much into this stage mainly because it could very well be a good stage for you in this matchup and I'm just not seeing it.

Jungle Japes, again, I'd like to know how wolf does. The right side is pretty broken for us and if we're there and you're on the middle section, you're not able to hit us with your blaster (as far as i know). If wolf approaches when Oli's on the right platform, Olimar can be gay and grab the ledge, uairing through the stage, attacking from the ledge, dropping and grabbing another ledge, or just do whatever the **** he wants. I hate trying to explain japes because it's a playstyle not many olimars but myself use and it's really gay >.>

But basically what i'm trying to say is, attempting to take advantage of an extreme flaw that Olimar has on any one stage isnt smart because not only do you also have similar flaws on the stage, but we have pretty **** big advantages on the stage as well. Frigate has the best pluck percentage Olimar can get (debatable), and the second phase is ****in amazing for us. Raibow Cruise gives us plenty of room to run around and jump from platform to platform, and a walkoff section with a low ceiling, which is broken for Olimar. Japes' right side let's us plank under the stage, force awkward approaches, gives us a safe camping area, and saves us from gimps, should we get edge guarded. And any good Olimar you fight is going to know how to minimize these disadvantages and take full advantage of everything we can. We have to play these stages a lot, after all.

Stick to your stages you have faith in, don't try to CP anything drastic. If you feel really comfortable on any of the above three stage, by all means CP it, though.

Battlefield and Yoshi's Island, yes are good against Olimar, try to get the neutral to them. Castle Seige is good for you if you can avoid us completely on the second phase. The first phase is small and it's easy to get us off stage, and the third phase makes our pikmin pluck take an extra 4 frames and its awkward shape and tilting messes us up more than it helps. I really don't know enough about Wolf's counterpick stages so I don't know what to say, to be honest.

Is it a myth you all are bad on Lylat Cruise? I remember that being the case, but didn't know if you had gotten over the flaws you had on the stage. If that's still the case, Lylat is pretty great for Olimar and I'd imagine many would take you there. Delfino would personally be my first choice in conunterpicking a wolf. Amazing pluck percentages on most of the phase, all but maybe two of the sections are great for Olimar, especially in this matchup (watch out against a smart Olimar on the beach phase), and plenty of walkoffs which help us so much.

Oh also it was mentioned that Purple = Up Throw and Blue = Forward/Back Throw, blue can also kill with Up Throw, so watch out for that. Don't just DI based on color, watch the movement of the pikmin. Up Throw takes a minute and a half so you have plenty of time to shift your DI if that's the case.

I really wish there were more wolves in this area... I didn't get to play Omniswell before he switched to Wario or whatever :( But wolf's a dumb character to fight so it's okay. Sorry I can't contribute much to the matchup in general, but if there's any small information I feel I can point out I'll try to do so.
This wall of text isn't big enough. SelfPossessed A NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES.

On a more serious note. I hate versing Pyronic Star on Lylat. He just uses the uair at the edge to go through the stage forcing me to stay back. Lylat also cannot be scarred because there is nothing to scar. Battlefield would be more in Olimar's favor because he can use the platforms and Usmash Wolf when Wolf is on them. Final Destination is Wolf's favor because he has ample running room and can outcamp Olimar. Also WoB can make Olimar not able to do anything on Fd. Rainbow Cruise is an amazing stage for Wolf. I fight Kirbys here. He can hop platform to platform while he just lasers and uses bair to knock people away. Wolf does ok on Japes, but one dthrow from Wolf will toss Olimar in the water so it's in his favor.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Hilt, what's so great about walkoffs for Olimar? And also, you didn't mention much about how Olimar performs on RC, would it be a more viable CP than the other two if the Wolf player is comfortable with the stage?

It's great to get someone who actually mains the character in here for once btw :)

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Hilt, what's so great about walkoffs for Olimar?
Walkoffs=no edges, meaning no recovery required...

Given that Olimar is perhaps the best character on stage and near worst offstage, walk offs tend to be beneficial...

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
... Wow. I'm ********. I was expecting something like a walking chaingrab for some reason.

Anyways, how's RC? >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom