• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario vs. Lucas (34) Export

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Lucas

Matchup:

60:40

General info:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockettrainer
Lucas

What moves or tactics should we watch out for?
-Fsmash: All of Lucas' smashes are used for killing and are generally good. This one comes out pretty quick and does a good amount of damage and knockback. It can reflect projectiles, like Aura Sphere, but most Lucas players would rather absorb with PSI Magnet, so you won't see this happen too often.
Reflecting projectiles with Fsmash in general isn't even that common anyway; takes 14 frames of startup and only reflects for a few frames.
-Dsmash: A multihit smash move that has three parts. I don't remember the exact properties of each hit, but I believe the first hit is the most powerful, the second hit has the biggest hitbox, and the third is the weakest but covers behind him or something like that. Needless to say, this move lasts a while, is decent for edgeguarding someone hanging on the edge.
The hits get larger but weaker. Third's biggest and weakest.
-Usmash: Being one of the strongest Usmashes in the game, you can die from this move pretty fast. That being said, it has a large amount of startup and ending lag. Also, certain parts of it are weak and won't send you anywhere (near the edge). The move does have some invincibility before it comes out, so watch out for DACUSes.
Lucas can't DACUS.
-Bair: A very unusual move, it has some startup time before the move actually comes out. The range covers a half circle or so behind him. If sweetspotted, it can spike.
Only at the tip of his foot.
-Uthrow: A killing move, though only at high percents. Think of it as an inferior version of Ness' bthrow.
Uthrow sucks, rarely used. Vertical kills come from Dthrow at 130%, accounting for pummels if you're grabbed at around 120% you're dead.
-Zair: Does absolutely nothing! However, it can still be used for tether recoveries, which is what most Lucas players prefer.
-PK Fire: A multihit projectile that Lucas players love to spam. Why approach when you can use this move?
Also, wavebouncing makes punishing this that much more difficult. Lucas can also use this to make his second jump obscenely high.
-PSI Magnet: This move can absorb energy based projectiles, like Aura. It has a multiplier effect on how much damage is recovered. Even if Lucas is facing the wrong way, he'll automatically turn around and absorb a projectile coming from behind. It also has a hitbox when Lucas lowers the magnet.
Hitbox kills at around 150%, even then it's only for surprise attacks because it's just slow.
-PK Thunder: Lucas' main recovery move. Unlike Ness, PKT2 is multihitting, so you can SDI out if you get hit. It's almost less powerful. On the plus side, it's easier to control/aim and does not disappear if PKT1 hits someone.
Its main hitboxes are the start and the end, both dealing 10% with knock back. Hitting with every hit does 43%.
-Tether grab: You won't see a Lucas grab too much, but keep in mind that it has good range when pivoted because of its tether property.
Dash and standing grab is too slow and is really punishable. Pivot grab is used mainly because it reduces ending lag by 20 frames.

What moves or tactics should we try to enforce in this match up?
-Fsmash outranges all of Lucas' non-projectile moves.
-While Lucas does not have a bad aerial game, Lucario beats him out in this department. But I think Lucas' fair beats out Lucario's, but Lucario's fair lingers.
-Bait the smashes and punish. Most Lucas players love using them.
Maybe FSmash, but I wouldn't say Lucas players love using them because of the **** lag.

Do you feel Lucario has an advantage in any particular scenario of this matchup?
-Lucas players prefer to use tether recovery instead of PKT2, so try to force them into using PKT2. They have only two options: aim at the edge or aim on the stage. Try to force them to recover the way you want them to and punish accordingly.
-Lucas is light, so assuming you survive long enough, your Fsmash can kill him pretty fast.
-Aura Sphere can comepletely cancel out PK Fire but don't rely on it.
PK Fire and Aura Sphere will always clash regardless of Lucario's %, according to a thread on the Lucario boards

Do you feel the opponent can shut down aspects of Lucario's game?
-PSI Magnet can absorb Aura Sphere, so don't be spam happy with it.
-Lucas' powerful smash attacks can kill Lucario at some what mid 140-150% if you're not careful.
Fsmash kills at 100%, lol. At 150%, Uair, Fair, Dthrow, Bthrow, Dair spiking, and to a lesser extent Ftilt and Utilt are also options.
-A skilled Lucas player could try to spike you while you are recovering. Be careful about this.

Counterpicks? What to avoid and what to enforce?
-Most Lucas players seem to hate Yoshi's Island. I think FD would be there best neutral, but I could be wrong.
The support ghost on Yoshi's Island ruins PKT2 recovery, and we'd ban this because of wall clinging anyway.
-Try counterpicking stages with passable edges/weird edges. They can mess up a Lucas' recovery with PKT2. Also, large stages are good to have, as usual.
Passable stages improve PKT2 recovery.
-I know one Lucas who LOVES PS2, because the ice part allows sliding fsmashes/usmashes. Corneria is also commonly picked because of low ceiling, plus lasers to heal.
Corneria's banned now.

also, note that Lucas' recovery is too good.

What to avoid:
Lucas has a lot of tricks that make him quite threatening if you're not used to fighting him.

We all know about his PK Fire sending him incredible distances horizontally or vertically. Watch out for his PK Fiyah if you're going to run at him or if he tries to punish landing lag. He has a jab lock with his DTilt if he manages to get you trapped in it, which then leads to an easy FSmash for him. Watch out for him trapping you in his DAir onstage to his jab lock.

Another one of Lucas's "combos" I see is his NAir to UTilt. I try DI up to smack him with Lucario's DAir.

Be weary of spotdodging because you could get smacked by Lucas's DSmash.

Lucario won't probably get spiked unless he is too obvious with his ES.

Lucas's grab has incredible ending lag if he misses it.

Don't expect to gimp Lucas much.

By now I'm sure we all know not to be too obvious with Aura Sphere.

Outprioritize his PK Thunder with an FAir or a DAir if he's trying to juggle you in the air. If you get hit by all of PKT2 I think you take like 42% damage?

Don't DAir stall too much when you're above the stage because you could get trapped into Lucas's USmash (which hits the top platform of BF from the ground).

Unless you're falling for one if his early kill maneuvers Lucas seems to have sub-par killing potential and limited distance-wise with close range attacks. The stick is somewhat fast and will kill you 90-100%ish if you're not careful, but it should be pretty obvious. Horizontally though Lucario is much more disjointed and should deal well with attacks from all fronts. The PSI Magnet can kill you somewhat early offstage if you're not careful too.

I'd say 60:40 Lucario's favor against Lucas, I think he's a bit harder than Yoshi.
Depends on the aerial used, honestly.

Also, I don't believe that Lucario would beat Lucas all that much. We have to take into account that Lucas has some extreme things going for him that poke at our weaknesses, after all. We can't do anything to him out of a grab release like we can do to Ness, iirc, he has a much, much better absorber, letting him absorb 2x the amount of damage he would have taken compared to Ness's 1.5, as well as having virtually the same range... and an attack at the end for added safety if the rolling out of it wasn't safe enough. If I remember right, it's faster too. He has superb killing smashes, some of which linger even longer than our moves. His superb dair allows him to possibly true combo into his even more superb fsmash. His PKT is infinitely better than Ness's for many purposes, allowing him to safely harrass people at a much greater frequency by hitting them multiple times, and best of all hitting them AWAY from the thunder, which makes it a very scary and very safe edgeguard. Lucas is virtually impossible to gimp and nearly impossible to edgeguard, as he has dozens of ways to make it back to the stage safely from virtually any angle and virtually any distance.
Lucas:
Main moves to look out for:
Dair: Has fair vertical range and if all the hits connect does 20% [fresh]. Spikes. Lucas also uses this to
get guaranteed kill/smash set-ups

The 4th hit of Dair will start to knock us down into the dtilt lockable animation at 89%
So as previously stated avoid it like the plague <_>

Nair: The main air to air aerial, often used to start a small string, common follow-ups include uptilt and jab.

Jab: comes out on frame 2 ircc, which means its instantly faster then our whole ground game Xx, Does 10% if full combo is completed [fresh], They might jab cancel it into aerials, tilts or smashes though. Its worth nothing that our jab outranges it ever so slightly, but don't rely on it.

Forward Smash: Comes out stupid fast, and can kill you early if you get hit on the sides, usually connected out of a dair -> dtilt. Reflects Aura Sphere but they'll probably Zap Magnet it anyway.

Upsmash: Huuuuuuuuuuge vertical range. Kills stupidly early and can also chain out the dair-dtilt set-up if they do it fast enough ircc. Do not challenge this from above.

Dsmash: Lucas will mainly use this to catch sidesteps, although once in a blue moon with repeated sidesteps you can dodge the whole move, but its not reccomended. If Lucas does this from a platform it covers an aerial below him as well.

PK Fire: Annoying, generally used as a safe way to rack up damage. Cancels out Aura Sphere at ANY %.

Zap Magnet: Will generally be used to absorb aura sphere, can stall him offstage, Can punish force palm flame and then zap you if you ever whiff the grab/decide for some reason to use force palm flame [wtf?]. Can

PK Thunder: Can Harass us offstage but nothing big, Not a lot of people like to challenge PKT2 so some Lucas users take advantage of that to use this as a safe repositioning move.
Unlike Ness UpB Lucas does not stop like a rock if it hits your shield.

Rope Snake: Their Tether, has a bigger tether range then it suggests, does literally nothing besides help his recovery though.

Lucas has plenty of ways to work around our Aura Sphere so it will have to be used smartly in this match-up, IRCC We can get 1 regrab off of grab release and thats it. I don't know too much about the match-up but from the time I played Oats I believe its like 50-50 or 55-45 Lucario's advantage.

Speaking of SD, someone get Stauffy in here to voice his opinion, I do believe he has played Oats a lotttt so he should know plenty on the match-up.

How to win:
Lucas
What moves or tactics should we try to enforce in this match up?
-Fsmash outranges all of Lucas' non-projectile moves.
-While Lucas does not have a bad aerial game, Lucario beats him out in this department. But I think Lucas' fair beats out Lucario's, but Lucario's fair lingers.
-Bait the smashes and punish. Most Lucas players love using them.

Do you feel Lucario has an advantage in any particular scenario of this matchup?
-Lucas players prefer to use tether recovery instead of PKT2, so try to force them into using PKT2. They have only two options: aim at the edge or aim on the stage. Try to force them to recover the way you want them to and punish accordingly.
-Lucas is light, so assuming you survive long enough, your Fsmash can kill him pretty fast.
-Aura Sphere can completely cancel out PK Fire but don't rely on it.

Helpful tips:
Oh, and he has this really mean trick that most Lucases probably don't know. Iirc when you're below 100% and going for the ledge, Lucas can run and do a charged hyphen smash up at the very edge of the stage. By doing this, it becomes an extremely ******** trap, as you cannot attack him with your ledge attack, and ANYTHING you do will be hit by Lucas's ******** usmash range, from rolling to ledgedrop if he releases it right. That thing has stupid range.

Stages:
I'm not too sure which stages you should be taking Lucas to quite honestly. Unless you're really comfortable with BF I wouldn't take him there, probably avoid Lylat too.
Lucas
Counterpicks? What to avoid and what to enforce?
-Most Lucas players seem to hate Yoshi's Island. I think FD would be there best neutral, but I could be wrong.
-I know one Lucas who LOVES PS2, because the ice part allows sliding fsmashes/usmashes. Corneria is also commonly picked because of low ceiling, plus lasers to heal.

Disclaimer: This thread is made for the sole purpose of keeping matchup discussing clean and organized. If people wish to discuss a past matchup, they may do so in this thread without cluttering the current discussion.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
On a side note, after talking to NinjaLink, I'm now convinced the matchup is even. Lucas's pressure game is too good. :<

Nairs scare me now, too. Stupid lagless hexagons eating my shield omnomnom.

Also, do not be alarmed. It's just a snake.

Also, Lucas isn't light. He's midweight. O_o

Oh, and I'll repost my extremely accurate Lucas Usmash hitbox map.

Stay out of the yellow circles and you'll be fine.

Also, I think Lucas's uair may have nearly as much disjoint as our fair behind his head. o_O

Browny

Smash Hater
wow kita lol, after all that talk a few days ago, youve given up?

Also, the word 'utilt' comes to mind

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
On a side note, after talking to NinjaLink, I'm now convinced the matchup is even. Lucas's pressure game is too good. :<
Weren't you talking about how you think Lucario ***** Lucas not even a week ago?

You should probably not bother talking about these things if you lack the capacity to think for yourself and form your own opinions.

Top Bottom