• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question? We've got answers! Check out the OP for FAQs!

NoBio

Smash Apprentice
I have a question about D3's chain grab...

I know its banned in most tournaments but does that mean you can't re-grab at all with the down throw? Couldn't you do down throw > re-grab > back throw and it wouldn't be considered an infinite?

~NoTrace

stingers

Smash Obsessed
his normal cg doesn't work on a few characters, but i know what you mean.

and that's not banned in any tournaments lol

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Wait what? If you do a standing regrab on anyone, then backthrow, it is still considered an infinite.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i've accidentally screwed up the cg on dk before and grabbed without dashing, i just said sorry and bthrew them and everything was fine @.@

Turazrok

Smash Master
What is the best thing to do to someone once they've been cged to the edge?

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Best option: Fthrow

Mindgame option: Dthrow.

Another mindgame: Don't CG all the way to the edge, let the them spotdodge, pivot grab, CG again.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
What is the best thing to do to someone once they've been cged to the edge?
It really does depend on the character and the situation. I'll just list what you can do:
1.) Forward Throw: Good for damage and gets them offstage more, allowing for a gimping opportunity. Pretty basic and not much to it.
2.) Down Throw once more: This can lead to you hugging the ledge immediately afterwards for a mindgame. Or there's a possibility for an aerial attack. Stagespikes aren't that likely though.
3.) Grab Release [Just keep pummeling and they'll eventually release]: Best for characters who have fast falls like Fox, Falco, Sheik, Link. And do it on Snake too so you can follow it up while Snake does UpB.
4.) If you chaingrabbed somebody and their at low percents, you can backthrow them for a lot more damage.
That's about it really, the best thing of these choices depends on the character.

It's still a "rate my dedede" thread isn't it ?
Then can you guys, rate my Dedede ?:)

Offline videos in this album
http://allisbrawl.com/video/album.aspx?id=15375
I saw about three of the videos with Meta Knight, not bad Tekk :) 8/10 It could depend on the other player too but still.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Yes, while you are in the spin animation, you can hit c-stick and it won't cause you to spit out the opponent, allowing you to either buffer an uptilt or a shield canceled Bair.

haloman800

Smash Apprentice
Can DeDeDe go underneath Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, or Lylat Cruise?

Also, Jiggs pound gives her horizontal lift, does DeDeDe's forward air give him any? Or any of his aerials for that matter.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Can DeDeDe go underneath Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, or Lylat Cruise?

Also, Jiggs pound gives her horizontal lift, does DeDeDe's forward air give him any? Or any of his aerials for that matter.
He can only go under Smashville. Expect to do upB while having to cancel it, which can be predictable and your opponent can just hug the ledge. No aerials give him extra aerial mobility.

Jupz

Smash Master
Roman :D

I'll give you a bit of a critique but wait for beefy, he gives the best critique.

Against toon link, try to postion yourself towards the center of the stage and away from the corner. Don't allow him to control the middle of the stage. If you're on the edge he can bombard you with aerials, and come up and aerial your shield which will be unpunishable as you'll be pushed onto the edge. Powershield the projectiles and punish with Ftilt. Short hop aerials can be punished by a SH bair if you're facing the opposite way. Don't spotdodge too much against toon link - they rarely grab, and when they do its not that painful. Its worth taking a grab rather then a semi charged smash. If you think they might grab, you can simply Full hop Dair.

Don't try to combat his projectiles with waddle dees - it won't get you anywhere. You're going to have to approach. One or two waddle dees are good to rid the arrow cancels.

use Bair to DI, not Uair (I know you're used to MK)
On smashville you can only infinite them if the platform is going the way you are facing.

if you're getting too badly pressued, air camp for a little while. remember Bair cancels most his projectiles except bombs.

haloman800

Smash Apprentice
Thank you Beef, and AtotheZ. I was able to go under SV, not FD, I didn't try BF, but I wasn't able to go under Lylat. I'm going to try BF later.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Oh come on Juppies :( you don't give yourself enough praise.
Please shred my D3.

No johns I know, but consider this is the first time I've played D3 in a tournament match for about 6 months, I have now however decided to main him. I have a long way to go :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/o0vlade0o#p/u/3/2gPZRSq6z9k

Try to not go on about the missed changed grabs, I know that was scrub :D
I think I remember your King Dedede being critiqued once before Roman, well you've improved quite a bit, good job.
There's no need to use down smash that early in a stock. I caught you doing it unnecessarily three times, it leaves you in lag and Toon Link punishes easily. You have many better options, and you know that Toon Link is going to be shorthopping almost the whole time. Try not to dodge roll so much for this matchup because there are open frames where Toon Link will hit you near every time, whether it would be from his projectiles or his Zair/neutral air. I've learned for this matchup also, is to not dash as much as you normally would, and be smart with avoiding his projectiles by walking shield, spotdodging or jumping. By always dashing, you limit your options to Toon Link to only shieldgrab, dash attack, and shorthop forward air. These three options are exactly what Toon Link can stop easily.
On Castle Siege, that's a differe t story, because King Dedede does well here. At the second transformation instead of trying to avoid everything he's doing to you from above, you should take control and knock him off the top. And you stay above him until the next transformation. You've gotten better Roman, just build your sense of being smart for matchups and I think you're good to go. 8/10
Thanks for your input Jupz, as it's always a great help and you said different things to me, yay.

True Romance

Smash Ace
Thanks man.

It's funny cos D3 was the first character I played in tournament and I've since ****ed around with lots of different characters and now I've done a full circle lol.

I felt like if I took my oppurtunities it that set I could of done alot better, thanks for the tips Jups and Beef I'll be sure to work it in to my game.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
You're all welcome, it's my literal pleasure to answer your questions and help your King Dededes.
And I actually tested this... King Dedede can successfully go under both Smashville and Battlefield. It was a failure on the other stages.

I'm finally updating the original post with everything.

Turazrok

Smash Master
This is more of a general question, but it would apply more to D3 because it would help him. Can you utilt OoS?
Does it give you invincibility frames?
Is there ever a situation where you would want to use nair?

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
I'm not entirely sure about up tilt oos, but I'm pretty sure you can.
Yes, it does have invincibility frames.
Nair can be used to go through airdodges, can be used to clank with diddy's up b to corrupt it, and can be fastfalled to lead into a free grab.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
EA vs Fakeman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIYHdmkv-6E
hey can anyone help me approach a Dsynching IC? Whenever I try something like waddle throw or Ftilt, I get damaged and the waddle get's cancelled by the blizzard. This is the first Good IC I've played, I tried to approach in a Y axis by doing Uairs and Dairs according to the matchup info. But the Dair doesn't seem to be working properly. Then I get punished by the chain grab. So is there any safe tactics when going against a Dsynching IC?

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Serin...I find that a little offending, but yes I do have fun while doing this, but I don't need luck for it. You lazy***.
EA vs Fakeman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIYHdmkv-6E
hey can anyone help me approach a Dsynching IC? Whenever I try something like waddle throw or Ftilt, I get damaged and the waddle get's cancelled by the blizzard. This is the first Good IC I've played, I tried to approach in a Y axis by doing Uairs and Dairs according to the matchup info. But the Dair doesn't seem to be working properly. Then I get punished by the chain grab. So is there any safe tactics when going against a Dsynching IC?
I understand what you're going through. I was actually quite surprised to how you knew how to manage them in the first place judging by the video. Mainly from being smart and going on the platform, going to the ledge when necessary, spacing a back air here and there. You have a great idea how to avoid them, so don't feel like you're not doing horrible agains them because you know what you're doing and I can see that.
You said that your down air wasn't working correctly, well you're not using it correctly. Every time you shorthop a down air, you'll get that horrible lag. Always fullhop a down air, or even do multiple down airs with your jumps, and with the last jump with upB, head for the ledge so you won't get punished. And your mistake to the first chaingrab, you forward tilted even when you saw them running to shield. Don't do lag moves like down smash to Ice Climbers at their low percents, you did it twice in a row which is bad. Do a runnign forward throw, or shorthop inhale to separate them instead if that's what you were looking for in down smashing.
You were doing great in manuvering around blizzard wall by jumping over, don't remove that strategy from your gameplay, but add more to your blizzard avoiding tactics. You were using forward tilt to battle their blizzard wrong also. Space it when you see one jumping into the range and try to hit them the most outside of the forward tilt hitbox as you can. That's a well-spaced forward tilt, as it goes thru blizzard desynching them and ensuring you don't get grabbed from any punishment.
Also, it it means not being hit by blizzard, just avoid it altogether if you're not confident about my description of forward tilt, go run away or go on the ledge.
You were doing this anyways so good job.
Another thing...DI with back air when sent vertically, not down air.

I'll get to you later Count.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Yes, let it be known that I am lazy. Tell you what. The next video that pops up, I'll critique. :)

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Thanks mate, anyway if that's the case not to use the D-smash. What moves can I use to tack damage? if I try to space Ftilt, it usually cancels because the IC keeps doing Dsynch blizzard. Then I try to waddle throw, if I spam that it will force the IC to approach and I'll have to run away.
If I full hop Dair, It won't reach or if it does I still have some lag when I land. I don't know if you get me. But it's kind of slow for me to tack the damage this way, Then I'm worried the timer will run out. If I keep just Bairing He will notice and then the IC will roll when I Bair.
I'm not trying to be stupid but, I just feel like I can't KO them efficiently.
Just picked up Dedede again for serious playing btw, still need to get comfortable with him.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
You're such a maggot Serin.
Sorry but I don't feel the need to crititque all of the videos but I watched them :).
Just know that you shouldn't down throw Meta Knight much because you already knew...he airdodged so he wouldn't have to tech roll. You shouldn't try to down smash that early anyways, only down throw for the Buuman Trap when he's in kill percents my friend.
I'd say, just like me, you should work on the matchup more in depth, like predicting Tornadoes better, and knowing when he's going to tilt and such, and counter him from there. Otherwise, you did well against the Meta Knight and not much to spot.
I WISH I COULD GET MORE INPUT FROM PEOPLE ON THESE CRITIQUES. I KNOW THERE'S MORE THAN JUST MY POINT-OF-VIEW.
Against Fox, you gotta stop going for the grab because he kept punishing with shorthopped aerials into smashes. Do more waiting for Fox and back air his aerials, and of course while you're waiting if he's blasting throw a waddle dee and he'll most likely approach.

Thanks mate, anyway if that's the case not to use the D-smash. What moves can I use to tack damage? if I try to space Ftilt, it usually cancels because the IC keeps doing Dsynch blizzard. Then I try to waddle throw, if I spam that it will force the IC to approach and I'll have to run away.
If I full hop Dair, It won't reach or if it does I still have some lag when I land. I don't know if you get me. But it's kind of slow for me to tack the damage this way, Then I'm worried the timer will run out. If I keep just Bairing He will notice and then the IC will roll when I Bair.
I'm not trying to be stupid but, I just feel like I can't KO them efficiently.
Just picked up Dedede again for serious playing btw, still need to get comfortable with him.
Don't worry about trying to rack damage, as long as you try to keep them separated and attacking them in the process, you'll be dealing good amounts of damage also. Forward tilt cancels? Whoa.. if that happens, try it again in the same instant, they can't grab you immediately after, and you don't need to waddle dee throw...it's becoming more and more of a useless projectile with the current metagame because it's a tad laggy. Use it sparingly. And if down airs don't hit all the time, at least you'll get some damage and them and you'll be safe from chaingrabs if you do down airs in the way I said above. You don't have to hit them all the time, and if you're trying to get comfortable with him...then that's the deal right now. Get comfortable with him and you won't worry about many things during the match as much. You never used inhale or an aproaching forward throw, both of them always separates them and they can't chaingrab you when one is being harmed.

Countcocofang

Smash Cadet
Thanks Beefy, I can always expect you to HELP OUT A FELLOW DEDEDE UNLIKE MOST PEOPLE.

I also feel like I shield and roll way too much against MK, so imma work on not doing that. And against Fox I have to approach if he plays campy, but I guess this guy never did camp so I guess I should have :p

Thanks again

Top Bottom