• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N-word on SWF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Primarily I'd like to say that this is unorthodox for the debate hall and I apologize for this.

I was recently involved in a very heated debate on SWF involving a group of people in my state using words such as n*gger, *****, and n*ggy. This isn't the first time I've done this, I've also spoken up for a kid in my state who was constantly at the brunt of jewish jokes.

Here is the thread(starts on page 70 until the thread is closed):
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=253491&page=70

Here is my initial post which started it all:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9043687&postcount=1043

Also I'd like to apologize again, my arguments are not written in a formal debate manner(My explanations and mannerisms are to convince these people from my state, not fellow DHers/PGers). However, I don't know where else to post this being that it was going simply nowhere, not to mention the injustices dealt still remain evident.

Shortly after my post, someone who agreed with me posted, and more importantly someone who felt victimized by the matter. Here is a link to his post: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9043907&postcount=1045

So if anyone would give me their opinions on this matter, it's quite a few pages, I'd appreciate it. Personally, I am baffled by some of the ignorance displayed--which is why I am seeking all of your opinions. It's fairly important to me. I've been heavily ridiculed for my stance on this issue on other threads since this has happened, I even feel that the majority of my state is against me on this. However it's also very apparent to me that ACE, Bl@ckchr!s, and I were in the right on this one.

Thank you for your time every one, and I hope that this thread is permitted to stay. I have hopes that it will provide us with some interesting discussion/debate at the very least.

Ryan Ludovic

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think this topic only exists because they closed the one you were discussing it in previously.

The word is just that, a word. The meaning has roots where people may be offended, but that relies on the personal perception of the person it is being relayed to. If you are using it to be offensive, expect a good chance someone will be offended. If you are using it playfully, know the risks that it may be offensive.

The same stands for any term that has roots in which someone may be offended.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
I appreciate the post, but I was the one who asked the mod to close the thread because I was over the senseless bickering. Although clearly outnumbered in the argument he said I was right with what I said, and I haven't even told anyone that. So you're wrong in that assumption, and any others you probably have. I posted it here because no one saw my point basically, and still don't.. and I'm astounded by that, and i'm curious and hopeful in regard to my support with this issue, so here I am.

Anyway, if you don't mind you should try posting again being that I'd appreciate the insight. What you said wasn't really on topic... except for the part about the whole process of offending someone relies on personal perception. You're right, but how is it not more reliant on the person saying the word? He or she is saying it knowingly that someone could possibly be offended, therefore the person who said it is choosing the first out of these 2 choices: 1) Say the n-word knowingly that it offends and could possibly antagonize people or 2) Withhold from saying the word, no matter my opinion on it's use, so that every one is happy. IMO the person saying the word is very selfish for their own beliefs concerning the word being that it contemporary times, no matter what many are going to remain to be insulted by this word.

Anyway, my points are based on empathy and respect... which apparently few have in my state. The argument is more complex than the topic suggests.. Anyway, my arguments and points are within that thread, page 70 up, and they hardly relate with what R.L. said. So if anyone cares to give it thorough read and give me their feedback as I said, it would be appreciated.

Ryan Ludovic

Smash Journeyman
I appreciate the post, but I was the one who asked the mod to close the thread because I was over the senseless bickering. Although clearly outnumbered in the argument he said I was right with what I said, and I haven't even told anyone that. So you're wrong in that assumption, and any others you probably have. I posted it here because no one saw my point basically, and still don't.. and I'm astounded by that, and i'm curious and hopeful in regard to my support with this issue, so here I am.
Apologies for my incorrect and possibly offensive assumption

Anyway, if you don't mind you should try posting again being that I'd appreciate the insight. What you said wasn't really on topic... except for the part about the whole process of offending someone relies on personal perception. You're right, but how is it not more reliant on the person saying the word? He or she is saying it knowingly that someone could possibly be offended, therefore the person who said it is choosing the first out of these 2 choices: 1) Say the n-word knowingly that it offends and could possibly antagonize people or 2) Withhold from saying the word, no matter my opinion on it's use, so that every one is happy. IMO the person saying the word is very selfish for their own beliefs concerning the word being that it contemporary times, no matter what many are going to remain to be insulted by this word.

Anyway, my points are based on empathy and respect... which apparently few have in my state. The argument is more complex than the topic suggests.. Anyway, my arguments and points are within that thread, page 70 up, and they hardly relate with what R.L. said. So if anyone cares to give it thorough read and give me their feedback as I said, it would be appreciated.
I feel the majority of my previous post has everything to do with this. If you say the N-Word, it can rightfully offend someone. Whether it offends them depends on that person and how they feel towards that word.This is the case with most derogatory words used to insult someone. Just as ***, or f*gg*t would be used to insult someone who is homosexual. Depending on who that person is, will determine whether or not it is offensive. I know plenty of homosexual people who become insulted by that word. I also know plenty of people who are not who are homosexual[myself included]

It's immoral to risk insulting or offending someone by using those words. If you are with a friend who considers it ok to joke around about that stuff, then it is fine. People who are listening into the conversation or eavesdropping may be offended and confront you. The scope in which it should be used should be so minuscule that it almost never happens.

Really, it is peoples perceptions that make a word offensive - simply because they take offense to it. People need to un-demonize all words for themselves, because really words are just words. They are sound.
Whether they are fueled by childish jokes or hatred, they are just that - words.

Until that time comes, don't use words like that.

rhan

Smash Hero
Being half white and black I have had a great deal of racism towards me. From black/white people in my area. Even in my own family. Welcome to the world we live in. People hate each other because they are not like them and there's nothing we can do about that.

On topic: A word is a word. If it offends you in such a way ignore it or take either positive or negitive action.

Personal Opinion: The word has been used so frequently that I no longer see it as a derogatory statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom