• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GPX Presents: Tekkoshocon April 9-11 Pittsburgh, PA Hosted by Plank!

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice
Tekkoshocon & GPX April 10-11
Tekkoshocon Anime, Gaming & JRock Cultural Convention + GPX Gaming Events, Conventions & Tournaments

What: Tekkoshocon + GPX Gaming Events
Who: GPX Gaming Tournament Administration+Plank!
Where: David L. Lawrence Convention Center
1000 Fort Duquesne Boulevard, Pittsburgh, PA
When: April 10-11 2010
Why: GPX has been with Tekko since 2007 and it is time for the community to see how awesome their tourneys are!

**********Tekkoschocon & GPX**********

Price:

Melee Singles: $5
Melee Teams: $10/team
Brawl Singles: $5
Brawl Teams: $10/team

Convention fee:
Entire Badge: $55
Friday: $35
Saturday: $40
Sunday: $25

Don't forget that this is a convention with thousands of people! Random people enter some of the game tournaments just because they're at the convention, so this adds to the attendance as well!

General Rules:

2/3 Rounds (T6 3/5 - Smash 3 Stocks / 4 Stock [Grand Finals])
2/3 Matches
Double Elimination
3/5 Winners/Losers Finals/Grand Finals
RuleSets can be found on GPX Gaming

**********April 8-11**********

Tourney Schedule:

Thursday:

Free play, Warmups!

Friday

Free play, Warmups
Saturday

11:00 AM: Melee Teams
1:00 PM: Melee singles
4:00 PM: Brawl Teams
7:00 PM: Brawl Singles

Sunday - Finals/semis for all games

The finals for each tournament will run on Sunday
For more information please visit the tekkoshocon website or GPX Gaming for more information

ALL Tournaments Can be followed live @ www.tonamento.com!

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
ill repost this thread later tonight so its more smash related. its in pittsburgh for those who dont know where tekko is. ill be here running it.

Vyke

Smash Champion
Ten dollars?

Isn't this tournament usually free?

Are there prizes along with the dough?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
yeah, its usually free, but GPX hired me to make their tournaments more official. real rules, real entry fees and everything. I think the prizes are just the entry fees, but ill ask

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Do we have to pay the $25 convention fee if we're just playing melee? Or is that like, if we want access to everything else?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Yeah, you have to pay the fee. It's a bummer, I know, but basically my goal is just to get an extra smashboards people who are WILLING to pay it and go to be aware of it! There's tons of cool things at the convention aside from smash, and if you want to check it out take a look at the tekko website! I'll do my best to make it worth everyones time/money here tho, i promise that :)

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
At least melee is on the cheaper day lol. I'll try and make it to this, sounds like it could be nice.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
oh? i will fix the schedule in a bit. sorry bout that. im either gonna have to start really early or run them both saturday. hmm

as far as smash goes ignore the tekko forums, those responsibilites were handed to me

Engel

Smash Journeyman
friday night could also work maybe? Or perhaps melee singles early saturday night then doubles still on sunday?

And as tekko staff, I can't really ignore the tekko forums. A lot of people look at them and will be annoyed if the info there is wrong. So I'd appreciate it if you/manny/colin/someone could update the info there, thanks =)

Vyke

Smash Champion
Shooting for Doubles for both either Friday or Sunday, and have both Singles for both games on Saturday?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Oh, my bad, I didn't know you were Tekko staff. i didnt mean it like that, I just dont have access to those forums at all or anything. ill talk to them! im trying to make whatever is convenient for the most smash people without having to pay for 2 days worth of fee, because i know they wont be willing to do that :p

Big_R

Smash Champion
**** it dude plank just comes around and hosts tournys i could go to but makes it on a clear conflict date(smym) or bonkers venue fee when im not interested in anything besides some smash. not to say its plank doing this i just needed someone to....blame? lol

well gg to me on this one too

but uhh by all means...keep at it

Engel

Smash Journeyman
lol plank it's cool, I know you don't really deal with tekko and are doing this stuff to help the smash community but I figured since you work with Manny you could ask him to update his tekko post since we do have a lot of random people enter brawl/melee every year. If they see the wrong info and get confused they're bound to come to me at info desk and complain... and I'd rather avoid unnecessary complaints o_0

If you want both melee tournies together I think starting them late day friday could work, or just shove them in after brawl as saturday is the main day that gets most attendance

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
how late is the place open friday night? id say melee firday night brawl saturday should work out just fine. ill talk to manny about the tekko forum post :)

Engel

Smash Journeyman
Everything closes down at 1:30 am thurs/fri/sat nights as we have to all be out by 2 or face paying the convention center a lot more money :\

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Oh yea I know how that is. I know you all usually get a ton of entrants, but I wonder how the $10 entry fee will change that up. I guess we will see. I'll talk to manny tomorrow and get everything set in stone as far as the schedule goes

Engel

Smash Journeyman
awesome thanks plank

and yeah the entry fee kinda worries me. Dunno if our kids will really want to spend more after paying the con fee. Having free tournies as well would be ideal but that would be incredibly hard timewise... maybe smaller fee of like $5? *Shrugs* I don't really work with the game room so maybe have Manny discuss this more with Colin (Octal Black on tekko forums) to make sure everything goes as smooth as possible =)

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice
updated the first post with new schedule.

we will run melee friday night, brawl saturday night, and finals for the games sunday. unfortunately that is inconvenient for people who dont want to stay for the entire convention, but these tournaments are really mostly for them

prices have been lowered as well to encourage con attendance.

this is plank btw, forgot to re-log

TheLake

Smash Master
Good compromises plank

This should be really cool

Crews ma man brawls HUGE here for some reason

just sayin

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I could be wrong, but iirc, the only tournament scheduled for pittsburgh all year until this one is on july 10-11, its called hope by m@v unless im not remembering right

I hope they not mad

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
Good compromises plank

This should be really cool

Crews ma man brawls HUGE here for some reason

just sayin
Lakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkeeeee. Long time no see man. As for brawl is huge here, what do you mean. Brawl is huge in Pittsburgh or Brawl is going to be huge at this tournament?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I'm not sure if i could fit ALL of brawl AND melee into saturday. I'm trying a few different setups at my first few conventions to see what works best with the smash community+con goers together. The convention ends at 3 on sunday so it was either run a tourney on friday while people were working, or run finals sunday.

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
Haha I just realized how big of a waste of money this is. ****ing anime messing up a perfectly good smash tourney.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
If you guys are wondering how this will go, here's how Anime boston went. We got a pretty good turnout. More for brawl, the mass of convention casual players prefer brawl. AB had $10 per event so it was more expensive, so i can only imagine Tekko will have even more entrants.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Look, I'm just telling you up-front that the convention fee kills any chance of getting us to attend. Do you honestly think we're gonna pay $50+ to go play Smash? I'd like to go and bring a friend, but that admission is exorbiant. If we could just go in, pay the smash fee, play, and leave, it might be a different story.

Engel

Smash Journeyman
Do you honestly think we're gonna pay $50+ to go play Smash?
Clearly not, that's why the site link was posted for people to check out what else is going on at the convention. Is it that hard to grasp the concept of people liking smash and anime/jrock/other gaming/etc? Plank has nothing to do with the con price and it won't be changing. Plank is helping to legitimize smash tournys at all the big anime cons for those who enjoy attending them but if anime cons aren't your cup of tea then don't go, more smashin for the rest of us :bee:

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
TY engel, and yes, that's exactly right. I am simply posting to say that -IF- this is your type of thing and you are willing to pay the money+want to beat the CON kids, then go for it. I totally understand if people can't afford the money simply to enter the tournament. I am doing the best I can with running these tournaments at the conventions and everyone is having an amazing time. We had 44 entrants at Boston, only like 4 of which were from smashboards, so i totally understand where you guys are coming from.

The link for AB results thread:::

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=270951

Top Bottom