• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Rock, Arkansas Melee Smashfests

chamberlin

Smash Ace
Little Rock, Arkansas Melee Smashfests

This is an open invitation for all those who are trying to step up their Melee game in Arkansas (other states are highly encouraged to come as well). Depending on interest and who shows up, we may or may not have a tournament, but it's mostly a lot of free play. It's my hope that this thing picks up and tons of people get involved.

Time:

Usually on the weekends, but not necessarily every weekend. It just kinda happens when it happens. Another great way to know what's going on is from this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=74229

Venue Address:

1502 Green Mountain Dr. (APT #112)
Little Rock, AR 72211

If this ever gets big enough to the point where we'll need a bigger place, I think we may be able to move to Stage 2 Games or some place else.

Entry Fee

No entry fees unless otherwise specified. If we have a reeeally big tournament, it'll probably have an entry fee and probably it's own thread.

General Rules:

If we were to have a tournament, these would be the rules:

***Wobbling is allowed***

•4 stock
•2/3 sets
•3/5 losers, winners, and grand finals
•8 minute time limit
•Items off
•Ties broken by lives, then %
•Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime.
•Stage Knock Out: Each person may choose one stage to be disabled for the entire set, it must be chosen at the beginning of the set, after initial characters are chosen.
•Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or select to go random. The winner may then change their character, followed by the loser.
•Bring your own controller
•Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
•Team Attack will be ON
•Life stealing allowed

Stage Selection

Stage Striking will be in effect for the first match of the set. The player with the lower port will get to choose the first strike. Players strike until there is only one stage left, and that will be the stage that's played.

One ban per player per set. To be chosen after the first match is played.

Neutrals 1v1:
FD
Yoshis
Dreamland
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams

Neutrals 2v2:
FD
Yoshis
Dreamland
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks 1v1:
Kongo Jungle
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks 2v2:
Kongo Jungle
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I'm always down for smash, no doubt. Hosting sounds super fun, I'll try to keep this place where we have some refreshments to offer the people who come. If anyone travels to this, keep in mind we would be more than willing to provide housing for the weekend. Also, I'm quite sure that if we're playing that stages such as Pokemon Stadium will be allowed if it's cool with the other person. I dunno, though, I'm not a wobbling fan >_>

edit* 1st post XD

chamberlin

Smash Ace
The whole "stage striking" thing doesn't actually work with Poke Stadium on Neutral. You can play it all you want in friendlies, but if we have a tourny, I'd like to do it as legit as possible.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Ah, aight. Well I have no problem playing it to be honest, but the rules are the rules. I'll just spam it in friendlies lol.

Light_13

Smash Journeyman
Yo if there's gonna be a brawl setup here then ill definately come. And ill try to relearn melee but I'm mostly into brawl now. I'm visiting from the midwest this weekend so ill probably be good for it. sooo.....brawl setup

G. Vice

Smash Lord
If anyone needs to contact me, I'm willing to PM you guys my cell number. Just hit me up if you need it. But as far as brawl setups go...I'm not too sure. This does say melee after all lol. But if you wanna come by and play some Arkansas people at melee then sho' nuff come on down.

chamberlin

Smash Ace
Well, nobody's exactly busting down our door at the moment, so how about we start it next weekend instead? This was kinda short notice anyway, and if we change it Yoshi and Arby may be able to come also since they'll be back in town.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Well, nobody's exactly busting down our door at the moment, so how about we start it next weekend instead? This was kinda short notice anyway, and if we change it Yoshi and Arby may be able to come also since they'll be back in town.
Lemme call Yoshi, he may actually be in town tomorrow. I think they were gonna come up the Saturday before classes start anyway. But yeah, we should probably move it officially to next weekend, and just go from here as far as this weekend's friendlies.

*edit

Got a guest showing up. If anyone else wants to stop by lemme know.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, the campus doesn't open until Sunday :\

But I definitely want to go in the future, and unlike certain green dinosaurs among us, I pay gas money.

Vts

Smash Champion
Unfortunately, the campus doesn't open until Sunday :\

But I definitely want to go in the future, and unlike certain green dinosaurs among us, I pay gas money.
<3 and u didn't even get to go to memphis that one time.

get better so we can have a 6th member of the crew ;)

just stop getting down enjoy the game live, laugh, and livers.... had to end with another L somehow..should have said lovers but would sounded creepy. Tomorrow i plan on being there asap hoping i can talk my sup to letting me off early.

also we should have a record set up so i can make combo videos. aka my brain freeze , G.vice's Turn to Evil, Chamberlin's Do What Wins, and Ace's **** or Be ***** (all working names except mine.)

G. Vice

Smash Lord
<3 and u didn't even get to go to memphis that one time.

get better so we can have a 6th member of the crew ;)

just stop getting down enjoy the game live, laugh, and livers.... had to end with another L somehow..should have said lovers but would sounded creepy. Tomorrow i plan on being there asap hoping i can talk my sup to letting me off early.

also we should have a record set up so i can make combo videos. aka my brain freeze , G.vice's Turn to Evil, Chamberlin's Do What Wins, and Ace's **** or Be ***** (all working names except mine.)
The CF and Ganon that will be in my vid aren't evil though! D:

And they don't plan to turn that way T.T

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
that getting better thing has been hampered by a month long hibernation, which sadly did not involve waterfalls or being underneath them

HOWEVER, in the spirit of life, laughter, and livers i will persevere and meanwhile transform yoshiman into the best kirby the world will ever know

as for recording, i think my dazzle's quality is pretty good after months of messing with it. if i can't fix my tv's out port i'll just buy the cables necessary to record out of an in port and then everybody's happy :D

edit: actually, i'll just buy them anyway. now we could record and upload these biweeklies for the world to see!...?

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I can tryyyy to be at some of these...but it's still going to be unlikely as I have moved :x
It's no sweat bro, Arkansas still loves you <3

if you guys do get a hankering to own some Arkansans though, and you get a carpool or something and make it down here, we got enough room for several people to sleep over.

_ToAsT_

Smash Apprentice
Sounds interesting. I think I'll start coming to the events. It will be a lot easier to come once I get my car though in Feb.

~Toast

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Sounds interesting. I think I'll start coming to the events. It will be a lot easier to come once I get my car though in Feb.

~Toast
Hey sweet! Have you and I ever met? I don't think we have, but it's nice to hear that you're interested and wanting to attend :D

edit~ I dunno If I'll be here for this one seeing as how it's my mom's birthday the day after this. I was planning on going in to visit her since I haven't seen her in about a month anyway. But if ya know, it got moved like a week later or even if we wanted to move it to this upcoming weekend since we all probably can't make powerplay, that'd be pretty sweet >_>

chamberlin

Smash Ace
So yeah, I changed the date of the next bi-weekly date to this weekend. Too many people wanting to play Smash lol. I wonder if we should just make them "weeklies"?

G. Vice

Smash Lord
So yeah, I changed the date of the next bi-weekly date to this weekend. Too many people wanting to play Smash lol. I wonder if we should just make them "weeklies"?
I dunno if I can afford keeping snacks and drinks stocked for people on a weekly basis :x

But smash wise most def lol

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
it is very homely over there. ;)

maybe random people (myself included) could bring two liters when possible, which is really all that's needed i think.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I don't think Arkansas has enough players to call out a top 10...

but yeah it will work out and maybe see what we can do when it comes to power rankings, provided our region maintains a PR system.

MCSR

Smash Apprentice
Definitely.
just have everybody bring cash for eating out, and maybe some soda/two-liters.
less money outta pocket for you guys, and more smashing in AR overall.

chamberlin

Smash Ace
Yeeeeeah, t'would be pretty sweet to have a bunch of folks down here. The more come, especially at the same time, the better.

But yeah, me and Vice were talking about maybe spending the night in the Memphis area one of these weekends, arriving Friday night and leaving Sat night. We might even bring a VTS, an Ace, or possibly a Seif or two while we were at it. I don't really know when or anything, it's just an idea atm.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Dub Post~

Arbustos, Yoshi, VTS, is anyone wanting to smash this weekend? I can probably swing Friday, as well as Saturday.

Keep in mind that Vice + Chams basically only play when you guys come over, so you guys may be catching up. But we don't plan on relinquishing our positions as Senior Superior Statewide Smashers (Tetra-S Brigade) even if we don't play anymore.

I dunno though, for real, I feel like I'm falling out of smash. I kinda blame this girl that I'm talking too, but I really don't mind it at all. But I am very curious to see how to perform vs all you able bodied and active smashers. Anyone wanna play Vicey? :x

chamberlin

Smash Ace
I think you would play more if I was around more... But I'm reeeeeally busy with church stuff and and I myself am also trying to court a young lady (although I don't text and talk in the mass quantities you do)

However, just because I don't play doesn't mean that I don't watch vids and still think about the game waaaaay too much. If anything all this other stuff only gives me more inspiration and a better attitude to compete at a higher level.

I wouldn't be surprised if VTS and the others do catch up. Not because of us falling behind or anything, but only because they've been training so hard to get better. I think ole Vice just wants somebody to beat him just so he can have an excuse to quit. :p

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I think you would play more if I was around more... But I'm reeeeeally busy with church stuff and and I myself am also trying to court a young lady (although I don't text and talk in the mass quantities you do)

However, just because I don't play doesn't mean that I don't watch vids and still think about the game waaaaay too much. If anything all this other stuff only gives me more inspiration and a better attitude to compete at a higher level.

I wouldn't be surprised if VTS and the others do catch up. Not because of us falling behind or anything, but only because they've been training so hard to get better. I think ole Vice just wants somebody to beat him just so he can have an excuse to quit. :p
If getting beat was the excuse I need to quit, you'd have made me quit long ago lol. Get better at reasoning :lick:

Yeah they're training's sure to have paid off. And I like yourself am interested in courting a young lady as well. Also, I don't really watch vids or even think about melee in mass quantities as I have in the past. I think about other things :bee:

But seriously, when you're home we end up talking about our respective ladies, or we work out. I just don't see as much smashing as in the past and we never smashed alot since we moved in together.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Arby and Yoshi beat me at KO's tournament.

I blame me playing the wrong matchups. I played yoshi with Fox, but was able to beat him with Falco, and the other way around for arby.

:(

Vts

Smash Champion
Arby and Yoshi beat me at KO's tournament.

I blame me playing the wrong matchups. I played yoshi with Fox, but was able to beat him with Falco, and the other way around for arby.

:(
i blame my lack of skill for losing to jack.... twice but then again he is so much further ahead of me

for now...

also i need to make new thread for this Arkansas tournament.

waiting on venue pictures though to make it pro.

Top Bottom