• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GUI (Visual) Game and Watch Creator! Perl users please help!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Alright, so here's the deal, I recently put together a texture pack and I found that the best way to make Game and Watches was with GWitizer, and nothing against the programmer, but it's a little tedious to look at color charts and whatnot, and it's unforgiving if you type the wrong thing.

SO

I programmed a graphical interface for it on Java, and it exports the EXACT lines to a text file that would be exactly what you're typing. Like, the first question GWitizer asks ifs if you'd like to change G&W #1's inside, and if you do, you type "y". So the first line of my output text is "y", and the next 3 lines are the RGB values. Even if you don't want to change a particular color, you can leave it on the graphical part (seen below), and it will put a "y" with the default numbers, so you can leave one, some, or all the original colors.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM:
I am not great with Perl, and I learned how to read in data and store to an array using the @enternamehere deal and reference them, but I can't manage to modify GWitizer.pl to read correctly from the file. I am getting hung up on the while loops and where to put the loops on going through my text file for input. I even wrote another version of GWitizer that took out all the "y/n" questions (and edited my Java program to output only numbers) and then referenced the array directly, but for some reason it's not packing the right numbers despite debugging showing me that it is reading correctly. The PAC / PCS files result in all black Game and Watches.

So could somebody please help me (or if they want to do it I am handing over my code!) make it so that GWitizer can read in my text file, which is 100% what it's asking for and in the correct order, output from a graphical and super user friendly .jar program?

Here are the screens for the non-believers =P

Upon opening, shows previews and you can click the buttons to change whatever you want. The rectangle represents Mr. Game and Watch's body color and outline and the oval represents Mr. Game and Watch's attack and final smash color and outline.

You can use the regular color palette...

Or go for the color wheel. The images update in real time as you confirm any color.

You could make all these Game and Watches for example, click the bottom button, then you'd have a "write.txt" file which is exactly formatted the way that GWitizer takes its inputs.

I mean, as it is, running the program and then opening the text file and copying over the numbers manually is still a lot easier than looking at color charts and figuring out the numbers that way, yeah? So it's not a complete failure. Oh, and here's the .jar executable of my program, it'll output to write.txt in the folder that you run it from:

http://www.mediafire.com/?menn0mmtoyt

I really hope somebody can read in the text file into a modified GWitizer.pl, it seems like it should be easy, but like I said I'm getting errors presumably from the "if" and "while" loops and my inexperience with Perl.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Oh, yes! I certainly hope someone can help you get this working. I also hate having to go back and forth between the RGB color #s, and paint, my version of your program, haha.

If this gets to working I will definitely redo my old custom G&W textures. =]

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Yeah, it is definitely a good thing I think since no one has gotten a graphical version of GWitizer working (at least publicly) thus far. I'd love for someone with Perl experience to hop on this thread and implement what I'm sure is like, 10 lines of code in the right spot and fix this up, or give me advice as to where I would do it. *glares at Perl programmers out there*, haha.

Baro

Smash Journeyman
uh D:

what does the rectangle represent and what does the oval represent?

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Ah, yeah, sorry about that, I'll update it in the first post. I forgot that I never wrote it anywhere on there, haha. Thanks for clarifying that for anyone that didn't know Luigiman.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
@Kei : My program just is a interface that lets you easily select the colors, it still, if someone helps or if I figure it out, will use GWitizer to make the actual texture file. Therefore, you'd have to talk to the people who work on that if you want patterns =P

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
it seems the link is broken...also a link to the other program would be appreciated...Im tired of the original G&W textures! D:

Top Bottom