• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frown has fallen in love

Frown

poekmon
Link to original post: Frown has fallen in love

A few days ago, I was introduced to a friend of Fragbait's on Skype. Somehow, this friend named Carly managed to charm me like nobody else and I can honestly say that I fell in love with her.

Fell in love? With a girl on the other side of the world? Well yeah. If you've ever been in love for real, you probably know what it's like. That constant feeling in your chest. The way you stop caring for other things. The way your brain stops working correctly. The last days, I have had what feels like a boulder in my throat. I've completely lost my appetite and I wake up in the middle of the night. I have a hard time focusing because she's on my mind constantly. Judging by my own experience, I really am in love.

I KNOW that chances are high I'll never meet her in real life, and I KNOW that there is still a lot to learn about her. And I'm still not sure how she really feels about me but for now, I just want to keep walking around as a blissful zombie.

rhan

Smash Hero
That's cute.

But honestly you might not want to obsess over her too much. After she is on the other side of the world. Don't give up though. You'll meet her one day. All you have to do is believe and try your best. :)

•Col•

Smash Champion
Seeing as how you only met a "few days ago", and you met online, I think you're moreso in love with the idea of being in love, or you want someone to love, or something. Like you even pointed out, you don't even know her all that well.... I guess it could be possible, but.... I already have a hard time believing in the saying "love at first sight"... <_<

And another thing you pointed out.... You live very far away from eachother... It would be difficult to meet, and you might not at all... Then again, none of this may even matter, as she might not even like you... >.>;;

Not trying to be mean or anything, I'm just saying... You can do whatever you want, lol.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Well, I'm glad that you are happy. Just try not to get too emotionally invested.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Link to original post: Frown has fallen in love

side of the world? Well yeah. If you've ever been in love for real, you probably know what it's like. That constant feeling in your chest. The way you stop caring for other things. The way your brain stops working correctly. The last days, I have had what feels like a boulder in my throat. I've completely lost my appetite and I wake up in the middle of the night. I have a hard time focusing because she's on my mind constantly. Judging by my own experience, I really am in love.
This definitely sounds like infatuation. Infatuation can lead to love, but they're not the same thing. Love is a more mature feeling than what you've described here (not to mention that you've talked to her once and never actually met her).

I don't agree that you're in love with being in love, that's something entirely different. My only advice is to recognize this as infatuation, and enjoy it as such. People place too much stock in the concept of "being in love," when infatuation gets you all of the fun without any of the the responsibility.

That's not meant to minimize your feelings (another problem with "love;" people think that if you're not throwing that word out then your feelings are worthless), but you're only 17. Love is hard work, and you have other things to worry about I'm sure, whereas a nice infatuation can pretty much be milked just for the good feelings without investing too much.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Love: when a relationship begins to suck but you still stick with it.

Responsibility: when you blame yourself for other people's mistakes.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Man with every new revelation on SWF, I sometimes feel that the world is falling apart piece by piece.

john!

Smash Hero
Every thread like this has the "doubters" who think it's impossible to have true love in high school. It's just infatuation! Yeah, all those people happily married to their high school sweethearts were just infatuated.

Get real.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Love: when a relationship begins to suck but you still stick with it.
This is the most ******** thing I heard here. If it was love, the relationship wouldn't suck, and if it does and you do stick with it, you're doing it wrong. Being in love isn't an obligation to stick together
(btw, this all theorycraft, I don't play the love game)

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I know exactly what you mean. I couldn't stop thinking about this girl that I met over the summer, for a few months. I couldn't get her out of my mind. Even though she lives in France I still thought about her.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Every thread like this has the "doubters" who think it's impossible to have true love in high school. It's just infatuation! Yeah, all those people happily married to their high school sweethearts were just infatuated.

Get real.
Love is a developmental thing imo.

I'm just hardpressed to believe that you can fall in love with someone you've never met in the course of a day.

I wouldn't even say anything if they'd been talking for months or so, but yeah.

There's a constant nagging in my head that tells me Frown is trolling, but I just can't rule out the possibility that he's also super infatuated.

Frown

poekmon
Well, I was kinda drunk on hormones yesterday.

I mean, I REALLY care for this girl, even more so yesterday. Like most of you say, it's probably just temporary.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Don't discredit it so easily though. A single night spent in romance is just as important to your life as a life spent with the one. Life is about experience flabergasted to be in each others prescene. None are more important than others. Time spent relaxing is just as important as time spent working, same with relationships.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
definitely sounds like infatuation but that's not necessarily a bad thing... and love is what you make of it, really, so if you really think you may love her, awesome! I met my wife online, and never looked back. and crashic's got this, even if your relationship ends up dissolving, what you have now the moments you share now are worth it and yours and hers to cherish. glad to hear someone's having fun anyway :p

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖

Get real.
The statistic that floats around the internet is that marrying your high school sweetheart occurs less than 2% of the time. I have attempted to find an actual source but was unable to come up with one (CBS stated that among women they polled, 25% stated they married their first love). Again polling is difficult as "love" is often defined in hind-sight rather than in the moment. But the statistics show that among married women, "first love" does not necessarily lead to marriage. So I believe that I'm being realistic according to statistics.

On a logical level, real things happen to people outside of high school. While in school you are extremely naive to meeting expectations of the work force, making sure to meet deadlines, and managing different aspects of your life. Giving up time for a solid relationship costs you hours and possible job promotions because you decided to put those hours into taking care of your child. There is no more mommy and daddy who you can cry and turn to as your safety blanket when you can't meet expectations lined out for you from a Fortune 500 company. And these pressures eventually creep into the relationship, into your beloved spouse, and even into your own child.

The term "happily married" I feel is happily misconceived. There are new responsibilities when anyone has a relationship. The fact that you have a partner who you want to impress and work hard for is a joy at first. As you get older, she may not seem as attractive or entertaining. But you made a pact and an obligation that you would be there for here, in life and death. If your partner isn't reliable and you feel that he/she doesn't put as much into the relationship as you do in order to make it work, these things can wear you down and make you question why you decided to dedicate a very large portion of your life for this significant other.

Only time can attest for whether or not infatuation is really love. And even then, time is not the accurate term, but rather growth. There are plenty of adults in the workforce who are still as immature and irresponsible as they were in high school. If you want me to get "real", then I suggest you explain to me how I should get "real." As in my mind, I'm the only person who attempts to rationally find a reason for my opinions rather than simply accepting my opinions as fact.

This is the most ******** thing I heard here. If it was love, the relationship wouldn't suck, and if it does and you do stick with it, you're doing it wrong. Being in love isn't an obligation to stick together
(btw, this all theorycraft, I don't play the love game)
I was partially joking in offering blatantly pessimistic definitions that contain a grain of truth. Responsibility is all about being accountable for yourself. But this also means being responsible and looking out for your co-workers and class-mates. This is especially true in the workforce.

In Organic Chemistry, it would take one person 10 hours to synthesize all the intermediate enzymes and carbon compounds required to run the whole reaction. The work was split up where each one of us was responsible for designing a specific step to that we could see the reaction run to completion. One guy who was pre-med, was seriously screwing up because he couldn't pipette correctly and do basic dosage calculations. Basically if the end-product failed, we all failed. So we assumed responsibility and took turns tutoring him in order to make sure that he finally got his part of the experiment done correctly. It was a pain in the butt. But that was the responsible method of action.

In regards to the topic at hand, marriages are built on trust and responsibility. If your wife finds a more attractive partner, who makes her life wonderful in all the ways that you couldn't, then she shouldn't abandon you simply because she found a better mate. She made a promise that she would be yours for life and for death. She loves you, therefore she will stick with you. Even if there are better fish in the sea who are vying for her love and attention.

Compound this circumstances with your partner possibly losing their job, especially in light of the recent recession, makes things difficult. In The Office, David Wallace loses his job as a corporate CEO and is having a blast doing nothing and swimming around in existentialistic pointlessness. If you watch the reactions of his wife, she doesn't know who he is anymore. He's changed completely from being this critically goal oriented man, to being a childish optimist. When Michael Scott drives to his home in order to get advice from his former CEO, he is aghast to find this "weird creature" that is "living in David Wallace's house."

In a sense, your job becomes your life that you dedicate to your significant other. If you are so used to telling your loved one that you are working for the kids, the family, and the relationship; what happens when you no longer have a job to work for. The irony is that you love someone, therefore you want to spend time with them. But when you begin to live together, you discover that you have responsibilities. And that in order to fulfill these responsibilities and live together, you need to separate from each other in order to earn the wages just to make a home for both of you to return to at the end of the day. Adding a kid into the mix means having less time for you to love each other. At times like these, it's easy to drift apart and for complications to occur. The most important indicator to show that you really love each other is to stick with the relationship when things get tough. To me that's more an indicator of love than flaking out in the relationship to find someone better.

I have my own reasons for feeling very strongly on this issue. My opinions are unfortunately not just theory craft. My mother came to me on numerous occasions, scared that the relationship with my dad wasn't working out. I didn't always encourage her to be submissive and to stick with the relationship. I had to dig under and find out the real issues and always offered her numerous choices. At times I comforted her, assuring her that everything would be alright. Other times I have told her that she was being unrealistic and should realize her fears were over-exaggerated. I believe my parents love each other, but they could have found better partners to match with instead of having an arranged marriage.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Internet + romance = not gonna happen. I got out of a stupid one myself a few months back and im **** happy i did. Theres just so much stuff you cant control, and being able to trust some person or what they say is hard enough to do already.

People change when they're in love, just dont go there unless you know them irl. It makes things alot easier when they're infront of you and you can actually read their facial expressions and touch their hand.

On a logical level, real things happen to people outside of high school. While in school you are extremely naive to meeting expectations of the work force, making sure to meet deadlines, and managing different aspects of your life. Giving up time for a solid relationship costs you hours and possible job promotions because you decided to put those hours into taking care of your child. There is no more mommy and daddy who you can cry and turn to as your safety blanket when you can't meet expectations lined out for you from a Fortune 500 company. And these pressures eventually creep into the relationship, into your beloved spouse, and even into your own child.
Keyword balance. The divorce rate is still relatively high in the US because of those factors mentioned in the quote and also because married couples cant handle the stress that comes with having a family in this age. So instead of working it out and adjusting their lifestyles. They just bail on one another and give the kid to whoever wants it.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
The statistic that floats around the internet is that marrying your high school sweetheart occurs less than 2% of the time. I have attempted to find an actual source but was unable to come up with one (CBS stated that among women they polled, 25% stated they married their first love). Again polling is difficult as "love" is often defined in hind-sight rather than in the moment. But the statistics show that among married women, "first love" does not necessarily lead to marriage. So I believe that I'm being realistic according to statistics.

The term "happily married" I feel is happily misconceived. There are new responsibilities when anyone has a relationship. The fact that you have a partner who you want to impress and work hard for is a joy at first. As you get older, she may not seem as attractive or entertaining. But you made a pact and an obligation that you would be there for here, in life and death. If your partner isn't reliable and you feel that he/she doesn't put as much into the relationship as you do in order to make it work, these things can wear you down and make you question why you decided to dedicate a very large portion of your life for this significant other.

Only time can attest for whether or not infatuation is really love. And even then, time is not the accurate term, but rather growth. There are plenty of adults in the workforce who are still as immature and irresponsible as they were in high school. If you want me to get "real", then I suggest you explain to me how I should get "real." As in my mind, I'm the only person who attempts to rationally find a reason for my opinions rather than simply accepting my opinions as fact.

I was partially joking in offering blatantly pessimistic definitions that contain a grain of truth. Responsibility is all about being accountable for yourself. But this also means being responsible and looking out for your co-workers and class-mates. This is especially true in the workforce.

In Organic Chemistry, it would take one person 10 hours to synthesize all the intermediate enzymes and carbon compounds required to run the whole reaction. The work was split up where each one of us was responsible for designing a specific step to that we could see the reaction run to completion. One guy who was pre-med, was seriously screwing up because he couldn't pipette correctly and do basic dosage calculations. Basically if the end-product failed, we all failed. So we assumed responsibility and took turns tutoring him in order to make sure that he finally got his part of the experiment done correctly. It was a pain in the butt. But that was the responsible method of action.

In regards to the topic at hand, marriages are built on trust and responsibility. If your wife finds a more attractive partner, who makes her life wonderful in all the ways that you couldn't, then she shouldn't abandon you simply because she found a better mate. She made a promise that she would be yours for life and for death. She loves you, therefore she will stick with you. Even if there are better fish in the sea who are vying for her love and attention.

Compound this circumstances with your partner possibly losing their job, especially in light of the recent recession, makes things difficult. In The Office, David Wallace loses his job as a corporate CEO and is having a blast doing nothing and swimming around in existentialistic pointlessness. If you watch the reactions of his wife, she doesn't know who he is anymore. He's changed completely from being this critically goal oriented man, to being a childish optimist. When Michael Scott drives to his home in order to get advice from his former CEO, he is aghast to find this "weird creature" that is "living in David Wallace's house."

In a sense, your job becomes your life that you dedicate to your significant other. If you are so used to telling your loved one that you are working for the kids, the family, and the relationship; what happens when you no longer have a job to work for. The irony is that you love someone, therefore you want to spend time with them. But when you begin to live together, you discover that you have responsibilities. And that in order to fulfill these responsibilities and live together, you need to separate from each other in order to earn the wages just to make a home for both of you to return to at the end of the day. Adding a kid into the mix means having less time for you to love each other. At times like these, it's easy to drift apart and for complications to occur. The most important indicator to show that you really love each other is to stick with the relationship when things get tough. To me that's more an indicator of love than flaking out in the relationship to find someone better.

I have my own reasons for feeling very strongly on this issue. My opinions are unfortunately not just theory craft. My mother came to me on numerous occasions, scared that the relationship with my dad wasn't working out. I didn't always encourage her to be submissive and to stick with the relationship. I had to dig under and find out the real issues and always offered her numerous choices. At times I comforted her, assuring her that everything would be alright. Other times I have told her that she was being unrealistic and should realize her fears were over-exaggerated. I believe my parents love each other, but they could have found better partners to match with instead of having an arranged marriage.

If only all posts could be this amazing.

john!

Smash Hero
I just dislike people who are so skeptical about love. It almost seems bitter. Like if someone's in love and they want to tell others about it, the last thing they need to hear is "no you're not in love". Talk about being shot down.

My honest advice: take it slow.

REL38

Smash Lord
Internet + romance = not gonna happen. I got out of a stupid one myself a few months back and im **** happy i did. Theres just so much stuff you cant control, and being able to trust some person or what they say is hard enough to do already.
Trufax

The likelyhood a healthy relationship can even stay afloat via written/text responses and phone calls is very, very low.
Nigh impossible

Keyword balance. The divorce rate is still relatively high in the US because of those factors mentioned in the quote and also because married couples cant handle the stress that comes with having a family in this age. So instead of working it out and adjusting their lifestyles. They just bail on one another and give the kid to whoever wants it.

I thought the divorce rate in America is so high because it's become far more socially acceptable and easy?
But then again, I guess that still runs in correlation with what you said

I just dislike people who are so skeptical about love. It almost seems bitter. Like if someone's in love and they want to tell others about it, the last thing they need to hear is "no you're not in love". Talk about being shot down.

With someone he'll most likely never meet IRL?
:confused:

•Col•

Smash Champion

Geez, we're just being realistic here. :/ I believe it is totally possible to fall in love over the internet or whatever... But I also believe that it takes longer for it to happen than if you knew the person IRL.

Seeing as how he only knew the person for a few days, and probably have only spoken to her a couple times, its kinda doubtful. STILL POSSIBLE. But unlikely. (No offense, Frown :p )

Anyway, like others have said, being infatuated is still nice... xD And yeah, could still lead to love.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Trufax

The likelyhood a healthy relationship can even stay afloat via written/text responses and phone calls is very, very low.
Nigh impossible

I thought the divorce rate in America is so high because it's become far more socially acceptable and easy?
But then again, I guess that still runs in correlation with what you said

With someone he'll most likely never meet IRL?
:confused:

Divorce is probably one of the expensive and stressful things to go through. Simply writing it off as easy is something you should reconsider. Theres alot of legal matters involved with the split up.

AKC12

Smash Journeyman
If you are going to fall for someone over the internet, then make sure you plan on meeting each other somehow. If that isn't possible, no matter how true the feelings are, it's not going to work out.

I've been in your position multiple times. The first girl literally lives in the other side of the world. Then the next girl I met over Maplestory who lived in CA and planned on going a college near mine suddenly stopped going on MSN. Now again, I've fallen in love but this time there is a sure chance she will move to my location.

I wasted so much time with the first two women, it was a reason why I screwed up my first semester of college. Not as much with my current girl. Just don't let your life be run by her and unless you two can somehow meet relatively soon, you are unlikely to ever get together with her.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
Meet her in RL. Go on a few dates for a week and see if you still like her.
Perhaps she doesn't look as cute as you might think she is. Or worse yet, perhaps she's pretending to be somebody else because the internetz is simply that easy.

I'll continue following this thread.

But eh, best thing is to 'fall in love' with a girl you've met in real life.
So much less complicated, oh dear. And it's much easier to find out if it's real or not.
Really.

There's that one thing people often say, "It's a good thing to meet people online. Because you get to truly know them."

Well, if that person is truly who she/he is, sure. It's a good thing.
But there's that one thing people often overlook, bad points. Mood swings and the likes.
You've got to manage such things in a relationship, but it seems that the netz always make people smile.

If anything, online relationships are far more superficial than real life ones. Considering the fact that you simply don't see the negative parts of one.

Just so you know, you just triggered a Lady Gaga song in my head.

On topic: Keep it casual. Nothing wrong with crushing on someone; just be realistic about it.
Exactly my thoughts. Just keep it real and don't let it get over your head.

Frown

poekmon
Ok, I kinda snapped out of it now. We talked about it, and we agreed that this had gone way too far. I'm back on Earth now, but the last week was among the funnest I've ever had. And best of all - I'm not heartbroken!

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Ok, I kinda snapped out of it now. We talked about it, and we agreed that this had gone way too far. I'm back on Earth now, but the last week was among the funnest I've ever had. And best of all - I'm not heartbroken!
Now what'd I tell you?

Love is a developmental thang.

Pokemon Z RPG

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZRPGHD
3DS FC
0602-6462-1864
My advice? I'd say if you enjoy speaking with her as much as you say you do, stick with it. If it's real love, you won't be bored of talking to her, and you will still like her as much as you say you do now. If a lot of time passes and you still feel this way, try planning a meet up IRL if you really want to. It is possible it was just a few days thing, but time will tell.

EDIT: lol I said that a little too late!

Top Bottom